[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Beth Mowins and Tim Welsh Announcing Game Today  (Read 1937 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Beth Mowins and Tim Welsh Announcing Game Today
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
Couldn't make it to the BC today, so watched from home.  How Tim Welch is even employed is beyond me. He called Vander Todd Mayo on two seperate occasions, and never corrected himself when it was obvious to whom he was referring.

He said 'Cincy may get an 11 seed..........I would hate to be the 4 seed that has to face them in the tourney."  Last time that I checked 11 plays a 6, and i'm not even on the payroll .  These second class announcers that we seem to get, are so eager to provide listeners with proof of their 'homework' that they did an hour before the game--regardless of the actoin on the floor.  If I had better reception where I live, I would have turned on Homer and Mac.

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Beth Mowins and Tim Welsh Announcing Game Today
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 07:44:38 PM »
I think I'm the only who kinda liked them today.  Announcers have been confusing Blue and Mayo all season (about the same size and single digit uniform numbers, I guess).  Tim Welsh is on the Big East show on SNY all the time and he's pretty pointless on that show, but I liked his humor today, particularly after Jones made his 3s.  Beth Mowins is professional and solid.  I used to hate the idea of women calling these games, but the ones doing college basketball are pretty good.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 08:03:32 PM »
Couldn't make it to the BC today, so watched from home.  How Tim Welch is even employed is beyond me. He called Vander Todd Mayo on two seperate occasions, and never corrected himself when it was obvious to whom he was referring.

He said 'Cincy may get an 11 seed..........I would hate to be the 4 seed that has to face them in the tourney."  Last time that I checked 11 plays a 6, and i'm not even on the payroll .  These second class announcers that we seem to get, are so eager to provide listeners with proof of their 'homework' that they did an hour before the game--regardless of the actoin on the floor.  If I had better reception where I live, I would have turned on Homer and Mac.

three mistakes all game?  wow, what an amateur.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 08:06:09 PM »
I agree that Beth Mowins is solid and a good announcer.  Welsh was awful.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 08:20:32 PM »

I see your mistake.  You thought he meant in the opening round.  He really meant in the Elite 8 game.   ;)

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 08:57:28 PM »
Welsh was awful. He kept referring to our freshman as unknown players, when most of them were Top 100 high school players. He seems to amuse only himself. Mowins was solid which made up for Welsh' incoherent thoughts.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 09:07:55 PM »
her and mike kelley would make a good team.  welsh was almost as bad as he was coaching.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 02:05:39 PM »
The MU/Depaul women's BB game is on ESPN2 right now.  Beth Mowins is doing this game. 

I wonder of Mowins has had an all MU weekend before?

And, let me repeat what I wrote above, she is really solid as a play-by-play announcer, both for Men's and Women's games.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »
welsh: Couldn't recruit, can't announce.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »
Yeah! I knew Al Mcguire and Welsh is no Al McGuire.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 03:00:43 PM »
The MU/Depaul women's BB game is on ESPN2 right now.  Beth Mowins is doing this game. 

I wonder of Mowins has had an all MU weekend before?

And, let me repeat what I wrote above, she is really solid as a play-by-play announcer, both for Men's and Women's games.

How does Gabby look?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 03:02:49 PM »
I think I'm the only who kinda liked them today.  Announcers have been confusing Blue and Mayo all season (about the same size and single digit uniform numbers, I guess).  Tim Welsh is on the Big East show on SNY all the time and he's pretty pointless on that show, but I liked his humor today, particularly after Jones made his 3s.  Beth Mowins is professional and solid.  I used to hate the idea of women calling these games, but the ones doing college basketball are pretty good.

I kind of liked Welsh too.  I thought there were a few times when he pointed out specific scenarios that were actually a little insightful.  For instance, he said Cincy should add another ball handler when we were forcing all those TO's, and he called out our 2H defense for not being aggressive enough in the half-court.

I didn't find him awful.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.