Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Another hit coming in tomorrow's newspaper - MJS  (Read 9513 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Another hit coming in tomorrow's newspaper - MJS
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 08:56:41 AM »
MU has said basically all that they are legally allowed to say and they've "corrected" their system of reporting crimes to MPD. There's really not much more that they can do at this point but wait it out (which is why the presser was such a bad idea). There's a lot of MU hate in the state of Wisconsin but, unless any new information comes to light, this story will be forgotten by most people and fans in 6 months...although, I have a sneaking suspicion that a certain attention-starved poster will be bringing it up quite often on here.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 09:02:27 AM »
Part of it is because we are a Catholic school.  Like it or not, that brings extra scrutiny.  It's the same reason why Republicans are blasted more for infidelity in public life than Democrats are....and the media will come right out and tell you why..."they are the party of family values".   No different here.  Do not underestimate the hatred toward the Catholic church by many people in this country.  When they see Notre Dame or Marquette or Boston College caught up in a scandal, they absolutely relish in putting it in bright lights.  Just look at the comments in the JS and the Chicago Tribune if you want some evidence.  There are a LOT of anti-Catholics out there that are giddy when these things happen.   In some way, I don't blame them.  We should be better than this.  We weren't, now we have to go out and make amends to do it better.

Right on the money Chico! Probably the best post you ever made.

I'm not sure I completely agree with the hatred of the Catholic Church (though we both can agree that it is out there), but I do think the values we profess call us to a higher standard.

At this point, we admit we made a mistake, due penance (which does NOT mean releasing names) and promise to sin no more.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 10:30:27 AM »
Folks that comment on newspaper articles are more pathetic than internet message posters.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 10:39:39 AM »
I think there is other issues at MU which will be dragged out in the future.  Under TC the kids graduated, under Buzz not sure
that is happening.   Lazar and Jimmy, no, I am sure Joe and Dwight have not either.  JC kids might be challenging when it comes
to graduation.  So it becomes win right away, take questionable Academic kids, or get hammered like TC has the last few years?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 11:04:14 AM »
I think there is other issues at MU which will be dragged out in the future.  Under TC the kids graduated, under Buzz not sure
that is happening.   Lazar and Jimmy, no, I am sure Joe and Dwight have not either.  JC kids might be challenging when it comes
to graduation.  So it becomes win right away, take questionable Academic kids, or get hammered like TC has the last few years?

Pretty sure Jimmy Butler graduated/is eligible to graduate.  Lazar was a Crean recruit - but made it to the NBA as did Jimmy - so really, who cares??  They can always come back and get a ceremonial degree that will help them get a job after the days of making millions in the NBA.

I don't know anything about Fulce or Buycks situations...Beyond that, I wouldn't jump to conclusions about the academic focus of the program under Buzz until we see what becomes of his 4-year program guys.  And truthfully, if MU graduates 75% of its players - which is just as much a responsibility of the athlete as it is the university - I'm okay.  We do know from watching the MU Revealed series last year, that the team had only 1 unexcused class absence and as a result, ran and ran and ran...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 11:12:03 AM »
I agree on Butler And Lazar, there career path is 99.9% better than most college kids.  If they get a second
contract they will be set for life, unless they are like Latrell Sprewell.    So it is important the other kids graduate.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 11:15:25 AM »
I think there is other issues at MU which will be dragged out in the future.  Under TC the kids graduated, under Buzz not sure that is happening.   Lazar and Jimmy, no, I am sure Joe and Dwight have not either.  JC kids might be challenging when it comes to graduation.  So it becomes win right away, take questionable Academic kids, or get hammered like TC has the last few years?

I share your concern, but I don't think it comes down to "questionable academic kids."

With Lazar and Jimmy, they left school second semester to train for the draft. I understand it, but I'm not crazy about this. If they exhaust their eligibility they should leave with a degree.

No idea what happened with Buycks, but Fulce is working toward his degree and will graduate in December I believe.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 12:04:57 PM »

If the kids are given the tools to graduate, but fail to do so, then I blame them rather than the coaches.  My priorities are:

1. Follow the rules and be good citizens
2. Win
3. Graduate

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 01:00:52 PM »
Part of it is because we are a Catholic school.  Like it or not, that brings extra scrutiny.  It's the same reason why Republicans are blasted more for infidelity in public life than Democrats are....and the media will come right out and tell you why..."they are the party of family values".   No different here.  Do not underestimate the hatred toward the Catholic church by many people in this country.  When they see Notre Dame or Marquette or Boston College caught up in a scandal, they absolutely relish in putting it in bright lights.  Just look at the comments in the JS and the Chicago Tribune if you want some evidence.  There are a LOT of anti-Catholics out there that are giddy when these things happen.   In some way, I don't blame them.  We should be better than this.  We weren't, now we have to go out and make amends to do it better.

The last thing we should be is on par with the trash that UW-madison has put through their athletic system in football, basketball, hockey over the years.  It's time to clean our act up because we will not be given the same wink wink turn a blind eye like they get.  That's just reality.

There are bigots on one side who will criticize anyone with any standards for sometimes failing to measure up to them. There are people on the other side who sometime confuse their own bigotry with standards. Paying attention to either is a waste of time.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2011, 01:14:37 PM »
There are bigots on one side who will criticize anyone with any standards for sometimes failing to measure up to them. There are people on the other side who sometime confuse their own bigotry with standards. Paying attention to either is a waste of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgoXUzIwXk0

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011, 01:49:49 PM »

I don't disagree with you at a high level, but ignoring them I don't think is a waste of time.  If people are running around dictating a message about your school, business, or whatever one needs to understand where they are coming from to craft a response, change course, or choose to ignore.  In some cases, choosing to ignore is the best medicine but I don't think we can merely stop paying attention...those are different in my opinion.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2011, 01:52:28 PM »

If the kids are given the tools to graduate, but fail to do so, then I blame them rather than the coaches.  My priorities are:

1. Follow the rules and be good citizens
2. Win
3. Graduate

I agree with that. In saying that, you want the kids to graduate.  JC kids have issues to begin with.  Butler and Fulce could have gone
to a 4 year school right away but decided to improve there stock, for Butler, great choice.  Colleges lose scholarships if the kids do not
graduate, so it is important that happens.  So it is important to recruit kids that might consider, you use the school, do not let the school
use you.  A degree is important.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Filed under: Maybe the policy wasn't such a bad thing...
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2011, 08:13:29 AM »
This letter to the editor from a Sexual Assault advocate appeared in the MJS yesterday: 

Policy change may hurt victims

Certainly, we all can agree that no university personnel should discourage a victim from reporting sexual assault or any other crime. As a community, we need courageous victims to come forward in order to hold perpetrators accountable and prevent future assaults.

However, Marquette University now will be referring all reports of sexual assault to the Milwaukee Police Department's Sensitive Crimes Unit whether the student wants to talk to police or not. Many are celebrating this change in response, including the Journal Sentinel.

It needs to be noted that adult sexual assault victims everywhere else are given the right to decide whether their assaults are reported to police - there is no mandated reporting for adults, only for children. Sexual assault temporarily robs one of a sense of power and control over one's life. Being able to make decisions about what course of action to pursue after the assault is crucial for victims to begin to regain a sense of power, control and personal autonomy. This policy change, directed by the Milwaukee County district attorney's office, strips victims on one campus of this autonomy and may have the unintended consequence of silencing rape victims.

We are encouraging Marquette officials, as they inform students of this change in policy, to promote the Aurora Sexual Assault Treatment Center sexual assault hotline - (414) 219-5555 - as a confidential resource that students can call to discuss their options and connect with supportive services.

By doing so, victims will be able to decide whether reporting to police feels right for them and receive supportive services regardless of what they decide.

Melinda Hughes

Program Director
The Healing Center
Milwaukee Sexual Assault
Response Team
Advocacy Representative
Milwaukee

reinko

• All American
Re: Filed under: Maybe the policy wasn't such a bad thing...
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2011, 08:16:06 AM »
This letter to the editor from a Sexual Assault advocate appeared in the MJS yesterday: 

Policy change may hurt victims

Certainly, we all can agree that no university personnel should discourage a victim from reporting sexual assault or any other crime. As a community, we need courageous victims to come forward in order to hold perpetrators accountable and prevent future assaults.

However, Marquette University now will be referring all reports of sexual assault to the Milwaukee Police Department's Sensitive Crimes Unit whether the student wants to talk to police or not. Many are celebrating this change in response, including the Journal Sentinel.

It needs to be noted that adult sexual assault victims everywhere else are given the right to decide whether their assaults are reported to police - there is no mandated reporting for adults, only for children. Sexual assault temporarily robs one of a sense of power and control over one's life. Being able to make decisions about what course of action to pursue after the assault is crucial for victims to begin to regain a sense of power, control and personal autonomy. This policy change, directed by the Milwaukee County district attorney's office, strips victims on one campus of this autonomy and may have the unintended consequence of silencing rape victims.

We are encouraging Marquette officials, as they inform students of this change in policy, to promote the Aurora Sexual Assault Treatment Center sexual assault hotline - (414) 219-5555 - as a confidential resource that students can call to discuss their options and connect with supportive services.

By doing so, victims will be able to decide whether reporting to police feels right for them and receive supportive services regardless of what they decide.

Melinda Hughes

Program Director
The Healing Center
Milwaukee Sexual Assault
Response Team
Advocacy Representative
Milwaukee

+1

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2011, 08:20:26 AM »
Marquette has such a system in place already...as do most universities these days.

http://www.marquette.edu/haven/

Students need to realize that DPS is responsible for the legal aspects of any reported assault, but that this is where you go for the emotional needs that you may have.

feedback