Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Another hit coming in tomorrow's newspaper - MJS  (Read 9510 times)

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
Another hit coming in tomorrow's newspaper - MJS
« on: July 03, 2011, 01:30:17 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/124927089.html

This is why you don't dig your heels in and fight the media on this, because they control the agenda, they have the barrells of ink, they have the radio and television waves.  MU will have to continue to endure these articles for awhile, but this is a much better result then defending the ridiculous policy the school had for 10 years.  We dug our own hole, now we need to squat in it for awhile.

+1 to whomever said the press conference yesterday with Buzz was a really stupid idea.  This article brings that point home in bright lights.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
Re: Another hit coming in tomorrow's newspaper - MJS
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:13:35 AM »
This is fodder for the axe to grind crowd and a failing grade on PR for the school.  What gets me are the assumptions of guilty.  The school, the MPD and D.A. all say there was no crime.  The alleged victim could have helped that process with timely reporting.  It seems she's more willing to go to a newspaper than all the authorities.  As a reporter I always asks myself why is someone talking to me -- what do they want to achieve -- what is there goal?

My wife works in compliance with a college and has for a decade.  She is not a basketball fan and knew nothing about the controversy.  I asked her about releasing student names.  She said the FERPA laws (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) would make that illegal.  Badger fans have disagreed with that and I know they don't have an axe to grind either and I know there is no anti-Catholic bias out there.

I've always felt in journalism there was more laziness than malice.  So it's a slow holiday weekend and I need a quick easy column.  At this point that is the real JS story.  That and a lesson in modern media feeding.  

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 06:47:21 AM by Tulsa Warrior »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 07:42:35 AM »
I seldom read Hunt, I think he really says nothing of substance when he reports.  Unfortunately, others do read the pablum he publishes.

I did, though, read his two columns on the subject.  He must have been tight for time, as this was nearly identical to the last.  Really lazy journalism to not add anything new to the topic.  Rehash of his other piece.

Still, bad publicity again.  Neither of these columns would have been written without Cottingham's resignation. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 08:48:26 AM »
Meh.   Nothing new.    Space filler.    Same hit, different day. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 08:57:47 AM »
Mr Hunt has become his own troll.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 09:21:34 AM »
This is fodder for the axe to grind crowd and a failing grade on PR for the school.  What gets me are the assumptions of guilty.  The school, the MPD and D.A. all say there was no crime.  The alleged victim could have helped that process with timely reporting.  It seems she's more willing to go to a newspaper than all the authorities.  As a reporter I always asks myself why is someone talking to me -- what do they want to achieve -- what is there goal?

+1000. Everyone who has heard both sides of this story says no crime, but for the MU haters (including those here) that will never be enough. Their preferred narrative (it's Marquette, we want them to be guilty sooo bad it must be so) is pushed by a lazy and sometimes politically motivated press (see Duke lacrosse, for example). Sad, but totally predictable.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 09:23:03 AM »
Meh.   Nothing new.    Space filler.    Same hit, different day. 

Yeah, that's about it.  Piling on because he knows MU can't do anything more. 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 09:33:55 AM »
The problem with Hunt and the JS is they won't print names until someone goes public. Period, At this point the news is "who" and if the JS knows who is involved, their libel lawyers won't let them name names.

The column was designed to get Marquette or MPD to be shamed enouigh that they name names. That takes the accountability off the JS and alleviates the potential libel case. Until then, garbage like Hunt's will be all over the place.

Perhaps it is possible the JS doesn't know which players are involved. They're lazy enough that not knowing is a realistic possibility.

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 11:05:04 AM »
On the JS comment section the newspaper's attorneys are earning their pay.  That said a few posts that were libel got through their first line of defense and remained up for awhile.   They named, names and the JS attorneys know that opened up the newspaper to a massive lawsuit.  The game is to push the story up to but not crossing a legal line that would put the paper is a costly situation.

We have a perfect storm this holiday weekend.  There's a lack of real news and a journalist who wants to crack a story and get time off.  You want to do a column that advances the story line?  Talk with school officials and attorneys that specialize in FERPA law and privacy issues.  But that would take picking up a telephone.  People can disagree on privacy laws and that's OK.  At least we can see a level of effort from a journalist who would do a story like that.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 11:26:59 AM »
The only problem I had with the article is it made it sound like only athletic sexual assualts were not reported to the police. The way I understand it (and I could be wrong) is that MU was not reporting any sexual assaults. The article makes it sound like MU not reporting was due to protecting their athletes. Either way MU screwed up, but the article implies it was done solely to protect basketball versus being an incorrect overall univeristy policy.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 12:09:27 PM »
The only part of that article I found particularly bad was the notion that Marquette should be giving out more information about these allegations. They have already said all they can, and should. But for a reporter to insinuate that MU has an obligation to report more than is legal is pathetic.

One part of the lack of information I DO like, however, is that it keeps the focus on MU's behavior.  If names were released, this would become about the individual players involved, etc. As sad as whatever occurred actually was, the greater problem here is MU's institutional failures.  In regards to those failures, MU deserves all the negative press it gets.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 12:35:58 PM »
The only part of that article I found particularly bad was the notion that Marquette should be giving out more information about these allegations. They have already said all they can, and should. But for a reporter to insinuate that MU has an obligation to report more than is legal is pathetic.

One part of the lack of information I DO like, however, is that it keeps the focus on MU's behavior.  If names were released, this would become about the individual players involved, etc. As sad as whatever occurred actually was, the greater problem here is MU's institutional failures.  In regards to those failures, MU deserves all the negative press it gets.

My guess is he isn't talking about the names of the players involved, but the coaches.  There were reprimands, enough people know who was reprimanded already but the school won't say who it is.  Instead they have a press conference and then announce they can't say anything...beyond silly.  Why have the press conference?

Anyone who is anyone knows who the players and coaches are, Hunt knows as well as the rest of the media, but there is this little game being played because no one will come out and say it for privacy \ legal reasons.   Hunt is there tapping his keyboard while all this stuff is happening on the other side of a window knowing full well who is involved, but then he's out there saying "hmm, I wonder who is involved" to put the onus on MU.

MU is in a tough spot as a result.  They can't name the players.  They could name the coaches, but that means admitting what teams the players were on by stating who the coach is (as if this is something 99% of people already don't know).  So instead they put the most high profile coach up for the media but when asked if he was reprimanded, he can't answer.

Has there been an institution short of the Iraqi War Minister in 2003 that has failed so miserably at Public Relations than Marquette University over the years?

They are kerosene to a fire.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 12:59:10 PM »
No need to have a press conference. No need to name names.

They can all do that when ESPN releases a 30 for 30, ten to twenty years from now.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 01:01:46 PM »
On the JS comment section the newspaper's attorneys are earning their pay.  That said a few posts that were libel got through their first line of defense and remained up for awhile.   They named, names and the JS attorneys know that opened up the newspaper to a massive lawsuit.  The game is to push the story up to but not crossing a legal line that would put the paper is a costly situation.

We have a perfect storm this holiday weekend.  There's a lack of real news and a journalist who wants to crack a story and get time off.  You want to do a column that advances the story line?  Talk with school officials and attorneys that specialize in FERPA law and privacy issues.  But that would take picking up a telephone.  People can disagree on privacy laws and that's OK.  At least we can see a level of effort from a journalist who would do a story like that.

Yeah, the comments are interesting.  I'm sure the head in the sanders will say these are all Badger fans causing trouble, but deep down in their brains and hearts they know that isn't the case.  MU really took a black eye on this one and it only feeds the dislike for MU by those in the community that needed one more reason.  It has shaken others that were in the middle.  Very unfortunate, but that's the perception for many and, in turn, the reality for many. 

For the die-hards, this goes away in a few weeks and they pretend it never happened.  For those that hate MU in the community, this stain stays around for decade plus just like those that hate Duke or whatever bring up their foibles.  For those in the middle, that respected MU but didn't attend or were mildly interested, that is the group to keep your eye on. 

I'd just like to see MU go through a 5 year period where we have our crap together enough to overcome some of this stuff.  We just can't help ourselves with Avenue Commons, the nickname change (twice..in two different decades), having our President dragged through priest youth issues in Chicago, this stuff with student athletes, etc, etc.  I know someone will say this happens "everywhere" you just don't see it.  That may be true, though I don't believe it.  For those of us here with multiple degrees we follow our other schools and MU slams the doors on their own fingers more than most institutions I can ever remember. 

I'd like to see a wealthy donor not donate for a new building or new scholarships.  How about funding a retainer for a real PR agency that can guide MU through troubled waters and not actually increase the severity of the storm every time they open their mouths.

Big Daddy Z

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 08:23:14 PM »
I think it's great...Buzz is the Man!

it's a slow time in sports so they have to find something to write about, I'm sure this DB reporters are working all angles for more "scoop"...

let's not forget what happened with the Duke LaCrosse team...

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 09:13:41 PM »
The school, the MPD and D.A. all say there was no crime.

With all due respect, this is NOT what the MPD and DA have said.

What the DA actually said was:

"An immediate and thorough police investigation of this incident might have yielded additional compelling evidence. Unfortunately, a police investigation undertaken even four weeks later was not able to produce corroborative evidence that would support a criminal prosecution."
http://media.jsonline.com/documents/Chisholm_Marquette_letter.pdf

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 06:26:51 AM »
I'd like to see a wealthy donor not donate for a new building or new scholarships.  How about funding a retainer for a real PR agency that can guide MU through troubled waters and not actually increase the severity of the storm every time they open their mouths.

It's not a PR issue...it is a decision making issue.  Good PR can't make up for the fact that MU's decision making is often insular.  Can't make a chicken sandwich out of chickensh*t.

6746jonesr

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 11:55:03 AM »
My guess is he isn't talking about the names of the players involved, but the coaches.  There were reprimands, enough people know who was reprimanded already but the school won't say who it is.  Instead they have a press conference and then announce they can't say anything...beyond silly.  Why have the press conference?

Anyone who is anyone knows who the players and coaches are, Hunt knows as well as the rest of the media, but there is this little game being played because no one will come out and say it for privacy \ legal reasons.   Hunt is there tapping his keyboard while all this stuff is happening on the other side of a window knowing full well who is involved, but then he's out there saying "hmm, I wonder who is involved" to put the onus on MU.

MU is in a tough spot as a result.  They can't name the players.  They could name the coaches, but that means admitting what teams the players were on by stating who the coach is (as if this is something 99% of people already don't know).  So instead they put the most high profile coach up for the media but when asked if he was reprimanded, he can't answer.

Has there been an institution short of the Iraqi War Minister in 2003 that has failed so miserably at Public Relations than Marquette University over the years?

They can't name the coaches either, since it is a personnel matter.  That is, unless the coaches agree to it.
They are kerosene to a fire.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 01:45:13 PM »
Hmmmmm, how many years ago was it disclosed that UW at Madison was about fifth in the big ten in sexual assaults reported to the Madison police..., but FIRST in the big ten when counting the sexual assaults investigated by 'university security'?  Seems to have died down and slipped from recollection, as eventually this will too. 
(I don't remember Mikehunt writing any articles about it at the time.)

OpenLook

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 02:09:51 PM »
Hmmmmm, how many years ago was it disclosed that UW at Madison was about fifth in the big ten in sexual assaults reported to the Madison police..., but FIRST in the big ten when counting the sexual assaults investigated by 'university security'?  Seems to have died down and slipped from recollection, as eventually this will too. 

+1 . . . selective memory loss on the part of Hunt. No surprise, though.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 03:11:52 PM »

It's not a PR issue...it is a decision making issue.  Good PR can't make up for the fact that MU's decision making is often insular.  Can't make a chicken sandwich out of chickensh*t.

We agree wholeheartedly on the decision making part, but I'd argue that the PR missteps have made issues worse.  The presser the other day with Broeker and Buzz...why?  Why even do this?  Fuel to the fire is all that did.  It's those types of PR decisions that just blow my mind.

But yes, in general I agree.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 03:16:54 PM »

Part of it is because we are a Catholic school.  Like it or not, that brings extra scrutiny.  It's the same reason why Republicans are blasted more for infidelity in public life than Democrats are....and the media will come right out and tell you why..."they are the party of family values".   No different here.  Do not underestimate the hatred toward the Catholic church by many people in this country.  When they see Notre Dame or Marquette or Boston College caught up in a scandal, they absolutely relish in putting it in bright lights.  Just look at the comments in the JS and the Chicago Tribune if you want some evidence.  There are a LOT of anti-Catholics out there that are giddy when these things happen.   In some way, I don't blame them.  We should be better than this.  We weren't, now we have to go out and make amends to do it better.

The last thing we should be is on par with the trash that UW-madison has put through their athletic system in football, basketball, hockey over the years.  It's time to clean our act up because we will not be given the same wink wink turn a blind eye like they get.  That's just reality.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 03:20:37 PM »
We agree wholeheartedly on the decision making part, but I'd argue that the PR missteps have made issues worse.  The presser the other day with Broeker and Buzz...why?  Why even do this?  Fuel to the fire is all that did.  It's those types of PR decisions that just blow my mind.

Yeah I admit that was bad.  They wanted to have him be the most visible spokesman on behalf of the department, but it was like throwing blood in the water.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 04:02:37 PM »
Yeah I admit that was bad.  They wanted to have him be the most visible spokesman on behalf of the department, but it was like throwing blood in the water.

Agree - From the quotes I read of that press conference - it made both Broeker and Buzz look like idiots - moreso Broeker's comments about wanting to put the most visible face of the university (Buzz) in front of the media...and then Buzz came off looking bad for the clumsy statement on his feelings about sexual assault..

Head of DPS, Quade, and Cottingham/Broeker should have all been at a press conference to address this matter..each and every time the media was wanting to address/write about it..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 07:59:02 PM »
The problem is the same problem - none of us, including these reporters, know the whole story.  And Marquette cannot tell their whole story.  It is a problem indeed, for MU.  And how they have handled this problem is a lesson on what not to do in the future.

Berating the school, the athletes, or dismissing the alleged victims' claims are all wrong things to do.  As hard as it is for us to admit it, we don't know the whole story, and probably never will.  In the meantime, reporerts need to wrtite stuff and sell subscriptions so when they see blood in the water, they will circle around, sharpen their pencils and write write write. 

This should be a very humbling lesson for Marquette.  Learn this lesson and choose actions  wisely if there ever is another issue like this.

feedback