'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: YEEEEEEESSSSSS!  (Read 10387 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
YEEEEEEESSSSSS!
« on: April 21, 2007, 08:30:38 PM »
 ;D

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/nba_experts/post/Marquette-s-James-to-enter-draft;_ylt=Aj3LEVqkIqlSZUTJGHMIoZw5nYcB?urn=nba,30015

NBA Experts Blog - NBA
Add to My Yahoo! RSS
Marquette's James to enter draft

By Adrian Wojnarowski

Saturday, Apr 21, 2007 5:05 pm EDT

CHICAGO -- Marquette sophomore guard Dominic James is expected to enter his name onto the NBA draft's early entry list, a source close to the process said Saturday.

James has plans to meet with his coach, Tom Crean, this week on campus in Milwaukee to finalize his decision, but he seems determined to judge his draft status between now and the June 28 draft.

A 5-foot-11 guard, James is a fleet, end-to-end player, but his shooting percentages last season are cause for concern with NBA teams. His performance declined over the course of the Golden Eagles' 24-10 campaign, dipping to a 38-percent field-goal percentage, including 27 percent on three-pointers.

To keep his name in the draft, James wants to hear that he'll be chosen in the first round, but unless he makes a dramatic impression at the Orlando pre-draft camp in May and private workouts, that prospect appears to be unlikely.

One Eastern Conference NBA scout who watched James courtside several times last season said, "He started off well, but he really struggled in the second half of the season. The kid is a prospect down the line, but I think he really needs to stay in school."

James has a chance to return to an excellent Marquette team, a potential preseason top-20 club with serious NCAA tournament possibilities. Underclassmen have until April 29 to submit their names to the league office. James could withdraw his name anytime up until the draft on June 18.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 08:35:15 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Beyond belief
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 08:43:27 PM »
It is incomprehensible that those closest to James have not given him better counsel. James is in no way ready for the NBA, even if he makes improvements to his outside and free-throw shooting over the off-season.

While he has until June 18 to withdraw his name from the draft’s early entry list, James should heed the advice of the NBA scout quoted in the Yahoo story above.

For James to enter the NBA draft this year, he must believe sincerely that he is one of the best at his position. In reality, he is a terrific athlete who is still developing as a basketball player. College is the only place for him.

77ncaachamps

• All American
Re: YEEEEEEESSSSSS!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 08:46:07 PM »
I think it is a smart move.

#1, NBA scouts will tell him what he needs to work on and he'll be better for it (and so will the MU team - if he returns).

#2, if he has a strong outing and great workouts, the kid will be a first round draftee...and guaranteed money...and an NBA player.

So #1 is great for MU fans and #2 is great for DJ.

It's a solid move.
SS Marquette

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Does anyone really believe James needs NBA scouts …
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 08:55:56 PM »
… to tell him where he must improve?

Anyone who has seen James play knows what James must do much better. One would hope James already knows what he does well and not well on the basketball court.

Also, James risks looking foolish by declaring himself for the NBA draft given the season he has just had.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 09:00:30 PM by MU Avenue »

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 12:20:21 AM »
Also, James risks looking foolish by declaring himself for the NBA draft given the season he has just had

He was a first-team Big East selection. I think MU fans are far more critical of him than those in the national media and NBA. There are at least a dozen guys entering the draft that are less than prepared for the NBA than James.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Yes, Dominic James was selected first team all-Big East this year
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 07:56:12 AM »
And, yes, some sportswriters, commentators, ESPN announcers and coaches who have rarely or never seen James play like to heap praise and awards on him -- based mostly on James’ reputation, on highlights shown on TV and on his having OK statistics in some categories.

But even some of those who have hardly or never seen James play now concede that while he certainly has strengths and great athleticism, James’ deficiencies are palpable and demand significant improvement before he will be ready for the NBA.

The applause, awards and distinctions that James has received will mean nothing when he is wearing an NBA jersey and expected to play big against the best in the business. He is not yet ready to play at that level.

As an side, I would ask MarquetteVol to name some of the dozen or more players who are “entering the draft that are less than (sic) prepared for the NBA than James.”
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 07:58:30 AM by MU Avenue »

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 09:33:39 AM »
I'll start the list

--Kemp and Sessions from Nevada
--Dwight Brewington from Liberty
--Aaron Bruce from Baylor
--Josh McRoberts from Duke
--Marcel Jones from Oregon State

By the way, there were 93 early-entry candidates last season--61 from the NCAA.
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1285

I dare say that there are at least a dozen on this list that were less prepared than Dominic James is now.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 10:45:26 AM »
Thank Marquette84 for giving me a head start.

--Kemp and Sessions from Nevada
--Dwight Brewington from Liberty
--Aaron Bruce from Baylor
--Josh McRoberts from Duke (I think McRoberts and James are actually close)
--Marcel Jones from Oregon State
--Taurean Green, Florida (Good college point guard but his deficencies were masked by a great team)
--Daequan Cook, Ohio State
--Wilson Chandler, DePaul
--Maureece Rice, George Washington
--Shaun Pruitt, Illinois
--Charles Rhodes, Mississippi State
--Chris Daniels, Texas A&M Corpus Christi
--Roy Bright, Delaware State (I certainly didn't notice an NBA-caliber player on DSU when we dismantled them in December).

--

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Your points being what? Dominic James is ready for the NBA?
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 01:17:41 PM »
Marquette84 and MarquetteVol: You have listed several players whom you say are entering the NBA draft despite their being “less prepared” than James for professional basketball. While I know of some of these players, I will take your words for it that none of the players on your lists is as qualified -- or better qualified -- than James for the NBA.

James is a good player who has major deficiencies that could be improved by staying in college another year or two. If James heads to the pros later this year, fine. I would wish him great success and a long career.

It is unlikely, however, that James would thrive in the face of NBA competition. He is still missing some essential tools.

As the NBA scout said in the Yahoo article shown above, it would be in James’ best interest to stay at MU. Does anyone disagree?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 04:46:07 PM »
Has it dawned on any of you that maybe DJ and Tom Crean have consulted NBA personnel and received positive feedback and based on that DJ made this decision? You're all making the assumption that the only thing DJ would have heard would have been negative.
We Are Marquette

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 05:23:05 PM »
Has it dawned on any of you that maybe DJ and Tom Crean have consulted NBA personnel and received positive feedback and based on that DJ made this decision? You're all making the assumption that the only thing DJ would have heard would have been negative.

That is one very valid element of the argument.  Outside of one anonymous scout on the Yahoo story, most of the comments about James not being ready have been from college coaches (Majerus) and sports journalists. 

And you have to question scouts who use anonymous quotes in the press to downplay potential draftees--there's every bit as much chance that this guy is trying to steal James in the 2nd round, and hoping to scare off the compeititon.  Its not very nice, but it happens.  If this scout is so certain that James isn't ready, why won't he reveal himself?  Because he'd look two-faced when he drafts James!

The second is that James wants to see what the camps are like, what the competition is like, and what skills and abilities are valued by NBA scouts in the real-life setting of the pre-draft camps and workouts.  This is a growing trend--as I detailed on the blog--where over 60 college underclassmen have tested the waters in each of the last two years--from the likes of Nick Fazekas and Aaron Afflalo to dropouts and never-weres like Clarence Holloway.    Under this

The third is that he knows he's not ready now, but the competition will be greater next season, and he's trying to get a jump on it.  A guarnteed first round pick in this year's draft is worth more than a non-guarnteed 2nd round pick next year--even if you ARE better prepared.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 06:53:45 PM »
really wish he would come back, would benefit for himself and the team... with him MU is a top 10 team next year, without him, I don't know so much.  However him leaving would free up a scholarship correct?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 07:30:50 PM »
really wish he would come back, would benefit for himself and the team... with him MU is a top 10 team next year, without him, I don't know so much.  However him leaving would free up a scholarship correct?

I think so since MU does have more recruits than schollies available.
Let's not forget that Trend is leaving...leaving one more open scholly.
SS Marquette

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 08:55:01 PM »

Did I miss some news on Trend?

MarquetteBallin

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 11:04:50 PM »
HE GONE!!!! This is awesome for Marquette. By all accounts Mo Acker is much better than D James in terms of a shooter and the way he manages the offense. I am thrilled that the prima dona pompadour is gone.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 11:16:32 PM »
HE GONE!!!! This is awesome for Marquette. By all accounts Mo Acker is much better than D James in terms of a shooter and the way he manages the offense. I am thrilled that the prima dona pompadour is gone.

speak for yourself jr.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 11:24:52 PM »

By all accounts?  Name ONE account that is valid.  I, for one, would love to have the kid back.  He's a gamer and you can never have enough gamers on your team.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 01:25:52 AM »

Did I miss some news on Trend?

I am presuming that due to Trend's end of the year lack of minutes and "not with the team" at the moment statements from the athletic dept. that he will no longer be with us.
SS Marquette

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 07:45:10 AM »
3 names for you....

Darius Washington
Omar Cook
William Avery

All made horrible decisions in declaring early.  It's one thing for a guys who is 6'10" or 7' to go early.  Teams can keep those types of players at the end of their bench...but there's not much room or time to develop a 5'10" point guard.

The Darius Washington decision to jump is still soooooo painful for me.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 07:56:27 AM »
He was a first-team Big East selection. I think MU fans are far more critical of him than those in the national media and NBA. There are at least a dozen guys entering the draft that are less than prepared for the NBA than James.
[/quote]

I guess I never realized it until I looked at his stats....but, DJ has dropped in almost every statistical category from his freshman year production.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2007&playerId=19033&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnbadraft%2fdraft%2ftracker%2fplayer%3fdraftyear%3d2007%26playerId%3d19033

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 08:14:24 AM »
this report is completely fabricated..the "source close to the process," dont know anything more than anyone else obviously...honestly where do they get this stuff?..a kid back in richmond that was dj's neighbor for a year when they were 10?..everyone thinks they are in the knowing crowd but in honesty id say theres 3-4 people in the world that actually know what dj is thinking ...and im sure as of yesterday he was undecided

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 08:24:43 AM »
this article was in yesterdays "palladium item"...a richmond newspaper... want to know whats going on..thats a good place to keep watch..i read the sports section online everday

http://www.pal-item.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007704220333

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 10:00:49 AM »
this article was in yesterdays "palladium item"...a richmond newspaper... want to know whats going on..thats a good place to keep watch..i read the sports section online everday

http://www.pal-item.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007704220333

Thanks for the link!  ;D
SS Marquette

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 10:17:56 AM »
He was a first-team Big East selection. I think MU fans are far more critical of him than those in the national media and NBA.

Big deal.  There's like 15 guys from the Big East that can say they were 1st team All Big East!

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 10:41:20 AM »
He was a first-team Big East selection. I think MU fans are far more critical of him than those in the national media and NBA.

Big deal.  There's like 15 guys from the Big East that can say they were 1st team All Big East!

Thank you for proving my point.