Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 3/11/2024?  (Read 1000429 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday-update: 12/14/15
« Reply #675 on: December 21, 2015, 01:39:59 PM »
This week's rankings (we lost our single vote):

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

How is SMU 18 in the AP poll but unranked (not even getting votes) in the Coaches Poll? That's crazy. Are they exempt from the poll this year or something?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #676 on: December 21, 2015, 01:43:12 PM »
This week's rankings (we lost our single vote):

How is SMU 18 in the AP poll but unranked (not even getting votes) in the Coaches Poll? That's crazy. Are they exempt from the poll this year or something?

Perhaps since they're banned from the NCAA postseason this year, the coaches don't care to even think about them.  I mean, they could be the best team ever, but they're not going to win the national championship!

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #677 on: December 21, 2015, 01:44:29 PM »
Perhaps since they're banned from the NCAA postseason this year, the coaches don't care to even think about them.  I mean, they could be the best team ever, but they're not going to win the national championship!

I had forgotten that to be the case.  That explains it, thanks.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #678 on: December 21, 2015, 01:47:42 PM »
I can't cite anything specific, but I'm convinced that there's either:

a) a written rule that prohibits coaches from voting for teams ineligible for the postseason
or
b) an unwritten rule that strongly discourages the same.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #679 on: December 28, 2015, 01:12:40 PM »
No votes after wins over Chicago State and PC. Get out the pitchforks.

Big East is otherwise well represented per usual these days.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:41:25 PM by Windyplayer »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #680 on: December 28, 2015, 01:21:27 PM »
No votes after wins over Chicago State and PC. Get on the pitchforks.

Big East is otherwise well represented per usual these days.

IMO, a team like Cincinnati's resume doesn't look all that different from Marquette's.  A slightly tougher schedule in that they've played 6 quality teams versus Marquette's 5 (4 if you exclude Belmont), but their cupcakes are terrible and their best wins are vs. Nebraska, vs. George Washington and @VCU.  That's not better than vs.LSU, vs. ASU and @ UW, IMO.  Losses to Butler, Xavier and Iowa State. 7 of their 10 wins are against the dregs of the NCAA. 10-3 record and ranked 22/23.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:24:32 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #681 on: December 28, 2015, 02:41:36 PM »
IMO, a team like Cincinnati's resume doesn't look all that different from Marquette's.  A slightly tougher schedule in that they've played 6 quality teams versus Marquette's 5 (4 if you exclude Belmont), but their cupcakes are terrible and their best wins are vs. Nebraska, vs. George Washington and @VCU.  That's not better than vs.LSU, vs. ASU and @ UW, IMO.  Losses to Butler, Xavier and Iowa State. 7 of their 10 wins are against the dregs of the NCAA. 10-3 record and ranked 22/23.

Patience, Grasshopper.  Northwestern is getting votes for Christsakes.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #682 on: December 28, 2015, 02:48:26 PM »

I keep trying to tell you all...Though Olah being out for a couple weeks is gonna hurt big time.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #683 on: December 28, 2015, 02:54:55 PM »

Its not a lack of patience, just an observation. I dont think MU should be ranked, I just think our resume is comparable to a team ranked in the low 20s.

jsheim

« Reply #684 on: December 28, 2015, 03:38:50 PM »
Well we have to prove it Wed. against Seton Hall. They are a very decent team...and beating them at home is a MUST.

winning will get us props....right now there are too many teams with two or three losses that claim a spot in the rankings.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #685 on: December 28, 2015, 03:48:03 PM »
Beat Seton Hall and Gtown we should be in the conversation.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #686 on: December 28, 2015, 06:06:53 PM »
Beat Seton Hall and Gtown we should be in the conversation.

True.  But with no votes right now even if we win both games I don't see us to being ranked.  And then the next week we would have at Providence and St. John's at home.  I think we would have to start 4-0 in the BE to be ranked.  Just don't see that happening.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #687 on: December 28, 2015, 06:40:11 PM »
True.  But with no votes right now even if we win both games I don't see us to being ranked.  And then the next week we would have at Providence and St. John's at home.  I think we would have to start 4-0 in the BE to be ranked.  Just don't see that happening.

First we win the next two ... remember that conference play starts for all this week.  This means ranked teams in the 20 to 25 range will start lose and their will be a lot of turnover.  Right now they are all playing cupcakes and everyone is winning.  That is why the rankings do not turnover (see George Washington and Louisville and what a loss does to one's rankings). 

Not saying we will be ranked but couple two wins that with the "right losses" and it is possible.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 06:42:41 PM by Heisenberg »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #688 on: December 28, 2015, 06:44:55 PM »

what the...not again!  what did they do this time?  just when they're getting their feet back under themselves after recovering from the "death penalty".  couldn't be "special arrangements" to athletes by academic departments err anything roy williams would frown upon...
don't...don't don't don't don't

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #689 on: December 28, 2015, 07:04:06 PM »
Let's see... would we rather be aligned in a conference with Xavier/Butler/Providence/Villanova/Georgetown/etc., or SMU/Tulane/East Carolina/UCF/USF/etc. 

The strength of the Big East as a conference and a brand will always be a plus for our rankings.  If we ended up sharing a conference with those weak basketball programs, the hill for us to climb to continue to be relevant in college basketball would have been monumental.  We should be thankful to have avoided that train wreck (Larry Brown included).

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #690 on: December 28, 2015, 07:26:53 PM »

Uh, I think 3-1 would be fine.  Losing at providence, especially if we play well, wouldn't be much of a negative.  But, a long way to get to 3-1.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #691 on: December 28, 2015, 08:35:11 PM »
Uh, I think 3-1 would be fine.  Losing at providence, especially if we play well, wouldn't be much of a negative.  But, a long way to get to 3-1.

Reaaly doubt it. We have not one vote right now. We win both this week and we will get votes but not ranked. Dont know how you move up from there losing then.beating st. John's at home.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #692 on: December 28, 2015, 09:22:14 PM »
Reaaly doubt it. We have not one vote right now. We win both this week and we will get votes but not ranked. Dont know how you move up from there losing then.beating st. John's at home.

I just don't think losing on the road at #12 could be a negative.  Sure, win and we're ranked for sure, but if we lose after playing well there, winning @Georgetown, and at home against SHU and SJ,  we'd be winners of 12 out of 13.  Not a guarantee, but I think a good chance...given a LOT of "if's"

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #693 on: December 29, 2015, 11:18:56 AM »
There's an advanced statistic in baseball called sequencing that adjusts for the randomness in type of hits given up and their impact on a pitchers ERA, FIP, etc. i.e. why penalize a pitcher more for giving up 3 singles then a grand slam in an innning than another pitcher who gives up solo shot then three singles.

Reminds me of the rankings throughout the year especially early on. Oftentimes, it's how streaky you are that determines whether you crack the the Top 25 or not. A team that goes 4-1 over a stretch and wins the first 4, then loses the 5th is much more likely to get in rather than a team that goes, say, 2-1-2 over that same stretch.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #694 on: December 29, 2015, 01:27:44 PM »
Marquette receiving votes in ESPN's Power rankings. Xavier at 5, Butler at 8, Providence at 11, and Nova at 15.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/powerrankings
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #695 on: December 29, 2015, 01:33:23 PM »
Marquette receiving votes in ESPN's Power rankings. Xavier at 5, Butler at 8, Providence at 11, and Nova at 15.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/powerrankings

Andy Katz with the votes, has us at 24.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #696 on: December 29, 2015, 01:36:53 PM »
Andy Katz with the votes, has us at 24.

Ahead of Duke

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #697 on: December 29, 2015, 01:47:46 PM »
There's an advanced statistic in baseball called sequencing that adjusts for the randomness in type of hits given up and their impact on a pitchers ERA, FIP, etc. i.e. why penalize a pitcher more for giving up 3 singles then a grand slam in an innning than another pitcher who gives up solo shot then three singles.

Reminds me of the rankings throughout the year especially early on. Oftentimes, it's how streaky you are that determines whether you crack the the Top 25 or not. A team that goes 4-1 over a stretch and wins the first 4, then loses the 5th is much more likely to get in rather than a team that goes, say, 2-1-2 over that same stretch.

Completely agree.  If a team beats a really good team, gets into the Top 25 then beats a bunch of cupcakes over two weeks they will usually be ranked 15-20 or so.  However if you play a bunch a cupcakes first then beat the good team you will not be ranked 15-20.  It is all about sequence.

jsheim

« Reply #698 on: December 30, 2015, 03:39:15 PM »
RPI guess before the SH & GT games this weekend...if we beat SH we jump 25-30 RPI positions...then beat GT away and jump another 30.

Is it too hopeful to see us at RPI#85 by Monday?

In any case, given the RPI math and our lowly Home schedule, we will climb quickly with every win.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #699 on: December 30, 2015, 04:24:37 PM »
RPI guess before the SH & GT games this weekend...if we beat SH we jump 25-30 RPI positions...then beat GT away and jump another 30.

Is it too hopeful to see us at RPI#85 by Monday?

In any case, given the RPI math and our lowly Home schedule, we will climb quickly with every win.

I don't think it'll be that high. Georgetown isn't a Top 100 team right now. My guess is ~110 with two wins.