Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: D. Wilson  (Read 4807 times)

StillWarriors

• All American
D. Wilson
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:59:11 AM »
Watched the second half again last night, and was really impressed with D. Wilson's D. Not that this was something new, but still impressive to see.  In back to back possessions he denied his man the ball all over the court leading to a MU steal, and then tipped it away from his man at half-court, drawing a foul on Cincy as they battled for the ball. When you think about how frosh often have no clue how to defend, Wilson is really tough. Mayo battles on D as well.

jsglow

• All American
Re: D. Wilson
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 10:13:34 AM »
Yep.  Love our Frosh guards.  Tons of potential down the road.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 03:54:27 PM »
Agreed.  Both Wilson and Mayo play like veterans.  They're both solid.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 04:09:19 PM »
Wilson is learning to defend without hand checking.  I think there is an offensive game hiding in there, but we'll never need him to be a scorer.  He'll be an excellent back-up PG over the years.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 04:25:20 PM »
Wilson is learning to defend without hand checking.  I think there is an offensive game hiding in there, but we'll never need him to be a scorer.  He'll be an excellent back-up PG over the years.
Why do you assume he's a career back-up? 

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 04:43:04 PM »
Mostly just a hunch.  It's certainly possible he starts after Junior graduates.  But I think that Blue starts at the point his senior year.  And the way Buzz recruits, I expect highly rated players to keep coming in.  But I look at Wilson and see a solid, but never great, player.  I certainly hope he proves me wrong.

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 05:23:27 PM »

After the game Buzz stood at half court with his arm around Wilson talking in his ear then patted him on his shoulder and the two walked off.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
I really think before he's done that DWil will show some O.

RyanConroy

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 10:36:56 PM »
I legitimately believe that Derrick Wilson is too smart and too great of a guy not to become a pillar of the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 teams. I don't think his skills will restrict his character and intelligence.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 03:57:54 AM »
I know that junior was injured, but Wilson is much better than him as a freshman. It isn't hard to see that with development that Wilson will be a more than adequate replacement in a couple of years.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 06:16:20 AM »
I know that junior was injured, but Wilson is much better than him as a freshman. It isn't hard to see that with development that Wilson will be a more than adequate replacement in a couple of years.
hope you're right, but i'm far from buying it yet.  i'm not sure i ever see him being able to finish at the rim or consistently hit an open three.  a mid-range game seems like a dream at best.  we've seen buzz put the pressure on junior to attack the rim, especially against the zone, and he's hit the open 3 at times, but teams still play way off him and help off him, which doesn't help the likes of DJO, Mayo, Blue, etc.  Would love to see us with a point guard of that skill set that can also knock down the open 3 at a good %.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 06:46:17 AM »

I totally agree.  He plays like a vet, and he is only a freshman getting back up minutes.  I think he has a higher ceiling that people are giving him credit for.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 06:50:10 AM »
I would hope Buzz recruits a point guard with an overall skill set who's better than DW. If MU isn't known as a school that produces big time 4's and 5's, then quality guards are somethin' we gotta hang our hat on, or subsequently spend a lotta time in the out house.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 07:28:42 AM »
hope you're right, but i'm far from buying it yet.  i'm not sure i ever see him being able to finish at the rim or consistently hit an open three.  a mid-range game seems like a dream at best.   we've seen buzz put the pressure on junior to attack the rim, especially against the zone, and he's hit the open 3 at times, but teams still play way off him and help off him, which doesn't help the likes of DJO, Mayo, Blue, etc.  Would love to see us with a point guard of that skill set that can also knock down the open 3 at a good %.
You do realize that he was a 17+ PPG scorer for three years before coming to MU, right?  Where he played in high/prep school ain't the Big East but he was playing against high D1 caliber competition if what has been posted on here is true. 

He can score.  His role at present is to play hard-nosed D and take care of the ball. He's playing his role...nothing more and nothing less, which to me is the sign of a smart team-first player.  If you interpret that as "he's never going to be able to make a layup" a whole 25 games into his career at MU, then I'm not sure what else to say. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 07:43:34 AM »
You do realize that he was a 17+ PPG scorer for three years before coming to MU, right?  Where he played in high/prep school ain't the Big East but he was playing against high D1 caliber competition if what has been posted on here is true. 

He can score.  His role at present is to play hard-nosed D and take care of the ball. He's playing his role...nothing more and nothing less, which to me is the sign of a smart team-first player.  If you interpret that as "he's never going to be able to make a layup" a whole 25 games into his career at MU, then I'm not sure what else to say. 

i didn't watch him in high school...but his scoring, rating, etc. mean very little to me at this point.  i've watched him over the summer a bit, and i've obviously watched him this year.  my thought is we'd be lucky if he developed into the next junior, and i'd like to see mu with a better scoring point guard.  junior has improved in certain areas, hopefully d. wilson will as well, but until he can make a free-throw he can't even finish a game if needed.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 07:49:43 AM »
i didn't watch him in high school...but his scoring, rating, etc. mean very little to me at this point.  i've watched him over the summer a bit, and i've obviously watched him this year.  my thought is we'd be lucky if he developed into the next junior, and i'd like to see mu with a better scoring point guard.  junior has improved in certain areas, hopefully d. wilson will as well, but until he can make a free-throw he can't even finish a game if needed.
Harsh and a way premature judgement.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 07:51:20 AM »
hope you're right, but i'm far from buying it yet.  i'm not sure i ever see him being able to finish at the rim or consistently hit an open three.  a mid-range game seems like a dream at best.  we've seen buzz put the pressure on junior to attack the rim, especially against the zone, and he's hit the open 3 at times, but teams still play way off him and help off him, which doesn't help the likes of DJO, Mayo, Blue, etc.  Would love to see us with a point guard of that skill set that can also knock down the open 3 at a good %.

While I would agree that a little more point production from the 1 would be a positive, I was simply comparing Junior to DWilson.  Remember, it really took until the WVU game in the BE tournament for the collective MU Scoop to feel comfortable with Junior running the team.  I don't think it is too much of a stretch to project Wilson to that level by this time next year.  And Wilson is already a better defender than Junior.  (Although Junior has improved this year.)

As for Blue, I wonder if he is going to be able to handle at the point for major minutes, or if he is better as an undersized wing given he rebounding ability.  And I am all for bringing in a point like Duane Wilson in 2013.  That gives him two years to learn before taking over the position himself.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 08:06:55 AM »
Wilson does not score, because he does not shoot the ball. He knows his role and does not try to do what he is not suppose to. I have no doubt he would average 10 points a game, if he was taking 10 shots a game.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 08:20:25 AM »

Can't compare the freshman season for both.  Remember, people were shocked that Junior did not redshirt.  He missed all of camp (blew out his achilles on 9-18), all of the non-conference and some of the conference schedule (missed the first 18 games).  Had DWill done the same, he likely would not be playing at all right now.  Plus, when Junior returned, not only was he out of synch with the players, but Buzz was comfortable with the Acker/Cubillan combo at PG.

Remember, also, it was not that long ago that DWill had some DNP - Coaches decisions next to his name.  That, and very limited time in some games.

I like DWill, but not sure on his full potential at this point.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 11:52:45 AM »
Harsh and a way premature judgement.
it's not really a judgement, but rather a prediction, which in nature is premature.  i sure as heck hope i'm wrong, but i don't think he has a ceiling as high as junior's, and i think buzz can/will recruit better pg's than junior as well.  not trying to be harsh...i just think it was a fair comment from whomever said they see him as a career back-up.  maybe that's just the type of point guard buzz wants...seems a lot like junior to me. 

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 11:58:34 AM »
how do you know derrick wilson is not a good outside shooter... becuase he has deffered to this point?

i think by his junior year wilson will be a better ball handler and defender than Junior is right now.  i also think he seems really really smart and anything he lacks in athleticism or skill he will make in BBAll IQ ala a Brandin Knight or a MAteen Cleaves.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 12:03:23 PM »
it's not really a judgement, but rather a prediction, which in nature is premature.  i sure as heck hope i'm wrong, but i don't think he has a ceiling as high as junior's, and i think buzz can/will recruit better pg's than junior as well.  not trying to be harsh...i just think it was a fair comment from whomever said they see him as a career back-up.  maybe that's just the type of point guard buzz wants...seems a lot like junior to me. 
Semantics. Predictions are judgements put into words and IMO we haven't seen enough of his play to come to your conclusions. Just my two cents.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
how do you know derrick wilson is not a good outside shooter... becuase he has deffered to this point?

i think by his junior year wilson will be a better ball handler and defender than Junior is right now.  i also think he seems really really smart and anything he lacks in athleticism or skill he will make in BBAll IQ ala a Brandin Knight or a MAteen Cleaves.

Watching him in warm ups and games, I do not think that his outside shot is his strong suit.  I also think he has deferred on the outside shot for a reason.  Now, that does not mean that I don't see him improving and getting stronger in that area of his game.  I do.

Anyone notice the reaction of Buzz and the bench when Derrick made the 1st FT against Cincy?  I could be reading too much into it, but they seemed surprised and elated at the same time.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 12:20:19 PM by MUMac »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 01:05:20 PM »
Wilson does not score, because he does not shoot the ball. He knows his role and does not try to do what he is not suppose to. I have no doubt he would average 10 points a game, if he was taking 10 shots a game.

Didn't Buzz say on the Inside Marquette Basketball segment about D Wilson that he is instructed not to shoot because he is such a bad shooter?  One of those Buzz comments that is sorta joking but seems to have more than a kernel of truth to it. 

Our halfcourt offense suffers when Cadougan and Blue are left alone at the 3 point line and refuse to shoot. (Of course it might suffer more if they actually did shoot more often) It is tough to dribble penetrate when your jumper is not respected.  Cadougan strikes me as a better shooter than Wilson, but he's got two years on him and is only now really starting to show some confidence in his jump shot from 15-20 feet. 

To be fully effective, a PG has to be a real threat to score.  It's wildly early to speculate on what D Wilson will become, but if he doesn't find a way to get his own points from time to time he will not be the PG of the future.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 01:22:37 PM »
Didn't Buzz say on the Inside Marquette Basketball segment about D Wilson that he is instructed not to shoot because he is such a bad shooter?  One of those Buzz comments that is sorta joking but seems to have more than a kernel of truth to it. 

Our halfcourt offense suffers when Cadougan and Blue are left alone at the 3 point line and refuse to shoot. (Of course it might suffer more if they actually did shoot more often) It is tough to dribble penetrate when your jumper is not respected.  Cadougan strikes me as a better shooter than Wilson, but he's got two years on him and is only now really starting to show some confidence in his jump shot from 15-20 feet. 

To be fully effective, a PG has to be a real threat to score.  It's wildly early to speculate on what D Wilson will become, but if he doesn't find a way to get his own points from time to time he will not be the PG of the future.

A little off topic, but I think the next step for Junior is to learn to look for and make open 3's.

Often when he gets the ball he's already moving into his first move (usually driving) instead of having his feet set.

I know he's not a great shooter, but if Junior can knock down 1 or 2 per game, he would be a much better player (teams couldn't rotate off of him or simply go under any screen/rolls)

Probably won't happen this year, but they will need Junior to make some 3's next year as MU loses it's 2 best shooters.

Same goes for Vander, but he has more raw skills, so he can probably get by without taking many 3's.

feedback