Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: YEEEEEEESSSSSS!  (Read 10388 times)

Coobeys Oil Depot

Re: YEEEEEEESSSSSS!
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2007, 11:29:48 AM »
He was a first-team Big East selection. I think MU fans are far more critical of him than those in the national media and NBA.

Big deal.  There's like 15 guys from the Big East that can say they were 1st team All Big East!

It's almost like a best player from member institution 'X' award. There are only 11 players selected but your point is relevant.

Then again, considering there are over 200 players in the Big East to be included in the Best XI is still quite an accomplishment.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2007, 12:57:35 PM »
Multiple reasons why I want James to stay:

1.  Would like all MU players that go to the NBA to be ready and make an impact, him leaving now, I don't see that happening

2.  Although people are crowning Acker as just as good/if not better than James, lets not forget that Acker was freshman of the year in the MAC, not the strongest basketball conference, and has sat out a year, something that never helps, practice is one thing, a game is completely different.

3.  James brings a spark to the team that I don't think anyone else on the team has

4.  Provides more depth to our backcourt, would allow us to press way more easily

5.  First team All Big East

6.  We quickly forget the games he took over, Duke, Valparaiso,

And at the end of the year, I think James became a much better PG, passing the ball, seeing the court, managing the team, tournament aside, you forget that he led the team to beat Pitt without his "Robin" in McNeal, and you could easily say McNeal was the "Batman".
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2007, 01:33:16 PM »
I definately want James to come back. We may not "like" some of his weaknesses, but the kid is freakin' great. 1st team all Big East!

I love Cooby's 3pt shooting, and I think he is one tough SOB, but he is not anywhere near James.

I really like the sounds of Acker, but I'd rather have him come off the bench... I think he could provide some nice energy, and/or help MU when teams decide to double up on DJ.

It would be tough defensively, but an offensive line-up of Acker, James, McNeal, Matthews, and ooze (or one of the other bigs) is pretty tough. Lot's of ballhandlers, lots of scorerers... and Acker would be the primarly ballhandler in this set which should allow DJ to get onto the wing a little bit and use his athleticism and quickness.

Also, with this line-up if Acker can hit a couple of 3's... they would be VERY tough on offense because kick-out treys would be plentiful.

I know people have been debating if MU will press this year... I believe they will. There is a good amount of depth on this team (maybe more than ever) and I think MU might try and wear teams out.

Matthews and McNeal went coast to coast a number of times last year attacking the rim and I expect that again this year... the only difference is that fatigue shouldn't be an issue for MU and it WILL be an issue for opposing teams.

James, Acker, Cooby, McNeal, Matthews, Fitz, Christophersen (if he doesn't redshirt) are a pretty tough collection of perimeter players.

I think MU will play uptempo at every chance they get (inlcuding pressing). Their personnel is perfect for it. Lots of guards who can handle the ball, and bigs who can run and finish (I don't think ooze is a great finisher, but he does beat guys done the floor and get postion)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2007, 01:59:26 PM »
Question .. I thought it you don't pick an agent, you can still go in the draft .. then, regardless if you get drafted or not, you can decide to stay in college?  (Of course, the team that drafted you would be pissed, but perhaps retain your rights until you decide you're done with school.)

So .. say, DJ doesn't get an agent but gets drafted late in the 2nd round.  Chances are, he'd still make the roster and a nice league minimum ($400k or so?).    Regardless of millions promised if you wait a year and get a 1st round spot, $400k is tough to turn down.

Or am I wrong about the no agent=you can still go back?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2007, 02:21:11 PM »
Question .. I thought it you don't pick an agent, you can still go in the draft .. then, regardless if you get drafted or not, you can decide to stay in college?  (Of course, the team that drafted you would be pissed, but perhaps retain your rights until you decide you're done with school.)

So .. say, DJ doesn't get an agent but gets drafted late in the 2nd round.  Chances are, he'd still make the roster and a nice league minimum ($400k or so?).    Regardless of millions promised if you wait a year and get a 1st round spot, $400k is tough to turn down.

Or am I wrong about the no agent=you can still go back?

That used to be the case. I think now players have to decide before the draft (June 29th is sticking in my head for reason) if they want to return to school. This was done so you don't penalize teams for drafting someone and then having them head back to school.

What this allows the players to do is to go to the predraft camps to see where they will fit in.
But I like to throw handfuls...

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2007, 02:25:27 PM »
The draft is June 28th, so James has until the 18th (10 days before draft) to withdraw and retain his college eligibility.

Other rules of note are...  Players drafted in the first round are guaranteed at least a one year contract.  Players drafted in the second round are not required to sign, but are "owned" for three years by the team that drafted them.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2007, 02:29:08 PM »
I think some people here are in for a rude awakening if they think Mo Acker is going to do the things that James does already.  Mo will be a nice player, but he will never be in the conversation to be drafted in the NBA, and likely will never be a first team all Big East selection, etc, etc.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2007, 03:04:41 PM »
2.  Although people are crowning Acker as just as good/if not better than James, lets not forget that Acker was freshman of the year in the MAC, not the strongest basketball conference, and has sat out a year, something that never helps, practice is one thing, a game is completely different.

Not to draw any unfair comparisons, but how would that mentality apply to Wade when he had NO D-I experience and only practices to rely upon?

3.  James brings a spark to the team that I don't think anyone else on the team has.

Wrong. The motor of this MU team is and always will be Jerel McNeal.

How about the games he performed poorly?

North Dakota State, 8 points on 3 for 11 shooting
Providence, 12 points on 3 for 11 shooting, 1 for 8 from 3
Syracuse, 6 points on 3 for 12 shooting, 0 for 7 from 3
Georgetown, 6 points on 2 for 17 shooting, 0 for 6 on 3, ONLY 2 free throws!!!
Louisville, 9 pts on 3 for 6 shooting, 3 assists, 4 turnovers

SS Marquette

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2007, 03:23:13 PM »
I think some people here are in for a rude awakening if they think Mo Acker is going to do the things that James does already.  Mo will be a nice player, but he will never be in the conversation to be drafted in the NBA, and likely will never be a first team all Big East selection, etc, etc.

Agreed, all these fools who actually think we'll be a better team without James better be careful of what they wish for.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2007, 03:28:07 PM »
77NCAAchamps...your own examples and others should prove to everyone just how valuable he is.

When DJ plays well, MU usually wins.  When DJ plays poorly, MU almost always loses.

I don't know how that can be stated any clearer....and the results speak for themselves.

PS  Jerel may be the motor but the motor doesn't go anywhere or do what you want without a driver.  The driver steers the direction and applies the throttle up or down...same as a PG.  I love Jerel, but his motor sometimes is stuck on 150mph when it at times needs to cruise at 65.

A James loss would be a big loss.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 05:04:40 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2007, 03:44:11 PM »

Not to draw any unfair comparisons, but how would that mentality apply to Wade when he had NO D-I experience and only practices to rely upon?

3.  James brings a spark to the team that I don't think anyone else on the team has.

Wrong. The motor of this MU team is and always will be Jerel McNeal.

How about the games he performed poorly?

North Dakota State, 8 points on 3 for 11 shooting
Providence, 12 points on 3 for 11 shooting, 1 for 8 from 3
Syracuse, 6 points on 3 for 12 shooting, 0 for 7 from 3
Georgetown, 6 points on 2 for 17 shooting, 0 for 6 on 3, ONLY 2 free throws!!!
Louisville, 9 pts on 3 for 6 shooting, 3 assists, 4 turnovers

I love McNeal too... but MU is better with James. He is a talented player who does a lot of things well. If he can become more consistant in his shooting and shot selection, he could be 1st team all american.

I will take 10 DJ's on my team every year.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2007, 04:00:32 PM »
Look, I'm one of the guys who cringes every time DJ goes up for a long-range jumper. I also think he's nowhere near ready for the NBA and would be making a big mistake by leaving. But I do think that if he leaves some of the people who are ripping him now will be wanting him back next February. He is a warrior, as well as a Warrior.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2007, 04:38:01 PM »
Look, I'm one of the guys who cringes every time DJ goes up for a long-range jumper. I also think he's nowhere near ready for the NBA and would be making a big mistake by leaving. But I do think that if he leaves some of the people who are ripping him now will be wanting him back next February. He is a warrior, as well as a Warrior.

James loses NOTHING by entering his name for the draft and not signing with an agent. He gains millions is he finds himself a first round draft pick. I suppose you could argue that he might end up embarassed or hurt his pride, but who cares? I say he should give it a shot.
We Are Marquette

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2007, 04:47:14 PM »

James loses NOTHING by entering his name for the draft and not signing with an agent. He gains millions is he finds himself a first round draft pick. I suppose you could argue that he might end up embarassed or hurt his pride, but who cares? I say he should give it a shot.

I agree with you... and as weird as it sounds... I almost hope it hurts his pride a little bit. I don't think DJ is cocky as some have said, I just think that most people work harder when somebody tells them they "can't" do something.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2007, 05:21:58 PM »

I don't think anyone is saying he shouldn't do what he's doing.  The danger comes when it's true decision time and the deadline approaches...does he stay in or come back.  I wish him luck because this is not an open or shut case.  Could be a late first rounder, likely a second rounder which means no guarantees and he could be in the NBDL which I really doubt he wants.  Could come back and improve stock or could come back and not improve it.  Tough choice.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2007, 06:31:24 PM »
He has to pull out ten days before the draft which is an eternity for the NBA decision makers.  Many times they will be changing their minds up until the instant Stern asks for their pick.  So really, what people are telling James' camp ten days before the draft is not very credible.  With that said, there is no question in my mind that he is a second round pick. Because of that, NBA GMs want him to come out, so they're not going to say anything along the lines of, "go back to school for another year."  Might as well give him positive signals so they have more options and can sign him on the cheap.  This is where the danger of losing James lies.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2007, 09:29:16 PM »
I bashed on Dom a ton in the B.East conference play. But, I agree with his decision to at least declare, get some valuable face-time w/coaches, GMs, and other personnel...as long as he doesn't sign with an agent. Unless he blows people's socks off, he's gonna come back. I have to believe that.

I don't think Crean is giving him bad advice, but realistic advice this day and age.

Unrealistic comparison, but...if you were a 4.0 student as a junior and some huge company hired you as an unpaid intern, and you did a great job and they offered to hire you without your degree, would you turn it down? Most likely, no. But, if you worked there, got awesome experience, found out your strengths and weaknesses while competing/working-with the best, you'd be better off in the long run.

I'm confident he'll be back...and it's the right more for him.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2007, 10:09:24 PM »
If James was a senior, he probalby would go undrafted after the year he just had. NBA gambles on young players. He would have been drafted higher last year than he will be this year. If he stays another year and does not improve he has hurt himself. There is a real risk that he will not be drafted in the first round, so he is really gambling if he stays in the draft. Based on how he finished this year, I believe MU will be better without him. I would move Matthews to point and Hayward to small forward. Aker is too small to be a starter. Culliban can handle the ball and shoot from the outside, but he cannot drive to the hoop without getting his shot blocked.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2007, 06:35:16 AM »
If james goes I hope he does well because you'd hate to see an MU guy fade into obscurity.  Regardless, i don't think MU would be better without him.  Even though he made some bad decisions at times he still brought nearly 15 points a game as well as valuable game-time experience on  a team that had just lost it's best player the year before.  If I had the choice to keep him or let him go I'd keep him because not only is he a tenacious defender and ball handler he is the guy who can take it to the rack and create either his own shot or get Ooze or somebody else an easy look.  I think a lot of his poor shots was just him trying to get something started when nothing else was materializing.  I much preferred him trying to create something than McNeal or Mathews trying to do the same.  Those two are great but not nearly as good of ball handlers as James.

feedback