[Today at 12:14:11 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by MUbiz
[Today at 11:35:26 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[Today at 09:41:03 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:26:19 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How many schools will come sniffing around Buzz?

2 (2.4%)
11 (13.4%)
23 (28%)
20 (24.4%)
5+
26 (31.7%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: How many coaching hunts will supposedly include Buzz?  (Read 3745 times)

tower912

• All American
How many coaching hunts will supposedly include Buzz?
« on: February 14, 2012, 12:14:37 PM »
I don't think Buzz is going anywhere.   In fact, after the jobs he passed on last year and what he said after he did it, I believe he is going to be here a long time.    And since I am so secure, I can sit back and treat the whole musical chairs carousel as entertainment.    So, how many schools are going to express interest in our coach?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: How many coaching hunts will supposedly include Buzz?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 12:20:29 PM »
Unless a school interviews their targets, there's really no way to know where there is legit interest or just rumors.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »
Already!? Seriously!?

Coaches will be sniffed at at every successful program that isn't named Indiana (sorry..but true), Duke, UNC, UCLA or Kansas. Other than those five, every friggin coach could be a candidate for something.

Can we all just get over this garbage of where/if/when Buzz leaves or is looked at? He's treated well by the school, students, the community and MU's bank.

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 01:27:53 PM »
Can we all just get over this garbage of where/if/when Buzz leaves or is looked at? He's treated well by the school, students, the community and MU's bank.

I don't think the point of the thread was to say that Buzz was going to have interest, just how many schools would say (rumors say) they wanted him. 

Never say never, but i don't think Buzz is going anywhere soon, and i hope everything with last year makes other schools not even bother. 

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »
Nada - really think his name does not come up.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:38:31 PM »
Buzz will be many schools' fantasy choice.
Have some patience, FFS.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 02:40:49 PM »
Buzz will be many schools' fantasy choice.

Is that a Freudian slip on this very special day? ;)

Buzz is a hot name and a likable person.

It's gonna take more than money, I believe, to draw him away.
Keep your eye on previous coaching relationships to be the "clincher" for the school that succeeds, IF it ever comes down to it.

God, I hope not.

With Huggy gone, Boeheim and Dixon to follow, Lavin's questionable return, and Calhoun's health faltering, Buzz is easily one of the top returning coaches in the BE.
SS Marquette

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »
I love Buzz, but I do find it hard to believe that so many bigger name schools are really that interested in him.  He's only been a head coach for a grand total of 4 years (this being his 5th).  I would think they would want someone with a longer track record, is all.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 03:25:16 PM »
I love Buzz, but I do find it hard to believe that so many bigger name schools are really that interested in him.  He's only been a head coach for a grand total of 4 years (this being his 5th).  I would think they would want someone with a longer track record, is all.

Maybe they'd be interested for the same reasons we are.

Put yourselves in the shoes of Texas. Who else would you put on your dream list of coaches if not Buzz Williams?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 03:31:09 PM »
Nada - really think his name does not come up.

His name will come up every year.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 03:37:35 PM »
His name will come up every year.

This.

If his name stops coming up for college coaching vacancies, one of two things will have happened:  1) Marquette will have slipped back into mediocrity and many here will probably want him gone anyway; or 2) Marquette will have sustained excellence for so long that his name will be coming up for NBA head coaching opportunities rather than NCAA openings.  Neither scenario is terribly likely in the next few years, so we might as well get used to the annual rumors.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 05:55:59 PM »
He will be mentioned as a candidate for every BCS conference school outside of the Big East that has a coaching vacancy.  All it takes is a lazy local beat writer regurgitating the same names heard for the last few years in his coaching search story. Buzz is one of the good young coaches around. As long as he is here and BCS schools are firing their coaches, you will be hearing his name.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 07:22:01 PM »
Indiana scout board has a fascinating thread about the potential Illinois hire.   Buzz figures prominently there, also.   With some nice insults directed MU's way toward the end of the thread.   Good stuff. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 07:37:31 PM »
Does Jay Wright get mentioned for other jobs?

I figure if Buzz keeps the team in the top 25 for enough years, these stories will go away, unless its one of the 5 or 6 uniquely elite jobs.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 08:04:15 PM »
Actually, in the last 6 pages of the 43 page Illinois thread, they do mention Jay Wright as a candidate who might be willing to go to the Illini.   

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 08:06:16 PM »
Indiana scout board has a fascinating thread about the potential Illinois hire.   Buzz figures prominently there, also.   With some nice insults directed MU's way toward the end of the thread.   Good stuff. 

Unrelated to the the thread at hand but.. I'm not sure if any here used to read/ comment on the threads on the JS stories a few years ago but there used to be a poster named AbeFroman who loved stirring the pot by ragging on MU with woe is me Chicos style posts.

Well after checking out the Indiana boards per Tower's suggestions who else but AbeFroman appears with 600 some posts. Always thought he was a troll but feels good to have validation, even if it's 3 years later. Just goes to show the internet is a very weird place.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 08:25:28 PM »
Actually, in the last 6 pages of the 43 page Illinois thread, they do mention Jay Wright as a candidate who might be willing to go to the Illini.   

Now that is delusional.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 08:33:04 PM »
Unrelated to the the thread at hand but.. I'm not sure if any here used to read/ comment on the threads on the JS stories a few years ago but there used to be a poster named AbeFroman who loved stirring the pot by ragging on MU with woe is me Chicos style posts.

Well after checking out the Indiana boards per Tower's suggestions who else but AbeFroman appears with 600 some posts. Always thought he was a troll but feels good to have validation, even if it's 3 years later. Just goes to show the internet is a very weird place.

Was StripedTomato there too?

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 08:40:31 PM »

I never put the 2 together, but now that you mention it, I would get the same sick feeling reading Abe's crap as reading Chicos.  Is he still an MSOE alum?  or is he a Purdue grad now?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 08:48:26 PM by ringout »

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 09:06:08 PM »
Was StripedTomato there too?

Not that I saw, but I don't visit the IU boards very often.

I never put the 2 together, but now that you mention it, I would get the same sick feeling reading Abe's crap as reading Chicos.  Is he still an MSOE alum?  or is he a Purdue grad now?

No idea what his schtick is now, but his one post I read did say Buzz or Shaka would be good hires for Illinois, ironic seeing as he never regarded Buzz very highly in his JS days.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 11:33:25 AM »
Let's go next level with this one: How many times will Buzz get rumored for a job that's open because a guy took a job that Buzz was rumored for?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 11:34:28 AM »
ESPN will bring up Buzz's name every year until he's at a blue-chip program.  Just the way ESPN rolls.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »
ESPN will bring up Buzz's name every year until he's at a blue-chip program.  Just the way ESPN trolls.

Corrected.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 01:17:58 PM »
Let's go next level with this one: How many times will Buzz get rumored for a job that's open because a guy took a job that Buzz was rumored for?

That, in one sentence, describes how Andy Katz spends his offseason.  Buzz will be rumored for as many jobs as can fit in Katz' rumor-mongering, fevered imagination.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 01:53:09 PM »
26 voting for 5+?  That's crazy.  AD's were not brain dead last year, they know who expressed interest in Buzz and how MU responded.  Still, there will be someone deluded like DePaul their last time out looking for a coach - We've got 3 million to offer!  Yeah, because you're not spending squat on facilities or recruiting - and there will be a couple like Oklahoma last year with big spending boosters who think that they are "just like Kentucky", so three is a very possible number.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback