[June 11, 2024, 10:23:42 PM]

Hurley staying! by NCMUFan
[June 11, 2024, 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[June 11, 2024, 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[June 11, 2024, 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who would you bring in to coach Marquette if Tom Crean leaves?  (Read 10432 times)

Pardner

Re: Who would you bring in to coach Marquette if Tom Crean leaves?
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 08:56:59 PM »
No AD in place...who "outside" of the MU family would take the head coach job?   Why has it taken so long to fill the AD spot?  Cords left in December with plenty of lead time (maybe some one here knows).  No AD at the F4 to talk up the program if TC jumps.   No chance we could get any one "outside" the program right now under those circumstances to sign up when the new AD will want "his guy".

Only choice is to go back to the family-- hire Ulice for AD and settle on Majerus for the short term with the experienced team returning and a great pipeline coming.  Let him groom his successor.  Other choice is Jimmy Boylan from the Bulls.  Has been a top assistant and collegiate head coach.  Paid his dues.  Doc is not a fit right now for the collegiate game.  Majerus gets us out of the stepping stone tag and allows him to come full circle.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 09:01:42 PM »
To those who know more about the man and the program than I do, what are the chances Coach Rab would get a look? Maybe Majerus for a couple years, and Rab takes it from there?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 09:03:28 PM »
Pardner, it takes a long time to get an AD usually.  A search firm is hired, identifies potential candidates, etc.

MU hasn't had to do this in 20 years so they will do a thorough job.  It's usally a process that takes months.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2007, 09:03:55 PM »
To those who know more about the man and the program than I do, what are the chances Coach Rab would get a look? Maybe Majerus for a couple years, and Rab takes it from there?

Unlikely

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
Can you (or another) expand on that? What specifically does he focus on at MU now? Does he fall short when it comes to his unimpressive head-coaching resume? Can he recruit? Can he develop talent? Is it related to his exit from El Paso? He seems like a knowledgeable guy who's active on the sidelines.

Pardner

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2007, 09:20:06 PM »
Pardner, it takes a long time to get an AD usually.  A search firm is hired, identifies potential candidates, etc.

MU hasn't had to do this in 20 years so they will do a thorough job.  It's usually a process that takes months.

I would have thought that when he reupped TC, the admin had a major heads up on lead time.  I thought is was weird that an AD retires in the middle of the school year.  I was guessing they had a plan.  If TC goes, we are in trouble is my guess.  Thanks

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2007, 09:52:35 PM »
Bring Coach Stephens back to MU as head coach, if TC leaves.

Warrior Forever

• Starter
Re: Who is going to replace Tom Crean?
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2007, 10:58:22 PM »
If he leaves, which I pray doesn't happen, I would go after Dana Altman.

The guy is a winner and great coach.

The fans here would bitch a fit.  Altman has 5 first round exits and never made the Sweet 16....that, according to many here, is just flat unacceptable.

Screw Altman.....he's in the right spot now and has built a terrific program and has tons of support from Schlegel.  At MU, u have to be able to recruit --its hard to demonstrate that u can at Creighton, so why risk it here at MU. 

Stallings or Majerus

Altman can flat out coach.  Given the resources of Marquette as well as the Big East profile, I'm willing to bet he can recruit.

I like the Stallings angle. I'm just not certain he leaves the SEC for MU.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2007, 07:58:30 AM »
Anyone think there was ever a chance of Crean's father-in-law becoming AD (Jack Harbaugh)? I don't at all, but curious so I thought I'd throw that out there.

I like Stephens, but again, MU is now in a much better position to bring in a qualified, proven, winning head coach from a solid D-1 program. I'd go that route first before looking to bring in assistants. It depends what the market is, though.

Once this KY job gets sorted out, all kinds of moves will take place the first and second week of April.

While I like Stephens, I wouldn't dare hand over the keys to the program to an un-proven assistant. In 1999? Yeah, it made sense then. But not now. Not when the program's in the best shape it's been for 30 years. Now is not the time to take a stab at someone. Get the highest qualified guy out there.

If Crean does bolt, it will be interesting to see what kind of coach we'd attract. I'm curious as to where MU stacks out in the national spotlight of coaches. Curious...and scared.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2007, 08:03:55 AM »
completely agree on Stephens, Niv.

As for Jack Harbaugh, if TC goes to Lexington I would not be surprised to see Jack head to Palo Alto to help Jim

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2007, 08:19:06 AM »

Thursday, March 29, 2007
ArchivesWorld U.S. N.Y. / Region Business Technology Science Health Sports Opinion Arts Style Travel Jobs Real Estate Autos SPORTS OF THE TIMES; Marquette Picks Dukiet
Print Save Share
DiggFacebookNewsvinePermalink

Published: July 6, 1986
After a nationwide search, Marquette University named Bob Dukiet of St. Peter's College in Jersey City as its basketball coach yesterday.

Dukiet, 37 years old, succeeds Rick Majerus, who resigned June 14 to take an assistant coaching job with the Milwaukee Bucks. Dukiet was at St. Peter's seven seasons and had a record of 135-64. A Boston College graduate, he was an assistant coach at Montclair State College, Dartmouth and Princeton before going toz St. Peter's. ''Needless to say, my heart is pounding a little irregularly right now,'' Dukiet said. ''This is a very emotional time for me.''

mviale

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2007, 08:31:20 AM »
Is lenny or squiggy available?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2007, 08:58:40 AM »

If Crean does bolt, it will be interesting to see what kind of coach we'd attract. I'm curious as to where MU stacks out in the national spotlight of coaches. Curious...and scared.

I'm in the same boat... curious and nervous. In a previous post this week I asked what schools we thought we were "on par" with... I think that will give us an idea on who we think we can get.

In 1999, we were probably like Dayton, Xavier, Creighton, etc.

In 2007, we are probably more like Villanova and a little behind Georgetown (given there overall history and recent history of success.), and ahead of SJU, even though I think that program could be big if they ever wanted to make it big.

I'm not sure how we stack up against state schools... the playing field is so different given their student/alumni populations, and most have football.

We have some $$ to spend if the right coach comes along... it will just be interesting to see who MU tries to attract.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2007, 09:11:55 AM »
Lets take the Kentucky perspective and apply it to MU when thinking of possible successors to Crean if he leaves.

1) Coach K - He is also sick of the Cameron Crazies and wants to bolt to get closer to his midwestern roots
2) Roy Williams - too much pressure at NC.  People keep asking him what he's accomplished since Sean May left.
3) Ben Howland - No reason there, he's just a great coach.
4) JWT 3 - Is tired of all the comparisons to his fathers legacy.  Besides having his Dad watching over his shoulder is great while he's winning, but it sucked when they lost those 5 games.  Why not MU?
5) Izzo - He can finish what Crean started.
6) T. Diener - Someday.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2007, 09:36:02 AM »
Since the day Travis left, I've predicted that he'll one day be the coach here.

I think MU is better than a lot of average state school programs. I think a proven coach would choose MU over Michigan any day of the week. Michigan's facilities are an abomination. The only way U of M would out do MU is if the university made a hand-shake deal w/the coach promising new facilities and tons of support from the administration.

I also see MU as better than Iowa too. Arkansas? I'd like to think we are on par w/them, but with the good ol' boys in the south, you never know. They always want to one-up each other. I'd say MU is in the top 8 of the big east. That's better than the upper half of a lot of BCS conferences when it comes to hoops in my opinion.

Again, though, hoping we don't have to make that decision.

Majerus = good safety net. you could do a lot, lot worse
Stephens = some day perhaps, but let him get cut his teeth with a Bradley or Wright State or something
Kruger = sadly, I don't think MU would be high enough profile for him, and if he took the job, he'd be here four years mas. Still....I'd sign him in a heartbeat
Heath = a safety net in case Majerus' weight breaks through his safety net

then there's the many mid-major coaches out there that I don't know enough about to comment intelligently.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2007, 10:16:36 AM »
I love the idea of Majerus... but I think his health is a legitimate concern.

I'm not a doctor, so I'm not going to speculate on his actual condition... but he has left for health reasons before... so it could happen again.

On the plus side, I don't think he would view MU as a stepping stone to another job, he has TONS of college, NBA, and television contacts, so MU could get good PR, tourny invites, visibility, etc.

I don't know if Rick wants to be out pounding the pavement for recruits, but there is no doubt that he can teach the game and has great experience and contacts.

Also, he's kind of a lovable guy that would fit in Milwaukee.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2007, 10:28:34 AM »
Brian Wardle is clearly the leading candidate!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2007, 10:45:01 AM »
MU great J. Glaser gets my vote !

milkbone

• Walk-On
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
I heard J Glaser knows everything, so he would be a very good choice!!!

feedback