collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette/College  (Read 16166 times)

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Re: Marquette/College
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2011, 10:04:48 PM »

Not being more involved is the biggest regret I have about my college years. 
I was extremely involved: president of my fraternity, student council, couple other clubs and on campus jobs. This stopped me from taking a legit internship and really made it hard when it came to graduate. Have fun, but remember you are in school to help you get a career.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2011, 10:36:39 PM »
1.  Attend  Classes.  Lots of life lessons and nuance from professors learned, and not attending makes for a lot more work.  Ya, skip a couple of times a semester for nice days/events... but otherwise, do yourself a favor and show up for class and take good notes.  It will cut down on your work load a lot.  I always figured a missed class took twice as long to catch up on.  Showing up for class will avoid a  lot of stress.

2.  Study during the day between classes, as mentioned above, and some on Sundays.  You want to get good grades or you will regret it later.  If you make good use of your days, you can have a lot of evenings free at the dorms when most people are back at the dorms.  You want to be able to socialize and make friends/have fun when others are around anyway.  

3.  Work out.  On your own or with a sport, but work out from day one and keep doing it.  No excuses ever.  Force yourself up in the morning during the week if you have to, but just do it from day one.  

4.  Avoid eating the crappy food and too much of it.  Trust me, half the class will look a lot different from August to when May comes around.  Do number 3 and 4 and you'll have enough energy to study and party.  Don't do 3 and 4 and you'll be busting out of your clothes by January and too lazy to party and study.   You'll just party and end up stressed out and less happy. 

5.  Unless you don't plan on drinking, feel free to have some fun and drink.  Just don't do it 4 times a week as a freshman.  Save that for Junior Senior years when you've figured out how to manage your time, etc.  

6.  For me, I'd drink hard at first, and then tapper off and drink water.... had a lot of fun, got drunk, but could still wake up and function the next day.  No sense in drinking the last few before you go to bed - the only thing you'll get from the last couple is a major hang over.

7.  Have fun.  Hard not to.  
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:39:59 PM by GOO »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2011, 09:03:53 AM »
Not fond of the "skip class" concept. 

Tuition is $32k.  Even with 18 credits per semester, each class hour cost you $55-65.  Wanna blow $55?  Skip class.

For me, that always motivated me to get to class.  Get your moneys worth. 

-- Indeed, while I'll tell my sons they need to maintain good grades, I made a mistake by NOT drinking Freshman, and most of Sophomore year. 

The other tid-bit is that .. I recall a friend who used to get sick-drunk every weekend.  Stupid.  The hard limit is that you are one sip away from being sick.  Taking that last gulp might seem like a good idea .. but it makes your enjoyment level plummet.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2011, 09:05:08 AM »

And if you have a significant other that is still going to be in high school this upcoming school year?  You have about four more days to break it off. 

Both of you will thank me for this advice...

+1
Ugh.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2011, 10:13:36 AM »
Live it up and crush as much P as you can. As a young man a year removed from The Good Land, life is dramatically different. Stay out late, make bad choices, and go hard.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2011, 10:39:58 AM »
Live it up and crush as much P as you can. As a young man a year removed from The Good Land, life is dramatically different. Stay out late, make bad choices, and go hard.
I hope you have 4 daughters.  I'll send my sons after them.

leever

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Don't jaywalk.  Especially if you **might** be carrying anything slightly illegal.

Take a walk to the lake in a snowstorm, just so you can say you did.

Contrary to some prior comments, go to class even if you don't have to!

Switch majors (but only once).

Do everything!  It may be your one and only chance for some of the sh1t.  You'll regret very little, if anything.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2011, 11:03:58 AM »
Well I am only 23 so I am childless. But I did have a sister that I went to MU with and there was no way I would let any guy like myself around her at a bar. I mean lets be realistic, when college dudes go out to the bars they are looking for girls and to get drunk. So ringout tell your sons good luck and may the best man win.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2011, 12:27:11 PM »

Switch majors (but only once).

I'd be VERY hesitant to follow this advice, especially if you are an Engineer, unless you're willing to stay in school for a couple extra semesters depending on how late in your career you decide to change.  Not many of the "basic" engineering courses match up between different disciplines, causing you to almost start from scratch.

Obviously doing something that makes you happy is priority number one, but I would never suggest you switch majors unless you really think it needs to happen.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2011, 01:04:58 PM »
I'd be VERY hesitant to follow this advice, especially if you are an Engineer, unless you're willing to stay in school for a couple extra semesters depending on how late in your career you decide to change.  Not many of the "basic" engineering courses match up between different disciplines, causing you to almost start from scratch.

Obviously doing something that makes you happy is priority number one, but I would never suggest you switch majors unless you really think it needs to happen.

I had a friend at MU who's advisor told him that if he switched majors, he didn't have to go to class that day.  He changed his major 3 times that week.  Never did graduate either...

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2011, 01:13:54 PM »
keep an eye out at the rec center for intramural refereeing jobs (basketball) when I was at MU
we were supervisors by sophomore year and it is super fun / easy!
good way to make some dough and meet some new people.

leever

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2011, 01:44:56 PM »

It was semi-tongue in cheek - - but based on first hand experience it can be done.  I did start out in Engineering, recognized that it wasn't for me 1st semester Sophomore year and managed to graduate in 4 years with a BS BA.  Required some careful course management, but it did fit in much better with the full college experience (i.e., drinking and playing hoops!) for me.  100% agree that what "makes you happy is priority number one", you just need to find out early enough to make it happen.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain

Onions!

• Walk-On
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2011, 10:45:45 PM »
keep an eye out at the rec center for intramural refereeing jobs (basketball) when I was at MU
we were supervisors by sophomore year and it is super fun / easy!
good way to make some dough and meet some new people.

Haha, funny thing, I've already contacted the Rec Center about this specific position!! Hopefully I'll get hired as one of them.

You guys have been great!! If you have more keep em coming!!!

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2011, 11:14:33 PM »
I don't always like to give advice, so I'll just put down some lessons that I personally learned...they don't apply to everyone though for sure.

- Many of the best times I had in college were at the basketball games - I wish I went to each and every one
- Studying abroad in Ireland was a top 3 experience in my life - there is nothing quite like living in another culture
- I am glad I did not have a steady girlfriend my first few years of school, some people were caught up in long distance relationships or overly serious relationships that were very time consuming and missed out on a lot of fun and forming strong bonds with now lifelong friends
- I had some good friends drop out of school after their freshmen year because they could not keep a 3.0 and lost their scholarship
- First few weekends of house parties at MU were some of the most fun I have ever had
- I visited a bunch of other schools when I could - always a great time, especially during football season (one thing we miss out on at MU)
- Having two TVs, two Xboxes, and two copies of Halo in my junior year apartment with my roomate was awesome
- I grew to love the Oriental Theater
- I loved the Rave - saw so many shows there
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

classof2k

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2011, 12:07:15 AM »
Tips?  I was never able to employ this strategy myself, but...

1) Show up and move in early (or as soon as you can)
2) Hang around McCormick and/or Cobeen and keep your eyes peeled for the girls you'd like to meet
3) Help them move in... you're immediately the nice guy and they basically have to acknowledge you when you bump into them later.  Instant conversation starter.
4) Do this every fall for as long as you as you can.

I've been told this works even better if you approach the parent(s) with offers to help as that reduces the creepy factor.

In all seriousness, my best friends 10+ years later are guys I met my first week on campus.  ...so long as you do "stuff" (whatever that stuff might be), you'll be fine.  Regarding study/grades/involvement, be sure to understand and achieve what's needed for opening whatever doors you want open come graduation time.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2011, 12:15:03 AM »
I'm with TMreddevil.

+ See and experience Milwaukee. Marquette is to be conquered your first year. Then expand. Take the city trans if you must. Great for dates because you can have lots of time to talk. Okay, dates that go WELL.

+ See a movie at The Oriental. Classy. Still have to take my girlfriend (not from MU) there.

+ Get a job. Not your first semester, and probably not your second. That'd be the earliest I'd recommend. Work in the Pub or a food place on campus. It'll help feed your face while on the job. And maybe your close buddies' and a girl's you like, as well. I was a pub cook and tour guide. Got some tips while on tour. Twas nice!

+ Get along with your roommate. If not, start to find the one for your soph year.

+ Stay up late. Especially your first few weeks. Precious bonding time and seriously some of the most fun, memorable moments your first year.

+ Enjoy Milwaukee in all 4 seasons. As a California boy, I didn't get to stay over the course of a summer, but left during July after I graduated. Milwaukee, like its citizens, really come alive spring and well into summer.

+ Choose the right cafeteria plan. Adjust it AS SOON as you notice you don't need that many meals. Don't waste the $.

+ Rush. I kinda wish I did just for the experience.

+ Don't skip Frosh Orientation events.

+ Don't be a "shut in": dude that just stays in and plays games or sits in front of a computer.

+ Go on a hay ride.

+ Never join bible study for a girl or girls. N-E-V-E-R.

+ Do pranks on your roommate, floor mates, and hall mates. Topics of conversation for your four years.

+ Report back to us about your experiences! :D (living vicariously...it never gets old. we just do)

My freshman year roommate and my soph year roommate became my junior and senior year roommates.
We remain good friends. And I met the latter through the former.

And the last bit of advice. My soph year roommate had a roommate his frosh year - the guy transferred out after his 1st semester - who didn't lock the door and was abusing his weenis. Not cool. Not cool at all.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:18:53 AM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2011, 08:38:13 AM »
+ Don't go home every weekend.  A guy I knew from high school (in MN) .. his dad had a job near MU and DROVE HOME TO MINNESOTA almost every weekend, increasing his social outcast status.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2011, 08:55:35 AM »
Won't repeat the awesome suggestions above.  A few more...

~Learn how to do laundry
~Get a US Bank acct (they are still in the union right?), avoid those stupid ATM fees
~Bring hair clippers with you, learn how to use them, and charge guys on your $5 (or beers) for some extra cash
~Make friends with the guy who has a car, don't bring your car
~MU still do block meal plans?  If so, track how many, don't want to run out in early December
~If you want to socialize, study in the union, if you wanna get crap done, hunker down in the library
~Get to your first class on the first day early so you can choose your seat, most likely going to be your seat for the semester

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2011, 09:14:24 AM »
Not fond of the "skip class" concept.  

Tuition is $32k.  Even with 18 credits per semester, each class hour cost you $55-65.  Wanna blow $55?  Skip class.

For me, that always motivated me to get to class.  Get your moneys worth.  

I disagree - it depends on the kid and the class.  By your logic, if you were to order an amazing steak dinner and it came with a small side of some crap you didn't like, you'd gobble up the side of crap because you 'paid for it'.  Should kids show up hours early for a big game against Savannah St. (no offense, Savannah St.), and stand loud and proud until after the final buzzer sounds?  Of course!, says your logic.

It depends on how you learn, how the class is taught, etc.  

Other thoughts... hmm...

+ Find good meals (economical, tasty, filling, or otherwise 'good') - make sure to keep trying out places and find some meals that are great for you... Grebe's, before they fricken closed the one on campus, had some great lunch deals... probably because I was at Campus Town, but, we started getting the chicken strip basket at DQ all the time.  It was incredible.  However, I've tried them a few times over the past couple of years and they are absolute a$$.  Not sure if DQ has changed or I have.  But, it was good at the time.  

+ Live with a handful of other people at a Campus Town type spot.  Not saying Campus Town necessarily, as I was there in its 2nd or 3rd year and we beat that place up plenty good - it's gotta be hurting a bit by now - but, a place with 3, 4, 5 or so other roommates is an interesting experience.  Definitely not all good, but fun and interesting.  Also, in some setups you have certain other apartments in the same complex that you may become very good friends with.. it's as if you have a few different 'homes'.  

+ Get out around the town some.   Utilize the bus.  Go to concerts.

+ If you're not Catholic, convert quickly you effin sinner.

+ Get a job - not your first semester, but at some point.  

+ Find the health services place.  I went there a number of times for strep throat over the years.  They were very helpful.  ZFB said they are very understanding too... whereas most people would have asked him, "come on dude, how can you keep accidentally sitting on the remote every weekend?!", they just helped him with his recurring issue and sent him on his way.

+ Get an internship if it makes sense in your major.  This goes back to the, 'don't get some dumb liberal arts major' comment.. but, many people find employment (at least they did in my day) a year or more prior to completing college.  Makes your final semesters quite a bit more relaxing and some of the experience you can get is incredible.

+ Use school funds for your selfish interests.  Bring concerts to campus.  Varsity show with Common, Boogiemonsters, Beatnuts, Prince Poetry, etc was fresh.

+ Find a dump partner(s).  In the dorms, if you've got a buddy or two that likes to sh1t, give a heads up to them when you're about to head into a stall.  If there are a couple of you dumping in adjacent stalls, the experience is greatly enhanced.  Whoever has the best sounds and smells wins.  

+ Don't go greek.  It's geigh.  Casually dating a greek chick is a good idea, though.  You go to one of their functions and you have an in with a lot of those chicks.  

+ Watch your back.  Nothing to freak out about at all and I'm not saying this because it's MU, but just be defensive-minded especially when walking around alone or late at night.  

+ Sleep when you're dead.  Late night talks with your pals or even a chick before you-know-what are great.  Especially your first two years in the dorms.. this goes hand-in-hand with not having super early classes.

+ Meet people early on - definitely get into your dorm very early if you can.  Walk around, be in the lobby, help people with their move into the building (hot chicks or big guys mostly).

+ Be honest with chicks.  They will get over you 'saying hi' to all their friends if you're up front about it.  Truthful creep > lying creep.  

+ In your dorm, if you're on the floor, leave your door open unless you're spanking it or sleeping.  

+ Workout.  If you hate weightlifting, at least play some basketball.  

+ Keep a roll of Bounce or other fabric softener in your dorm room.

+ Stay humble and be respectful of your elders.  You'll be convinced that your  analytical skills are superior and your intellect is impressive by Thanksgiving break, but remember you're just a kid.  It's fine to have strong opinions and thoughts on things - and it's healthy to debate with your peers 24/7 - but if it's the best opinions and true facts that you desire, just stop by the Scoop as there are many grown ups who can provide those.

+ Freshman year - absolutely run things in your studies.  The stuff is very easy, no reason to not be in 3.7-4.0 range.  It makes the rest of the years so much more enjoyable, not to mention that you may be able to earn additional scholarships and it will help in your job seeking endeavors.  

+ Overall: work hard, play hard.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:16:46 AM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2011, 09:49:51 AM »
Open doors create open floors.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2011, 11:22:54 AM »
Yea, everything has pretty much been covered. The only advice I would third is do not date someone from back home or from a different school your freshman year. I repeat DO NOT. I don't care if you end up marrying the chick it will forever alter your college experience. Trust me I was the dunce that didn't follow this advice and paid dearly for it.

Along those lines, if your roommate has a girlfriend that's not at Marquette, run. You are in for a whole bunch of awkward phone convos, stupid fights, and solo nights.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2011, 11:36:08 AM »
^^ Don't listen to old farts who tell you not to listen to old farts.

lol...but really what has changed in college over the decades: Need for liquor, need to bird dog chicks, hoops fever and to some how attend class just to keep the grades up and the P's money flowing.  The base Hierarchy of Needs remain unchanged.  

Just had a big reunion, here is what I wish I did back in the day or what has changed for the better.
  • Back in the day, the MU campus was it. Downtown was dead and closing. Most bars were working class and "college kids" were not welcome.  It was interesting at reunion for those not back in a while to see downtown:  "Wow, Milwaukee has changed. I would actually enjoy Milwaukee for college now-a-days.  What a difference"
  • Parents are cool.  Most of us went to college and know the drill unlike our parents.  More so, if the P's are up, you can drink in Milwaukee if underage. More so, they pay for the pre-party for you and your buddies
  • For the first time, more Illinois than WI students attend MU.  The commuters go to UWM now vs. BITD.  UWM is a much better and bigger school which makes the whole East Side and downtown younger.  Explore these areas, the Cream City is a lot more vibrant..
  • Study abroad was not a real option BITD.  In my day there was a space in abroad, but you can do both today

Here are some still true tips:  Drink Lite beer if a marathon, Oyster Cracker Wars, Close Wolski's, a SOB, Milwaukee in the summers for the fests.  Enjoy, it goes fast but the stories and friendships last forever.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2011, 12:18:20 PM »
Almost forgot, start cracker fights with randoms at 3am at Chili. Just don't throw hand full's until you're done eating because they will toss you.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2011, 03:29:25 PM »
I disagree - it depends on the kid and the class.  By your logic, if you were to order an amazing steak dinner and it came with a small side of some crap you didn't like, you'd gobble up the side of crap because you 'paid for it'.  Should kids show up hours early for a big game against Savannah St. (no offense, Savannah St.), and stand loud and proud until after the final buzzer sounds?  Of course!, says your logic.

It depends on how you learn, how the class is taught, etc.  

Other thoughts... hmm...

+ Find good meals (economical, tasty, filling, or otherwise 'good') - make sure to keep trying out places and find some meals that are great for you... Grebe's, before they fricken closed the one on campus, had some great lunch deals... probably because I was at Campus Town, but, we started getting the chicken strip basket at DQ all the time.  It was incredible.  However, I've tried them a few times over the past couple of years and they are absolute a$$.  Not sure if DQ has changed or I have.  But, it was good at the time.  

+ Live with a handful of other people at a Campus Town type spot.  Not saying Campus Town necessarily, as I was there in its 2nd or 3rd year and we beat that place up plenty good - it's gotta be hurting a bit by now - but, a place with 3, 4, 5 or so other roommates is an interesting experience.  Definitely not all good, but fun and interesting.  Also, in some setups you have certain other apartments in the same complex that you may become very good friends with.. it's as if you have a few different 'homes'.  

+ Get out around the town some.   Utilize the bus.  Go to concerts.

+ If you're not Catholic, convert quickly you effin sinner.

+ Get a job - not your first semester, but at some point.  

+ Find the health services place.  I went there a number of times for strep throat over the years.  They were very helpful.  ZFB said they are very understanding too... whereas most people would have asked him, "come on dude, how can you keep accidentally sitting on the remote every weekend?!", they just helped him with his recurring issue and sent him on his way.

+ Get an internship if it makes sense in your major.  This goes back to the, 'don't get some dumb liberal arts major' comment.. but, many people find employment (at least they did in my day) a year or more prior to completing college.  Makes your final semesters quite a bit more relaxing and some of the experience you can get is incredible.

+ Use school funds for your selfish interests.  Bring concerts to campus.  Varsity show with Common, Boogiemonsters, Beatnuts, Prince Poetry, etc was fresh.

+ Find a dump partner(s).  In the dorms, if you've got a buddy or two that likes to sh1t, give a heads up to them when you're about to head into a stall.  If there are a couple of you dumping in adjacent stalls, the experience is greatly enhanced.  Whoever has the best sounds and smells wins.  

+ Don't go greek.  It's geigh.  Casually dating a greek chick is a good idea, though.  You go to one of their functions and you have an in with a lot of those chicks.  

+ Watch your back.  Nothing to freak out about at all and I'm not saying this because it's MU, but just be defensive-minded especially when walking around alone or late at night.  

+ Sleep when you're dead.  Late night talks with your pals or even a chick before you-know-what are great.  Especially your first two years in the dorms.. this goes hand-in-hand with not having super early classes.

+ Meet people early on - definitely get into your dorm very early if you can.  Walk around, be in the lobby, help people with their move into the building (hot chicks or big guys mostly).

+ Be honest with chicks.  They will get over you 'saying hi' to all their friends if you're up front about it.  Truthful creep > lying creep.  

+ In your dorm, if you're on the floor, leave your door open unless you're spanking it or sleeping.  

+ Workout.  If you hate weightlifting, at least play some basketball.  

+ Keep a roll of Bounce or other fabric softener in your dorm room.

+ Stay humble and be respectful of your elders.  You'll be convinced that your  analytical skills are superior and your intellect is impressive by Thanksgiving break, but remember you're just a kid.  It's fine to have strong opinions and thoughts on things - and it's healthy to debate with your peers 24/7 - but if it's the best opinions and true facts that you desire, just stop by the Scoop as there are many grown ups who can provide those.

+ Freshman year - absolutely run things in your studies.  The stuff is very easy, no reason to not be in 3.7-4.0 range.  It makes the rest of the years so much more enjoyable, not to mention that you may be able to earn additional scholarships and it will help in your job seeking endeavors.  

+ Overall: work hard, play hard.

that's the second time you've referenced your male scat fetish in this thread.  we get it.

The only time I ever went to the campus health place was after I dropped a full keg on my foot and it popped a few weeks later.  They were closed.  had to turn around and walk to Sinai.  that sucked.

feedback