Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pro Am Highlights  (Read 8177 times)

Lighthouse 84

• All American
Pro Am Highlights
« on: July 27, 2011, 11:14:11 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfAkbRQ92j0&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Interesting highlights and just a couple thoughts.  I know Davante looks awkward with his shot sometimes but he makes a bunch.  Jr. looks very quick, DWilson doesn't.  Jamil Wilson looks very smooth and Jake Thomas has sick range.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Clam Crowder

• All American
Re: Pro Am Highlights
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:30:43 AM »
Junior looks like a stud...I can't even believe that is him on that dunk. Are there more highlight videos coming? This just made my day.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 12:55:08 PM »
Does Junior ever finish with his left or going to his left?   He looks fully healed and quicker, that is for sure.   DG is a load, but doesn't look ready to play 20+ a night or to guard a mobile 4.    Jake Thomas has the best range since Novak.    I guess I have to remember about Pro Am defense, but it sure looked like he was raining them over Junior.    I thought DW looked like a young Mateen Cleaves.     Like seeing the lefty jump hook out of Otule.  Being able to finish either hand down there is a huge benefit.  His hands looked better on offensive rebounds. Vander is ridiculously fast, but his jumper still doesn't look smooth.    At least he finishes at the hoop with either hand.   JW brought his Oregon shoes with him.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:19:11 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 12:56:13 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfAkbRQ92j0&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Interesting highlights and just a couple thoughts.  I know Davante looks awkward with his shot sometimes but he makes a bunch.  Jr. looks very quick, DWilson doesn't.  Jamil Wilson looks very smooth and Jake Thomas has sick range.
Junior looks quick, because he is clearly the team's leader and has the confidence to push the ball all he wants. D. Wilson has to play second fiddle to Ricky Franklin. There probably is very little difference in their quickness.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 01:05:13 PM »
Awesome video. Thanks for sharing!

Some thoughts:

Juan - the best is yet to come. Good vision.

Junior - favors his right hand. Gets into the lane at will and with determination. Knows where to release the ball. Nice tear drops in the lane.

Jake - unreal range. Looks like we have our own little Devendorf Zone buster. Little reminiscent of Wardle. Maybe it's the # he's wearing. ;)

Otule - Not as dominating as I want to see him, but more offensive clips the better!

Ox - knows how to use his body, shielding defenders and/or getting in the position to draw fouls. Surprising bounce for the second chance putback. STEAMROLLER with some nice handles.

Wilson - NBA pro stroke. But want to see more all around game. 3 pt clips don't mean much to me.

Vander - NBA athleticism. Work on the shot, dude!!! He does that, he'll be MU's next NBA draft pick...after Jae. ;)

SS Marquette

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 01:06:15 PM »
I think to be effective Gardner probbably does not play more than 18 minutes. However, I have been thinking about the difference between the pro am and college basketball. Shots in the pro am come much quicker, which means there is more running up and down the court. I would say the average shot in the pro am goes up within 5 seconds of crossing half court. I would say in college basketball is more likely to average at least 15 seconds and if you are playing the Badgers it is over 20 from when the ball crosses half court. This would seem to allow Gardner more time to recover between trips back and forth. I am not sure if this makes much difference, but I am thrwoing it out there as a thought. There are also time outs in real games.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:12:05 PM by bilsu »

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
While I still cringe watching Vander's shot, he and Cadougan do a terrific job of attacking the rim and clearly Gardner looks for contact in the lane...couple that with Jae and DJO's physical, attacking style of play and I think it's a safe assumption that this team will be spending A LOT of time at the free throw line this season.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 01:17:02 PM »
One of things I like the most about the pro am is that you really get to see the game close up. I really enjoy watching Gardner put moves on the other players. I can see things from the first row of the pro am that I just cannot see clearly at the Bradley Center.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 01:28:31 PM »
If I can't be in Milwaukee, the youtube videos are the next best thing! THanks!

- Can Junior really not go to his left? Pretty sure that's an easy defensive adjustment...

- I was in the camp of believing Jake Thomas to be just a practice body.  But could we actually use him in a zone D situation? He seems like he wouldn't have a problem breaking a 2-3 zone pretty easily

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 01:33:07 PM »
Thanks for letting us see the video of the players!  There's a lot of talent out there.  Can't wait for the season to start.  Have any of the players grown taller from last year?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 01:35:42 PM »
Jake Thomas will get minutes at MU - book that.  Has a very quick release, good catch and shoot mechanics, and range (in my opinion, better than Novaks).  So long as Junior/Vander/Derrick Wilson/Jamil Wilson can collapse a defense off the bounce - Thomas could be a great weapon next year...both from a spacing perspective, and ability to shoot the 3.

Vander's best chance to score will be to be very active on the defensive glass/outlet, and get himself in transition.  He has plenty of ability to go 1 on 2, even 1 on 3 on the fast break and convert.  Shot will be a work in progress, but he'll get that squared away.  Think people get way too obsessed with form.  Kenny Smith's J looks a lot like Vanders.  Shawn Marion has crazy form, Michael Redd slingshots the ball, Larry Bird had an awkward/less than text book release.  Jim Furyk has a terrible golf swing - but is effective.  Vander will be too so long as he doesn't over-think things..just let the shot fly..

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 01:58:40 PM »
Gardner's feet are just awesome.  He takes so many quick steps.  And that bring it up the floor and spot up for 3 at about 3:50 made me smile.

Vander is just lightning in a bottle, lets hope he puts it all together.

For those who were there, J Wilson has a nice stroke, but was he slashing or getting in the lane at all?  He is so long, it would be nice to have him in the lane a bit.  I understand maybe he was more comfortable working on his shot and distributing from the perimeter for Pro-Am purposes.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 02:02:31 PM »
I realize that defense is nobody's first priority at this event but did any of you happen to notice who was "guarding" the now super-speedy Junior on probably 90%of his highlight clips?  Jake Thomas.  That may ultimately prove to be what keeps Jake off the floor even though his shot looks unbelievable.  

And, it also makes me wonder if Junior has really gotten that much better or if the defense is just so non-existent that he can get to the tin whenever he wants.  

The curse of the Pro-Am...what is it that we are really seeing?  

nyg

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 02:46:44 PM »
Thanks for the highlights.

Junior looks most improved, especially crossover dribbles.  What a difference two years makes.

Jake Thomas was hitting threes way past NBA range, very impressive.  His coming off the pick and hitting shots at the top of the key off the inbounds play was awesome. 

Blue looks the same to me.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »
Thanks for sharing the vid!  Cool to see the guys playing.  Junior looks great out there and Jake Thomas surprised me.  Definitely looks like he could be in the rotation because of his shooting ability alone.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »
I realize that defense is nobody's first priority at this event but did any of you happen to notice who was "guarding" the now super-speedy Junior on probably 90%of his highlight clips?  Jake Thomas.  That may ultimately prove to be what keeps Jake off the floor even though his shot looks unbelievable.  

And, it also makes me wonder if Junior has really gotten that much better or if the defense is just so non-existent that he can get to the tin whenever he wants.  

The curse of the Pro-Am...what is it that we are really seeing?  
I think that is misleading, because that just happen to be the game they were videoing. Cadougan gets down the floor quickly in the pro am and since team defenses are not organized it is hard for one individual to contain him. On the flip side it amazes me how often the opposing team takes the ball to Otule. he gets scored on a lot also. Team defenses are not strong and at this level it is hard to stop a player who is going to take the ball hard to the basket.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 04:04:53 PM »
Two answers to prior questions. Cadougan got to the basket last year in the pro am, but he did not finish as well as he is now. His freshmen year when he cameback from his injury he could not buy a basket. I think he only scored from free throw line as a freshmen. The first couple of games of last year's pro am, he could barely buy a basket either. However, as the pro am progressed he kept taking to the basket and started scoring. You could see that last season to as early on he was not that effective. Come March he was able to take it to the hole and score. This year he can go to hole and score pretty much when he wants in the pro am. The pro am has been a great benefit to him. Jamil Wilson can do it all. I have not checked the most recent statistics, but he was leading the pro am in dunks. The form on his 3 point shot is perfect. He can handle the ball and his passing is excelant. He also blocks shots. He is not out there to score everytime he gets his hands on the ball, so you will not see that in highlight films. He loves to pass the ball and he makes his teamates better. He also seems to have a great personality and really enjoys himself. I imagine that everyone loves to play with him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 05:21:07 PM »
I cannot believe how fortunate we are to have Jamil joining MU and that we will get three years from him.  Very, very smart....athletic player...  And having a year of Buzz under his belt, he knows the expectations.  (the hustle required..."paint touches," etc.)  He is going to be enormous for us not just this season, but for the next three seasons.  Good for us!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 05:29:34 PM »
I cannot believe how fortunate we are to have Jamil joining MU and that we will get three years from him.  Very, very smart....athletic player...  And having a year of Buzz under his belt, he knows the expectations.  (the hustle required..."paint touches," etc.)  He is going to be enormous for us not just this season, but for the next three seasons.  Good for us!

If Jamil can develop the work ethic and play with the tenacity of Lazar H, and Jimmy B - his physical gifts seem to be well beyond what those two guys had...and he should be able to fill Jimmy's shoes fairly well (hopefully exceed them even).  He's got to develop that lock down defender/junk yard dog mentality...which is something he'll always have to work on - as from all clips, interaction, highlights, interviews, I've seen - he sure seems like a really, really nice/jovial guy.  Sometimes those types aren't quite as blood thirsty (though Lazar was about as nice as they come and had a killer instinct.)
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 06:56:18 PM »
Jake Thomas will get minutes at MU - book that.  Has a very quick release, good catch and shoot mechanics, and range (in my opinion, better than Novaks)

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Thomas is still a year away from being eligible to step on the court. Let's not forget that many thought Singleton would get minutes and he's not here anymore.

I do think Thomas can be a contributor. His range is incredible, I don't know that his range is better than Novak's after watching him a couple times, but he's the first guy I've seen headed for Marquette since Steve that could hit the shots he can. Thomas looks accurate about 5-6 feet past the NBA line. He's something else to watch. I do think he'll be a significant practice contributor this year; guys like Cadougan, Blue, and Derrick Wilson will become better simply because they have to guard him on a weekly basis.

So will he get minutes in 2012 and beyond? Right now I'd say yes. Thomas plays really hard, but is more than just an effort guy. You can tell he's got a good head for the game, and I certainly think he'll get more time than the average walk-on. But look at the guys he'll be competing with for minutes just based on right now:

Cadougan (in 2012-13), Jamail Jones, Derrick Wilson, Jamil Wilson, Vander Blue, Todd Mayo, Jamal Ferguson, Juan Anderson, TJ Taylor, possibly 2 more recruits (Kris Dunn?)

That's a lot of quality and a lot of depth to break through. I'm not saying Thomas can't do it, but during his two eligible seasons, we are looking at having a talent and depth level above anything I've ever seen while following Marquette.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 07:00:58 PM »
I think that is misleading, because that just happen to be the game they were videoing. Cadougan gets down the floor quickly in the pro am and since team defenses are not organized it is hard for one individual to contain him. On the flip side it amazes me how often the opposing team takes the ball to Otule. he gets scored on a lot also. Team defenses are not strong and at this level it is hard to stop a player who is going to take the ball hard to the basket.
Junior looks incredible in that video and I am very excited to see what he can do this year.  I have always been high on him and just think the injury/subsequent time off really hampered him so far.  He will have a great year this year. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 07:57:14 PM »
Junior looks incredible in that video and I am very excited to see what he can do this year.  I have always been high on him and just think the injury/subsequent time off really hampered him so far.  He will have a great year this year.  

I didn't see Junior in last year's Pro-Am, but I thought he was the best player on the court at the Halloween scrimmage. Then he struggled before coming on strong late in the year. Think this will be a big year for him.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:05:31 PM by Lennys Tap »

Boards

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 08:03:57 PM »
Junior looks great, popping off the dribble and driving hard to the rack. Gotta love that.

Vander looks like he is finishing more at the rim however, not many highlights...

I got to say Davante's game makes me laugh and I think he adjusts his style dependent upon the competition, environment and situation.  BUT. Let the big man eat!! I think he can be a beast down low, he's nimble, extremely difficult to move, got that soft touch and can drop a dime.  

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 08:08:14 PM »
I got to say Davante's game makes me laugh and I think he adjusts his style dependent upon the competition, environment and situation.  BUT. Let the big man eat!! I think he can be a beast down low, he's nimble, extremely difficult to move, got that soft touch and can drop a dime.

The game most of DG's highlights are from was just a pick-up game, not an actual Pro-Am game. It was really fun to watch that performance, it was just pure up-and-down play. He was winded in the first half, but once everyone's pace slowed down in the second, DG was killing it. He had a number of coast-to-coasts. That said, he obviously won't get away with that stuff against Norfolk State, much less Big East competition. I'm glad to see him having fun, but it's the low post work and the extended range that encourage me about his game :)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »
Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Thomas is still a year away from being eligible to step on the court. Let's not forget that many thought Singleton would get minutes and he's not here anymore.

I do think Thomas can be a contributor. His range is incredible, I don't know that his range is better than Novak's after watching him a couple times, but he's the first guy I've seen headed for Marquette since Steve that could hit the shots he can. Thomas looks accurate about 5-6 feet past the NBA line. He's something else to watch. I do think he'll be a significant practice contributor this year; guys like Cadougan, Blue, and Derrick Wilson will become better simply because they have to guard him on a weekly basis.

So will he get minutes in 2012 and beyond? Right now I'd say yes. Thomas plays really hard, but is more than just an effort guy. You can tell he's got a good head for the game, and I certainly think he'll get more time than the average walk-on. But look at the guys he'll be competing with for minutes just based on right now:

Cadougan (in 2012-13), Jamail Jones, Derrick Wilson, Jamil Wilson, Vander Blue, Todd Mayo, Jamal Ferguson, Juan Anderson, TJ Taylor, possibly 2 more recruits (Kris Dunn?)

That's a lot of quality and a lot of depth to break through. I'm not saying Thomas can't do it, but during his two eligible seasons, we are looking at having a talent and depth level above anything I've ever seen while following Marquette.

The way I see it in 2012, Thomas will be competing for minutes at the 2 with:  Mayo, TJ Taylor, and Blue.  The rest of the guys are PG's or 3's, and Ferguson will be a 1st year freshman.

If you took the label off of Thomas as a walk-on, and instead he came to MU billed like Novak, as a Top 100 recruit - my guess is people would be raving about the kid, and not questioning his ability to contribute in the least.  His range is better than Novaks was at MU - we though Steve was a ROUTINELY hitting from 2 ft behind the NBA 3-line in Pro Am.  Thomas as ELITE level range/shot from 3 - he's going to get minutes - I'm not saying he's going to be a star - but he gives the switchables and PG AWESOME driving lanes as he spaces the court tremendously.

Definitely agree that the talent assembled for 2012 will be deeper than any we've seen at MU since the days of Al.  Buzz can play so many ways in 2012...

feedback