Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 16, 2024, 07:21:10 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by MU82
[June 16, 2024, 06:39:26 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Herman Cain
[June 16, 2024, 06:05:09 PM]

NBA green room by Skatastrophy
[June 16, 2024, 03:09:36 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[June 16, 2024, 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What are chances of getting another player added to 2011 roster?  (Read 5623 times)

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
Now that we are past, what I believe, are all the signing periods for 2011 players, can we even add anyone else besides walk-ons?  What about JUCO?  Curious if someone can update me on the possibilities since it seems like this year's roster is a bit short....

GGGG

• All American
Re: What are chances of getting another player added to 2011 roster?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 02:05:28 PM »
We can add scholarship players but they do not sign an NLI at this point.  They would simply enroll.  My guess is that if we hear something, it would have to be soon since the next summer session starts July 5 and you want them on campus this summer.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 02:38:19 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 03:00:57 PM »
We can add scholarship players but they do not sign an NLI at this point.  They would simply enroll.  My guess is that if we hear something, it would have to be soon since the next summer session starts July 5 and you want them on campus this summer.

They wouldn't simply enroll, they'd sign financial aid / scholarship papers, just as they do when they (or within a number of days of) sign an NLI.  Tons of kids play for schools despite never signing an NLI with that school.  We could add someone in August.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 09:44:40 PM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 03:17:18 PM »
Any idea who it would be?  Keith Coleman? Dre Henley? Any good transfers that still haven't found a home?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 03:20:59 PM »
Andre Walker, formerly of Vandy. Has graduated but has a year of eligibility left. Would be eligible immediately. Perfect scenario. Adds some size and experience to the front line, and allows MU to still have both schollies for 2012.

Oh, did i mention he is visiting MU soon??  ;)
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
Any idea why he would leave and not just play at Vandy?

National Champs

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 03:35:25 PM »

Sick of the baseline benches
We Are Elite

muguru

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 03:40:34 PM »

He graduated. Used up his eligibility with Vandy. But has one year to play somewhere else.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 03:50:36 PM »
He graduated. Used up his eligibility with Vandy. But has one year to play somewhere else.
Nope.  He has one year of eligibility whether at Vandy or anywhere else.  Looking for more PT than he might get at Vandy.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »
Oh gotcha.  that makes sense.  I wasn't thinking.  
Nice one Champs!  Stupidest thing outside of the benches off the sideline cliff like Minnesota.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 03:52:17 PM »
Oh see that makes more sense to me.  Like, why would have to go somewhere else in D1, right?  He doesn't seem like that great of a player, but maybe he could fill the Fulce role.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 03:59:21 PM »
Seems now we are just looking for someone to fill the role if a disaster happens.   Need practice players, someone who can give minutes if injuries take a toll.  Be great if our incoming class was like the 3 Amigos who were thrown right into the BEAST fire and emerged unburnt.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 05:27:22 PM »
He hit the game winning shot against us this year...We play them again this year correct? Wouldn't be a bad get IMO

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 09:44:19 PM »
He hit the game winning shot against us this year...We play them again this year correct? Wouldn't be a bad get IMO

Vandy would be asked to OK the transfer.  They could be d***s about him trying to enroll at Marquette, if they wanted to.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 10:04:57 PM »
Vanderbilt is supportive of Andre.  Walker has had some tough challenges in college.  His mom died after two lung transplants, and Walker also tore and ACL.  Good kid, good family, well liked.  Walker is a jack of all trades, "glue" guy.  He often times brought the ball up at 6'7, when needed under pressure.  Good passer, good rebounder, mid-range game.  Good team player.  Does the little things.  He is not a low post banger type of player.  Marquette would be lucky to have him.  Buzz and Stallings are chummy.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 05:49:29 AM »
Vanderbilt is supportive of Andre.  Walker has had some tough challenges in college.  His mom died after two lung transplants, and Walker also tore and ACL.  Good kid, good family, well liked.  Walker is a jack of all trades, "glue" guy.  He often times brought the ball up at 6'7, when needed under pressure.  Good passer, good rebounder, mid-range game.  Good team player.  Does the little things.  He is not a low post banger type of player.  Marquette would be lucky to have him.  Buzz and Stallings are chummy.

Thanks for the input.  While maybe not a huge advantage or decision item, it can't hurt MU being somewhat close to his family home in the southern suburbs of Chicago.

This would be a no-brainer kind of addition for a program like Marquette.  MU would get an experienced player who's been at a strong academic school with a strong basketball program and the Vanderbilt program has been in the NCAA tournament like Marquette.  Like the poster said, he would be able to come in and contribute right off the bat and that would allow Juan Anderson and Jamail Jones to continue to develop with added depth on the frontline.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
Vandy would be asked to OK the transfer.  They could be d***s about him trying to enroll at Marquette, if they wanted to.

Are you sure about that?  I thought if a player had one year remaining and transferred into a graduate program, that the undergrad school couldn't prevent him from leaving.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 07:59:33 AM »
Thanks for the input.  While maybe not a huge advantage or decision item, it can't hurt MU being somewhat close to his family home in the southern suburbs of Chicago.

This would be a no-brainer kind of addition for a program like Marquette.  MU would get an experienced player who's been at a strong academic school with a strong basketball program and the Vanderbilt program has been in the NCAA tournament like Marquette.  Like the poster said, he would be able to come in and contribute right off the bat and that would allow Juan Anderson and Jamail Jones to continue to develop with added depth on the frontline.

Plus, the scholarship is available for 2012.  This would be the ideal scenario for me.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 08:16:44 AM »
I believe Walker is looking at Xavier, Wichita State and MU.  Depends what his objectives are as to which school he'd want to attend.  Wichita in all likelihood offers him the best chance to showcase his game and get big minutes.  Xavier offers him more exposure than Wichita, and probably a lot of PT as well.

MU offers him far and away his best chance at playing for a winning team, in a premier conference, that should be a lock for the NCAA, that will be on TV a lot more than XU and Wichita - but....the minutes will be harder to come by at MU.

I do agree that Walker would be the PERFECT recruit for MU - get help this year - yet still have 2 open for 2012.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 08:25:35 AM »
I agree on Walker.  If he came here, he would be the primary back up at both forward positions IMO and might even exceed the 17 mpg that he got at Vandy last year.  Because right now our back ups are either small or inexperienced.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 04:08:42 PM »
We've seen roster movement under Buzz in nearly every month of the summer in previous years. No reason to think 2011 will be quiet.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 09:07:05 PM »
just really doesnt sound like there's any downside to picking up Walker for a year. solid, you know what you're getting, and he takes away zero scholarships you werent just going to swallow anyway. whats not to like?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 11:20:15 PM »
Are you sure about that?  I thought if a player had one year remaining and transferred into a graduate program, that the undergrad school couldn't prevent him from leaving.

My understanding is that they could object.  14.1.9.1 [Graduate Student/Postbaccalaureate Participation > One-Time Transfer Exception] says to look to 14.5.5.2.10.

Per 14.5.5.2.10 (d):
If the student is transferring from a NCAA or NAIA member institution, the student's previous institution shall certify in writing that it has no objection to the student's being granted an exception to the transfer-residence requirement. If the student's previous institution denies his or her request for the release, the institution shall inform the student-athlete in writing that he or she, upon request, shall be provided a hearing conducted by an institutional
entity or committee outside of the athletics department (e.g., the office of student affairs; office of the dean of students; or a committee composed of the faculty athletics representative, student-athletes and nonathletics faculty/staff members). The institution shall have established reasonable procedures for promptly hearing such a request.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 06:43:16 AM »
My understanding is that they could object.  14.1.9.1 [Graduate Student/Postbaccalaureate Participation > One-Time Transfer Exception] says to look to 14.5.5.2.10.

Per 14.5.5.2.10 (d):
If the student is transferring from a NCAA or NAIA member institution, the student's previous institution shall certify in writing that it has no objection to the student's being granted an exception to the transfer-residence requirement. If the student's previous institution denies his or her request for the release, the institution shall inform the student-athlete in writing that he or she, upon request, shall be provided a hearing conducted by an institutional
entity or committee outside of the athletics department (e.g., the office of student affairs; office of the dean of students; or a committee composed of the faculty athletics representative, student-athletes and nonathletics faculty/staff members). The institution shall have established reasonable procedures for promptly hearing such a request.
I think they cannot prevent him from transferring. However, it is my understanding to be able to transfer without sitting out a year they have to transfer to go to a school that offers a graduate program that is not offerred by their current school. Perhaps, the objection part is allowing the current school to police that part of it. I would think the amount of graduate programs Marquette has versus what Vanderbilt has would be very limited, if any. Is there still a rule about taking a grad class that is not offered by your current school?

feedback