[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ‘You really went to Marquette?’  (Read 13961 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
‘You really went to Marquette?’
« on: June 12, 2011, 09:42:15 PM »
I was at a store 1,042 miles from Milwaukee today and got to talking with one of the store’s employees, a nice guy who looked to be in his late teens.

As we chatted, I mentioned my having gone to Marquette.

“You went to Marquette?” he said, his voice taking on greatly increased enthusiasm. “Wow! Really? You really went to Marquette? That is awesome, that is so awesome.”

I am not sure what prompted this reaction, but it felt kinda nice to have a pleasant, bright young guy 1,042 miles from Milwaukee react in such a way to the ol’ alma mater.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
Re: ‘You really went to Marquette?’
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 10:14:19 PM »
Nice.  Was he a college basketball fan?

Here in the DC area, people only really know of Marquette if:

1)  They're from the Midwest,
2)  They're Big East basketball fans, or
3)  They're in the military, especially the Navy.

I work at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, and of all the Navy ROTC programs (radome can correct me if I'm wrong, and this does not include direct accession nurses or nurse candidates), Marquette produces the most Navy Nurses in the nation. 

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:15:03 PM »
he obviously likes Wade

mug644

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 11:21:01 PM »
Here's another, similar story. I'm living about 7700 miles from Milwaukee, in Kampala, Uganda.

I was leading a training workshop a couple of weeks ago, when one of the participants walks in wearing a Marquette t-shirt! Turns out that he had a short-term study grant to a program through the Les Aspin Center and he spent about 3 weeks in DC and on campus. I was shocked and thrilled to meet him.

I meant to take a photo and post it, but it just didn't happen.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 06:52:17 AM »
I once had a guy email me back after applying for a job, telling me that he was excited to see an applicant from Marquette as he was from Al McGuire's hometown on Long Island. I think the job was in NYC.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 09:29:23 AM »
About 15 years ago I was in a show factory in China and worker had 1977 MU tshirt on. It was the tshirt that was a drawing of the team and Al holding an MU banner.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 10:55:04 AM »
My first job in the Medical field was because the hiring manager saw Marquette on my resume and asked to interview me. He claimed that was what interested him most and he was a SUNY grad.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:10:06 AM »
Nice.  Was he a college basketball fan?

Here in the DC area, people only really know of Marquette if:

1)  They're from the Midwest,
2)  They're Big East basketball fans, or
3)  They're in the military, especially the Navy.

I work at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, and of all the Navy ROTC programs (radome can correct me if I'm wrong, and this does not include direct accession nurses or nurse candidates), Marquette produces the most Navy Nurses in the nation. 
RJ, Villanova edged out Marquette this year.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »
Back in 2003 during my first tour in Iraq I show up in some remote base and meet some of my commanders.  Our battalion commander (most senior officer on the post) starts talking to me and asking who I am and where I'm from.  Turns out he also graduated from Marquette University back in 1954.  Of all places to bump into a fellow alum...not sure how many miles Samarra, Iraq is from Milwaukee though.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 11:34:05 AM »
I was walking in the Concord Mills Shopping Mall in North Carolina and saw a grade school kid with a No.  "3" Marquette jersey on.  I thought that was pretty cool considering being in the heart of ACC country.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »
I was stopped at two different points while running through St. James Park in front of Buckingham Palace in London with my Marquette shirt on. The two people were MU alums who couldn't believe they saw a Marquette shirt in London and just wanted to shake my hand and say Go Marquette.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 02:28:12 PM »
I often wear MU shirts on vacation. Although, not as often as it use to be, a lot of people have comment on that they use to follow MU when McGuire was the coach. A high number of people believe MU is in Marquette Michigan and are surpised when I tell them it is in Milwaukee, WI
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:55:58 PM by bilsu »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 02:40:45 PM »
I moved from Wisconsin for about 15 years or so.  I lived  in the Southeast, East Coast, Midlands and Midwest.  Everytime I would go out and saw someone wearing MU or Packer clothing, I would comment and give them a high 5. 

That became weird, though, after I moved back to Wisconsin.  ... let's just say that old habbits die hard ...  The looks I received from some of the peole wearing these clothes as I yelled "go Marquette" or "go Pack" ...  not quite the same as in other parts of the US.    ;)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 02:59:17 PM »
You also get a weird look, if you tell a person wearing a Packer jacket he is out of style. It does not help when you tell him it is baseball season.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 05:24:24 PM »
Yes, there are a lot of lonely people in the world.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

MookieBlaylock

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 07:37:24 PM »
Was in a resale shop in Brooklyn last week and saw this gem on the wall.  Asked the owner if he could take it down for me to buy and he said he couldn't because it belonged in his personal collection.

http://imm.io/6qDc

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
You win, muarmy81
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 07:38:45 PM »
Back in 2003 during my first tour in Iraq I show up in some remote base and meet some of my commanders.  Our battalion commander (most senior officer on the post) starts talking to me and asking who I am and where I'm from.  Turns out he also graduated from Marquette University back in 1954.  Of all places to bump into a fellow alum...not sure how many miles Samarra, Iraq is from Milwaukee though.

I was only 1,042 miles from Milwaukee when I met up with a young man who thought it pretty cool that I attended Marquette University.

When in Samarra, Iraq, you were about 6,500 miles from the MU campus.

That said, I did meet a Marquette grad and a Marquette Law grad on a Caribbean island that, according to my flight itinerary, is 1,881 miles from my home.

Yes, 1,881.

Those in the know will recognize the significance of 1881 in MU history.

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 08:21:57 PM »
I often wear MU shirts on vacation. Although, not as often as it use to be, a lot of people have comment on that they use to follow MU when McGuire was the coach. A high number of people believe MU is in Marquette Michigan and are surpised when I tell them it is in Milwaukee, WI

I oftentimes double up my MU gear...just in case  ;D It's crazy how many people are somehow connected to Marquette throughout the world. If there was a rankings for alumni, I'm pretty sure Marquette would be in the top 25 each year...if not top 10.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:23:37 PM by kryza »

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
At first I did not understand your post, kryza
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
I oftentimes double up my MU gear...just in case  ;D It's crazy how many people are somehow connected to Marquette throughout the world. If there was a rankings for alumni, I'm pretty sure Marquette would be in the top 25 each year...if not top 10.

Then I looked at the accompanying photograph and saw something terrific.

I am still not sure what you meant when you wrote: “It’s crazy how many people are somehow connected to Marquette throughout the world. If there was a rankings for alumni, I’m pretty sure Marquette would be in the top 25 each year … if not top 10.”

A ranking of what?

Whatever. …

Please explain the photograph.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:09:37 PM by MU Avenue »

kryza

• Team Captain
Re: At first I did not understand your post, kryza
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 09:46:28 PM »
Then I looked at the accompanying photograph and saw something terrific.

I am still not sure what you meant when you wrote: “It’s crazy how many people are somehow connected to Marquette throughout the world. If there was a rankings for alumni, I’m pretty sure Marquette would be in the top 25 each year … if not top 10.”

A ranking of what?

Whatever. …

Please explain the photograph.

Oops, I think I deleted the explanation when I edited the post. On this trip to Mali I met two separate groups of people with Marq connections. The brother of one guy (in the pic) went to Marquette and he played for the Virginia Cavaliers and he raved about MU. I also met a peace corp volunteer in Severe, Mali about a week later that graduated from MU like a year after me.

I was joking that there should be a ranking of the top 25 alumni bases, because it seems that MU alums are a lot more vocal and supportive as alumni in general. When I wear stuff from other larger schools, particularly Illinois (half of my family went there) and DePaul (grad school), I hardly get stopped.

LA

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 10:01:31 PM »
I currently live in China and was walking with my wife (also MU grad) wearing an MU t-shirt when a Chinese guy stopped us on the street and asked if we went to Marquette.

He got really excited and said "Me too, class of 85. Go Warriors!" Big high fives and smiles then he explained that he picked Marquette because he thought Wisconsin sounded cool. haha.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 10:12:20 PM »
I currently live in China and was walking with my wife (also MU grad) wearing an MU t-shirt when a Chinese guy stopped us on the street and asked if we went to Marquette.

He got really excited and said "Me too, class of 85. Go Warriors!" Big high fives and smiles then he explained that he picked Marquette because he thought Wisconsin sounded cool. haha.

Judging by some of the pictures I've seen, Wisconsin was quite the happening place back in the early 80's.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 10:46:39 PM »
Spring Break my senior year at Marquette a group of us went down to Puerto Vallerta. It just happened to be that our first round game against Kentucky ('08) was the Saturday before we left. Our group found a sports bar playing the game downtown all decked in gold. About 10 minutes after sitting down we saw an MU alum walk in who was elated to see a Marquette contingent down in Mexico.

Turns out that alum was the owner of Funjet vacations, and he proceeded to buy food and drinks for our group of 13, covering the tab for the entire game.

This is one of my favorite Marquette moments, and just reinforced how special Marquette truly is. I can not wait until I have the chance to do the same for a Marquette student at some point in the future.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 10:55:21 PM »
My students who follow the NBA ask me if I went to Marquette, although my pennant, banner, and various posters and pictures show the Blue and Gold in all its glory.

Invariably, the next question is - mind you, they're elementary school students - "Did you play with Dwyane Wade?"

Of course, I have to be honest.

It's funny because to them, I'm 65 (I'm in my mid 30's). Some kids have noooooooooooooo clue. ;)
SS Marquette

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 01:04:28 AM »

Army, I did two deployments to Al Asad (plus 4 to Afghanistan.) My Wing was tied to III Corps out of Hood so we were in Iraq in 04 and 07 - the latter for the Surge. Ever work with Warthogs?

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 07:31:13 AM »
Army, I did two deployments to Al Asad (plus 4 to Afghanistan.) My Wing was tied to III Corps out of Hood so we were in Iraq in 04 and 07 - the latter for the Surge. Ever work with Warthogs?

Yep. My first tour in iraq was with 4ID, DIVARTY, which is part of III Corps.  (First duty station was Ft. Hood)  Second tour was as part of a MTT team supporting the training of an Iraqi logistical regiment and we did a lot of re-supply missions out to Al Asad from 2005-2006 but we were based out of Taji.

I was an FSO and even though I was usually directing canon and missile fire we always enjoyed CAS, especially from an A-10. (I think it's because of the 105 mm cannon you guys bring to the fight  ;) )

Goose

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 07:44:36 AM »
LA---Where do you live in China? My office is in Guangzhou.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 10:01:07 AM »
Yep. My first tour in iraq was with 4ID, DIVARTY, which is part of III Corps.  (First duty station was Ft. Hood)  Second tour was as part of a MTT team supporting the training of an Iraqi logistical regiment and we did a lot of re-supply missions out to Al Asad from 2005-2006 but we were based out of Taji.

I was an FSO and even though I was usually directing canon and missile fire we always enjoyed CAS, especially from an A-10. (I think it's because of the 105 mm cannon you guys bring to the fight  ;) )

We were integrated into the Fire & Effects Cell at The Palace so we worked closely and well with you Red Legs. We also had Warthog Drivers embedded as Bobs in the Fob so we could get up close and personal at the Battalion-level mo skosh. The Gau is actually a 30mm weapon but, as Ahbdul found out, we are the Ultimate Killing Machine.

I miss steak and eggs at the DFAC with the bros after a long night of schwacking Taliban.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 10:15:21 AM »
Anybody read "The Horse Soldiers"

One of first embeds into afghanistan was a MU grad

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 10:19:01 AM »
Anybody read "The Horse Soldiers"

One of first embeds into afghanistan was a MU grad

Great read. 
Ludum habemus.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 10:23:59 AM »
I routinely say "Go Marquette" to anyone wearing MU stuff, whether I'm in the grocery store or on vacation.

I was in Rome (Wisconsin) a few years back and a couple approached me .. turns out, his dad was a radio broadcaster (announcer?) and had dozens of audio tapes of him and Al.     

I gave them my info, hoping that they could get the tapes to me, and I'd digitize them and get them on the wiki or something.    Unfortunately, they never contacted me.  Sad those tapes will just sit in someone's basement.

garekis

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 11:23:03 AM »
I routinely say "Go Marquette" to anyone wearing MU stuff, whether I'm in the grocery store or on vacation.

I do the same thing.  Five or so years ago, I was in Destin, FL with my family for Spring Break and within minutes of arriving at the beach on the first day, I saw a guy and his son wearing Marquette Ts.  Excited to see a fellow alum in FL, I walked up and introduced myself.  While he was very friendly, he did explain to me that roughly half the State of Wisconsin travels to the FL Panhandle for Spring Break.  He must have been right - I saw more Marquette gear that week than I had in the 15 years since graduating.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 11:43:58 AM »
We were integrated into the Fire & Effects Cell at The Palace so we worked closely and well with you Red Legs. We also had Warthog Drivers embedded as Bobs in the Fob so we could get up close and personal at the Battalion-level mo skosh. The Gau is actually a 30mm weapon but, as Ahbdul found out, we are the Ultimate Killing Machine.

I miss steak and eggs at the DFAC with the bros after a long night of schwacking Taliban.

Yep.  Steak and eggs was every Sunday out at Samarra East Airfield...no DFAC (They were T-rations) but plenty of pistol pete hot sauce. 

My mistake on the A-10, I was thinking of the AC 130...scary sight to see as an enemy, a C-130 circling around a target and letting loose artillery rounds from the sky.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 12:04:03 PM »
If I ever see people wearing MU gear or have decals on their car relating to MU, I immediately think they are my best friend.  My fiancé thinks I'm crazy.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 12:09:04 PM »

C'mon, you guys are just making up that lingo to make us non-military feel like idiots right?  I feel like the first time I tried to watch guys at work play Sheepshead (having grown up in Illinois).  18 years later and I still swear they were just making up words on the fly.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 12:22:34 PM »
If I ever see people wearing MU gear or have decals on their car relating to MU, I immediately think they are my best friend.  My fiancé thinks I'm crazy.

Hello, fitness friend.

LA

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2011, 09:29:55 PM »
LA---Where do you live in China? My office is in Guangzhou.

I'm actually in Shenzhen...we're practically neighbors. How are those riots treating you?

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2011, 01:46:37 AM »
This thread is a joke

LA

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2011, 05:22:28 AM »
This thread is a joke

No recruiting news, no open gyms or individual workouts, no summer league, it is the middle of june.....what do you expect?

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Thanks for your ‘input,’ Rockmic87
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2011, 06:05:02 AM »
This thread is a joke

I am guessing Rockmic87 goes through life dismissing almost everything as a “joke” or as “bullsh**.”

Like him, many of us were excessively critical, dismissive or sarcastic earlier in our lives. Then we grew up.

I like this thread. I would like to read more here about how people have responded to our being connected to Marquette. Your having worn a Marquette T-shirt, sweatshirt or hat has led to what -- and where?

I find that reaction to Marquette along the Eastern Seaboard is enthusiastic. Many people in the Atlantic states and in Washington, DC, have much good to say about ol’ MU.

I have found this to be the case in Chicago, Minneapolis and Detroit, too. And at a meeting a couple of years back at The University of Texas at Austin, a group of professors and graduate students noted that I was wearing a Marquette polo shirt and that group was rather generous when declaring admiration for MU.

I still have trouble getting a read on how Milwaukee and Wisconsin view Marquette.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:40:48 AM by MU Avenue »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2011, 07:36:41 AM »
This thread is a joke

Looking through your 'recent' posts, I have noticed that you really never bring anything to any conversation.  Probably because you are just a troll.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2011, 07:43:18 AM »
LA---Am currently in Milwaukee. Travel to China approx 4-6 weeks and often in Guangzhou and Shenzhen. Next time I will wear my Warrior short so you know it is me:) Class of '85 here.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2011, 07:52:06 AM »
I'm actually in Shenzhen...we're practically neighbors. How are those riots treating you?

My daughter just landed in China with some classmates from her High School.  You may see a few more MU T-shirts over the next 10 days ...   ;)

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2011, 07:42:53 PM »
Yep.  Steak and eggs was every Sunday out at Samarra East Airfield...no DFAC (They were T-rations) but plenty of pistol pete hot sauce. My mistake on the A-10, I was thinking of the AC 130...scary sight to see as an enemy, a C-130 circling around a target and letting loose artillery rounds from the sky.

Puff the Magic Dragon is flown by AFSOC and definitely puts the wood to the bad guys. It is an awesome display of shock, awe, reverance, fire and brimstone rolled into one pudgy package. Problem with the Fat Albert is its lack of speed and precision. The AC 130 is therefore a mission dedicated asset.

The role of the A-10 is rapid reaction to provide precision Close Air Support for our ground troops engaged in mortal combat. We have had many a soldier and Marine tell us nothing looked more beautiful than a Hawg coming in at the speed of heat 40 feet off the deck spitting enriched uranium rounds into towel headed, pork averse jihadis. We often put ordnance 30 feet from our guys with devastating effect. In addition to the GAU we carry a suite of iron that has given a lot of insurgents the opportunity to meet Mr Allah. The A-10 Thunderbolt II - when it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight.

Roger the importance of Pistol Pete. As a spoiled, silver spooned Air Force flier, however, I insist on Avery Island's finest. Your typical Warthog Driver never leaves home plate without a mini bottle of Tabasco in his flight suit. Surviving in the bush on snake, rat and camel is a whole lot easier with a dash of Tabasco!

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2011, 07:48:55 PM »
Yep. My first tour in iraq was with 4ID, DIVARTY, which is part of III Corps.  (First duty station was Ft. Hood)  Second tour was as part of a MTT team supporting the training of an Iraqi logistical regiment and we did a lot of re-supply missions out to Al Asad from 2005-2006 but we were based out of Taji.

I was an FSO and even though I was usually directing canon and missile fire we always enjoyed CAS, especially from an A-10. (I think it's because of the 105 mm cannon you guys bring to the fight  ;) )

By the way, Thanks for serving, Bro. It's an honor to know another MU grad with blisters on his ass and sand in his boots. Keep the Faith and Aim High.

Col Crash, USAF
Bronze Star, Air Medal with Combat V, OIF, OEF, Desert Storm
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:53:44 PM by warthog-driver »

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2011, 05:18:56 PM »
This is a really cool topic.

My wife goes crazy when I see a car with a Marquette window sticker or license plate frame and then follow that car for several blocks waving and honking. Or, I'll chase somebody down a shopping center mall, get into a five-minute conversation, and miss the start of the movie.

It's a relief to visit Milwaukee. I feel liberated from the need to do that.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2011, 02:28:23 AM »
As a side note, I'm a NorCal dude and whenever I see a Wisconsin plate, I speed up, and slow down in front of them so they can recognize the Marquette Alumni license plate frame on my car.

I do that just hoping they'd reciprocate. So far, of the four people I 've done it to, no one has honked back in recognition - of the plate frame, not the slowing down in front of them.
SS Marquette

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2011, 03:19:08 AM »
As a side note, I'm a NorCal dude and whenever I see a Wisconsin plate, I speed up, and slow down in front of them so they can recognize the Marquette Alumni license plate frame on my car.

I do that just hoping they'd reciprocate. So far, of the four people I 've done it to, no one has honked back in recognition - of the plate frame, not the slowing down in front of them.

Hahaha...I do the exact same thing!  I'm in the DC area though...one time I saw what must have been one of Wisconsin's team buses with the big "W" and the Badger painted on it...not sure what team though, didn't get a good look of who was inside.

I sped up and switched lanes so that I was in front of them...slowed down...and as they switched lanes to pass me up, I sped off again.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2011, 09:04:05 AM »
Looking through your 'recent' posts, I have noticed that you really never bring anything to any conversation.  Probably because you are just a troll.

I haven't posted on this site in a while, so I don't know what you mean by "recent posts". Clever though...  ::)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »
I haven't posted on this site in a while, so I don't know what you mean by "recent posts". Clever though...  ::)

Not just clever.  True.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=profile;u=537;sa=showPosts

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2011, 11:13:17 AM »

Recent posts, last posts, tomato, tomahto.  Geez... if you weren't such a troll, you would have known what Hards meant.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2011, 11:35:36 AM »
By the way, Thanks for serving, Bro. It's an honor to know another MU grad with blisters on his ass and sand in his boots. Keep the Faith and Aim High.

Col Crash, USAF
Bronze Star, Air Medal with Combat V, OIF, OEF, Desert Storm

Same to you.  I got out of the Army as a CPT about 5 years ago.

King of Battle

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2011, 11:58:33 AM »
This is a really cool topic.

My wife goes crazy when I see a car with a Marquette window sticker or license plate frame and then follow that car for several blocks waving and honking. Or, I'll chase somebody down a shopping center mall, get into a five-minute conversation, and miss the start of the movie.

It's a relief to visit Milwaukee. I feel liberated from the need to do that.
I've done this.  It doesn't go over well with my wife either.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2011, 12:06:49 PM »
Slightly different, when on vacation I enjoy walking into the local franchised hat store and ask if they have any Marquette hats.  They never do, but I enjoy walking away with them thinking they lost a sale.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2011, 12:18:36 PM »

I've done this too.  My assumption (from reading this board) is that most of these people live far outside of Milwaukee and tilt their allegiance towards the University of Wisconsin and have no opinion.  I figure some day I'll get a positive reaction.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2011, 09:35:45 PM »
Has anyone had their blue and gold, or MU emblazoned confused with other schools?
 I have had a more than a few people guess Michigan,two -Mizzou, and one Minnesota.
Unless is a hook'em horns...Houstonians are easily stumped.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2011, 09:38:32 PM »
Has anyone had their blue and gold, or MU emblazoned confused with other schools?
 I have had a more than a few people guess Michigan,two -Mizzou, and one Minnesota.
Unless is a hook'em horns...Houstonians are easily stumped.

Yes, Michigan.  It was at Disney World.  Seeing how it is Marquette University and The University of Michigan, plus the Michigan M has been around for decades, I really do not understand the confussion.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2011, 10:30:48 PM »
Slightly different, when on vacation I enjoy walking into the local franchised hat store and ask if they have any Marquette hats.  They never do, but I enjoy walking away with them thinking they lost a sale.

+1

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2011, 07:06:47 AM »

Me, too.   Must be a Hackett thing.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2011, 09:40:39 AM »

Guilty as well, but I don't wait for vacation, I do that nearly every time I walk into a store that carries any college gear, especially in the DPRM.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2011, 10:13:08 AM »
especially in the DPRM.

Democratic People's Republic of Mexico?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2011, 11:33:57 AM »
Not quite a Marquette story, but last year in Prague, while crossing the historic Charles Bridge, I saw an "I closed Wolski's"  bumper sticker on some scaffolding used in some repair work.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2011, 12:50:53 PM »
Democratic People's Republic of Mexico?

Don't know what the "D" stands for.  I believe you have the P and R correct.  I believe the M is for Madison, though.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2011, 01:12:06 PM »
Don't know what the "D" stands for.  I believe you have the P and R correct.  I believe the M is for Madison, though.

Ahh, thanks for that :)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2011, 01:34:45 PM »

D stands for Democratic.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2011, 01:39:02 PM »

Just left Golf Shack (in southeast WI). Head covers and towels for Bucky, Michigan, and Notre Dame. You bet I let them know they lost a sale!

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2011, 03:01:22 PM »
I was on the Aran Islands in Ireland wearing a Marquette shirt and a lady came up to me asking if I went there.  Turned out it was Shirley Abrahamson, Chief Justice of the WI Supreme Court.  I had just graduated law school and passed the bar exam, and was in Madison a month later getting sworn in so I struck up a conversation with her again, and she calls over all the other justices to tell them the story.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Gave a Marquette T-shirt to a co-worker as a gift
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2011, 06:09:27 AM »
She always teases that I “always wear something Marquette” when I am not at work -- and sometimes when I am. Thus, I thought she should have a Marquette T-shirt of her own.

She is a New York University graduate who has been known to sport “NYU” attire from time to time, usually when running or at the gym.

She said she had “way too many people” asking her about her “Marquette affiliation” when she was working out and then running last weekend while wearing her cool, plain gray Marquette T-shirt.