[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB playoff thoughts.  (Read 21067 times)

LON

• All American
Re: MLB playoff thoughts.
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2011, 03:17:55 PM »
He played his way out of KC and likely here.  Hit o k, but clutch hitting an issue.  Too much of a freelance at the plate.  Still do not understand swinging at a 2-0 pitch after 7 straight balls were thrown in the Playoffs.  Makes some plays in the field, but overall a weak spot in the line-up.

The Brewers will likely let him go for the $2MM. 

Chuckie hacks on 2-0.

Yuni shouldn't.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2011, 03:20:50 PM »
Actually, the Brewers only have about $13M coming off the books excluding minor league contracts.  

Huh?  The Fielder contract is $15.5M...Betancourt's option is $6M.  Those are two players that the Brewers had all year too.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2011, 03:26:23 PM »
He played his way out of KC and likely here.  Hit o k, but clutch hitting an issue.  Too much of a freelance at the plate.  Still do not understand swinging at a 2-0 pitch after 7 straight balls were thrown in the Playoffs.  Makes some plays in the field, but overall a weak spot in the line-up.

The Brewers will likely let him go for the $2MM. 

That's the beauty!!! Part of the trade deal was that KC paid Milwaukee the $2M buyout.

That being said, Yuni B was what we all thought he was going to be... no more, no less.  But what sticks out in my mind is what he became in Milwaukee --- the human rally killer.  Consider the following:

2011 Batting Average:
Overall: .252 (career .268)
Bases Empty: .284 (career .265)
Runners On: .211 (career .273)
Bases Loaded: .143 (career .250)

If you go back and examine the 2011 season, I would say that Yuni B's glove contributed to as many wins as it did losses... so that's a wash.  But there were at least a dozen games where Yuni B failed to deliver a key RBI late in the game with a runner on third or bases loaded with less than two outs.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2011, 03:36:16 PM »

Huh?  The Fielder contract is $15.5M...Betancourt's option is $6M.  Those are two players that the Brewers had all year too.

When I say "coming off the books," I mean the delta between the payroll of their roster in 2011 vs. what is projected for 2012.  If we want to be technical, the Brewers have $32.7M less in payroll liabilities (based on 2011 figures) for those departing as free agents but 2012 raises for players under contract/control eat up $20.0M of that.  Net difference: $12.7M which I rounded up to $13M.

Betancourt's option has no bearing on the above.  Since KC already paid the buyout, that is neither money lost nor found in 2012.  What I count is the $4M salary they paid in 2011 vs. $0 they'll pay in 2012.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2011, 03:40:51 PM »
OK, thank you.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2011, 02:52:04 AM »
We are all witnesses. Pujols is by far the best player today. 5 or 6 more seasons and he'll be in the discussion for the best player...of all time. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't resign with the Cards.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
We are all witnesses. Pujols is by far the best player today. 5 or 6 more seasons and he'll be in the discussion for the best player...of all time. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't resign with the Cards.

I hope he does.  For $200 Million.  And I hope the contract cripples them.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2011, 03:29:20 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-passan_world_series_game_five_la_russa_102411

Its too bad LaRussa has rubbed off on Albert.

And as far as I am concerned, he is the best first baseman of all time... and damn close to the best player of all time.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2011, 05:59:44 AM »
I effing hate the Cardinals. And right now I'm not all that fond of the Rangers either for blowing it TWICE when they had St. Louis down to their final strike in Game 6.

I heard a stat on the radio the other day. St. Louis has been pushed to the brink, trailing 3-2 in the World Series now six times. In five cases, they came back to win in seven. Screw the Cards and La Russa. I really detest that team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2011, 08:59:51 PM »
I effing hate the Cardinals. And right now I'm not all that fond of the Rangers either for blowing it TWICE when they had St. Louis down to their final strike in Game 6.

I heard a stat on the radio the other day. St. Louis has been pushed to the brink, trailing 3-2 in the World Series now six times. In five cases, they came back to win in seven. Screw the Cards and La Russa. I really detest that team.

11 Time World Series CHAMPIONS!!!!!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2011, 10:53:59 AM »
The devil has finally retired!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback