[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Burton Apparently Cleared by WIAA  (Read 8530 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Burton Apparently Cleared by WIAA
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2011, 03:30:15 PM »
+100

Durley is perfectly positioned for us from a class perspective. If we can stay healthy, he could easily redshirt next year. If he has to burn it, he can still be a 4-year player for us. I can't see him getting recruited over, and I'm encouraged by his early aptitude for baseball, as it shows he's probably at least a bit of an athlete for a big man. He won't be heavily relied on until his junior year, and I love the idea of what he could be as he's coming into his third year of development in our system. I'm sure he'd be starting at most high schools around the country, but backing up one of the best big men out there doesn't lend to many minutes, I can accept that.

If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but I see no harm in taking a flier on a guy his size that can fill the paint and was getting interest from K-State, TAMU, Arizona, and South Florida. And even if he's more of a mid-major player, the kind that gets recruited by Chattanooga and Rice (other schools that showed interest) aren't those the kind of guys that by their junior and senior year we see in March and think "how the hell did that school get a guy like that, and why don't we have one?"

I think that this sums things up pretty well.

I'm excited about Durley, but realize that he's a bit of an unknown commodity.  I am a firm believer in the concept that most of an athlete's improvement will come from practice, not from games.  That's one of the great things about having such a deep roster...our players are playing against far better competition in practice than they were three, five or ten years ago.  With that in mind, I agree with those who say that Durley will benefit far more from working in practice against a premier center every day than he will dominating 6'6" opposing centers.  Are they going hard in practice?  I have no idea.  Would he be going hard if he was the starter and he was practicing against smaller guys?  Don't know.  But I don't think it matters.  I think he's going to be a better player when he arrives on campus because he's spending countless hours playing against a premier center.  Of course it'd be nice if he was getting more minutes, but Buzz thought he was good enough to offer a schollie and his HS coach things he's pretty good.  I think Buzz is batting about .500 on his big men.  I'm optimistic that Durley will move that up to .600...but only time will tell.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2011, 03:58:19 PM »
Bottom line, Mboa and Roseboro included, Buzz has a great track record for spotting talent. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Problem is we keep developing 2 stars and making them into 3 stars, we need to recruit a 3 star that turns into a 4 star and makes it to the NBA, or at the very least all conference. Until that time other schools will continue to recruit bigs over MU, likely stating that MU is a great option for guards and wings, but bigs don't go there because they don't touch the ball.

Maybe Gardner becomes that guy.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2011, 04:10:38 PM »
Bottom line, Mboa and Roseboro included, Buzz has a great track record for spotting talent. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Problem is we keep developing 2 stars and making them into 3 stars, we need to recruit a 3 star that turns into a 4 star and makes it to the NBA, or at the very least all conference. Until that time other schools will continue to recruit bigs over MU, likely stating that MU is a great option for guards and wings, but bigs don't go there because they don't touch the ball.

Maybe Gardner becomes that guy.

Wasn't JFB a 2 or 3 star out of high school? In addition, he was (only) honorable mention AA as a freshman, meaning at least 50 Jucos were rated higher than him.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2011, 04:34:38 PM »
Wasn't JFB a 2 or 3 star out of high school? In addition, he was (only) honorable mention AA as a freshman, meaning at least 50 Jucos were rated higher than him.

Yup, sorry should have been more specific...a 2 star center. Butler is a prime example of why we continue to get top flight wings from around the country. If Gardner can become very good I think Buzz will have a easier time getting high end bigs.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2011, 04:38:49 PM »
Jimmy was more like a 1 star in high school.

Anybody who doesn't think post players get the ball now at MU just isn't watching the games. Both Otule and Gardner get lots of chances in the post and so does Jae when he plays center.

Against a zone you can't just throw it into the post but when teams play us man to man those guys are a significant part of the offense.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »
Jimmy was more like a 1 star in high school.

Anybody who doesn't think post players get the ball now at MU just isn't watching the games. Both Otule and Gardner get lots of chances in the post and so does Jae when he plays center.

Against a zone you can't just throw it into the post but when teams play us man to man those guys are a significant part of the offense.

Agree, just talking about recruiting and why MU doesn't get 4 & 5 star centers. I'm sure coaches are quick to point out MU's lack of post players playing at the next level.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »
This season we have 11 players (10 since the Otule injury) dressing for games. 
It appears we will have 14 players dressing for games next season. 

It is extremely difficult to find meaningful minutes for more than 10 players.  I am more than willing to allow Durley the time and opportunity to develop under those circumstances.  With 4 additional players next season, sounds like there is plenty of room for a 6'10" 270 lb project.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2011, 07:32:01 PM »
Agree, just talking about recruiting and why MU doesn't get 4 & 5 star centers. I'm sure coaches are quick to point out MU's lack of post players playing at the next level.

Crean was never able to get the big everyone wanted.  Part of it was the style of offense, which perpetuated the claims that MU could not develop a big - right or wrong.  Otule and Gardner, if they continue to develop and the way Buzz runs the offense through the paint, should help to erase that myth.  Then, hopefully MU is on the short list with the higher rated bigs.

Until then, though, I am afraid you are correct.  Coaches use it against MU.  Thus, the need to take lower rated bigs and develop them.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
Until then, though, I am afraid you are correct.  Coaches use it against MU.  Thus, the need to take lower rated bigs and develop them.
[/quote]

Mac, what was the attraction for Jackson.  I realize he was a transfer, and a Milw native.  Was it as simple as that?

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2011, 08:34:15 PM »
As I recall, he had some issues with the coach at Mississippi State and wanted out.  With 1 year left, UM needing a big, it was a good fit to come back home.  Wish MU would have had him longer.  May have helped Crean land a big.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2011, 11:19:22 PM »
Why in the hell are we talking Durley, when the subject is BURTON CLEARED BY WIAA?

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2011, 06:13:53 AM »
Good news for Burton that he can play.  He had 16 points last night in his second game back in a win against Pius and only hit 6-13 free throws. 

As Deonte continues to develop his ballhandling and perimeter shooting, the more well rounded his game will be.  I think he'd be best to play at about 220-225 pounds as that will allow him to be a better defender at the 3-2 in college, yet still give him the strength advantage he has inside.

Haven't seen many players as athletic coming out of Milwaukee over the years, especially combined with his strength.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

feedback