Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fight at the end of Xavier-Cinci game  (Read 26765 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Fight at the end of Xavier-Cinci game
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 03:52:08 PM »
I have a lot of no longer have any respect for Mick Cronin... he's knows the legacy at Cincy, and he's been doing his damnedest but unfortunately he's doing nothing to change it.  I would be am surprised at anything less than Cronin kicking didn't kick Gates off the team.   That's going to be a tough decision for Cronin to make, but I think that he'll make the call look back on in ten years when his legacy is how many of his former players bombed out after college and ended up in jail.

Unfortunately, Cronin doesn't need to make a decision with Mbodj... the Hamilton County DA will make that for him... what really sucks for him is that his student visa could now be in jeopardy (assuming stomping is felony battery).

If Guyn surives.... my guess is that he and Tu are should have been suspended 10-15 game.

MONDAY MORNING EDIT.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:37:19 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 03:56:30 PM »
Wow. Agreed. That was extremely genuine.

wow!  i'm guessing huggins would have handled it differently

nyg

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 03:57:41 PM »
If anyone has time, I would recommend watching Mick Cronin's press conference:

http://www.gobearcats.com/allaccess/?media=273285

I didn't know much about Cronin, but that speech/comments were awesome and Buzz-like.  Well worth the 16 minutes.

Yates has had previous issues throughout his tenure, has been suspended before and based upon what Cronin said, I presume Yates just played his last game for Cincy.  

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2011, 03:58:29 PM »
Soes anyone know what the X players said in their post games or have a link to it? One of the questions to Cronin said something about Tu and someone else being happy about the fight or something. I kinda want to see what they said.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 04:02:27 PM »
I didn't know much about Cronin, but that speech/comments were awesome and Buzz-like.  Well worth the 16 minutes.

Yates has had previous issues throughout his tenure, has been suspended before and based upon what Cronin said, I presume Yates just played his last game for Cincy.  

totally agree-i felt sorry for coach but he's got the right attitude-school-education-person.  he's asking the refs to get it under control and they want to T him up and telling him to sit down

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 04:02:48 PM »
Thanks for the link on Cronin's interview.  It was 16 minutes long, but every minute worth listening to.  I, as well, am impressed with his actions, words and demeanor.  I was bothered by the comments about the officials.  If he is asking them to get the game under control, stop the talking to the Cincy bench ... and they did nothing, those officials need to be disciplined as well.  

You have to wonder what Mack was doing.  I would like to hear his Press Conference.

I had forgotten lat years incident.  That was bad alone.  Does X start to see a tarnished reputation?  I think they might.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 04:03:26 PM »
Soes anyone know what the X players said in their post games or have a link to it? One of the questions to Cronin said something about Tu and someone else being happy about the fight or something. I kinda want to see what they said.

http://www.goxavier.com/sports/m-baskbl/xavi-m-baskbl-body.html

Disgusting. Classless.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2011, 04:04:12 PM »
they should show that post-game talk to every player before they play their next game-wake up!!

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 04:04:36 PM »

Just saw it on ESPN.  Tu Holloway said his team was made up of "gangsters" and not "thugs" like Cincinatti.  Forget whether it was him or Lyons but one of them said they were the grown men in this situation (which obviously was not the case).  Not a very good press conference by either of them, and I am personally sick of hearing how good Xavier and Tu Holloway are.  

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 04:05:06 PM »
Thanks for the link on Cronin's interview.  It was 16 minutes long, but every minute worth listening to.  I, as well, am impressed with his actions, words and demeanor.  I was bothered by the comments about the officials.  If he is asking them to get the game under control, stop the talking to the Cincy bench ... and they did nothing, those officials need to be disciplined as well.  

You have to wonder what Mack was doing.  I would like to hear his Press Conference.

I had forgotten lat years incident.  That was bad alone.  Does X start to see a tarnished reputation?  I think they might.

Agreed. The referees were almost at fault as much as the players.

Watching the X press conference was really unbelievable though. I think the press conference will tarnish their reputation more than the fight did.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2011, 04:07:29 PM »
Agreed. The referees were almost at fault as much as the players.

Watching the X press conference was really unbelievable though. I think the press conference will tarnish their reputation more than the fight did.

Agreed.  And this shows just how much these players let things get to them, not the makings of a championship squad.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2011, 04:10:39 PM »
http://www.goxavier.com/sports/m-baskbl/xavi-m-baskbl-body.html

Disgusting. Classless.

No kidding. I don't know why Mack would even let them talk. Tu sounded like a clown.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 04:13:19 PM »
No kidding. I don't know why Mack would even let them talk. Tu sounded like a clown.

I'm amazed the X sports information director let them do this.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2011, 04:14:42 PM »
if  i were xavier, i would be embarrassed by that press conference.  let's see how tough they are minus some bodies

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2011, 04:15:17 PM »
When it starts, he throws a punch.  Right when Gates is pushed by the other X player (#5).  Look later down in the corner with I believe Gates.  He and Gates throw punches.  He was going after anyone and everyone.

Actually, for the 2nd one in the corner, I thought it was Holloway, but it was #5 am 10 throwing punches for X.  Holloway was dragged away.  It is 10 that is going after everyone.  Holloway does try to get back into it later, but is kept away.  Sure looks, though, that Holloway started it and the other X player that came over made it worse.  To me, X players deserve much derision for what they had done here, as well.

Upon further review, you're right about 5 & 10 in the corner throwing punches. Going pretty nuts over there.
--
Also I want to echo what everyone else is saying about Cronin. But I have to say that to some small extent, his comments about representing an institution of higher learning is an interesting point.  Its nice that he has such a respect for representing a university, and the responsibilities that come with that, etc. But if this fight really does represent a lack of respect for that representation, it seems that Cronin is pissing in the wind right now. The players are a reflection of the institutions themselves, and not just Cincinnati, but the NCAA and all its member institutions regarding their own behavior toward college sports. The reason people discuss pay-to-play is because of the primacy universities give athletic revenue compared to all other facets of operation.  The lack of moral substance of the NCAA is reflected time and time again in their decisions, be they regarding players or business deals. The NCAA straight up manipulates and uses (in a negative sense) the academic accomplishments that Cronin reveres to make record profits by calling what has become professional athletics amateur.  It profits from this fight, and all the other newsworthy events like it.  The NCAA creates the lack of respect for its member institutions and their academic purpose - the players just reflect it.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2011, 04:15:55 PM »
 Xavier had a legit shot at rifling through the rest of the regular season + A10 tourney and have a really high seed in the Dance. If suspensions hamstring this squad they might really have ruined a shot at having a huge season.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2011, 04:17:34 PM »
Holloway talks of gangsters and thugs.  He is simply a punk.  Nothing more.  A punk.  Disgusting interview.  Maybe Mack is the one to blame here, as well.  Is he trying to be the new Thuggins in Cincinnati?

I really believe Xavier is going to be found to be the instigator.  Not condoning Gates, that was disgusting and the stomping was as well.  But, Lyons is being interviewed, and he was one of the ones who started it and threw more punches than anyone, except for Wells from X.

Sure seemed like poor little punk Holloway was upset with words and talked trash all game.

This interview was really poor.  Xavier should have prepped them better before they made it to the press.  That was embarrassing.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2011, 04:22:44 PM »
Holloway talks of gangsters and thugs.  He is simply a punk.  Nothing more.  A punk.  Disgusting interview.  Maybe Mack is the one to blame here, as well.  Is he trying to be the new Thuggins in Cincinnati?

I really believe Xavier is going to be found to be the instigator.  Not condoning Gates, that was disgusting and the stomping was as well.  But, Lyons is being interviewed, and he was one of the ones who started it and threw more punches than anyone, except for Wells from X.

Sure seemed like poor little punk Holloway was upset with words and talked trash all game.

This interview was really poor.  Xavier should have prepped them better before they made it to the press.  That was embarrassing.

He's still mad Jimmy Butler held him to 5 and bounced him out of the first round last year!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2011, 04:22:54 PM »

That press conference was pure comedy.  Made Xavier look terrible.  
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »
I can't access the press conference - it says it hasn't been archived.  Perhaps X was smart and took it down?

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2011, 04:24:55 PM »
I can't access the press conference - it says it hasn't been archived.  Perhaps X was smart and took it down?

You have to click on the "Top Videos" link towards the top and then there is a link on the left hand side for the post game press conference.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 04:26:43 PM by MUMac »

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2011, 05:00:45 PM »

Forget coaching basketball.  He should be the freaking President of the NCAA.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2011, 05:06:25 PM »
I watched Holloway's opening remarks and quit right there. Absolutely shameful. Talking about the "gangsters" and "grown men" on his bench tells me all I need to know about Tu Holloway. If one of our guys behaved like this I'd happily see him dismissed from the team.

Hats off to Mick Cronin. Seems Cincinnati will learn from this. Wish I could say the same about X.

godzilla

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »
I watched Holloway's opening remarks and quit right there. Absolutely shameful. Talking about the "gangsters" and "grown men" on his bench tells me all I need to know about Tu Holloway. If one of our guys behaved like this I'd happily see him dismissed from the team.

Hats off to Mick Cronin. Seems Cincinnati will learn from this. Wish I could say the same about X.

Some of MU's players were recently involved in some "incidents" and the response from most fans was to blame/attack the victim (in both the sexual assault and the Blue "fight").  It's easy to want to see guys kicked off of other teams.  This "thug culture" is rampant in certain college sports.  Root for the team in general, but these guys are not role models (or even good people in many cases) by any stretch of the imagination.

But Cronin knocked that presser out of the park.  The Xavier coach is an enabler.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2011, 05:21:57 PM »

I got through about 4 minutes.  All I can say is, I am a new least favorite team in college basketball.  With that attitude, I can only wonder what news stories we will be reading about those two guys 5-10 years from now?  I would feel sorry for their so-called "toughness" which, ironically, is just the height of immaturity, but that would probably be "disrespecting" them.

feedback