[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Majerus on Kentucky and Crean  (Read 11953 times)

Warrior Forever

• Starter
Majerus on Kentucky and Crean
« on: March 27, 2007, 07:51:15 AM »
Not that he is necessarily in the know, but Majerus just stated on "Mike and Mike" that he sees Crean as perhaps the top college coach on that list.

Let's hope Majerus has a little Andy Katz in him with his predictions.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Majerus on Kentucky and Crean
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 08:37:34 AM »
Not that he is necessarily in the know, but Majerus just stated on "Mike and Mike" that he sees Crean as perhaps the top college coach on that list.

Let's hope Majerus has a little Andy Katz in him with his predictions.

Is anybody here going to say that Crean is the one telling Majerus that and Crean is trying to promote himself through the media again?

I don't think Majerus has anything to gain by saying this, so I'm guessing he really believes it to be true.

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 08:40:27 AM »
i think your right, however..he would be on a list of candidates if crean left..if he wanted to coach mu, he would at least stand to get an interview

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 08:42:31 AM »
I'm going to be honest, I think coach crean has no reason to leave Marquette. if this would happen, all i would ask is WHY?
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

ilovefreeway

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 08:42:45 AM »
I listened to this and Rick prefaced this by saying that he had no inside information about anything and this was justhis opinion.

Pardner

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 08:46:38 AM »
On Cracked Sidewalks, Majerus comments seem to be about the Miami Heat job...that Billy D would be the #1 college choice for the Heat and that Crean would be the only other college coach for that job.  I missed the interview, but it sounds like it was TC Pimp Day brought to you by Rick Majerus.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 09:02:19 AM »
I heard his interview this morning and Majerus was referring to Crean being a potential choice at Miami due to his relationship with Wade.  He said he had no inside information on a Crean to Miami deal and then went on to say its been 30 or so years since a college coach was successful in the NBA.  It was just talk.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 09:51:04 AM »
Katz on Mike and Mike this morning is sticking to his guns.  Says that Pitino, Donovan and Calapari are not taking the job and it will boil down to someone from the following list in no order:  Izzo, Crean, Few, Wright, Barnes and Gillespie.  He said that Izzo would listen.  Crean would accept if offered.  Barnes would use the opening as leverage.

I think Izzo and Barnes can be crossed off the list which probably leaves Gillespie as the front runner.  If he declines, than it gets real interesting.  For some reason I doubt Few leaves the west coast but that is me talking out of my a**.  That leaves Crean and Wright.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 09:59:38 AM »
I think Izzo and Barnes can be crossed off the list which probably leaves Gillespie as the front runner.  If he declines, than it gets real interesting.  For some reason I doubt Few leaves the west coast but that is me talking out of my a**.  That leaves Crean and Wright.

completely agree.  Izzo laments the pressure/expectations in East Lansing, so cross him off the UK list (especially with Boylen getting the Utah job).  Barnes? Its not DeLoss Dodds' style to be out-bid by anybody for a coach.  Gillispie - - maybe, but I think he stays in Aggieland or takes the Arkansas job --huge $$, less pressure.  That leaves Crean, Wright, Few or maybe Pearl.  Few has never done it anywhere but Gonzaga -- he's out. 

I still say it comes to Jay Wright first .... he's a better recruiter (at an elite level) than Crean and he's had post-season success.  Not sure if he'd take it though.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 10:00:56 AM »
Until this is resolved, I pledge to maintain complete radio silence.

I shall withdraw into a fortress of solitutude as I continue round-the-clock prayer sessions.  

Here's hoping that the Lord answers my prayers for a Marquette coach that has even an ounce of likability.

PR Nightmare signing off for now...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 10:34:45 AM »

I shall withdraw into a fortress of solitutude as I continue round-the-clock prayer sessions. 

Here's hoping that the Lord answers my prayers for a Marquette coach that has even an ounce of likability.

You must have been one miserable SOB the last 25 years.

I sure hope if we lose Crean the next guy is the most likable person in the universe for your sake.

Personally, I hope the new guy can coach and give us the success we've had the last 6 years.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 11:04:21 AM »
Someone should track down Mike Deane and bring him back to MU to make PRN happy.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 11:12:56 AM »
Izzo laments the pressure/expectations in East Lansing, so cross him off the UK list

Hm, and you know Crean would discuss the job with Izzo before taking it.  If Izzo were to say "Don't do it man", would TC listen?

I'm not to worried.  Either TC gets an offer and does what's best for his career (I don't know what that is...), or he never even gets into the fold.  Time will tell.

4everwarriors

• All American
I'm Just Chillin'
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 11:21:35 AM »
Just don't think gets offered.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mugoose

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 12:17:56 PM »
i dont think crean will get the offer.

turning sides, lets say he does get the offer and takes it. Would majerus take the MU job if offered (which he would be)? He all about being locale b/c of his ailing mother.

Thoughts?

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 12:24:31 PM »
I think Rick would love to come back and win at Marquette. You would have to assume that he feels like things could have gone better doing his first tenure, and that this would be the perfect situation for him. I think both he and Lavin would have some nice built-in advantages with the TV time and exposure they've given themselves on ESPN. Plus, Rick would have the support of the alumni and the fan base - something that was clearly missing for him back-in-the-day.

That said, I hope Crean's here for the the long term and we don't need to have this conversation.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 12:55:26 PM »

There is certainly a Tom Crean slighting in your past. Thought people were overreacting a bit with it being personal but this last post makes me think that there was indeed an "event" which happened and caused you to dislike him personally.

Even those who criticize him as a coach and have met him have mentioned that he seems to be a pretty decent guy. Just don't see how someone can think there isn't one ounce of likability in Crean. Not saying he's the Dalai Lama but he's certainly not Satan.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 01:18:14 PM »

There is certainly a Tom Crean slighting in your past. Thought people were overreacting a bit with it being personal but this last post makes me think that there was indeed an "event" which happened and caused you to dislike him personally.

Even those who criticize him as a coach and have met him have mentioned that he seems to be a pretty decent guy. Just don't see how someone can think there isn't one ounce of likability in Crean. Not saying he's the Dalai Lama but he's certainly not Satan.

I agree with you completely. I was trying to get to the "bottom of this" in previous posts, but usually the posts degenerated and went away from the topic.

I guess we will never know why he hates coach Crean so much.

I hope Crean stays... I guess if he does go I hope MU lands Majerus. I think he would be a GREAT fit.... but I do have a concerns about his health.

He's been out of coaching for a while but doesn't seem any healthier than when he left. He might be a little healthier (I'm not his doctor), but he's still carrying around a lot of weight, which isn't good for the heart or any other organs.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 01:30:05 PM »
Majerus would come back if Marquette went back to the Warriors nickname...

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 04:34:30 PM »

I agree with you too MUFANATIC now that all the cards are layed out. I think Gillespie is gone to Arkansas. A school like that doesn't make a move to cut a tournament-appearance making coach unless it knows it has its guy waiting in the wings. That takes him off the list.

Like Bill Simmons, I think Barnes is a terrible coach (or at least he was this year for sure as I watched at least 8 Texas games). Maybe Texas knows this and lets him leave? Perhaps. Izzo? I just don't see him inserting himself into that meat grinder. His big thing has been about "building a program" at MSU. To him, a program means 10-years of success. As luck would have it, that would be this last season. So, the only outside chance of him going is for him to say, "I've done it. Time for a new challenge" and head off to bluegrass land. Setting up Tom Crean to come in and take over MSU for Izzo.

If Few is offered the job and doesn't take it, he may not get this opportunity again. Maybe he just likes it at Gonzaga. I'm sure there are people that say the same about Crean not leaving for (supposed) greener pastures a couple years ago. Still, I don’t see him getting Kentucky. Then there's Wright. I think his style and recruiting savvy would probably be a better fit at Kentucky, but who knows. I do know that him landing Scottie Reynolds after he committed to UM seemed shady.

In Vegas, I'd say the board looks like: 

Few - 20:1
Izzo - 15:1
Gillespie - 10:1 (started at 3:1 before Arkansas became open)
Barnes - 7:1
Donovan - 5:1 (you never know. They win back-to-back, what's he got left to prove)
Crean - 7:1 (if he's offered it, he's gone)
Wright - 4:1

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 07:23:09 PM »
The only exceptional coach on that list is Izzo----FEW can't win the big one-----Donavan can't coach defense----Crean fades in Feb/March------Wrifggt's 3 guard offense won't fly in the SEC!

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 07:38:15 PM »
The only exceptional coach on that list is Izzo----FEW can't win the big one-----Donavan can't coach defense----Crean fades in Feb/March------Wrifggt's 3 guard offense won't fly in the SEC!

Well, in 6 days, the only one on that list with multiple titles will be Donovan so he must be doing something right.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 09:15:01 PM »
In Vegas, I'd say the board looks like: 

Few - 20:1
Izzo - 15:1
Gillespie - 10:1 (started at 3:1 before Arkansas became open)
Barnes - 7:1
Donovan - 5:1 (you never know. They win back-to-back, what's he got left to prove)
Crean - 7:1 (if he's offered it, he's gone)
Wright - 4:1

I still say it's Donovan and then the field.
GO WARRIORS!

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 08:15:56 AM »
u remember back when dean smith retired and the job search that went on there..coaches turning down offers..who seen them getting any1 but roy williams ?..

donovan has no reason to leave..in my opinion the kentucky job might be the roughest job in d-1 athletics right now..those people go for the throat..even when u win 26 a year..crean..wright..izzo...1 of these coaches will see the job as a "destiny job" or "retirement job"...interesting ordeal to say the least ..month after march madness might b most exciting part of the year..when coaches with names like this are being mentioned .. recruits change their minds and players transfer..exciting times

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 08:41:42 AM »
u remember back when dean smith retired and the job search that went on there..coaches turning down offers..who seen them getting any1 but roy williams ?..

I think you are right on with this.

Has anybody heard from Guthridge or Daugherty (sp) lately? How about Steve Lavin? (ESPN now, but he hasn't really been relevant in 10 years). Mike Davis?? the list goes on and on.

Sometimes these "dream jobs" (UK, UCLA, UNC, IU), aren't all they are cracked up to be.

It is a risky situation for any coach. You can get big bucks, and you might become the next Dean Smith or whatever... but if you don't get it done early and often, they will show you the door quickly and you might not find another job as good as the one you currently have (MSU, MU, FL, T A&M, etc.).

UK is a premium job, but it's a risky proposition because it could damage a coach's rep and he may have to accept a lower level job if he gets run out of UK.

IF I were Tom Crean, it wouldn't be a slam dunk that I would take the UK job... the MU job is pretty cushy at this point and he has most everything he could ever want... If he doesn't take UK to a final 4 in his first 4 years, he will be on the hot seat and possibly on his way out. I'm not sure a cushy job like MU would fall in his lap if he gets run out of UK (which has happened to several good coaches who take these high profile jobs).

But I'm not Tom Crean... so I guess we will have to see how it plays out.

feedback