[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Muslims complain Catholic U. too catholic  (Read 6675 times)

MUMac

• All American
Re: Muslims complain Catholic U. too catholic
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 06:37:12 AM »
not to nitpick, but Catholic University is allowing the Muslims to practice their own religion..., just not providing a room devoid of all Catholic 'artifacts'.  Hence, the third party lawsuit.  Accommodating them is one thing, but apparently not bending over backwards requires a lawsuit.

Apparently none of the Muslim students ever complained to the university.  This has been driven by the attorney - creating an issue where none may have existed.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 06:40:07 AM »
Slow down chief.  Sultan was not talking about the students, talking about the university accepting federal funds.

Thanks chief, but you may wish to actually read what he said.  To help you out, as this apparently may be an issue with you, here it is again:  "Not when their students accept federal financial aid."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 08:16:59 AM »
Thanks chief, but you may wish to actually read what he said.  To help you out, as this apparently may be an issue with you, here it is again:  "Not when their students accept federal financial aid."

OK, you are really just arguing semantics.  Since federal financial aid flows through the schools to the student, it is the same damn thing.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 03:26:32 PM »

OK, you are really just arguing semantics.  Since federal financial aid flows through the schools to the student, it is the same damn thing.

Actually, not everyone knows exactly how the program works.  I admit, I do not.  I applied for my son, did not qualify, so never looked further.  My application, though, was with the FASA or Federeal Government, not with the University.  Any approval or fund commitment would have come from FASA, not the University.  The Universities asked if FASA Funds were available, but that was the extent.

So, in that case I can only go by your words.  Not arguing semantics, but frankly if that is the case, you really poorly stated it.  But somehow, that is my fault for taking you at the meaning of your words.   ::)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »
Actually, not everyone knows exactly how the program works.  I admit, I do not.  I applied for my son, did not qualify, so never looked further.  My application, though, was with the FASA or Federeal Government, not with the University.  Any approval or fund commitment would have come from FASA, not the University.  The Universities asked if FASA Funds were available, but that was the extent.

So, in that case I can only go by your words.  Not arguing semantics, but frankly if that is the case, you really poorly stated it.  But somehow, that is my fault for taking you at the meaning of your words.   ::)

OK...true.  So here is what it is...

You filled out the FAFSA, but on there you indicated the schools to whom the results would be sent.  The school is allocated certain monies for grants, etc....the school breaks down those monies based on their own formulas of the needs of the student...and allocates the federal money accordingly.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 04:28:47 PM »

I will also claim, that I read Sultan's comments through the eyes of a financial aid professional.

Mea Culpa.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2011, 02:36:45 PM »
so let me get this straight.  if mu accepts federal funds applied for by the student through which the university receives for their education to the student, marquette loses their private school status?  because of the federal funds accepted on behalf of the student, mu becomes a public school??  i'm kind of struggling with that.  where are the separation of church from state freaks?  which is misappropriately used most of the time, but i digress.  it seems to me that sultan is saying b/c of the long arm of the fed, supplying the funds, then gets to tell marquette what it can and cannot do.  if i'm wrong, help me out here,but that just doesn't seem right.       

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2011, 02:48:24 PM »
You are exactly correct.  MU is beholden to a number of federal regulations, such as title IX, due to accepting federal financial aid funds.  There are a number of colleges that don't accept financial aid...Hillsdale, Thomas Aquinas, etc.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2011, 04:05:16 PM »
You are exactly correct.  MU is beholden to a number of federal regulations, such as title IX, due to accepting federal financial aid funds.  There are a number of colleges that don't accept financial aid...Hillsdale, Thomas Aquinas, etc.

o.k. then what about it's private status and separation of church and state?  so mu is beholden to some fed regulations, but not others?  what separates mu then from public education institutions?   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2011, 04:24:46 PM »
o.k. then what about it's private status and separation of church and state?  so mu is beholden to some fed regulations, but not others?  what separates mu then from public education institutions?   

1. Marquette isn't a church.  Even so, MU willingly accepts the regulations that goes along with the money.

2. I don't know.  I doubt it since the federal government doesn't generally make a distinction between private and public.

3. It's all a matter of degrees.  No college is perfectly public, and only a few are perfectly private.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2011, 04:37:27 PM »
1. Marquette isn't a church.  Even so, MU willingly accepts the regulations that goes along with the money.

2. I don't know.  I doubt it since the federal government doesn't generally make a distinction between private and public.

3. It's all a matter of degrees.  No college is perfectly public, and only a few are perfectly private.

i am not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything, i guess  i'm just wondering what they can and cannot do establishing the fact that they indirectly accept fed monies through student loans; essentially we are the feds beech then.  the dental school accepts state money directly as they are presently the only dental school in the state.  i can understand they are a little more beholden then to the state.  but the feds...?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2011, 05:01:58 PM »
Well, the feds will do what the courts let them get away with.  Like when they can tell states what their speed limits should be and what their BAC limits should be simply by taking federal highway money.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2011, 05:24:10 PM »
life ain't fair >:(