'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Reggie Smith's UNLV Career Begins Monday  (Read 6516 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Reggie Smith's UNLV Career Begins Monday
« on: December 17, 2011, 06:07:27 PM »
http://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/dec/15/smith-must-get-ncaa-clearance-playing/

UNLV’s Reggie Smith unlikely to make UNLV debut against Illinois

Reggie Smith’s perfect homecoming will likely be held up by paperwork.

Smith, a sophomore transfer from Marquette, thought that his first game for UNLV would be in his hometown of Chicago against Illinois. However, as that game nears, there are still several steps that have to be taken in order for him to play, and the Rebels may not have time to make them all happen.

The NCAA bylaws require a player to wait until after the completion of the school’s semester before competing. UNLV’s fall semester doesn’t technically end until Saturday, which means that the Rebels have to request a special waiver from the NCAA in order for Smith to be eligible on Saturday instead of Sunday.

In order for that to happen, first all of his grades — Smith is in five classes — have to be posted. Only after that is completed can UNLV attach those to the waiver form and send it electronically or via fax to the NCAA. As of 8:45 p.m. Thursday, his grades had still not been posted.

Even if they were, though, the decision is out of UNLV’s hands at that point. Smith has passed all of his classes with the required grades, but there’s no way of knowing how long it would take for the NCAA to review the documents and make a ruling.

The team's flight for Chicago on Friday is at about noon.

There’s still a slim chance that the pieces could fall into place for the guard, but it appears his debut will be at home Monday against Louisiana-Monroe.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Reggie Smith's UNLV Career Begins Monday
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 06:12:12 PM »
He didn't play.  UNLV beat Illinois in Chicago today.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 06:16:17 PM »
Count me as one who thought Reggie was a nice player, although I think D Wilson has huge upside. UNLV is really good. Illinois is terrible and, despite a lot of recent hype, the Big Ten is not very deep. Ohio St. Good. Everybody else? OK. I actually think MU would win the Big Ten with a healthy Otule.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 09:57:19 PM »
UNLV is really good.

I thought UNLV was really good after they beat UNC at the Orleans Arena.  But then beat UC-Santa Barbara in double OT and lost at Wichita St.  They lost @ a down Madison squad and beat a weak FIB team.  They are okay but not really good. Sophomore UCLA transfer Mike Moser IS really good!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 12:40:36 AM »
I disagree on UNLV.  Wisconsin is really good this year, and i believe will finish in the top 10.  Even if Illinois is overrated as a current top 25 team, traveling to their place for the win really validates the win over UNC - one of the 4 favorites for the national title.

i wish Reggie the best.   Loved his hustle on defense.  I believe he would be our 12th player right now, but would sure like the extra body after having us already having gone through one game with only 8 players.  But i believe Derek is a huge upgrade because he just doesn't turn the ball over - and Reggie did look like a freshman with some of his long passes that were picked last year.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Buzz's Tin

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 02:56:07 AM »
I disagree on UNLV.  Wisconsin is really good this year, and i believe will finish in the top 10.  Even if Illinois is overrated as a current top 25 team, traveling to their place for the win really validates the win over UNC - one of the 4 favorites for the national title.

i wish Reggie the best.   Loved his hustle on defense.  I believe he would be our 12th player right now, but would sure like the extra body after having us already having gone through one game with only 8 players.  But i believe Derek is a huge upgrade because he just doesn't turn the ball over - and Reggie did look like a freshman with some of his long passes that were picked last year.

Disagree. Wisconsin is not "really good". They may end up doing well in the Big Ten this year, but I just don't think they have the talent they usually have.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 06:22:49 AM »
I thought UNLV was really good after they beat UNC at the Orleans Arena.  But then beat UC-Santa Barbara in double OT and lost at Wichita St.  They lost @ a down Madison squad and beat a weak FIB team.  They are okay but not really good. Sophomore UCLA transfer Mike Moser IS really good!

They still beat UCSB, and Wichita State is a good team. Five senior starters, first two off the bench are juniors, have to figure they're favorites to win the MVC, and that league could put 3-4 teams in the tournament this year.

As far as Wisconsin, I don't know about their talent level, but with Bo's system, they'll be really good. They won't get blown out by anyone because of they slow it down so much. The odds are they won't lose another at the KC this year. At a minimum, I imagine they'll beat Nebraska, Illinois, Penn State, and Iowa on the road. If they split roadies at Purdue, Michigan, Minnesota, and Michigan State, that's a 26-5 team going into postseason play.

Maybe that's not "really good", but it's still probably good enough for a 2-4 seed in the tournament, and 15-3 in the Big Ten will have them in contention for another league title.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 06:25:39 AM »
I think UNLV does have a lot of talent.  Right now they seem to be searching for their identity under new coach Dave Rice.  They could be a force by tourney time.  As for Wisconsin: Any team that loses the experience and talent of a Nankivil and Leur will have a hard time replacing them.  I think it's really affected Jordan Taylor's game.  Illinois always gets talented players but I don't trust Bruce Weber to get the most out of that talent.

It will be interesting to see how Reggie Smith works into the rotation and if his outside game has improved.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
Maybe that's not "really good", but it's still probably good enough for a 2-4 seed in the tournament, and 15-3 in the Big Ten will have them in contention for another league title.

15-3 in the B16?  Holy crap!  If they do that AND I lose my bet against Chicos on Nov 1, 2012, then I'll double the bet and wear IU stuff around for 2 days straight!  When else am I going to wear that crap!

For the record, here's the bet...
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=15620.msg150604#msg150604

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 10:26:28 PM »
15-3 in the B16?  Holy crap!  If they do that AND I lose my bet against Chicos on Nov 1, 2012, then I'll double the bet and wear IU stuff around for 2 days straight!  When else am I going to wear that crap!

For the record, here's the bet...
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=15620.msg150604#msg150604

Could you please ask Chicos if he still believe Kevin Stallings would be better as MU's coach than Buzz Williams? 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 10:59:14 PM »
Could you please ask Chicos if he still believe Kevin Stallings would be better as MU's coach than Buzz Williams? 

Don't forget Keno Davis, Chris Lowery or Bob McKillop.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 11:17:19 PM »

As far as Wisconsin, I don't know about their talent level, but with Bo's system, they'll be really good. They won't get blown out by anyone because of they slow it down so much. The odds are they won't lose another at the KC this year. At a minimum, I imagine they'll beat Nebraska, Illinois, Penn State, and Iowa on the road. If they split roadies at Purdue, Michigan, Minnesota, and Michigan State, that's a 26-5 team going into postseason play.

If UW goes 15-3 in conference play then the Big 10 is nowhere near as good as advertised. They're 0-1 in the Big East and haven't even played a road game yet.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 07:52:50 AM »
Don't forget Keno Davis, Chris Lowery or Bob McKillop.

You guys have it all wrong.  It wasn't about the decision.  It was about the process.  All those guys should have been interviewed, according to chico's.  That is the issue he had with it all.   ::)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 07:54:37 AM »

Let it go.  He's not here.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 08:01:30 AM »
http://www.lvrj.com/sports/smith-s-debut-for-rebels-finally-at-hand-135846013.html

Smith's debut for Rebels finally at hand
By Matt Youmans
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL
Posted: Dec. 19, 2011 | 1:59 a.m.

Final exam week at UNLV brought Reggie Smith to his knees. He was concerned about grades, but not because his five classes were too much to handle.

If Smith's grades were not posted by Friday morning, he would not be allowed to travel with the basketball team to his hometown of Chicago, where the Rebels played Illinois on Saturday.

Last week, Smith said, he was "praying every night" that he would be eligible to play. But when the team flight departed, the prayers went unanswered and his homecoming was canceled.

"I was really hurt and disappointed," he said. "But I got over it pretty quickly."

After a two-day delay, Smith is set to take flight when UNLV (11-2) hosts Louisiana-Monroe (1-10) at 7 p.m. today at the Thomas & Mack Center. The sophomore, who transferred from Marquette in January, will see minutes as a backup point guard.

Before the Rebels defeated 19th-ranked Illinois 64-48, coach Dave Rice talked to the team about dedicating the game to Smith.

"Think how you would feel if we were playing a game in your hometown and not only could you not play, you couldn't get on the plane," Rice said. "It would have been a really special time for Reggie. It was important for our guys to play hard for Reggie. We have a really close-knit group."

After the game, junior Justin Hawkins said UNLV's players contacted Smith.

"We did feel bad," Hawkins said. "We really thought he was going to make the trip with us."

Smith, who had planned for a large contingent of family and friends to join him at the United Center, watched the game on TV with Bryce Jones, a transfer from Southern California.

"We were so excited, rooting and screaming for our teammates like cheerleaders," Smith said after Sunday's practice.

Jones is expected to play a major role next season. But the wait is over for the 5-foot-11-inch Smith, an explosive leaper who can push the ball in transition and help crank up the Rebels' pressure defense. He also has been shooting with improved accuracy during practices.

"I want us to play faster," Rice said. "We feel like Reggie can be a game-changing player for us."

Smith will primarily back up senior point guard Oscar Bellfield, who averages a team-high 32.3 minutes, but he also will relieve junior Anthony Marshall. Rice is uncertain how he might distribute minutes to his guards, but he's sure Smith's impact will be significant.

"Those guys are workaholics," Smith said of Bellfield and Marshall. "They work hard in practices and games all the time. My game plan is to be aggressive on defense and offense at the same time, and I believe I can fit in right away with this system."

Working a player into a rotation in the middle of the season can be tricky, but Marshall said Smith is a welcome addition.

"I think the transition for him to get in and play is going to be smooth," Marshall said. "He's a quick guard who can get out in transition and push it, and he can also defend. He's going to help us out a lot. I don't think it's going to be a problem. Reggie is a very intelligent ballplayer."

Smith said his decision to leave Marquette, where he played in eight games and started five last season, was a wise one. He appears tailored for Rice's plan of attack on both ends of the floor.

As difficult as it was for him to sit a season -- and miss his homecoming game Saturday -- Smith survived tougher circumstances growing up in Chicago. He lived on the city's east side and also was a prep star in the south suburbs at Thornton High School.

"Tough neighborhood. You see a lot," Smith said. "I saw so many people get killed, and I saw a lot of robberies. I saw my best friend get shot. The drive-by shootings and stuff like that, it was an everyday thing to the point it was second nature.

"For me coming out of there, I'm blessed. I never was like a follower anyway, so I tried to make my own path, and my path was playing basketball."

Rice said he anticipates Smith will be a popular player with UNLV fans, and Smith is hyped for his debut game, even after waiting another 48 hours or so for it to happen.

"I think it's going to be amazing," he said. "It's going to be a very special moment."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 08:20:02 AM »
Back-up point guard huh?  I thought the reason he transferred was because he didn't want to play the point.  Just like Maymon didn't want to be a big, and now he's essentially a 4 at Tennessee.

Sometimes I guess kids just need to hear something else from a second source before they figure things out.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 09:36:51 AM »
http://www.lvrj.com/sports/smith-s-debut-for-rebels-finally-at-hand-135846013.html

Smith said his decision to leave Marquette, where he played in eight games and started five last season, was a wise one. He appears tailored for Rice's plan of attack on both ends of the floor.

Has this writer not watched Marquette under Williams? Attacking is their entire offense, on top of that they pick up teams full court while shuffling through 10 players.....Good luck to him, but I don't think it was a wise decision.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 09:44:16 AM »
Let it go.  He's not here.

Chicos isn't here anymore?  Really?  It was joke Sultan. Perhaps you can let go of your protective big brother role you seem to relish playing, as well as the overbearing father role...(scolding me)  Thank you in advance for your cooperation.  Merry X-Mas.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 09:45:45 AM »
Has this writer not watched Marquette under Williams? Attacking is their entire offense, on top of that they pick up teams full court while shuffling through 10 players.....Good luck to him, but I don't think it was a wise decision.

The sentence actually indicates Smith said it was a wise decision, not the writer of the article.  Unless his name is also Smith.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 09:51:09 AM »
Smith did not leave because he wanted to play a different position.  He is 5'11" on a good day... he is a PG.   Rumor as to why he left is that he did not fit into the Mu culture very well.  he did not respond well to Buzz's style of coaching and chose to leave.  Nothing against the kid, I hope he does well at UNLV.

With that said i think DWilson will help Mu much more over the next 3.5 years than Smith would have, he is a much better defender and much more solid ball handler and decision maker than Smith was.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »
Chicos isn't here anymore? 

Chicos use to annoy me (us) with his bashing of the decision to hire Buzz.  He questioned how long Buzz would last.

Turns out Buzz lasted longer than Chicos!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 10:17:56 AM »
Chicos isn't here anymore?  Really?  It was joke Sultan. Perhaps you can let go of your protective big brother role you seem to relish playing, as well as the overbearing father role...(scolding me)  Thank you in advance for your cooperation.  Merry X-Mas.

Tell funnier jokes then.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 10:28:03 AM »

And he even had the foresight to know the coach he transferred in to play for was going to leave before he even suited up and Rice was going to be hired!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 10:37:55 AM »
If UW goes 15-3 in conference play then the Big 10 is nowhere near as good as advertised. They're 0-1 in the Big East and haven't even played a road game yet.

I don't think it's much of a stretch. They barely ever lose at home (9 games) and have a favorable road schedule, with 4 near-gimmes. That's 13 wins. Go 2-3 in the other 5 and they're probably a 2-3 seed.

I know, we beat them, the talent is down, but it's Bo-ball. He specializes in challenging for conference crowns with teams just like this.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 10:57:06 AM »
I don't think it's much of a stretch. They barely ever lose at home (9 games) and have a favorable road schedule, with 4 near-gimmes. That's 13 wins. Go 2-3 in the other 5 and they're probably a 2-3 seed.

I know, we beat them, the talent is down, but it's Bo-ball. He specializes in challenging for conference crowns with teams just like this.

Not a stretch at all. Bo knows how to win in the Big Ten.

feedback