[Today at 04:24:39 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fight at the end of Xavier-Cinci game  (Read 26816 times)

MUMac

• All American
Re: Fight at the end of Xavier-Cinci game
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2011, 05:24:42 PM »
Some of MU's players were recently involved in some "incidents" and the response from most fans was to blame/attack the victim (in both the sexual assault and the Blue "fight").  It's easy to want to see guys kicked off of other teams.  This "thug culture" is rampant in certain college sports.  Root for the team in general, but these guys are not role models (or even good people in many cases) by any stretch of the imagination.

But Cronin knocked that presser out of the park.  The Xavier coach is an enabler.

What the hell is this post?  Are you the SID for Xavier?   ::)  Most? yeah, nice sweeping generalization to give yourself sainthood.  We have video here, no video of the "incidents" you mention.  We have seen both sides here, only one side of the "incidents" you mention.

Your post was as ignorantly stated as the Xavier PC was.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2011, 05:55:22 PM »
My guess is Xavier never sees the BE after this as long as Cincinnati remains in the conference.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2011, 06:02:31 PM »
I watched Holloway's opening remarks and quit right there. Absolutely shameful. Talking about the "gangsters" and "grown men" on his bench tells me all I need to know about Tu Holloway. If one of our guys behaved like this I'd happily see him dismissed from the team.

Hats off to Mick Cronin. Seems Cincinnati will learn from this. Wish I could say the same about X.

I agree he was absolutely shameful.  I also, I remember Holloway's press conference after the NCAA tourney game in March.  I think he was crying then.   :'(

Holloway should be suspended a number of games and perhaps kicked off the team altogether.  He seemed to have been a main instigator in this whole incident, from what I could see. 

I like Mick.  He has his head on straight.  He suspended Gates last year on some disciplinary issues and I watched a bit of a press conference at the time about that.  It will be interesting to see what disciplinary measures happen now with Gates and some other Cincy players. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2011, 06:07:18 PM »
Holloway should be suspended a number of games and perhaps kicked off the team altogether.  He seemed to have been a main instigator in this whole incident, from what I could see.

Kicked off the team?  Cmon...he just got in someone's face.  Not saying he shouldn't be suspended a game or two, but he didn't throw the punch or push the guy.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2011, 06:07:32 PM »
I agree he was absolutely shameful.  I also, I remember Holloway's press conference after the NCAA tourney game in March.  I think he was crying then.   :'(

I like Mick.  He has his head on straight.  He suspended Gates last year on some disciplinary issues and I watched a bit of a press conference at the time about that.  It will be interesting to see what disciplinary measures happen now with Gates and some other Cincy players. 

If you see the replay which picks up the play as the teams are going down the court, you see Holloway chirping at the Cincy bench.  As soon as the play is over, Holloway turns and starts chirping towards Gates.  Listening to Cronin, that action had been going on most of the game.  I saw a clip of right before halftime and some Cincy players had to be restrained from going after Holloway, who was chirping at them then.  

I think, if the A10 or Xavier investigates, they will find that Holloway was likely the instigator all night.  I certainly do not have any positive feelings about him after his actions today - on and off the court.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2011, 06:12:54 PM »

Kicked off the team?  Cmon...he just got in someone's face.  Not saying he shouldn't be suspended a game or two, but he didn't throw the punch or push the guy.

Actually, it sure looks as though Holloway threw a punch when Lyons pushed Gates.  Further, if you followed the game, he was doing more than just getting in someone's face.  An incident happened at halftime and he was the one involved.  In this play, if you watch it all the way through, he comes down the court yelling at the Cincy bench.  When the basket is made, he turns to confront Gates.

His actions on the court were worthy of a suspension.  The PC was an embarrassment in and of itself.  A game or two?  C'mon back at ya.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2011, 06:14:18 PM »
What you described seems worth of a game or two...not kicked off the team.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2011, 06:19:20 PM »
Believe it was Lyons involved with the half time trash talking.  I think Lyons and Holloway will get at least 2 games.  Think gates will be kicked off the team.  Anyone else who threw a punch will probably get a game.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2011, 06:31:37 PM »
What you described seems worth of a game or two...not kicked off the team.

I never said kicked off the team.  I do not believe a game or two is appropriate either.  He and Lyons were the instigators.  Lyons deserves more than Holloway, but Holloway deserves more than a game or two.  That was an embarrassing display he put on out there - again, on and off the court.  The comments after almost give rise to premeditation.  At the least, it demonstrates his actions were intentional.  That kind of crap has absolutely no business on a college basketball court.

I suspect Cincinnati coaches will shed light on the kind of discussions he was having with their bench.  Add to that the punch he threw, post game comments ... A game or two is a slap on the wrist. You can't be serious.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2011, 06:37:31 PM »
Believe it was Lyons involved with the half time trash talking.  I think Lyons and Holloway will get at least 2 games.  Think gates will be kicked off the team.  Anyone else who threw a punch will probably get a game.

Lyons deserves 5, maybe more IMHO.  He and Wells were throwing punch after punch on the baseline.  Wells deserves 2-3.  Holloway deserves 3-5.  He threw a punch, though it did not appear to connect as Lyons already pushed Gates.  His actions throughout the game were detestable.  His comments after an embarrassment.  I would go higher, but he did not appear to have any prior problems.

Gates may be kicked off the team.  I am guessing they start with 10 games and decide based upon his actions.  The part that factors into his penalty is the suspension last year.  Is he more a problem than his worth?  #13 for Cincy also needs to be suspended for a long period of time.

I would also look into Mack and his program.  This is the 2nd consecutive year that Xavier instigated something against Cincy.  

Lastly, the officials deserve some punishment, if Cronin's comments are accurate.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:39:02 PM by MUMac »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2011, 06:42:01 PM »
I'll wait to see what Cronin actually does in terms of punishment before I give him any credit.

He caved last year when it came to Yancy Gates being a renegade in his own program so it won't shock me to see him cave after this incident as well.

Kilpatrick started it midweek with the public dressing down of Holloway. I don't live in Milwaukee but I certainly hope our players aren't as careless when they are on the radio.

Lyons escalated it during the game. Then, with his wild swinging arms mid-brawl. Gates and Mbodji went to another level.

Disgrace.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2011, 06:42:47 PM »
I didn't see the Holloway punch.  Not saying it wasn't there, I just didn't see it.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2011, 06:51:09 PM »
I didn't see the Holloway punch.  Not saying it wasn't there, I just didn't see it.

Watch his left hand when Lyons pushes Gunn to the ground (I inadvertently thought that Gates was involved, but it was Gunn).  Going for the head, as well.  He did not connect, because Lyons pushed Gunn away from him.  The official then pulls him away.  He starts walking away and later makes a move back towards the melee when an Assistant Coach pulls him towards their bench.  

Since it was Gunn who was involved initially and not Gates, that to me, makes Gates actions worse and would increase any suspension he would receive. 

The thing I find odd is that the official box only has one technical for the game.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 07:00:03 PM by MUMac »

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2011, 07:19:19 PM »
It's about time the NCAA cracks down on some of these players that think they're more important than the University. Ya, Cincy has been a program full of thugs, even when Huggins
was there. I'M SICK OF WATCHING THESE TRASH TALKING MOSTLY INNER CITY BASKETBALL
THUGS WHO THINK THEY ARE SO COOL. THEY ARE PUNKS

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2011, 07:38:09 PM »
despicable actions I couldn't believe as I watched the game.. I am sure Buzz has addressed the team about this type of attitude but  don't think we have any thugsters on the squad

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2011, 07:48:08 PM »
It's about time the NCAA cracks down on some of these players that think they're more important than the University. Ya, Cincy has been a program full of thugs, even when Huggins
was there. I'M SICK OF WATCHING THESE TRASH TALKING MOSTLY INNER CITY BASKETBALL

Let's be careful not to make too many assumptions now.  Tu Holloway for instance is not an inner city kid.  He's from Nassau County.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2011, 07:49:37 PM »
This whole episode is really sad.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
1. The kid the kicks Frease while on the ground is as bad as Gates.

2. The guy the runs from out of nowhere to attack the X player by himself also needs to miss extended time.

This is going to put Cinci in quite the hole to kick off the BEAST season.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »

Do you like hockey?
If yes, what do you say when they square off for fist fights every other game?  Are they "THUGS WHO THINK THEY ARE SO COOL?"  Or are they just "scrappy, gritty guys?"  Choose wisely.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2011, 07:54:42 PM »
Do you like hockey?
If yes, what do you say when they square off for fist fights every other game?  Are they "THUGS WHO THINK THEY ARE SO COOL?"  Or are they just "scrappy, gritty guys?"  Choose wisely.

They're really well-spoken athletes.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2011, 08:36:03 PM »
Do you like hockey?

?  Are you comparing the NHL to College Basketball?  Is that your point?  A strange comparison, if you ask me.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2011, 08:47:13 PM »
?  Are you comparing the NHL to College Basketball?  Is that your point?  A strange comparison, if you ask me.

No, I'm questioning where this guy is coming from with the statement "I'M SICK OF WATCHING THESE TRASH TALKING MOSTLY INNER CITY BASKETBALL THUGS WHO THINK THEY ARE SO COOL. THEY ARE PUNKS."  A fight once every three to five years in basketball gets overblown and everyone calls them thugs.  Hockey breaks out into fights every other game and people just say it's "boys being boys in the heat of battle."  I just love the double standard. 

It sucks that this happened, and I watched the whole thing unfold live.  Gates deserves to be kicked off the teams and several people deserve to be suspended.  Just wondering where the sweeping, ignorant statement "I'M SICK OF WATCHING THESE TRASH TALKING MOSTLY INNER CITY BASKETBALL THUGS WHO THINK THEY ARE SO COOL. THEY ARE PUNKS" comes from.

muzzwilliams

• Walk-On
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2011, 08:49:12 PM »
Thug life

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2011, 08:55:37 PM »
No, I'm questioning where this guy is coming from with the statement "I'M SICK OF WATCHING THESE TRASH TALKING MOSTLY INNER CITY BASKETBALL THUGS WHO THINK THEY ARE SO COOL. THEY ARE PUNKS."  A fight once every three to five years in basketball gets overblown and everyone calls them thugs.  Hockey breaks out into fights every other game and people just say it's "boys being boys in the heat of battle."  I just love the double standard. 

It sucks that this happened, and I watched the whole thing unfold live.  Gates deserves to be kicked off the teams and several people deserve to be suspended.  Just wondering where the sweeping, ignorant statement "I'M SICK OF WATCHING THESE TRASH TALKING MOSTLY INNER CITY BASKETBALL THUGS WHO THINK THEY ARE SO COOL. THEY ARE PUNKS" comes from.
I understand this point.  The comparison to the NHL though, where they are called goons, was probably not the best analogy.  This post makes much more sense to me.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2011, 09:37:06 PM »
In my opinion this is worse than Tu Holloway talking trash in a game he is winning and instigating a fight. Chill out with the racial references, MU nation. It doesn't look good.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing