'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jake Thomas  (Read 18565 times)

goyotes

• Walk-On
Jake Thomas
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:07:47 AM »
From the Sioux Falls Argus Leader

"Starting guard Jake Thomas has left the University of South Dakota basketball team, Coyotes coach Dave Boots confirmed Monday.  Thomas, a 6-foot-3 shooting guard who averaged 13.6 points a game last season as a sophomore, started 52 games in his two years with the Coyotes, leading the team in 3-pointers made and attempted both seasons.  The Racine, Wis., native native did not return phone messages Monday, and USD coaches said they did not know where he'd play next.  "He made it known to us that he had an interest in playing closer to home," Boots said. "It was hard on him and his family being that far away from home the last two years. We're grateful that we had the opportunity to work with Jake for two years, and we wish him the best."  Thomas, who earned a reputation for knocking down many of his 3-pointers from well beyond the arc, broke his own single-game record when he hit 10 treys in a win over Chicago State last season."

The above had been rumored for the past few weeks and is now confirmed.  The destination most mentioned as part of the rumor was Marquette - likely as a walkon.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Jake Thomas
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:11:56 AM »
The above had been rumored for the past few weeks and is now confirmed.  The destination most mentioned as part of the rumor was Marquette - likely as a walkon.

Interesting.  I can't remember MU having more than 1 walkon.  It takes 2 guys to fill Frozena's shoes!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:16:21 AM »
Interesting.  I can't remember MU having more than 1 walkon.  It takes 2 guys to fill Frozena's shoes!

I believe Brice and Frozena were on the team at the same time for one year.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 10:16:54 AM »
He would certainly be a helluva walk-on.......BUT I wonder how much of the rumor is based on MU being the only well known school in SE WI. A scholarship at UWM makes a lot more sense.

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 10:34:42 AM »
Went to high school with Jake at Racine St. Catherine's (same H.S. as Jim McIlvaine).

He could shoot the lights out back then, and showed he could shoot when he played us early this season.

He would be a great walk on for us.

As far as the UWM thing goes, that could be a possibilty as well. Two guys from his high school team play on Jeter's team over there.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:49:36 AM »

Tommy Brice and Craig Kuphall were both on the team in 06-07. And we had 4 in 04-05- John Willkom, Rob Hanley, Shane Grube, and Chris Teff.
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/2004

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 11:49:18 AM »
Didn't we have two last year - Rob and Dave?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 12:03:02 PM »
A "traditional" shooter from the state of Wisconsin?! If he comes to MU, it would be the greatest moment of Chicos' life!

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 12:24:37 PM »
I heard this rumor from people at the Racine paper that he called them a week ago about him transferring to MU. I don't know his family too well, but they did send their children to a Catholic high school that charges $8K per year. Wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility of them paying for a Jesuit school if he didn't have any interest in UWM, liked MU, and wanted to play for a major program. Would be a great walk-on, but not sure if he is a scholarship type player.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 03:09:24 PM »
Went to high school with Jake at Racine St. Catherine's (same H.S. as Jim McIlvaine).

He could shoot the lights out back then, and showed he could shoot when he played us early this season.

He would be a great walk on for us.

As far as the UWM thing goes, that could be a possibilty as well. Two guys from his high school team play on Jeter's team over there.

Honestly, I want MU's walkons to be guys who can play tough D, and can run other team's offenses well... guys who can shoot need not apply.

MUcookie30

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 03:27:41 PM »
If a former D1 scholarship player wants to walk-on here I'm all for it, no matter what his skillset is.  Its not too often that that happens (atleast here) and it just adds even more quality to the roster.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 03:33:15 PM »
If a former D1 scholarship player wants to walk-on here I'm all for it, no matter what his skillset is.  Its not too often that that happens (atleast here) and it just adds even more quality to the roster.

What Hards is trying to say, that the primarily role of a walk-on is a practice player. 

Thus a 6'3" shooting guard is not the ideal.  And to Hards comment, +1.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 03:34:50 PM »
Shooting threes is a good thing that we need.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 03:44:14 PM »

reinko got my point.  The thing about walkons is that they don't play in games.  Whether or not they hit their shots in practice is inconsequential.

muball

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 03:44:38 PM »
our competition shoots treys so there is a value in him participating on scout team and contributing as a player.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 03:51:13 PM »
our competition shoots treys so there is a value in him participating on scout team and contributing as a player.

Oh my God.  Who cares what someones shooting % is in practice.  It's about actually creating an open look in practice.  You could have Steve Novak or Oliver Miller out there shooting 3's in practice, doesn't matter.  Neither will create their own shot.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 04:02:18 PM »
UW's two senior walkons actually hit some key threes this year. I be happy with him walking on, whether he fills a need or not. Besides that it takes pressure off Buzz to use a scholarship now just to make sure he has enough practice players. That alone should make the save the scholarship posters happy.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 04:02:42 PM »
Oh my God.  Who cares what someones shooting % is in practice.  It's about actually creating an open look in practice.  You could have Steve Novak or Oliver Miller out there shooting 3's in practice, doesn't matter.  Neither will create their own shot.

+1

Any of us could run around on the scout team pretending to be Kemba Walker and every time we get an open look, it counts as a make regardless of how ugly our shots are.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 04:06:22 PM »
UW's two senior walkons actually hit some key threes this year. I be happy with him walking on, whether he fills a need or not. Besides that it takes pressure off Buzz to use a scholarship now just to make sure he has enough practice players. That alone should make the save the scholarship posters happy.

They went to the walk-ons out of desperation more than anything.  UW had no depth at the number two after Gasser since Rob Wilson has apparently become a head-case.

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 04:07:41 PM »
+1

Any of us could run around on the scout team pretending to be Kemba Walker and every time we get an open look, it counts as a make regardless of how ugly our shots are.

You are assuming that just because he is a walk-on, he automatically has no chance of playing in a game.  The kid can shoot (ten threes in one game) and that certainly could be utilized in an actual game situation such as being down 3 with seconds on the clock at the end of a game.  

I will take that over a Frozena type any day.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 04:15:31 PM »

You are assuming that just because he is a walk-on, he automatically has no chance of playing in a game.  The kid can shoot (ten threes in one game) and that certainly could be utilized in an actual game situation such as being down 3 with seconds on the clock at the end of a game.  

No, I'm not. I'm saying that, in general terms, it doesn't matter how good of a shooter a player is when he's on the scout team.

muball

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 04:17:42 PM »
Reinko, use your imagination a team use's alot of screens and their 3 pt shooter hits treys using the screens. Well now in practice u can simulate their offense and have someone who can hit treys. Very valuable for scout teams and for game situations. He is more then a walkon as he can contribute.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 05:48:40 PM »

You'd rather have a random guy, instead of a 4.0 student that our entire team loves and picks up opposing offenses+defenses incredibly quickly?  Great choice, pal ;)

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 06:19:36 PM »
Are some of these 30 footers and yes, I'm serious?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3wcnX4nqYA
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

muball

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 06:26:13 PM »
Why people need to make comments about Rob is frustrating, Rob was a very good HS player, added value to the MU program and the team. Jake is definitely a sniper when u look at his trey shooting and could help be a zone buster in addition to adding strength to the roster. If he attends MU I think people will be surprised at what Dave and Jake bring to the party.