'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: ‘You really went to Marquette?’  (Read 13868 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
‘You really went to Marquette?’
« on: June 12, 2011, 09:42:15 PM »
I was at a store 1,042 miles from Milwaukee today and got to talking with one of the store’s employees, a nice guy who looked to be in his late teens.

As we chatted, I mentioned my having gone to Marquette.

“You went to Marquette?” he said, his voice taking on greatly increased enthusiasm. “Wow! Really? You really went to Marquette? That is awesome, that is so awesome.”

I am not sure what prompted this reaction, but it felt kinda nice to have a pleasant, bright young guy 1,042 miles from Milwaukee react in such a way to the ol’ alma mater.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
Re: ‘You really went to Marquette?’
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 10:14:19 PM »
Nice.  Was he a college basketball fan?

Here in the DC area, people only really know of Marquette if:

1)  They're from the Midwest,
2)  They're Big East basketball fans, or
3)  They're in the military, especially the Navy.

I work at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, and of all the Navy ROTC programs (radome can correct me if I'm wrong, and this does not include direct accession nurses or nurse candidates), Marquette produces the most Navy Nurses in the nation. 

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:15:03 PM »
he obviously likes Wade

mug644

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 11:21:01 PM »
Here's another, similar story. I'm living about 7700 miles from Milwaukee, in Kampala, Uganda.

I was leading a training workshop a couple of weeks ago, when one of the participants walks in wearing a Marquette t-shirt! Turns out that he had a short-term study grant to a program through the Les Aspin Center and he spent about 3 weeks in DC and on campus. I was shocked and thrilled to meet him.

I meant to take a photo and post it, but it just didn't happen.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 06:52:17 AM »
I once had a guy email me back after applying for a job, telling me that he was excited to see an applicant from Marquette as he was from Al McGuire's hometown on Long Island. I think the job was in NYC.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 09:29:23 AM »
About 15 years ago I was in a show factory in China and worker had 1977 MU tshirt on. It was the tshirt that was a drawing of the team and Al holding an MU banner.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 10:55:04 AM »
My first job in the Medical field was because the hiring manager saw Marquette on my resume and asked to interview me. He claimed that was what interested him most and he was a SUNY grad.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:10:06 AM »
Nice.  Was he a college basketball fan?

Here in the DC area, people only really know of Marquette if:

1)  They're from the Midwest,
2)  They're Big East basketball fans, or
3)  They're in the military, especially the Navy.

I work at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, and of all the Navy ROTC programs (radome can correct me if I'm wrong, and this does not include direct accession nurses or nurse candidates), Marquette produces the most Navy Nurses in the nation. 
RJ, Villanova edged out Marquette this year.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »
Back in 2003 during my first tour in Iraq I show up in some remote base and meet some of my commanders.  Our battalion commander (most senior officer on the post) starts talking to me and asking who I am and where I'm from.  Turns out he also graduated from Marquette University back in 1954.  Of all places to bump into a fellow alum...not sure how many miles Samarra, Iraq is from Milwaukee though.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 11:34:05 AM »
I was walking in the Concord Mills Shopping Mall in North Carolina and saw a grade school kid with a No.  "3" Marquette jersey on.  I thought that was pretty cool considering being in the heart of ACC country.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »
I was stopped at two different points while running through St. James Park in front of Buckingham Palace in London with my Marquette shirt on. The two people were MU alums who couldn't believe they saw a Marquette shirt in London and just wanted to shake my hand and say Go Marquette.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 02:28:12 PM »
I often wear MU shirts on vacation. Although, not as often as it use to be, a lot of people have comment on that they use to follow MU when McGuire was the coach. A high number of people believe MU is in Marquette Michigan and are surpised when I tell them it is in Milwaukee, WI
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:55:58 PM by bilsu »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 02:40:45 PM »
I moved from Wisconsin for about 15 years or so.  I lived  in the Southeast, East Coast, Midlands and Midwest.  Everytime I would go out and saw someone wearing MU or Packer clothing, I would comment and give them a high 5. 

That became weird, though, after I moved back to Wisconsin.  ... let's just say that old habbits die hard ...  The looks I received from some of the peole wearing these clothes as I yelled "go Marquette" or "go Pack" ...  not quite the same as in other parts of the US.    ;)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 02:59:17 PM »
You also get a weird look, if you tell a person wearing a Packer jacket he is out of style. It does not help when you tell him it is baseball season.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 05:24:24 PM »
Yes, there are a lot of lonely people in the world.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

MookieBlaylock

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 07:37:24 PM »
Was in a resale shop in Brooklyn last week and saw this gem on the wall.  Asked the owner if he could take it down for me to buy and he said he couldn't because it belonged in his personal collection.

http://imm.io/6qDc

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
You win, muarmy81
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 07:38:45 PM »
Back in 2003 during my first tour in Iraq I show up in some remote base and meet some of my commanders.  Our battalion commander (most senior officer on the post) starts talking to me and asking who I am and where I'm from.  Turns out he also graduated from Marquette University back in 1954.  Of all places to bump into a fellow alum...not sure how many miles Samarra, Iraq is from Milwaukee though.

I was only 1,042 miles from Milwaukee when I met up with a young man who thought it pretty cool that I attended Marquette University.

When in Samarra, Iraq, you were about 6,500 miles from the MU campus.

That said, I did meet a Marquette grad and a Marquette Law grad on a Caribbean island that, according to my flight itinerary, is 1,881 miles from my home.

Yes, 1,881.

Those in the know will recognize the significance of 1881 in MU history.

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 08:21:57 PM »
I often wear MU shirts on vacation. Although, not as often as it use to be, a lot of people have comment on that they use to follow MU when McGuire was the coach. A high number of people believe MU is in Marquette Michigan and are surpised when I tell them it is in Milwaukee, WI

I oftentimes double up my MU gear...just in case  ;D It's crazy how many people are somehow connected to Marquette throughout the world. If there was a rankings for alumni, I'm pretty sure Marquette would be in the top 25 each year...if not top 10.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:23:37 PM by kryza »

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
At first I did not understand your post, kryza
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
I oftentimes double up my MU gear...just in case  ;D It's crazy how many people are somehow connected to Marquette throughout the world. If there was a rankings for alumni, I'm pretty sure Marquette would be in the top 25 each year...if not top 10.

Then I looked at the accompanying photograph and saw something terrific.

I am still not sure what you meant when you wrote: “It’s crazy how many people are somehow connected to Marquette throughout the world. If there was a rankings for alumni, I’m pretty sure Marquette would be in the top 25 each year … if not top 10.”

A ranking of what?

Whatever. …

Please explain the photograph.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:09:37 PM by MU Avenue »

kryza

• Team Captain
Re: At first I did not understand your post, kryza
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 09:46:28 PM »
Then I looked at the accompanying photograph and saw something terrific.

I am still not sure what you meant when you wrote: “It’s crazy how many people are somehow connected to Marquette throughout the world. If there was a rankings for alumni, I’m pretty sure Marquette would be in the top 25 each year … if not top 10.”

A ranking of what?

Whatever. …

Please explain the photograph.

Oops, I think I deleted the explanation when I edited the post. On this trip to Mali I met two separate groups of people with Marq connections. The brother of one guy (in the pic) went to Marquette and he played for the Virginia Cavaliers and he raved about MU. I also met a peace corp volunteer in Severe, Mali about a week later that graduated from MU like a year after me.

I was joking that there should be a ranking of the top 25 alumni bases, because it seems that MU alums are a lot more vocal and supportive as alumni in general. When I wear stuff from other larger schools, particularly Illinois (half of my family went there) and DePaul (grad school), I hardly get stopped.

LA

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 10:01:31 PM »
I currently live in China and was walking with my wife (also MU grad) wearing an MU t-shirt when a Chinese guy stopped us on the street and asked if we went to Marquette.

He got really excited and said "Me too, class of 85. Go Warriors!" Big high fives and smiles then he explained that he picked Marquette because he thought Wisconsin sounded cool. haha.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 10:12:20 PM »
I currently live in China and was walking with my wife (also MU grad) wearing an MU t-shirt when a Chinese guy stopped us on the street and asked if we went to Marquette.

He got really excited and said "Me too, class of 85. Go Warriors!" Big high fives and smiles then he explained that he picked Marquette because he thought Wisconsin sounded cool. haha.

Judging by some of the pictures I've seen, Wisconsin was quite the happening place back in the early 80's.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 10:46:39 PM »
Spring Break my senior year at Marquette a group of us went down to Puerto Vallerta. It just happened to be that our first round game against Kentucky ('08) was the Saturday before we left. Our group found a sports bar playing the game downtown all decked in gold. About 10 minutes after sitting down we saw an MU alum walk in who was elated to see a Marquette contingent down in Mexico.

Turns out that alum was the owner of Funjet vacations, and he proceeded to buy food and drinks for our group of 13, covering the tab for the entire game.

This is one of my favorite Marquette moments, and just reinforced how special Marquette truly is. I can not wait until I have the chance to do the same for a Marquette student at some point in the future.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 10:55:21 PM »
My students who follow the NBA ask me if I went to Marquette, although my pennant, banner, and various posters and pictures show the Blue and Gold in all its glory.

Invariably, the next question is - mind you, they're elementary school students - "Did you play with Dwyane Wade?"

Of course, I have to be honest.

It's funny because to them, I'm 65 (I'm in my mid 30's). Some kids have noooooooooooooo clue. ;)
SS Marquette

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 01:04:28 AM »

Army, I did two deployments to Al Asad (plus 4 to Afghanistan.) My Wing was tied to III Corps out of Hood so we were in Iraq in 04 and 07 - the latter for the Surge. Ever work with Warthogs?

feedback