Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Talking about Leaving a Legacy at Marquette  (Read 8170 times)

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
Buzz Talking about Leaving a Legacy at Marquette
« on: June 12, 2011, 01:17:57 AM »
interesting article on Buzz and his relationship to Marquette.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-king_williams_happiness_success_marquette_061211

I've heard a lot of his "you couldn't author a stranger story" regarding his years before coming to Marquette and his other folksy stories of growing up in Texas, but I've never heard him talk about a legacy or the idea of leaving one with MU.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Buzz Talking about Leaving a Legacy at Marquette
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 05:34:41 AM »
Never underestimate the power of a woman.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 06:47:13 AM »
The opportunity has always been at Marquette to build a legacy.  Al understood that.  Kevin and Tom chased a brass ring that they thought was only possible somewhere else.  This article will help put those Buzz to this or that school to rest.  It will help recruiting.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 08:18:47 AM »
And in the end neither Kevin nor Tom will be remembered.  Al knew the streets of New York; Buzz, the tumbleweeds of north Texas.  Both found 'home' on Wisconsin Avenue.

Wouldn't it be cool if Buzz has a long, successful run building a BEast power that recruits nationally, graduates its kids, and makes noise every year in the tourney?  Someday he can retire back home in Texas after the coaching days are over.

See you at the BBQ, boys.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 09:11:23 AM »
And in the end neither Kevin nor Tom will be remembered. 

I long for the day when Tom isn't remembered.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 09:52:10 AM »
Great news.  Interesting he gave this "scoop" to a Yahoo basketball reporter instead of Rosiak - perhaps with recruiting in mind - better to get the word out on a national level as opposed to local.  I'm sure we'll see some type of similar story from Rosiak as we approach the season...to let the more casual/local MU basketball fan read comments that are quite favorable toward Milwaukee.

This article should go a long way to quell rumors of Buzz leaving, and the subsequent fear among those of us MU fans who want to see Buzz remain at MU a long time.  Huge, that his wife seems to be happy in MKE.  I really believe we are embarking on another golden era/decade in MU basketball history.  Buzz is an original, and throwback, and I will forever be thankful to Tom Crean for recruiting him to MU - clearly TC can recognize talent.   

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 10:42:19 AM »
Very interesting that Corey had a huge hand in him staying, when so many speculated she wanted to go back to Texas...

I'm glad they look at Milwaukee like home now. Especially with all of Buzz's travels, it has to be nice to get some roots down for their family.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 11:09:19 AM »
So the university needs to create a 'Kiss Cam' video clip where Buzz plants a nice one on Corey and the Student Section goes nuts.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 11:24:34 AM »
Very interesting that Corey had a huge hand in him staying, when so many speculated she wanted to go back to Texas...

I'm glad they look at Milwaukee like home now. Especially with all of Buzz's travels, it has to be nice to get some roots down for their family.

Was that the talk on campus? I don't remember reading that sentiment in a forum like this.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 11:38:49 AM »
Was that the talk on campus? I don't remember reading that sentiment in a forum like this.

It was here.  People were guessing that she was ready to be closer to home after traveling around for Buzz's career moves for years.  I'm glad to see that we were wrong :)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 12:06:34 PM »
Who knows, in a couple of years when Calhoun, Boeheim, and the senior BE coaches ride off into the sunset, Marquette's Buzz Williams will be one of the first names mentioned when announcers talk about the leaders of the coaching fraternity of the BE!
SS Marquette

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 01:07:30 PM »
Great news.  Interesting he gave this "scoop" to a Yahoo basketball reporter instead of Rosiak - perhaps with recruiting in mind - better to get the word out on a national level as opposed to local.  I'm sure we'll see some type of similar story from Rosiak as we approach the season...to let the more casual/local MU basketball fan read comments that are quite favorable toward Milwaukee.

This article should go a long way to quell rumors of Buzz leaving, and the subsequent fear among those of us MU fans who want to see Buzz remain at MU a long time.  Huge, that his wife seems to be happy in MKE.  I really believe we are embarking on another golden era/decade in MU basketball history.  Buzz is an original, and throwback, and I will forever be thankful to Tom Crean for recruiting him to MU - clearly TC can recognize talent.   

I do not think it is a news scoop. It more likely a reporter, who wanted to write a story on Buzz and contacted Buzz to do the story. Probably wanted  to know why Buzz stayed.

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »
I would definitely say this was a "scoop"...why would Buzz wait until now to talk about this as opposed to when those positions are open a few months ago? 1. To get more money from the Jesuits 2. To keep his name in the national conversation 3. He says it now to help him nail down that last recruit.

In no stretch of the imagination does Buzz simply say this to a national reporter "just because the reporter wanted to do a story."

Buzz is much smarter than that and he knows how to play the game. This was a very strategic interview done to accomplish a specific purpose.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 02:05:42 PM »
I would definitely say this was a "scoop"...why would Buzz wait until now to talk about this as opposed to when those positions are open a few months ago? 1. To get more money from the Jesuits 2. To keep his name in the national conversation 3. He says it now to help him nail down that last recruit.

In no stretch of the imagination does Buzz simply say this to a national reporter "just because the reporter wanted to do a story."

Buzz is much smarter than that and he knows how to play the game. This was a very strategic interview done to accomplish a specific purpose.
Think you offer up some very good analysis here.  Not sure this will close the deal on a recruit he's trying to land...but definitely think Buzz chose to make his most pointed comments about why he stayed at MU to a national reporter versus a local for a reason..some of which you mention.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 08:12:38 PM »
I get a sense of a man who has been very driven and very much a vagabond for a long time.   A guy who is grateful for this job and happy here but, since he has never stayed long in one place, isn't sure that the next place won't be better.    But Corey found the right words to get him to accept the happiness and contentment that he has found and recognize it for the grace that it is.   After reading this, I am very comfortable with "I will be at Marquette as long as they will have me."     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 09:25:32 PM »

and for precisely that reason, one should take all the comments in the article with a grain of salt.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 10:05:28 PM »
I like the part where Buzz says God ordained it.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 10:07:31 PM »
I am sincerely hoping Buzz's legacy is a banner next to the 1977 banner.

Before I pass to the Al McGuire room or the Maurice Lucas room in heaven, I want another national championship. God willing, that's years away, but this older Warrior remembers 1977 like it was yesterday and is hoping Buzz gets us there.

It would be wonderful.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 11:55:05 PM »
I like the part where Buzz says God ordained it.

I still say that this is an underrated reason as to why Buzz won't leave.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 07:34:16 AM »
and for precisely that reason, one should take all the comments in the article with a grain of salt.

Wow - Pretty cynical take Sugar.  Though I can understand given the nature of the coaching profession and job jumping, etc.  However, in my view Buzz is cut from a different cloth than most.  Considering he just passed on 3 jobs that HAD to be in his Top 5-6 List - A&M, OU, Arkansas - all in the same season....tells me he and wife are pretty darn happy at MU.  Not sure what else the guy could say AND DO (declining those jobs), to pacify cynicism.  But to each their own.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 07:47:55 AM »
Wow - Pretty cynical take Sugar.  Though I can understand given the nature of the coaching profession and job jumping, etc.  However, in my view Buzz is cut from a different cloth than most.  Considering he just passed on 3 jobs that HAD to be in his Top 5-6 List - A&M, OU, Arkansas - all in the same season....tells me he and wife are pretty darn happy at MU.  Not sure what else the guy could say AND DO (declining those jobs), to pacify cynicism.  But to each their own.

Someday a pretty girl is really going to break your heart, bud.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 07:48:18 AM »
First of all Ners, we are not sure what jobs he was actually approached about - I don't think Arkansas ever talked to him and wanted Anderson from the beginning.  

Second, we have no idea what HAS to be in his top 5-6 list - we only assumed so for geography.  

And finally, since he makes more money at MU than he would have at A&M or OU, that could very well be the reason he stayed here.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 08:16:34 AM »
First of all Ners, we are not sure what jobs he was actually approached about - I don't think Arkansas ever talked to him and wanted Anderson from the beginning.  

Second, we have no idea what HAS to be in his top 5-6 list - we only assumed so for geography.  

And finally, since he makes more money at MU than he would have at A&M or OU, that could very well be the reason he stayed here.
Money does not buy happiness. either job would pay him more than enough to live on.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 08:17:38 AM »
The main reason Buzz stayed is that MU took a huge chance with him, he has had success, MU rewarded him
which in turn Buzz is staying put.  Loyalty might be the word.  I have stated before, the success of Buzz will
be the next 2 recruits he gets.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 08:20:39 AM »
Money does not buy happiness. either job would pay him more than enough to live on.

I said "that very well could be the reason."  I have no idea.  I am not projecting my values or reasons onto Buzz.