Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cottingham out as AD?  (Read 31804 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Cottingham out as AD?
« Reply #125 on: July 03, 2011, 11:31:32 AM »

Makes sense to me but that means Dwyane Wade and Siovaughan were probably hammered by the Crean and the J Board when they had Zaire in 2002 before they got married.

Not the same thing, because I do not think she was filing compaints against Wade. Basically, if there are no complaints the univerisity is not going to get involved.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #126 on: July 03, 2011, 12:48:50 PM »
Which would eliminate interfering with a criminal, or potential criminal, investigation, as you've repeatedly suggested was possible.

If I ever suggested it was possible, it was very early on.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2011, 01:08:46 PM »
If I ever suggested it was possible, it was very early on.

Quote from: The Sultan of South Wayne on July 01, 2011, 07:49:05 AM

The MJS this morning pretty much said that there was some inappropriate interference by members of the AD...and insinuates Buzz was one of them.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #128 on: July 03, 2011, 02:35:31 PM »

The MJS this morning pretty much said that there was some inappropriate interference by members of the AD...and insinuates Buzz was one of them.

(Quote/)Just asking. Could someone (I.e. The trustees) be pissed at Cot for  signing off on Buzz's contract knowing the extent of the issues here but not bringing them to the light of the administration? When did the administration learn of all of these matters....before or after the contract?

Also, would Buzz had been canned if we didn't make the NCAA this year, because of these events?

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 02:38:26 PM by Knight Commission »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2011, 02:57:29 PM »

(Quote/)Just asking. Could someone (I.e. The trustees) be pissed at Cot for  signing off on Buzz's contract knowing the extent of the issues here but not bringing them to the light of the administration? When did the administration learn of all of these matters....before or after the contract?

Also, would Buzz had been canned if we didn't make the NCAA this year, because of these events
?

I'd have to think of all things being speculated, this is probably the most far-fetched.  Administration was well aware of all the events that occurred well before contract extension.  Furthermore, how is a flawed reporting policy/protocol (which really is the major issue here it seems) the fault of a head coach who came into a university with said protocol?  Furthermore, as others here have written Quade seems to be very well-respected and certainly not someone who would give favor to the athletic department, or dismiss a girl who was truly sexually assaulted/raped...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2011, 04:22:44 PM »

"Inappropriate interference" does not necessarily mean interfering in a criminal investigation.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #131 on: July 03, 2011, 11:19:34 PM »

From what some are saying on other message boards, perhaps Sultan, Belling, the media, etc are all hearing the same thing.  I don't now if the staff ran interference or contacted one of the victims (as Belling stated), but that has earned some additional legs with additional details on a few other boards in the state of Wisconsin.  No idea if it's true, just pointing out what is currently being stated.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2011, 07:45:09 AM »

"Inappropriate interference" does not necessarily mean interfering in a criminal investigation.

Then exactly does it mean, and how do you reconcile it with the DA's remarks?
And why are some using some of the DA's remarks to hammer MU (fairly enough, it seems) and yet ignoring remarks from the same statement that clear MU on other issues?
Seems the man's word is Gospel when it comes to criticizing Marquette, not so much when it comes to clearing Marquette.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2011, 08:25:28 AM »
Then exactly does it mean, and how do you reconcile it with the DA's remarks?

You can be reprimanded for failing to follow University policy.  This could fall short of criminal interference.

Seems the man's word is Gospel when it comes to criticizing Marquette, not so much when it comes to clearing Marquette.

You mean outside of the whole "failing to follow state law" thing???

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2011, 08:40:57 PM »
Kudos for Chicos for calling MU out when they hired him, but a lot of people did too.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8997.0

In reading back over that thread, I wonder if he never really wanted the job.  According to bma, Wild just waited him out until he took it.  (He served 14 months as interim.)  He took it...Wild retires...Cottingham leaves.

This could be simply that he never really wanted the job and now that there is a new President, he decided to move on.

I like SC, he's a good man, a good lawyer.  I just never understood the hiring to begin with and stated as such on Cracked Sidewalks when he was hired.  These are big jobs.  MU has some serious rapids to negotiate in the coming years with the Big East, the non football situation, etc, etc.  I know some people here want Broeker in that spot, but I'm not sold there either.  I don't know who's idea it was for the latest presser with him and Buzz, but if that was Broeker's, not a good idea.  I generally hear good things about Broeker but would love to know what the vision is, how do we get there, what the defensive plan is, etc, etc.  Margin of error for MU is thinner than most schools.  MU needs to get serious about this hire.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2011, 10:14:04 PM »
I like SC, he's a good man. I just never understood the hiring to begin with and stated as such on Cracked Sidewalks when he was hired. 

Eerily reminiscent of your feelings about Buzz. My guess is that if someone alerted Steve and Buzz to your many posts about them neither would feel very much "liked".

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2011, 12:42:48 AM »
Eerily reminiscent of your feelings about Buzz. My guess is that if someone alerted Steve and Buzz to your many posts about them neither would feel very much "liked".

I predicted SC wouldn't be here 5 years and nailed it.  I've had predictions about Buzz that I've nailed as well....and some that still could come true if another shoe drops....careful what you wish for Lenny.  I just call it the way it is, no emotion.

I think that is the difference between you and I.  You are so caught up in the emotion sometimes that you don't understand constructive criticism and you immediately categorize it as hateful when it is nothing of the kind.  I'm merely calling it like it is.  I'm not always going to be right, but I'm not going to fall in love with anyone to make that cloud my judgment.  Try it sometime....makes getting through tough business decisions and many relationships MUCH easier.  Say what you mean and mean what you say.  Pretty simple words to live by.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2011, 09:53:36 AM »
I predicted SC wouldn't be here 5 years and nailed it.  I've had predictions about Buzz that I've nailed as well....and some that still could come true if another shoe drops....careful what you wish for Lenny.  I just call it the way it is, no emotion.

I think that is the difference between you and I.  You are so caught up in the emotion sometimes that you don't understand constructive criticism and you immediately categorize it as hateful when it is nothing of the kind.  I'm merely calling it like it is.  I'm not always going to be right, but I'm not going to fall in love with anyone to make that cloud my judgment.  Try it sometime....makes getting through tough business decisions and many relationships MUCH easier.  Say what you mean and mean what you say.  Pretty simple words to live by.

You unemotional? That's pretty funny. I'll grant that you're loathe to invest any positive emotions in MU - players, coaches or the institution itself. I'll take your word that this is your preferred prescription for business and other relationships. But when it comes to being emotional on the negative side of the ledger you're world class. I know you apologized for it (and I'm ok with it), but nevertheless your "Choking Dogs Pee Themselves" post was undoubtably the most emotionally over the top piece I've ever seen on Scoop. And in every "he said, she said" situation concerning MU, you invariably (and very emotionally) accept and champion whichever version of the facts is most damaging to MU. Your criticism is often mean spirited and anything but constructive. And you fight and namecall anyone who doesn't do likewise.

So I'd say you're half right. No positives, no attaboys, no emotional investment in the school and team you love. Only negatives. Sorry, I don't buy your prescription for business or life. You think that means my head is in the sand and I'm a fool. I respectfully disagree.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2011, 10:31:45 AM »
o
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 11:53:15 AM by MUMac »

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2011, 11:06:08 AM »
What's "appropriate" interference? Interference is interference.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2011, 11:22:21 AM »
OK....becoming one of "those" threads.  Time to ignore...

Blackhat

• All American
I'm not going to say too much
« Reply #141 on: July 11, 2011, 07:17:31 PM »
out of the respect I have for Steve Cottingham but now that I know definitively what happened I'm also not going to be silent because I'm utterly disappointed in the MU administration.

The salient question in regards to responsibility should have been: was this incident an athletic department wide problem that has manifested itself in multiple athletic programs or isolated to one of the programs?

As far as I can tell it's isolated to our men's basketball program therefore the AD should have been allowed to rectify the problem within that individual program, of the many, that he oversees. 

MU lost a great man, we need more individuals like Steve Cottingham, not less, at Marquette.  SC is a man of utmost moral fiber.

Lastly, I will say this:  I was one of Buzz William's earliest supporters and I'll give him a pass this time but if this ever happens again I'll be the first one in line calling for Buzz's dismissal.

classof70

• Team Captain
Re: I'm not going to say too much
« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2011, 07:26:38 PM »
Did I miss something?  What "definitively" happened?

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2011, 07:29:29 PM »
I think he's implying that he has inside information.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #144 on: July 11, 2011, 07:31:09 PM »
out of the respect I have for Steve Cottingham but now that I know definitively what happened I'm also not going to be silent because I'm utterly disappointed in the MU administration.

The salient question in regards to responsibility should have been: was this incident an athletic department wide problem that has manifested itself in multiple athletic programs or isolated to one of the programs?

As far as I can tell it's isolated to our men's basketball program therefore the AD should have been allowed to rectify the problem within that individual program, of the many, that he oversees. 

MU lost a great man, we need more individuals like Steve Cottingham, not less, at Marquette.  SC is a man of utmost moral fiber.

Lastly, I will say this:  I was one of Buzz William's earliest supporters and I'll give him a pass this time but if this ever happens again I'll be the first one in line calling for Buzz's dismissal.

I'm sure the university could have fired Buzz if they wanted to, right?  What stopped them?  Who was calling for anyone's head to roll at MU - even in the anti-MU Journal Sentinel?  There was no reason for MU to fire Cottingham or Buzz for that matter, best I can tell.  The biggest issues at MU lie with addressing who is making the decision to fire Cottingham, and who is making the decisions as to how MU handles PR during such matters.  

Last thought, what would you have wanted Buzz to do differently in this situation?  Where did Buzz go wrong?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #145 on: July 11, 2011, 08:08:39 PM »
Did I miss something?  What "definitively" happened?

Call me a cynic, but I hate this kind of stuff. Someone has behind the scenes info they don't/can't share but is incredibly troubling. Nothing against SC as a poster, but if you can't say something, don't. If you are disturbed and need to air it, then say it. But saying "I won't say anything, but I'm not happy" does no one any good. It doesn't do the poster any good because they haven't had the cathartic moment of getting something off their chest since they didn't get anything off their chest, it doesn't do the reader any good because it's basically saying "here's a thread with zero info for you", and it doesn't do the site any good because it sounds like more whining for the sake of it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2011, 07:01:29 AM »
I'm sure the university could have fired Buzz if they wanted to, right?  What stopped them?  

Probably because it is easier and cheaper to get rid of Cottingham.

However, let me just guess that SC might not know the whole story.  If Buzz was inappropriate, and Cottingham knew about it, is his supervisor and didn't address it...well...then he is just as at fault.  And like any organization, there are factions all over the place, which means no one person is ever going get the whole story.  I am sure there are those sympathetic to Cottingham that are getting the message out one way.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2011, 07:45:41 AM »
The craziest thing of all is .. no one on the outside really knows why Cottingham is no longer our AD. 

He just isn't.  Move along, nothing to see here.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2011, 09:51:05 AM »
The craziest thing of all is .. no one on the outside really knows why Cottingham is no longer our AD. 

He just isn't.  Move along, nothing to see here.

Yep.
As Jim Mora  said, "You think you know, but you don't know. And you never will."

I know there's been a general undercurrent of "Cottingham is being made a scapegoat" here, and maybe that's true. Then again, maybe he did something deserving of his ouster. Or maybe he simply decided this was no longer the gig for him. I have no idea. I suspect no one else here does either.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2011, 10:16:26 AM »
Stoned will lay the skinny on us any post now.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback