collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: $2k Payment to Student Athletes  (Read 2794 times)

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
$2k Payment to Student Athletes
« on: October 24, 2011, 12:42:54 PM »
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7143961/ncaa-weighing-2000-payments-student-athletes

Large scale - anybody know how this would affect a University's pocketbook?...if at all...
The "average fan" is an idiot.

🏀

• All American
Re: $2k Payment to Student Athletes
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 12:47:04 PM »
Drop in the bucket.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 01:59:17 PM »
This would actually be a bigger deal for every sport other than football and basketball, since virtually none of those athletes have a full scholarship.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 02:18:22 PM »
This would actually be a bigger deal for every sport other than football and basketball, since virtually none of those athletes have a full scholarship.

But my guess is that this would be prorated.  So if some track athlete was getting a .5 athletic scholarship, that he would also only get $1,000 out of this deal.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 02:35:14 PM »

I'd be interested to see how the conferences would interpret this.  If I'm reading the article correctly (it's not entirely clear), this is a move designed to help ensure that a full scholarship more completely covers the full cost of attendance, and not as a stipend.  This has been an issue because currently scholarships don't pay for the student to travel to/from school and other similar costs that are not part of tuition, fees, room, board and books.  So, I could see a conference taking the position that they are going to offer this only to athletes on full scholarship and not to athletes on partials (because obviously the university isn't trying to cover the full cost of attending for athletes on partials).  Or, as someone else mentioned, they could prorate the additional payment.

I don't honestly know which athletes are on full scholarship at Marquette, but I do know that women's volleyball, tennis and basketball are "headcount" sports and that full scholarships are more common in headcount  sports (football, men's basketball and women's gymnastic are the other headcount sports).  Does anyone know if Marquette offers full scholarships in those?

I also found it interesting that they are going to propose multi-year scholarships.  I wonder how this would come into play in recruiting if one school was offering a four year full ride, and another school was offering only one year. 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 03:49:35 PM »
As it is right now, some student athletes get money that more closely matches with cost-of-attendance than you might think. Schools might provide housing (like MU does in Humphrey for men's bb) but allow an athlete to opt out and get a housing allowance instead. As long as their housing is cheaper than the school-offered option (pretty easy if you imagine paying MU-owned rent vs. dumpy apartment nearby rent) you can pocket the difference.

At least that's my understanding of it.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 08:21:18 AM »
I don't honestly know which athletes are on full scholarship at Marquette, but I do know that women's volleyball, tennis and basketball are "headcount" sports and that full scholarships are more common in headcount  sports (football, men's basketball and women's gymnastic are the other headcount sports).  Does anyone know if Marquette offers full scholarships in those?

For what it's worth, Marquette lists 14 players on the volleyball roster and I'm seeing 12 as the NCAA limit on scholarships.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 11:13:31 AM »
For what it's worth, Marquette lists 14 players on the volleyball roster and I'm seeing 12 as the NCAA limit on scholarships.

Thanks.

That's very common because most VB teams carry more than 12 girls on their roster.  Women's VB is a "headcount" sport meaning that any player on scholarship counts fully toward the scholarship limit of 12 (just like Men's BB is a headcount sport with a limit of 13 and FB is a headcount sport with 85).  In headcount sports every single athlete on scholarship counts toward the limit and "splitting" scholarships is not allowed.  So, there are a maximum of 12 girls on scholarship; the other two have to be walk-ons (which doesn't rule out some other form of financial assistance from the university).  Full scholarships are common in headcount sports because once you give an athlete anything, she counts against your limit, so you might as well give her a full-ride (assuming the university/program can afford it).  In "equivalency" sports (i.e., everything other than BB, FB, women's VB, women's tennis, women's gymnastics) you can split the scholarship money as many ways as you want by offering partial scholarships.

But just because it's a headcount sport doesn't necessarily mean that all 12 of those girls on are a "full" scholarship.  If the VB program is "fully funded" then every VB player on scholarship is on a full-ride.  It's also possible, however, that the program is only partially funded and those 12 girls are getting something less than a full-ride.  But, even if they're getting only a half-ride, the remainder of the scholarship can't be split with another athlete like it can in equivalency sports.  It's my understanding that most D1 VB programs are fully funded, so it's likely that Marquette has 12 VB players on full-ride, but I don't know for sure.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.