[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Criticism of MU Inbounds  (Read 3459 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Criticism of MU Inbounds
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:55:03 AM »
We are up 3, inbounding the ball from the baseline with about a minute left in the game.  Up by 5 pts, or at least up by 3 with closer to 30 seconds should be our goal at this point.

Nova puts that 6' 11" Sutton guy on the inbounder and we counter with.........6' Junior.

JC shockingly can't get the ball inbounds and burns a TO--which was very close to the 4/5 count so we were pretty lucky to even be allowed that TO.

Out of the TO, J wilson is now inbounding the ball.  His pass is deflected on its way to a cutting Crowder and last touched by DJO.  Nova ball, no time off the clock.

I know, I know we won the game and people on here don't want to hear any criticism after any win.

However, in the near future, against better competition, something like this could come back to bite us in the ass.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Criticism of MU Inbounds
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 08:57:08 AM »
They like to use JC on inbounds plays because he makes good decisions.  But you would rather have a bigger guy inbound the ball.  I don't understand why they just didn't send someone deep.  I know you don't like to throw the ball toward your own basket in that situation, but there was no safety valve.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 08:57:18 AM »
Very true.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • βœ… Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 08:58:35 AM »
DG inbounding the ball with our fast guys flying around the floor would be a lot of fun to watch.  That dude can really pass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 09:00:47 AM »
In a couple of previous games in similar critical situations, the inbounds pass went to Gardner in the corner. Both times, he was trapped aggressively. One led to a turnover, the other to a fortunate bail-out foul call.

We clearly need to do a better job in these situations ... but I'm not saying anything Buzz doesn't already know.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 10:29:14 AM »
I've posted about this before.  Our out of bounds play sucks.  We ran the same stupid play 3 times in a row.  We always run that same play and half the time we turn the ball over.  Most other teams just throw the ball deep and play on.  We need to change our 1 play.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 10:31:42 AM »
This is a long standing problem I've mentioned before, as well.  It seems we turn the ball over when inbounding under our own basket about a third of the time.  While other teams look to get layups off of those plays, we seem to be lucky just to safely inbound the ball.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:42:17 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 10:39:05 AM »
Buzz has said the team spend a considerable amount of practice time on "special teams": inbound plays and out of timeout/end of clock scenarios.  If it's really such a point of emphasis something just isn't working since it seems this is an area we really struggle.  Not getting a good inbound and defending an inbound have been tough.  And the end of clock timeouts have been least effective, just seems to confuse the team and result in someone chucking a contested three.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 10:43:33 AM »
We are up 3, inbounding the ball from the baseline with about a minute left in the game.  Up by 5 pts, or at least up by 3 with closer to 30 seconds should be our goal at this point.

Nova puts that 6' 11" Sutton guy on the inbounder and we counter with.........6' Junior.

JC shockingly can't get the ball inbounds and burns a TO--which was very close to the 4/5 count so we were pretty lucky to even be allowed that TO.

Out of the TO, J wilson is now inbounding the ball.  His pass is deflected on its way to a cutting Crowder and last touched by DJO.  Nova ball, no time off the clock.

I know, I know we won the game and people on here don't want to hear any criticism after any win.

However, in the near future, against better competition, something like this could come back to bite us in the ass.

So glad you brought this up.  There seems to be a problem in several games on a very basic, fundamental play.  JC often throws the ball up in an attempt to arc it over the defender and it becomes a 50-50 ball.  Yesterday we didn't do this, but we still managed to turn the ball over.  We also used Jamil Wilson to inbound on that play, which was a good change by Buzz.

If need be, we should be throwing it into the back court if need be.   I don't know why we struggle on this play so much this season.  Especially concerning is the placement of the inbound location.  On the baseline gives us many options, it's not as if we were on the sideline down by the corner.  An easy pass to the back court is all it would have taken.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 01:47:28 PM by Hoopaloop »
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 11:11:50 AM »
I've posted about this before.  Our out of bounds play sucks.  We ran the same stupid play 3 times in a row.  We always run that same play and half the time we turn the ball over.  Most other teams just throw the ball deep and play on.  We need to change our 1 play.

Sometimes it's execution, sometimes it's good play by the defense.  On the play in question, the first attempt should have been a basket by Crowder.  He was open and coming towards the hoop.  JC held it too long and then threw it late to DJO who was coming on the other side.  If he threw it in when he should have to Jae, it is 2 and possibly a +1.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 12:56:47 PM »
Sometimes it's execution, sometimes it's good play by the defense.  On the play in question, the first attempt should have been a basket by Crowder.  He was open and coming towards the hoop.  JC held it too long and then threw it late to DJO who was coming on the other side.  If he threw it in when he should have to Jae, it is 2 and possibly a +1.

Agree-Crowder was open cutting to the hoop and the pass was late getting there.  However that was when JC had been replaced after the TO, by J Wilson.  It was Wilson who inbounded it, Nova player tips it, DJO tries to grab it and it is a turnover.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 01:03:36 PM »
To be fair, that inbounds from that position is one of the most difficult plays in the game.  That is why you often see the inbounds pass just go into the backcourt.  At the end of the game though you can't do that.  They will gamble to try to get it and you set them up for an easy score.  The only real options are the short corner, the cutter to the hoop and the far corner.  A good big guarding the inbound can make the first two options a real hard pass.  The latter is difficult because of the angle and the length of the pass.

It always scares me to death at the end of the game when we have to inbound from there.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 01:05:27 PM »
It seems to me that this is the first year under Buzz that we are actually trying to develop some aggressive inbounds plays. Prior tp now we'd inbounds by going over the top of the defense, usually beyond the arc. Defensively, we were decent but not spectacular. No question that our approach has been better this year, but as the end of game performance showed vs Villanova, we struggle at crunch time.

I'd guess it's not been a high priority for Buzz but he's beginning to understand just how impactful it can be in close games.
Players win awards but teams win championships

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 01:12:49 PM »
I was amazed at our inabilty to inbound the ball late in the game. I kept looking for a long pass to the back court. We really looked inept and flustered at those times

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 01:14:51 PM »
I was amazed at our inabilty to inbound the ball late in the game. I kept looking for a long pass to the back court. We really looked inept and flustered at those times

Late in the game that is too dangerous of a pass.  You great a jump-ball situation with the potential for a 1-1 play at the other hoop.  You are better off turning it over under your basket and playing 5-5. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 01:38:45 PM »
When someone puts a 6'11"+ in front of you as you stand in a stationary position behind the baseline, there's not much you can do.

You can put a big guy to pass the ball in...or you can put a good passer in...what Buzz did

I vote the latter but especially the former IF he's a competent passer.
SS Marquette

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
Jamil Wilson threw the inbound pass, not JC
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 01:46:32 PM »
To be fair, that inbounds from that position is one of the most difficult plays in the game.  That is why you often see the inbounds pass just go into the backcourt.  At the end of the game though you can't do that.  They will gamble to try to get it and you set them up for an easy score.  The only real options are the short corner, the cutter to the hoop and the far corner.  A good big guarding the inbound can make the first two options a real hard pass.  The latter is difficult because of the angle and the length of the pass.

Why can't you do the backcourt play near the end of the game?  That is the right play.  You have a few screens in the front court and then leak out a player for the long pass.  It is not a hard play to execute.

Secondly, why are so many people here saying JC threw that inbound pass?  Jamil Wilson did, not JC.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »
It is a bit frustrating that we have trouble inbounding the ball.  And we mostly don't have an inbound/score play like other teams.  Could be our size or whatever.  Don't know.  And even when we are defending the inbounds, and don't have a guy on the inbounder, we rarely get a steal.

All in all, this is one hustling team that never quits and that is imporessive.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 03:09:35 PM »
The funny thing is this topic is on every teams message board a few times during the season.  Marquette is no better or worse than average most likely. Fans just notice the bad plays. My 8 year old had 4 turnovers in 4 inbounding opportunities yesterday, there's some room for improvement there. MU on the other hand messed up one high pressure one out of what 15-20?.. they are fine.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 04:32:32 PM »
Clearly your kid should attend Crean's camp and observe how Riley does it.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"