collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Would you attend Marquette again?  (Read 31663 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Would you attend Marquette again?
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2011, 01:54:35 PM »
I think a lot of people overvalue the name on the piece of paper.

Making a good impression and having good connections are far more important factors in getting a job.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2011, 08:16:32 PM »
I think a lot of people overvalue the name on the piece of paper.

Making a good impression and having good connections are far more important factors in getting a job.

Yours free with every Notre Dame degree.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2011, 09:30:01 PM »

If you live in the Midwest.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2011, 09:48:50 AM »

Such an overrated school.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2011, 10:27:12 AM »
I guess you aren't familiar with hou much nurses get paid these days.

Ditto that.  MU is among the top Nursing schools out there.

And to answer the overall question, I'd do it over again in a heartbeat.  MU absolutely shaped my life.  For me, the calculation is so much more than weather, tuition comparsions, or how hot the girls were.  Its been nearly 30 years since I left campus.  Only wish I could do it over again.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2011, 01:26:46 PM »
Looking back, I guess I would have wanted to be at Arkansas, Kentucky, UCLA (blech), or Arizona as they all won the NCAA title during my years at MU. That would have been awesome...

That said, I didn't apply to any of those schools so it wouldn't have mattered.

Sports was a huge factor for me. Running down Wisconsin Ave twice in my years at MU - one time with my brother who has visiting - were great memories for me as a sports fan and MU student.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2011, 01:34:30 PM »
If you live in the Midwest.

It carries weight nationally, still, especially among Catholics.  Easy to rip on them, but it's plenty powerful out here in California. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2011, 10:11:50 PM »
Easy to rip on them, but it's plenty powerful out here in California.  

Same can be said of gays.

I'd definitely attend Marquette again.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2011, 11:13:28 PM »
Same can be said of gays.

I'd definitely attend Marquette again.

It's funny your signature says different rules for me because if I had said what you just said, SoCal would have banned me (he has in the past for some quip of that nature involving that protected class).

Of course you would attend MU again, it's probably the best gig you had.   

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »

Sorry... what I meant to say was:

"Yours free with every Notre Dame eMBA degree."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2011, 05:51:20 PM »
Yes!

marquettewade3

• Walk-On
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2011, 06:42:26 PM »
Completely agree on the student loan thing.  Part of what I DIDN'T like about Marquette was having to take the core curriculum to be more "well rounded".  I'm sorry but I really don't use what I learned in Western Civilization my freshman year to perform the job I do now.  (I'm just using that as an example, I'm not knocking history.)  My point is if I could have just taken the classes in my major I could have finished in fewer years and owed less.

On a side note, if anyone has inside information on how to get rid of student loan debt, besides paying it in full, let me know. :)  I have heard even when you declare bankruptcy, student loan debt is one of the only things you absolutely cannot get rid of...sucks.

Right now, I would say no only due to financial obligations. Ask me again in 30 years, and I may have a different opinion. Don't get me wrong, I loved my time at Marquette and had the best time of life there, but I probably would have had just as much fun and life experiences at UW. UW is also a hell of a school academic-wise. So in hindsight, I would probably choose UW. I'm struggling with the $800 a month I pay in student loans and being a recent Comm major, the job market isn't very favorable.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2011, 07:04:35 PM »
Completely agree on the student loan thing.  Part of what I DIDN'T like about Marquette was having to take the core curriculum to be more "well rounded".  I'm sorry but I really don't use what I learned in Western Civilization my freshman year to perform the job I do now.  (I'm just using that as an example, I'm not knocking history.)  My point is if I could have just taken the classes in my major I could have finished in fewer years and owed less.

On a side note, if anyone has inside information on how to get rid of student loan debt, besides paying it in full, let me know. :)  I have heard even when you declare bankruptcy, student loan debt is one of the only things you absolutely cannot get rid of...sucks.

take out a bunch of credit cards, and pay off the loans using them.

then declare bankruptcy.

*laughs maniacally*

marquettewade3

• Walk-On
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2011, 07:52:55 PM »
Lol.  It would work if they allowed loans to be paid with credit cards.  :P

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2011, 07:59:42 PM »
Completely agree on the student loan thing.  Part of what I DIDN'T like about Marquette was having to take the core curriculum to be more "well rounded".  I'm sorry but I really don't use what I learned in Western Civilization my freshman year to perform the job I do now.  (I'm just using that as an example, I'm not knocking history.)  My point is if I could have just taken the classes in my major I could have finished in fewer years and owed less.

College should be more than a job training exercise....  Cura Personalis and all that.

Furthermore, there are many cheaper options than MU you could have chosen that would have gotten you just as good a job training education.  Why didn't you choose them?

marquettewade3

• Walk-On
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2011, 08:23:35 PM »
At the time I was choosing a college, I didn't truly understand there were schools that did or did not have a core curriculum.  Knowing what I know now, from a financial and efficiency standpoint, I would have chosen differently.  That said, like most other people here, I loved my college years.  What really did me in was the graduate school!

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2011, 09:27:21 AM »

So you're saying your research was faulty?  Marquette could have helped you with that.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2011, 09:30:24 AM »
Lol.  It would work if they allowed loans to be paid with credit cards.  :P

Fair enough, tie those credit cards to a bank account.  Use said credit cards for a cash advance.  Pay off loans.  Declare bankruptcy for outstanding credit card debt.  VICTORY!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2011, 02:28:20 PM »
Would love to say yes, but at these tuition levels no way. My oldest son went to MU for first two years and then transferred to UW against his wishes. All said and done UW saved me roughly $50K. In perfect world my two youngest end up at MU..but, it will be tough.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2011, 03:51:32 PM »
Lol.  It would work if they allowed loans to be paid with credit cards.  :P

Just use those "balance transfer" checks they send every once in a while.  ;D

I actually thought long and hard about this many years back... I had a Citi card with a "soft" limit of $5,000 after college, i.e. I could charge over my credit limit so long as I brought the balance under the $5,000 before the next statement.  I thought about running up the CC bill paying off my student loans (edited) and going the BK route, but decided that I didn't want to screw up my credit for 7 years in case I wanted to buy a house in a year or two... plus I figured that somehow, I'd lose out on my BK case because it would be obvious that I skirted the rules.  So I kept my good credit score & 10 years later, I bought my first house.

If I had known then what I know now - a) the BK rules, how it really affects you, how to work it*, Peter Francis Geracy's office number, etc. b) that I wouldn't "need" my credit for 10 years, & c) how much Citibank truly sucks cornhole - I probably would have done it.

*From my experience as a creditor, not a debtor.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:19:57 PM by Benny B »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2011, 04:53:09 PM »
Just use those "balance transfer" checks they send every once in a while.  ;D

I actually thought long and hard about this many years back... I had a Citi card with a "soft" limit of $5,000 after college, i.e. I could charge over my credit limit so long as I brought the balance under the $5,000 before the next statement.  I thought about running up the CC bill paying off my student loans (edited) and going the BK route, but decided that I didn't want to screw up my credit for 7 years in case I wanted to buy a house in a year or two... plus I figured that somehow, I'd lose out on my BK case because it would be obvious that I skirted the rules.  So I kept my good credit score & 10 years later, I bought my first house.

If I had known then what I know now - a) the BK rules, how it really affects you, how to work it*, Peter Francis Geracy's office number, etc. b) that I wouldn't "need" my credit for 10 years, & c) how much Citibank truly sucks cornhole - I probably would have done it.

*From my experience as a creditor, not a debtor.

Peter Francis Geracy.  Is there anything he doesn't know?  /Homer Simpson.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2011, 05:07:45 PM »
I hope you guys are not the weasels you appear to be.  You're kidding, right? 

Conning your way out of legit debt is wussy.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2011, 09:44:41 PM »
Pull back, please, from the internet/layman schemes to avoid student loan repayment with credit card/credit line cash advances.

The current Bankruptcy Code was amended, during the Bush years, with heavy sponsorship of the Republicans/credit card companies, and over the objections of consumer advocate folks like Harvard Professor Elizabeth Warren, currently the  Assistant to the President and Special Advisor to the Secretary of the Treasury on the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.( also, my favorite law school professor-lol).

Ponder this....do you think the credit card companies  actually left a hole in the Code's dischargeability sections to allow your simple "scheme"?...Of course not.

In the new Code:
1-
Most people cant file for Chapter 7, ...if you have a higher than poverty level job...you earn too much, and must file Chapter 13 to payout your debts over time--- there is no more filing, and ...poof, the debts are gone.
2-
Even assuming you squeeze into a Chapter 7 filing, which discharges debt,...11 USC Section 523 provides, as you note, for the non discharge of student loan debt, and (under (a)(2))...the non discharge of most cash advance debt, including a statutory presumption that cash advance amounts over $825, are non dischargeable.
3-
Being sued for and having the cash advance debt or student loan debt declared not discharged under Section 523..(as is very, very, likely)...puts you in a lifetime credit hole with the very purpose of your filing (purging the debts) having been defeated. Effectively, you'll still owe the debt, (likely with atty fees added on)...and your credit was imploded by your own BR silver bullet. DUMB idea.

Its more productive to give up on the scheming, and to Work on ways to pay the debt, or to meet with the lender to workout different pay terms...there isnt a scheme out there allowing you to job the system for a free education.

Some would say its an ironic misuse of your education to try to think of ways to renege on the promises/contracts you made...to get the education, in the first place. Others call it fraud, and not dischargeable in BR. I dont join these, as its just useless bar talk...which I enjoy just fine,  but I'd leave it at the bar, and wouldnt stake my future on it. lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

marquettewade3

• Walk-On
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2011, 10:31:17 PM »
So you're saying your research was faulty?  Marquette could have helped you with that.

In hindsight, yes, I should have researched more, and I ignorantly assumed all colleges required you to take core curriculum.  I went to Marquette primarily because they had a good PA program and it was relatively close to home.  Also in hindsight, I believe having to take those core requirements was useless. You can pawn it off as "Cura Personalis" or whatever but I think that's a clever facade and a fallacy to make universities in general, not just Marquette, more money.  

Marquette's a good school but I believe you can get as good an education, for less money, elsewhere.  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:42:03 PM by marquettewade3 »

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2011, 11:32:18 AM »
Pull back, please, from the internet/layman schemes to avoid student loan repayment with credit card/credit line cash advances.

The current Bankruptcy Code was amended, during the Bush years, with heavy sponsorship of the Republicans/credit card companies, and over the objections of consumer advocate folks like Harvard Professor Elizabeth Warren, currently the  Assistant to the President and Special Advisor to the Secretary of the Treasury on the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.( also, my favorite law school professor-lol).

Certainly a big government whore like George Bush (who doubled government spending over eight years, as opposed to Clinton who was about even after eight years) was bad on student loans.

But if you're interested in how both parties have made the situation worse, here's a detailed history of how we got to this point:

http://www.collegescholarships.org/research/student-loans/

Your girl Elizabeth Warren even makes an appearance.