Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What place will MU be in this week's ESPN and AP polls?

8th or better
2 (1.3%)
9th
8 (5.1%)
10th
24 (15.4%)
11th
66 (42.3%)
12th
39 (25%)
13th or worse
17 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 153

Author Topic: Where is Marquette ranked on Monday?  (Read 7083 times)

Avenue Commons

• All American
Where is Marquette ranked on Monday?
« on: December 03, 2011, 08:03:28 PM »
We've got a chance to jump over Wisconsin, UConn, Kansas, Florida and Michigan given they now have losses. (This doesn't apply to UNC or Duke given who they lost to).

I see us going to "lucky" number 13.
We Are Marquette

RyanConroy

Re: Where is Marquette ranked on Monday?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 08:13:32 PM »
My gut reaction after the game was 11.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »
I was also thinking 11. How much does it suck that this game was on BTN? Maybe the biggest true road win any team in the nation has had this year, and barely anyone saw it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 08:22:41 PM »
Top 10 here we come!!!

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 08:23:20 PM »
12 or 13

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 08:23:50 PM »
Eleven. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 08:26:29 PM »
Alabama also lost a home game to Georgetown (who should be ranked next week).  I'll say 12 - we'll jump UW, Bama, UF, and Michigan.  

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 08:26:48 PM »
12 to 15.  It will get people's attention even if it was only on btn. I think eventually mu will work themselves down into the top 10.  They looked like a top 5 team today

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 08:28:34 PM »
I think we'll be a couple of spots lower than what we all think we should be...somewhere between 12-15

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 08:46:17 PM »
I don't really care where we're ranked on Monday. But I'm telling you guys...we're one of the best 10 teams in the country. I don't know how Wisconsin is going to turn out (maybe middle of the pack), but we are as good as we've been in a long, long time. On top of that, we play harder than hell and that is a rare commodity on a team as deep as ours. Depth is HUGE because of how hard we play.

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 08:51:22 PM »
11 or 12

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 08:53:30 PM »
Marquette is so athletically fast and has so many different looks. This team is really good and the defense and ability to get by the opponents defense will make it a great year. How did we get Todd Mayo?

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 08:53:37 PM »
I don't really care where we're ranked on Monday. But I'm telling you guys...we're one of the best 10 teams in the country. I don't know how Wisconsin is going to turn out (maybe middle of the pack), but we are as good as we've been in a long, long time. On top of that, we play harder than hell and that is a rare commodity on a team as deep as ours. Depth is HUGE because of how hard we play.

Agree with everything you stated.  The energy this team plays with ... amazing.  We are definitely a fun team to watch.

As for ranking, I also agree.  The only reason I want to be ranked is to have the highlight's on SportsCenter, which the HS players watch.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 08:59:53 PM »
Seth Davis will still say we haven't beaten a high caliber team. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 11:39:33 PM »
Keep in mind last week Dick Weiss forgot to include us in his poll.  He had us going from 11th to not ranked without losing a game.  That will bump us up as well.

Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 11:55:21 PM »
Should be #7, but will probably be #11.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
I'll say 12.
GO WARRIORS!

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 12:23:29 AM »
12. We have a great chance to crack the top 10 in the next couple weeks but certainly cant look over Washington tuesday.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 01:23:55 AM »

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 01:32:48 AM »
Man, I love this team....but I hate that we are good during the same year that UK and OSU are good. Those two teams are sick. If you dont like how they play right now, just wait until March. I wasnt a believer in Anthony Davis, but WOW....that kid can play. College bball is very top heavy this year---there is UK and OSU (and even UNC). All of tyhose teams are freshman-heavy and will get much better as the season progresses. IMO, I think PayPalCal cuts the nets down this year, finally.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
This could be combined with the earlier (non-poll) post.  I was lucky to be right on my previous poll with Derrick getting 20 minutes today, but obviously noone knew Junior would be out.

On the ranking, I believe many are selling short, and we could go as high as 8th.  It hurts that the game was on BTN and on the day of several football championships, so we could be as low as 13th. However, you have to remember voters are going to see Marquette as #6 in Pomeroy, #3 in Sagarin, and #3 in RPI before casting their ballots, and that MU will have the biggest road win of any team in the country.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt1112.htm
http://www.kenpom.com/team.php?team=Marquette

Obviously we pass Michigan, Alabama and Wisconsin to move to at least 13th.

When you look at how big the Wisconsin win is compared to these five teams, I believe there is a good chance we pass all five of them:
1.   Kansas (14) – with two losses, I’m not sure the lopsided wins over S. Florida and Florida Atlantic this week keep them ahead of us.  Best win of season 67-63 vs. #15 Georgetown on neutral site, no road games.
2.   Missouri (13) – only game this week over Northwestern State; best win 92-53 over #28 California in semi-home game.
3.   Xavier (11) – barely won over disappointing Vandy and Purdue could be enough to keep them ahead of us, but in choosing between us and them voters might be swayed by how easily we handled them last year, particularly since they aren’t in the Pomeroy Top 20.  Best win 82-70 in OT at Vandy.
4.   Florida (9), loss at Syracuse won’t hurt them, but the fact that their best win is over #190 North Florida 91-55 at home gives us a shot to pass.
5.   Baylor (8), won at Prairie View A&M, but they aren’t even in the Pomeroy Top 30 and they play at Northwestern before the vote.  That would be their best win and keep them ahead of us, but they are underdogs and their best win right now is at home vs. #60 San Diego State.

So I believe we could pass all five of those and come in as high as #8, with the only seven teams sure to still be ahead of us; UConn, Louisville, UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Ohio State, Kentucky.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 02:12:33 AM »
TOP 10.....and MU is legit.  Buzz has this team loaded with talent.  It's really all about Buzz.  He is the best blue chip to have.  Top 10 this year.....slight drop off next year (still top 20).....championship caliber team in 2013.....seriously, check out the scholarship board: http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=8

If you've been impressed by Buzz's recruiting thus far,  imagine the class he will land in 2014!.....Super good class in Chicago and Kevon Looney here.  I have total confidence Buzz will land a phenomenal 2014 class,  which will cement his tenure here as very noteworthy.  If we can keep Buzz,  he will be a very prominent coach.  Marquette is hitched to his star and BUZZ IS A STAR.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:28:25 AM by DomJamesToTheBasket »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 03:53:18 AM »
Man, I love this team....but I hate that we are good during the same year that UK and OSU are good. Those two teams are sick. If you dont like how they play right now, just wait until March. I wasnt a believer in Anthony Davis, but WOW....that kid can play. College bball is very top heavy this year---there is UK and OSU (and even UNC). All of tyhose teams are freshman-heavy and will get much better as the season progresses. IMO, I think PayPalCal cuts the nets down this year, finally.

kentucky is overrated. We would pressure teague like no other. OSU is real good though.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 08:18:47 AM »

The delayed NBA season was a killer. Kentucky, OSU, UNC, and Baylor wouldn't be nearly the teams they are this year if not for the NBA's labor dispute. Of course, JFB also wouldn't have been a first rounder. But yeah...tough knowing how loaded the teams at the top are. Still, I think we could play with anyone in the country. After yesterday, I don't think anyone will be ignoring MU anymore.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2011, 10:09:03 AM »
For some reason my instinct tells me we will be 12.  Can't wait for the team to finally come home next Saturday so we can go watch again!

feedback