Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Talking about Leaving a Legacy at Marquette  (Read 8171 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Buzz Talking about Leaving a Legacy at Marquette
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 08:37:19 AM »
Wow - Pretty cynical take Sugar. 

I'm happy Buzz said what he said.  I just take very little of what Buzz says at face value. 
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 08:40:52 AM »
I hope one day to see a game on Buzz Williams Court at the BC
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 08:44:52 AM »
I hope one day to see a game on Buzz Williams Court at the BC

I'm sorry, Buzz will never ever be Al.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 08:47:50 AM »
Oh, I understand that completely. What I'm saying is that to get an honor such as that, Buzz would need to have an incredible career at MU. That is what I'm hoping for. There was no disrespect meant for Al. Al's story, however, has already been written. I feel that Buzz's is just the begining
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 08:54:48 AM »
Oh, I understand that completely. What I'm saying is that to get an honor such as that, Buzz would need to have an incredible career at MU. That is what I'm hoping for. There was no disrespect meant for Al. Al's story, however, has already been written. I feel that Buzz's is just the begining

I'd be okay with a Buzz Williams field house having an Al McGuire Court.

:)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 09:07:20 AM »
I'm sorry, Buzz will never ever be Al.

And if Buzz wins us 2 National Championships?

Al was great, but someone will surpass him eventually... hopefully :)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 09:37:28 AM »
Money does not buy happiness. either job would pay him more than enough to live on.

That's fair. And, sure, it'd be enough money to live on.

But these guys aren't in the business of getting "enough" to live on. They're in the business of maximizing their returns. Thus, take the money whether it means staying or going.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 10:26:50 AM »
I'm happy Buzz said what he said.  I just take very little of what Buzz says at face value. 

Bingo.

He's detailed oriented enough (obsessive) to create an image that will help his career. I think he is wise to do so as it helps him and MU.

The guy has every minute of his day planned out. I'm sure he knows what to say and when to say it.

Nice article. Good for Buzz, good for MU.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2011, 10:41:52 AM »

But these guys aren't in the business of getting "enough" to live on. They're in the business of maximizing their returns. Thus, take the money whether it means staying or going.

Basketball coaches are just like people in other professions. Some are in it only for the money and always have the "for sale" sign out. But not all. Suggesting otherwise is beyond cynicism.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:40:01 AM by Lennys Tap »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2011, 11:23:25 AM »
Someday a pretty girl is really going to break your heart, bud.

Already been done a couple of times, but still didn't result in me becoming cynical, skeptical or bitter.  Win some you lose some, right/

Bingo.

He's detailed oriented enough (obsessive) to create an image that will help his career. I think he is wise to do so as it helps him and MU.

The guy has every minute of his day planned out. I'm sure he knows what to say and when to say it.

Nice article. Good for Buzz, good for MU.

There is always going to be some politicking going on in a profession such as head coach at a high profile basketball school, and there is always going to be coach speak.  Buzz engages in both for sure, and he is quite intelligent, sharp and knows how to play his cards.  All of that said, by no means does that mean how he and his wife feel about MKE and Marquette are false. 

He just turned down two BCS jobs in his backyard/roots/with football teams/better recruiting grounds, warmer weather, etc., to stay at Marquette.  What more do some need?  This board should be estatic over his staements, and actions this off-season...yet there is all of this cynicism/negative nancy grabage....he only stayed cause he's getting paid more money than other schools were willing (speculation), I take what Buzz says with a grain of salt, etc...good Lord.  Ever take time to celebrate and be happy in life??!!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 11:47:15 AM »

That is not entirely true. Coach K and Izzo could of made a lot more money moving on to pros.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 11:57:27 AM »
It's fair to say that the college coaching fraternity has earned every bit of skepticism/cynicism that follows declarations that they're happy where they're at, have no interest in leaving, etc. (see: Anderson, Mike).

Still - other than a well-deserved general skepticism toward the profession - there's not really any reason to believe Buzz doesn't mean what he says. That doesn't mean he's a lifer at Marquette or won't ever leave for what he sees as greener pastures (or that the MU faithful won't someday eagerly show him the way out of town).
But for now, I'll take the man at his word. Guess I'm just not cynical enough to believe this is all part of an elaborate ruse to land a recruit.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:35:20 PM by Pakuni »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 12:23:26 PM »
I'm with you, Ners. Maybe because the pretty girl didn't break my heart (she married me 37+ years ago and gave me 4 wonderful kids) or because I've been blessed with kind and loyal friends, I'm not interested in being as cynical as some here. That doesn't mean I'm gullible or can't spot an obvious phony. I just don't think it's healthy to live your life thinking EVERYBODY is one. If Buzz (or anyone else) disappoints it's on him, not me, and I'll get over it. But waiting and hoping for a chance to say "I told you so" seems an empty and venal road to travel.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 12:45:27 PM »
Buzz is happy here and says he plans on staying. That does not mean he will be happy here five, ten, fifteen years form now. That would also not make him a liar, if he became unhappy here 8 years from now and left. Things change and as long as he is being truthful with where he is at today that is all I want out of him.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2011, 12:49:59 PM »
Just to clarify my previous post, I'm not unhappy with Buzz, nor do I think he's some kind of BS artist.

There is probably a fine line between being optimistic and being naive.

We all pick our spots.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 01:05:52 PM »
I'm with you, Ners. Maybe because the pretty girl didn't break my heart (she married me 37+ years ago and gave me 4 wonderful kids) or because I've been blessed with kind and loyal friends, I'm not interested in being as cynical as some here. That doesn't mean I'm gullible or can't spot an obvious phony. I just don't think it's healthy to live your life thinking EVERYBODY is one. If Buzz (or anyone else) disappoints it's on him, not me, and I'll get over it. But waiting and hoping for a chance to say "I told you so" seems an empty and venal road to travel.

Well said Lenny, some times people like to come on anonymous message boards and act like they know everything by dropping names, hyperboly, negativity, and generalities.  I have had the pleasure of knowing many good people in the business.  Seems to me the people that like to pretend they know it all, but dont, paint with a broad brush, tainting all good and bad in the business.  A good friend of mine in the business, wrote a book called, "Lead...for God's sake!", a wonderful book and a look at the heart and drive of many coaches and what their true goals are.  It aint money and fame that drives all. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2011, 03:33:11 PM »

Agree 100% and congrats on picking the right gal - I haven't been the best talent scout in that department.  Seems I do better recognizing coaches with high upside potential like Buzz.  :)
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 03:38:01 PM »
Buzz is happy here and says he plans on staying. That does not mean he will be happy here five, ten, fifteen years form now. That would also not make him a liar, if he became unhappy here 8 years from now and left. Things change and as long as he is being truthful with where he is at today that is all I want out of him.

Agree

Just to clarify my previous post, I'm not unhappy with Buzz, nor do I think he's some kind of BS artist.

There is probably a fine line between being optimistic and being naive.

We all pick our spots.

And agree..just as there is a fine line between being cynical and a pessimist.  Guss that's why Aristotle had his Golden Mean philosophy..wow..I actually did learn something in Phil 050 at MU.

feedback