Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Good news on the way?  (Read 25495 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Good news on the way?
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 02:11:48 PM »
Evan Daniels update from today:

Maybe the hottest commodity on the recruiting trail right now is Mitch McGary. The 6-foot-10 center was arguably the most dominant 2012 player all summer long, and now he has to take a strong look at his recruitment.

To this point everything has been played very close to the vest from the McGary camp. McGary, his parents, and AAU coach Wayne Brumm are in the process of figuring out what is next in the recruitment, and soon will narrow down the list of suitors after him.

A lot of teams are getting mentioned, but one under the radar that people are completely underestimating is Michigan. The Wolverines have built a good relationship with Brumm during the recruitment of Glenn Robinson III, and also they impressed McGary on a recent unofficial visit. Outside of Michigan, North Carolina, Duke, Maryland, Kentucky, and others will have a good chance of making the cut, but at the moment not a ton of solid information is out there.

All he says is that Michigan is a dark horse, UNC, Duke, Maryland, and Kentucky are in on him. Note the end of his update, "others will have a good chance of making the cut, but at the moment not a ton of solid information is out there." Pretty much echoing what I said, that he's been quiet. No reason from that update to think that we're out of it, just that none of the recruiting gurus really know where he's leaning.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 02:22:20 PM »
Yeah, I suppose.

With Duke, UNC and UK solidly in the picture, Im taking the 'glass half-empty' approach to this recruitment.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 02:29:42 PM »
Yeah, I suppose.

With Duke, UNC and UK solidly in the picture, Im taking the 'glass half-empty' approach to this recruitment.

Yeah, I think it's the safest approach. I'm not expecting McGary. There are a few things in our favor, however. He did say that he wants to make a decision early on. He's also visited our campus multiple times (I believe three, but at least two). And we've been in on him longer than anyone else currently being mentioned.

If he values loyalty and takes a visit here early in September, it's possible that we could still get him. If he makes a decision in August, I think we'd have a good shot at being the school he picked (along with UNC). The longer it goes on, however, the worse I feel about our chances. If he doesn't decide until October, I'm sure we'll be out of it.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 03:06:15 PM »
"Marquette closing in on a couple of impressive recruits ... one from 2012 and another from 2013. Both ranked nationally."

Pretty vague.

Good news is two weeks without a firing cloaked as a resignation. This would be great news.

Another DW, anyone? We'll see.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 05:56:10 PM »
Very interesting.  Hoping to hear some more good news soon!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 06:22:28 PM »
Pretty vague.

Good news is two weeks without a firing cloaked as a resignation. This would be great news.

Another DW, anyone? We'll see.

We've already go a Derrick Wilson, why would we need another?  ?-( ?-(

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 07:05:17 PM »
I'd be very surprised if it was McGary. At least a year ago, before he was a consensus top-10 recruit, he had said that Texas was his dream school. He also mentioned a desire to play for Duke or UNC if they were interested in him.

He may have changed his opinion based on visits and whatnot, but I'd be surprised.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 07:12:10 PM »
I'd be very surprised if it was McGary. At least a year ago, before he was a consensus top-10 recruit, he had said that Texas was his dream school. He also mentioned a desire to play for Duke or UNC if they were interested in him.

He may have changed his opinion based on visits and whatnot, but I'd be surprised.

Honestly, he's a coin flip guy. Texas offered a few months ago and the assumption was he'd go as soon as they offered...and he didn't. Then the rumor was that he'd go to UNC if they offered. They did, but so far, he hasn't gone. I'm guessing he's going to set up visits for September and make up his mind early on. According to Evan Daniels, he literally has around 50 schools trying to bring him in. But while everyone's interested in him, who knows which ones he's actually interested in. I just hope it's a quick recruitment so we can move on if he goes elsewhere.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 07:22:43 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Brannen Greene, and where we stand with him? He would certainly be an impressive get from the 2013 class...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/124706

Edit: Nevermind, saw an earlier post.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:24:15 PM by TrueBlueAndGold »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 07:24:37 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Brannen Greene, and where we stand with him? He would certainly be an impressive get from the 2013 class...

As of 2 days ago:  http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-0802/2011-orlando-aau-notebook-part-9-brannen-greene-tyler-cavanaugh-landry-nnoko-theo-pinson/

BRANNEN GREENE SETS LOUISVILLE VISIT; PLANNING OTHER TRIPS
Pushing 6-foot-7, Brannen Greene is a mismatch on the wing due to his height and refined skill set. The Monroe (GA) native is a solid athlete with a good build who can do quite a bit with the ball in his hands. Greene has a high basketball IQ and good court vision, allowing him to hit the open man in position to score. His handle is superb and he can get through the defense on the way to the rack. Greene finishes pretty well at the rim and is crafty down low against the big bodies. He has nice form on his jumper, though he has yet to become a truly consistent shooter from deep. Greene puts in effort at the defensive end and can cause problems on the perimeter due to his length.
Greene has seen his stock explode as much as anyone in the Class of 2013 this summer and he a school list to prove it. He said that he has offers from Louisville, Georgia Tech, Georgia, Alabama, Marquette, Florida State, Florida, Connecticut, Kansas, Ohio State, Memphis, South Carolina, the equivalent of such from Harvard as well as “a lot more.”

In addition, he is hearing from Duke and Kentucky. He claims no favorites at this point.
As for who is coming at him the hardest, he said, “Pretty much everybody, but I’ve–Ohio State, Memphis, [Georgia] Tech, UConn, FSU, and Florida I’ve probably been contacted by the most.”

Thus far, Greene has visited Alabama, Georgia Tech, South Carolina and Duke. He has other trips planned, though.
“The third I’ll be visiting Louisville, August [third, that is],” Greene said.”[On the] 28th of September I’ll be visiting Harvard . . . I plan to visit Ohio State and Florida sometime too, but I’ll visit anybody.”
On when he plans to commit: “Late November, early December is when I’m gonna make a short list and then shortly after that I’ll decide.”
Greene said he does not know of any schools that will for sure make the cut. He also said, “It won’t be anymore than probably eight [schools on the list] though.”

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 07:28:37 PM »
I'm going to guess Zach Auguste for 2012 and Deonte Burton for 2013..

Though I'd love to see Kris Dunn commit...Auguste or Taylor definitely would be great fits roster-complexion wise..

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 07:43:52 PM »

Though I'd love to see Kris Dunn commit...Auguste or Taylor definitely would be great fits roster-complexion wise..

FWIW, I was hearing today that Auguste was a strong Notre Dame lean and that it'd be tough to get him away from them. No idea if there's anything to that. Also heard that unless Illinois offers, we're the team to beat for Taylor.

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 08:09:38 PM »
I'd put my money on Taylor for 2012...Burton or Tate for 2013. Those are three really solid players, Burton is one player I would love to have for 2013.

2012 Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 10:05:11 PM »
Looks like we just offered 2013 center Desmond Ringer (per Twitter BigDes_32) and he seemed pretty excited about it

ranked #8 center

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 10:46:26 PM »
Looks like we just offered 2013 center Desmond Ringer (per Twitter BigDes_32) and he seemed pretty excited about it

ranked #8 center

Pretty cool!  Anyone know anything about Desmond?  Seems like a pretty good player based on what I just read.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2011, 08:15:50 AM »
Anyone know where we are with Jabari Parker? I know we were on him for a while early, but now he's the number 2 recruit in the land. He was on a Dwayne Wade travel team though so I will pretend that he may still have interest.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 09:05:28 AM »
Anyone know where we are with Jabari Parker? I know we were on him for a while early, but now he's the number 2 recruit in the land. He was on a Dwayne Wade travel team though so I will pretend that he may still have interest.

I'm sure we're still interested, but I'd guess he has a list as long as his arm right now of schools pursuing him. Unless he plans to declare soon, I doubt we'll hear anything concrete for at least a few months.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 01:38:35 PM »

Coach Buzz was out watching Deonte Burton v Amile Jefferson on Day 1 in Las Vegas.  Not a bad sign.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/6795680/adidas-super-64-las-vegas-fab-48-day-1-recap

• Jefferson vs. Burton had a similarly large coaches section, with Gottfried, Anthony Grant (Alabama), Buzz Williams (Marquette), Thad Matta (Ohio State) and Johnny Dawkins (Stanford) looking on.

Deonte Burton vs. Amile Jefferson
Burton drew first blood, going to work inside and out to make an early impact in the scoring column at the Las Vegas Fab 48. The Milwaukee native used his penetration to get within range of his jump hook, showed an improved touch at the 3-point line and even pulled up in the midrange area. But Jefferson, from Philadelphia, struck back early in the second half by getting out in the open floor and attacking proficiently from the mid-post area.

The individual battle was as close as the game itself when regulation ended with a tied score, but ultimately it was Burton who made the big plays down the stretch to lead his team to the double-overtime victory. It was one of the rising junior's most efficient performances to date, not just because of his versatility scoring the ball, but also because of his work on the defensive end as well as the glass.

Deonte is rated a 94 by ESPN:  http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/102636/deonte-burton
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:40:22 PM by Skatastrophy »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2011, 01:47:06 PM »

Looks like Auguste is still bringing up Marquette in interviews:

The 6-foot-9 forward's most recent offers are Florida, West Virginia, Clemson and Marquette. However, when I asked him which schools those four joined he rattled off a few more but then had to pull out his cell phone where he keeps the complete list which now includes Florida, West Virginia, Clemson, Marquette, Georgia Tech, Minnesota, Missouri, DePaul, Providence, Notre Dame, Wake Forest, UMass, Oregon State, Penn State, Auburn, Washington State, Virginia, and Virginia Tech.

[...]

"I'm hoping to pick a top five or seven by the end of the month," Auguste said, adding that he isn't planning on taking any unofficial visits this month.

2012 PF
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/103374/zach-auguste

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2011, 04:16:32 PM »
We have only one offer left.  First come, first served!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2011, 06:22:38 PM »
We have only one offer left.  First come, first served!

NO--it is not first come, first served.  We are in a great position with respect to recruiting and no longer need to take the next guy who says that he will come.  Buzz will take the best that he can get--even at the expense of others.  It is offer one more than we have to offer and take the best.  It is a great approach. 

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2011, 08:40:23 AM »
"We", not sure I understand your point.  It seems that we have made a lot of offers to recruits for the one open position.  If a player accepts it, are you saying that we may withdraw that offer that was on the table?  Are we putting time deadlines on offers? 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2011, 08:42:40 AM »
"We", not sure I understand your point.  It seems that we have made a lot of offers to recruits for the one open position.  If a player accepts it, are you saying that we may withdraw that offer that was on the table?  Are we putting time deadlines on offers? 

I think he's saying if Ray Lee or Devin Thomas were to commit today (both 3-star) and Kris Dunn and Shaquille Cleare called and said they wanted to commit tomorrow (both 5-star...or soon enough) that we'd go with Dunn and Cleare.

Honestly, my guess is that our final 2012 schollie will either be filled by Dunn and/or Cleare, or it will be filled after they have committed elsewhere.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2011, 09:18:13 AM »
Just saw that Zach Auguste included us in his final 8 list.

Quote from: Paul Biancardi
Zach Auguste narrows down list to 8 schools. Florida ,Marquette, Georgia Tech, Clemson ,Notre Dame ,West Virginia ,Providence and Auburn

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2011, 11:29:05 AM »

Edit: Nevermind, saw an earlier post.

Just a follow-up...we're still being mentioned with Greene, but his current planned visits include Florida, Kansas, and Harvard.

http://eye-on-college-basketball-recruiting.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29884776/31372898

feedback