[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Just watched the game...  (Read 4448 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Just watched the game...
« on: January 16, 2012, 09:14:52 PM »
Man, that was a great game to watch. Here's the gist...

• Get home to find the VCR successfully recorded the game after not being used in years.
  • Girlfriend going to the gym, but wants me to wait to watch the game until she gets home. Not a MU grad, and hasn't avidly followed sports since high school...until we got together. Is it any wonder I love this woman?
  • Down 18-2? Really? 18-freaking 2? Against Loserville? Aaaaaaargh, I HATE this team. Truly, they are Loooooo-EVIL!!!
  • At least we showed up before the end of the first half. 12-2 run and we're right back in it.
  • Tied, and right into the lead! Gardner playing huge, DJO hitting shots, never thought we'd have a halftime lead after that start.
  • Really nice sequence by Blue, hits the jumper, 30 seconds later assists DJO's layup by doing the smart thing and not making the charge.
  • How did we go from 10-up to 2-up in the blink of an eye...don't tell me this is last year all over.
  • DG with the and-one. Crowder follows with a three. When Gardner is getting to the line, we do well.
  • Last 6 minutes, Jae would not let us lose. Rebounds, blocks, keeping possession by knocking the ball off UL players, and that absolute dagger across the throat three.
  • Really glad to send Loserville home with a loss. Lord, I hate that team. Hope they enjoyed their 18-2 lead while it lasted. Maybe they can borrow my VHS tape and just replay the first 6 minutes over about 7 times and convince themselves they actually won.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

patso

• Team Captain
Re: Just watched the game...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:47:21 PM »
cool recap brew city

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 09:51:55 PM »
What is this "VCR" you speak of?   ::)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »

LOL

You're telling me! First time I've used the thing since moving in with the missus. I'm always either off for the Marquette game or at the game, so I never worry about us not having a DVR (stupid condo complex cable). Today I woke up irritated that I couldn't watch the game and ran out to get VHS tapes. I went to the grocery store, nothing. Menards, nothing. Finally, Wal-Mart opened at 7 am...only to be told THEY didn't have them. Thankfully, the clerk didn't give up and finally we found some buried on the bottom of a shelf under the DVD-RWs.

Went home, couldn't figure out how to set the timer (remote for the VCR is lost) and so I told my girlfriend "it's on the right channel, just hit the record button at 3:00". Figured I'd miss the first 10-15 minutes, but today, that would have been a blessing. Then after I left, she got called into work and wasn't going to be home.

I am currently working about 20 minutes away from home. We had a 45 minute lunch, so I ran to the car, sped home (stopping for gas along the way), muddled my way through setting the VCR (made worse because the time is off and can't be reset...damn ghetto 1980s technology), and got back to work only 2 minutes late. Forgivable.

Got out of work at 4:30 and called home (she was back by then) to see if the game was recording. She said it looked like the VCR was on, so I avoided listening to Homer and Mac on the way home and was able to watch a grainy tape (my guess is by now, every VCR is so old that they only produce "grainy" tapes).

Thank god we won...I'd have been really irritated to have gone through all that crap for another Loserville heartbreaker.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 10:05:26 PM »

Had to explain to my young daughter what rewind meant.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 10:09:08 PM »
LOL

You're telling me! First time I've used the thing since moving in with the missus. I'm always either off for the Marquette game or at the game, so I never worry about us not having a DVR (stupid condo complex cable). Today I woke up irritated that I couldn't watch the game and ran out to get VHS tapes. I went to the grocery store, nothing. Menards, nothing. Finally, Wal-Mart opened at 7 am...only to be told THEY didn't have them. Thankfully, the clerk didn't give up and finally we found some buried on the bottom of a shelf under the DVD-RWs.

Went home, couldn't figure out how to set the timer (remote for the VCR is lost) and so I told my girlfriend "it's on the right channel, just hit the record button at 3:00". Figured I'd miss the first 10-15 minutes, but today, that would have been a blessing. Then after I left, she got called into work and wasn't going to be home.

I am currently working about 20 minutes away from home. We had a 45 minute lunch, so I ran to the car, sped home (stopping for gas along the way), muddled my way through setting the VCR (made worse because the time is off and can't be reset...damn ghetto 1980s technology), and got back to work only 2 minutes late. Forgivable.

Got out of work at 4:30 and called home (she was back by then) to see if the game was recording. She said it looked like the VCR was on, so I avoided listening to Homer and Mac on the way home and was able to watch a grainy tape (my guess is by now, every VCR is so old that they only produce "grainy" tapes).

Thank god we won...I'd have been really irritated to have gone through all that crap for another Loserville heartbreaker.

I'm sure that it was the age of the tape that was the problem.  It's truly a wonder that you found anywhere that had a VHS tape to sell.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »
I'm not sure what's more amazing.

1. That you were able to avoid knowing the score before watching it

2. That you have a VCR.....

;)

ps. DVRs are really pretty cool......you might want to check one out....

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 10:44:45 PM »
I have about 5 brand new never opened VCR tapes if you  want them...Live in Tosa...send me a pm if interested.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 02:33:21 AM »
LOL

You're telling me! First time I've used the thing since moving in with the missus. I'm always either off for the Marquette game or at the game, so I never worry about us not having a DVR (stupid condo complex cable).

What does "stupid condo complex cable" mean? You can't get a DVR box where you live?

If you can get a DVR, but choose not to have one, i don't get why and don't get why anyone passes on having a DVR.

Even if you or someone else doesn't watch a ton of TV, the DVR is still worth having IMO. At only 8 dollars a month, it's basically the cost of a more expensive brand of frozen pizza. I never miss or notice the 8 bucks being gone each month.

It's not only nice to be able to tape a show i like or game if i'm gone, it's sooooooo nice to be able to fast forward through all the commercials. Often i'll tape a show or game even if i'm home. Instead of watching it as it starts, i'll do other things i might need to be done and then watch the show or game, but be able to fast forward through the constant barrage of commercials. It's also so nice to be able to pause a show or game if something comes up which needs my attention.

Say a Marquette game, i can save about 35-45 minutes by fast forwarding through commercials and halftime. Save an hour watching a football game. Hell, sometimes when watching a game live, i find myself grabbing the remote thinking i should fast forward through a commercial. I can't imagine not having a DVR now.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 06:33:24 AM »
I have about 5 brand new never opened VCR tapes if you  want them...Live in Tosa...send me a pm if interested.

+1

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 06:34:08 AM »
I'm not sure what's more amazing.

1. That you were able to avoid knowing the score before watching it

2. That you have a VCR.....

;)

ps. DVRs are really pretty cool......you might want to check one out....

Love DVR, had one at my old place, but I really haven't needed one here...until yesterday, at least.

What does "stupid condo complex cable" mean? You can't get a DVR box where you live?

If it were as simple as just adding a DVR box, I'd do it in a heartbeat. However, our condo complex makes it a pain. First, we can only go through Time-Warner. I used to have U-Verse and loved it, now I can't even explore the option. U-Verse, or DirecTV, or any other option outside of TWC is a violation of our condo rules.

Second, the basic cable we have is part of what's provided by our condo fees. So every month, we pay the condo fees and they provide certain services for free. Snowplowing, groundskeeping, water utility, and of course, free cable. But if you want to change your cable, you have to have TWC come in. Usually not a big deal, except then you have to pay TWC exclusively. So I'd have to get the cable, all the boxes for the house, and not only pay for those as a new bill, but it wouldn't reduce my condo fees at all, so I'd basically be paying double the cost of cable, plus the DVR boxes, and all I'd be getting out of the deal would be the boxes.

Believe me, I love DVR. Had it for years before moving in with the girlfriend, and will probably at some point just say screw it and pay the double-dipping fee. But right now, while saving for a wedding, honeymoon, and paying for numerous home repairs that needed to be addressed as soon as I moved in, the DVR is one bill that can wait.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 07:09:25 AM »
Brew:

You need to call TWC, we have had them out to add HG, more outlets, etc and have never been charged an install fee or service fee, etc.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 07:14:31 AM »
Brew:

You need to call TWC, we have had them out to add HG, more outlets, etc and have never been charged an install fee or service fee, etc.

It's not the install fee, it's the double charge monthly fee I don't want. If we upgrade anything on our cable, we start getting a monthly cable bill, which is already incorporated into our condo fees. We'll be paying twice every month for our cable.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 09:08:32 AM »
you need to get on your condo board!

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 10:00:14 AM »
U-Verse, or DirecTV, or any other option outside of TWC is a violation of our condo rules.

I didn't think they were allowed to restrict that. http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule

Anyway, yes, everyone knows DVRs are great, but when mine went down a few years ago, I found I watched way less TV. Long term, that's got to be a good thing. (For the record, I have a DVR again and am back to my old habit :))
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »
It's not the install fee, it's the double charge monthly fee I don't want. If we upgrade anything on our cable, we start getting a monthly cable bill, which is already incorporated into our condo fees. We'll be paying twice every month for our cable.

When I was living on campus and Marquette provided cable with our rent, we were able to get a dvr box and even add on premium channels, but all we paid was the additional monthly fee.  They didn't double charge us for the basic cable part, so its definitely possible, though it sounds like your condo is set up differently.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 10:22:18 AM »

Brew,

My tennants have the same concern at the apartment I rent.  Our condo association pays for cable for everyone.  However two different tennants have added additional services and were only charged for those additional services.  This was ComCast... not sure everyone is the same.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 10:26:52 AM »
You can watch replays of any games shown on the ESPN family of networks through the ESPN website.  It's a nice backup if your DVR fails (or you don't have it).

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 10:39:58 AM »
Love DVR, had one at my old place, but I really haven't needed one here...until yesterday, at least.

If it were as simple as just adding a DVR box, I'd do it in a heartbeat. However, our condo complex makes it a pain. First, we can only go through Time-Warner. I used to have U-Verse and loved it, now I can't even explore the option. U-Verse, or DirecTV, or any other option outside of TWC is a violation of our condo rules.

Second, the basic cable we have is part of what's provided by our condo fees. So every month, we pay the condo fees and they provide certain services for free. Snowplowing, groundskeeping, water utility, and of course, free cable. But if you want to change your cable, you have to have TWC come in. Usually not a big deal, except then you have to pay TWC exclusively. So I'd have to get the cable, all the boxes for the house, and not only pay for those as a new bill, but it wouldn't reduce my condo fees at all, so I'd basically be paying double the cost of cable, plus the DVR boxes, and all I'd be getting out of the deal would be the boxes.

Believe me, I love DVR. Had it for years before moving in with the girlfriend, and will probably at some point just say screw it and pay the double-dipping fee. But right now, while saving for a wedding, honeymoon, and paying for numerous home repairs that needed to be addressed as soon as I moved in, the DVR is one bill that can wait.

I Think TiVo is a standalone service that can be used with any Cable Provider if the regular DVR is not an option and you really wanted it.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 10:46:56 AM »

And start getting in on the kick backs/$$$$$ that they receive.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 10:54:43 AM »
LOL

That's a heck of a story.  I'm glad you were able to watch the game.   :)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 04:03:20 PM »

No, you need to become the condo board president!  All of your troubles will melt away then!!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 04:46:11 PM »

I Think TiVo is a standalone service that can be used with any Cable Provider if the regular DVR is not an option and you really wanted it.

In my experience, the channel line-ups are all messed up... it's Time-Warner cable, but the lineup is specific to the condo's distribution system.  Therefore, TiVo standalone would still work, but you'd have to manually program every episode of every show you want it to record.  No suggestions, no auto-record new episodes, no selecting what episode you want it to record.  Input channel, start time, and end time, and pray that you didn't screw up.  Programming a VCR is much easier.

I didn't think they were allowed to restrict that. http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule

This only applies to OTA broadcast, i.e. bunny ears.  In essence, your condo can't prevent you from putting up an antenna for VHF/UHF reception, but they are permitted to prevent you from installing a satellite dish, cable, or fiber optics to receive non-broadcast services.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 06:35:45 PM »
Wow brew, this board values your muscoop input so much that many members are willing to spend hour teaching you how to use a DVR. You should be honored.

Good game recap btw.