[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette/College  (Read 16163 times)

Onions!

• Walk-On
Marquette/College
« on: August 17, 2011, 12:52:57 PM »
Alright so a week from now I will be moved in on campus as a freshman!!!  It'd be cool if I could get some tips/stories on the Marquette experience or College experience as a whole.

Thanks guys, and looking forward to officially joining the Marquette Community!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Marquette/College
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 01:09:29 PM »
Alright so a week from now I will be moved in on campus as a freshman!!!  It'd be cool if I could get some tips/stories on the Marquette experience or College experience as a whole.

Thanks guys, and looking forward to officially joining the Marquette Community!

Tips:  Find parties, get drunk, make friends.

Write down the LIMO number so they can come pick you up if you get lost.

You'll do fine.  I miss my first year at college.  It was the first opportunity in my life where I could completely reinvent myself because nobody knew me.  Try new things, be yourself, wear shower-shoes :)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:23:55 PM »
And as a father of college aged kids....

Do all that Skat says, but also, get involved, be proactive with your professors (office time makes a difference), experience Milwaukee (if you aren't from the area), and drink some more.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:28:56 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

smrunner99

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 02:02:35 PM »
get student tickets and go to every game (even the cupcakes)

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 02:09:26 PM »
Equal parts study/education and fun.  I don't look back and say "Man I wish I had gotten those 15 extra points on my X test" but I do say "Freshman year Spring Break was one of the best vacations I couldn't afford!"

Definitely get student basketball tickets, lots of fun times going to games.  I remember when a group of us tried to figure out how to "steal" the other teams banner/flag that the cheerleaders were using.  We stalked it an entire half, only to be denied.

Freshman year McCormick was a blast.  Some of my best friends in life were made on the 11th floor that year.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 02:48:58 PM »
Milwaukee is a huge bar city so I hope your prepared for that, if not its pretty easy to find someone that makes IDs.

Also winter creeps up on faster than a bum who saw you get change at Walgreens so enjoy the nice weather durning September and October. After that you will be well adjusted and know your way around for the long darkness that is November through April, but like others have said MU Bball is the savior for the time.
Bring back FFP!!!

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 03:31:04 PM »
buy your beer at campus foods. they let you put it into a backpack in the store. Also, when sneaking beer into the dorms, do it at a busy time. You can get caught walking in on a friday/saturday night with a bulging backpack. Also, make it a goal to make it to Harp and Shamrock at 6 am.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 03:51:56 PM »
And as a father of college aged kids....

Do all that Skat says, but also, get involved, be proactive with your professors (office time makes a difference), experience Milwaukee (if you aren't from the area), and drink some more.
I'm in the same boat as you Sultan.  Get to know your professors.  You'll need them come time for recommendations for jobs and/or grad school.  I also think it's important to get season tickets for BB games, roadtrip to Madtown if you can for a game or concert (saw Neil Young in 1984), get to the lakefront while the weather's nice, and most importantly, my advice to you is to drink heavily.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 04:11:05 PM »
buy your beer at campus foods. they let you put it into a backpack in the store. Also, when sneaking beer into the dorms, do it at a busy time. You can get caught walking in on a friday/saturday night with a bulging backpack. Also, make it a goal to make it to Harp and Shamrock at 6 am.

On that note, take your cans out of the box and wrap them in a tower so they don't clang together in your backpack. 

LON

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 04:23:12 PM »
On that note, take your cans out of the box and wrap them in a tower so they don't clang together in your backpack. 

Or, make friends with your RA and if he's cool (and 21) just have him buy the beer and bring it in for you.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »
Choose your public urination points wisely and

never drink and sit on a railing.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 06:54:43 PM »
buy your beer at campus foods.

Kampus Foods.  We want the kid to know where he's going, right?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 08:50:20 PM »
Spend time outside of class getting to know your professors? Be friends with your RA?  What kind of dorkbaits are you guys? 

+ If you're looking for action and have no game, just be one of the last guys standing and you'll do fine.  Hang out around 16th and Wells at 2:30 and meet chicks. 

+ Spend a considerable amount of time vocally campaigning for the return of the Warriors name.

+ If you absolutely feel you must study, do one of two things: (1) go to the AMU - lots of box studying there that you can meet, or (2) go to the library with a bunch of your buddies.  Try to out fart your pals.  Let them rip as loud and as often as humanly possible while seated by a lot of your friends.  Makes study time fun.

+ Bet other kids they won't do things.  Take up collections and offer money if needed.  Kids will do some bizarro stuff.  Streaking in a bird mask down the girls' floors should be a nightly event.  Also, take a class with a number of good buddies.  Offer one some money for a bet - he has to sh1t in class while you're all there.  Depends, etc. are allowed.  But, he must sh1t in class.  After he dumps, everyone has to agree to play it off like they don't know where it's coming from, even though you'll want to laugh and point at his pants.

+ Do not get within 5 feet of Freeway.

+ Do not take Women in the Bible with your buddy.  It seems like a smart idea and indeed the class is almost all chicks.  But, the teacher will hate that guys are in the class trying to meet girls.

+ Play ragball at MacArthur Square.  It's an underrated 'field' that should be utilized.  Great for ragball games. 

+ Don't get some dumb liberal arts degree.

+ Stay around campus during the summer. 

+ Don't be a wuss - take 18+ credits every semester.  MU is a great place, but school is not cheap.

+ Attendance is not necessary in many classes.  If you don't want to go, don't go.  Just get the A when it's test time.  Unless you're slow.

+ Do not have a car on campus, but make sure you have friends that do.  Grocery shop, etc. using their vehicle.

+ Pizza Shuttle.

+ Marquette gyros are a good late night snack.  If you bring it back to your dorm or apartment, make sure to throw the remains and paper bag out into the hallway before passing out.  One little half-strip of gyro meat can stink up your spot for months.

+ Do not give money to panhandlers. 

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 09:17:06 PM »
Place Carrie Underwood posters on your walls, ceiling, closet, and men's biffer.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 09:55:05 PM »
Avoid 8am classes, have a Monte cristo at michaels at 3am (you'll have to prepay), and take advantage of the cheapest season tickets you'll ever be able to buy or scalp the season for 4xface to an alumni.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 10:15:48 PM »
Guys, Kampus Foods was killed off when MU bought out that whole first floor of that building and turned it into a semi-dorm.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 10:40:52 PM »
Guys, Kampus Foods was killed off when MU bought out that whole first floor of that building and turned it into a semi-dorm.

I think you're thinking of Dany's. Kampus Foods is the one by Subway on 14th and Wells, right behind Triangle.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 11:12:16 PM »
Avoid 8am classes, have a Monte cristo at michaels at 3am (you'll have to prepay), and take advantage of the cheapest season tickets you'll ever be able to buy or scalp the season for 4xface to an alumni.

Hate to tell you- but Michael's ended their 24/7 operation a couple months ago after a triple shooting outside.  They had been doing a "strict" no weapons policy prior to that, pat downs with the full security force etc.  After the shooting Michael decided it wasn't worth the all night operation anymore I guess. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 07:25:07 AM »
Danys is closed???  I used to go there with an empty backpack every thursday morning to get my case for the weekend. So sad...

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 07:26:40 AM »
Hate to tell you- but Michael's ended their 24/7 operation a couple months ago after a triple shooting outside.  They had been doing a "strict" no weapons policy prior to that, pat downs with the full security force etc.  After the shooting Michael decided it wasn't worth the all night operation anymore I guess. 

Not surprising.  Oh well.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 07:36:53 AM »
I think you're thinking of Dany's. Kampus Foods is the one by Subway on 14th and Wells, right behind Triangle.

Oh yeah.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 07:59:35 AM »
Onions, if you take anything from Jay Bee's fantastic list, it would the this.

Quote from: Jay Bee link=topic=27553.msg315506#msg315506 date=1This 313632220
+ Don't get some dumb liberal arts degree.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 08:06:16 AM »
Hey, I have a "dumb liberal arts degree" and I am doing just fine.  I had no need to have my career propped up by a pre-professional degree.  (I kid, I kid....)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 08:26:11 AM »
I lived a lot like Jay bee's list while I was in school (except for the sh*tting myself part).

It was a blast.

One suggestion for any incoming student:

There is enough time in the week to be both a nerd and a jackass. Put in 2 hours at the library most days (maybe between 4-6pm?) and you will do well in your classes and have plenty of time for goofing around in the dorms and meeting girls.

I skipped the "library part" my first couple of years, and honestly, it made school a lot harder and more stressful than it needed to be. Put in a little work everyday, and it's not difficult to maintain a B average and have plenty of goof off time.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 08:32:13 AM »
Agree with Jay Bee and Hilltopper on Liberal Arts Degree.  Don't do it.

Might as well start your job at Radio Shack right now.

feedback