[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB playoff thoughts.  (Read 21068 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: MLB playoff thoughts.
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 12:11:32 PM »
I completely understand where you are coming from, but if we wait to pitch Greinke on Friday, he will still have four days rest with the two off days. 

I get that, but he's already pitched once this series on three-days rest, which was a second consecutive outing on three-days rest.  Given his performance, I'm not sure he'd even be an option in the NLCS to come back again on short rest.  If you pitch Gallardo tonight, he could still pitch twice in the NLCS on normal rest, but it would be in games 2 and 6.  If you want Gallardo in Game 1 of the WS in Milwaukee on normal rest, he needs to pitch NLCS Game 5 on three-days rest... otherwise, you'd be pitching him in Game 2 of the WS on three-days rest & Game 6 or Game 3 & 7 on normal rest.

I suppose what I'm saying is that IMO, ideally you only want to be forced to pitch a guy on three-days rest once during the entire post-season, but especially not on Game 1 of the WS.  Greinke already burned his ticket, and I wouldn't burn Gallardo's in the NLDS.  I'm not making trying to make a rock-solid argument here, because Gallardo might be a wizard on three-days rest... this would just be my train of thought if I was RR.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 12:20:38 PM »
Did Nyjer mis-time his jump on that ball to center?  He seemed to jump, only to have the ball hit off the wall next to him.

It would have been a good play had he made it, but I do think he misplayed it.  Kinda like Chris Young's play on Rickie's triple in game 2: He was right there but didn't seem to know where the wall was so he didn't fully extend, whereas Nyjer jumped early because he thought he was going to hit the wall, when really he probably didn't need to jump.  I just think Gomez takes gets there a tick sooner and can settle himself a little... it was a missile, but it was also in the air for a while and could've been caught.

This is not me hating on Nyjer, I think he has proven he can play a good defensive centerfield.  Its just that if he is not going to provide the offense, Gomez is still a better option, especially against a lefty. 

Either way, the team needs to get on base much more than it did last night.  I'm really baffled by how this team is stifled by soft-tossers like Collmenter (who leave 69 mph curveballs waist high, repeatedly) but have been hitting good pitching.  I get that Collmenter has a goofy delivery, but that advantage should wear down second and third times through the lineup, especially since we've played him in the regular season once.  I hope the trend doesn't continue against Randy Wolf clone Joe Saunders tonight. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 04:10:49 PM »
I think that for Arizona, pitching Saunders then Kennedy is the right move. I'm not convinced they put themselves in a better position to do win by putting Kennedy and Hudson out there on short rest tonight and friday.  When you look at the matchups, Saunders - Wolf is about a wash, as is Kennedy - Gallardo (roughly from the D-backs perspective).  You give yourself a chance to win both games.  You've got two decent No 4 starters at home, against a pitcher you've had success with. Then in game 5, you would be sending your ace out there and hoping for the best. All you can do.

Say you send Kennedy out on short rest tonight then Hudson in MKE Friday: You've got a strikeout pitcher going on short rest, which might very well put him in a position to not be at his best. He might be your best pitcher, btu he probably won't be at his best, so you're already closing the gap between him and Saunders, etc.  Saunders is no slouch, has had a pretty good year, and has big game experience with the Angels.  Then you send Hudson, a young kid who has already lost in MKE this series, back out there into the fire against MKE's ace on full rest.

I just think that AZ's best chance to win is hoping your hot bats from last night and at home carries through in an even pitching matchup tonight, then you steal one on the road with your ace on full rest friday.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 06:21:31 AM »
Where did my fingernails go?     Jeeeez.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 11:12:58 AM »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »
Are all of the Brewers fans out of town, or is everyone just a tad worried about the Dbacks momentum? (And yes I know the old addage about momentum is only as good as next day's starting pitcher or whatever.)  The board has been very quiet the last few days.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 11:26:46 AM »
Are all of the Brewers fans out of town, or is everyone just a tad worried about the Dbacks momentum? (And yes I know the old addage about momentum is only as good as next day's starting pitcher or whatever.)  The board has been very quiet the last few days.

I'm bracing for the worst. Really disappointed in how the crew played in AZ. Hope I'm wrong.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 11:35:55 AM »
Two evenly matched teams who won their home games fairly easilly.  If momentum meant all that much in baseball, the series would have never gotten beyond three games.  What else can you do at this point but play the game.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 08:52:44 PM »
Wooo!!!  Bring on Senor Borracho and the Cardinals

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 10:19:59 PM »
Wooo!!!  Bring on Senor Borracho and the Cardinals

It's official.  Repeat of the 1982 World Series - only the NLCS.  Hopefully they call a strike a strike this time to give Pete Ladd some revenge.

Dream scenario - Brewers knock the whiny LaRussa and his Cards out of the playoff's.  Nightmare, LaRussa makes it to the Series.

I really do not like that guy.  Never have really, from his days with the A's.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:28:28 PM by MUMac »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 10:28:15 PM »
Could it get any worse for Cubs fans? Haha. Sucks
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2011, 07:55:52 AM »
Three 1-run game 5's.    Three pitcher's duels.  Two #1 seeds taken out.   No evil empires left.  (OK, I know some will argue that LaRussa is an evil empire unto himself)   TV execs going crazy because there are no large market teams and 3 from the midwest.    Great f-in baseball played.   Screw college football.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Hards Alumni

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2011, 12:58:57 PM »
Delmon Young hits 3 HR's against the Yankees and is left off of the ALCS roster due to an strained oblique.    Ouch.    Advantage Rangers.    Ordonez back into the 3 slot, for better or worse.    Raburn probably gets the starts in LF.   He needs to heat up.   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2011, 01:25:48 PM »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2011, 12:43:14 AM »
So, is there anyone who actually likes Toy LaRussa?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2011, 10:40:54 AM »

Bartenders?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2011, 11:15:06 AM »

Dermatologists?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2011, 12:56:55 PM »
Pretty sure each and every one of you would love LaRussa if he was your manager.

I know I would.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2011, 01:29:11 PM »

farmdaddy

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2011, 02:26:40 PM »

As a Cardinal fan LaRussa can be annoying.  Tony loves his matchups with pitching.  But it gets ridiculous with blowing through four fricking pitchers for four batters when one reliever is probably able to get through the inning.  The best way to describe how Cardinals fans view LaRussa is this: He will make an crazy move which won't make sense.  If it fails he is ignorant and too old school.  If it works he is a genius.

And yes the man likes his wine in Florida! 

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2011, 04:32:26 PM »
Pretty sure each and every one of you would love LaRussa if he was your manager.

I know I would.

The old adage, "he may be a SOB, but he's our SOB?  I don't know if I would tolerate him as a manager of the Brewers.  Kind of like Bo coaching MU - just not acceptable.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2011, 05:08:18 PM »
The old adage, "he may be a SOB, but he's our SOB?  I don't know if I would tolerate him as a manager of the Brewers.  Kind of like Bo coaching MU - just not acceptable.

No, he wins. Easy to hate, but cannot argue with results. Brewers fans would be lucky to have him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2011, 05:23:32 PM »
And now Ordonez is out for Detroit.    That is 3 starting outfielders out in the last 6 weeks.   Huge edge to Texas.   Going to need role players to morph into heros. 

feedback