Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jake Thomas  (Read 18568 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Jake Thomas
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 07:07:47 PM »
Are some of these 30 footers and yes, I'm serious?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3wcnX4nqYA

Talk about not having a conscience... jeebus!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 07:12:43 PM »
Talk about not having a conscience... jeebus!

Nice form and actually made moves to get open and shoot.  Now of course these are videos of the made shots, not the misses, but some were in Jimmer land.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 07:16:31 PM »
Damn some of those are super deep...I have absolutely no issues with this. In fact I am pretty excited. Kid has deep range.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 07:37:21 PM »
Like we don't need better shootas, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 07:47:03 PM »
Any chance we give him a schollie?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 08:34:22 PM »
To say a kid like this wouldn't add value to MU is crazy.  If you can get a D-1 level player (I don't care if he balls at low to mid-major school) to walk-on??  No downside whatsoever.  Guarantee a guy like Thomas and Dave Singleton rachet up the Scout team and competitve nature in practice A LOT more than a Rob Frozena (God love him), or Tommy Brice.

A guy like Thomas can be a HUGE role player at MU - talk about a guy who can space the floor and create driving angles for our slashers??  Novak was huge for the Big 3 (and also benefited greatly from their athleticism)- A LOT of synergy between switchable athletic slashers, and a great shooter like Jake Thomas.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

goyotes

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 09:50:30 PM »
If you don't want Jake, send him back.  We would sure take him.  If he does end up at Marquette and ends up contributing to the Golden Eagles I only think it is fair for you to offer USD a player in return - we could really use another big guy. 

In all seriousness, I am not the good of judge of talent, but from what I have heard from my son, who is a student at USD, Jake is a good kid.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, 09:56:52 PM »
If you don't want Jake, send him back.  We would sure take him.  If he does end up at Marquette and ends up contributing to the Golden Eagles I only think it is fair for you to offer USD a player in return - we could really use another big guy. 

In all seriousness, I am not the good of judge of talent, but from what I have heard from my son, who is a student at USD, Jake is a good kid.

Think some of our message board/posters in this thread were way off base in their opinions (to which they are entitled however) on Jake's value to MU.  He'd be a GREAT addition to the MU team.  Unfortunately we can't return the favor of a "big guy" as MU has had a dearth of those the last decade.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, 10:04:13 PM »
Reinko, use your imagination a team use's alot of screens and their 3 pt shooter hits treys using the screens. Well now in practice u can simulate their offense and have someone who can hit treys. Very valuable for scout teams and for game situations. He is more then a walkon as he can contribute.

You can simulate other teams' offense without having a guy hitting 3s. MU could have anyone running off screens and jacking 3s and it doesn't matter if they go in. It only matters if they can defend the offense.

Thomas could be a valuable asset to this team but his ability to hit 3s for the scout team in practice would have nothing to do with it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2011, 10:50:35 PM »
To say a kid like this wouldn't add value to MU is crazy.  If you can get a D-1 level player (I don't care if he balls at low to mid-major school) to walk-on??  No downside whatsoever.  Guarantee a guy like Thomas and Dave Singleton rachet up the Scout team and competitve nature in practice A LOT more than a Rob Frozena (God love him), or Tommy Brice.

A guy like Thomas can be a HUGE role player at MU - talk about a guy who can space the floor and create driving angles for our slashers??  Novak was huge for the Big 3 (and also benefited greatly from their athleticism)- A LOT of synergy between switchable athletic slashers, and a great shooter like Jake Thomas.

Okay, well how about this. I'll assume that a returning 13.6 ppg scorer for USD would probably increase his scoring total, and have to be worth some win credits for them. This guy could be the difference between a 9-21 team and a 16-15 team. Maybe that's overselling him, but that's my devil's advocate position.

Now, USD has played Marquette every year since they joined D1. If we play them again this year, we want them to be as good as possible. So the question is this. Will he add more win credits to Marquette in 2012-13 and 2013-14 than the value he gives to Marquette by boosting their RPI in our probable games against USD in 2011-12 and 2012-13?

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but there is some value for Marquette if Jake Thomas stays at USD instead of coming here, especially if he gives average walk-on production (though from stats here, I'm guessing he'd be far more valuable).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2011, 07:52:39 AM »
Think some of our message board/posters in this thread were way off base in their opinions (to which they are entitled however) on Jake's value to MU.  He'd be a GREAT addition to the MU team.  Unfortunately we can't return the favor of a "big guy" as MU has had a dearth of those the last decade.

He was a unrated player out of high school who apparently wasn't sniffed by either UWGB or UWM, and ended up at the lowest level of D1 ball.  And now apparently because we have been shown some Youtube video, we think he can be real successful at BE level basketball?  Cmon...

I agree with you that he can help in practice and that he *may* be able to come off the bench and hit a shot or two.  But that's basically it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 07:59:42 AM »

He was a unrated player out of high school who apparently wasn't sniffed by either UWGB or UWM, and ended up at the lowest level of D1 ball.  And now apparently because we have been shown some Youtube video, we think he can be real successful at BE level basketball?  Cmon...

I agree with you that he can help in practice and that he *may* be able to come off the bench and hit a shot or two.  But that's basically it.

This exactly.

The guy played inferior talent last year and managed 13.6 ppg.  He wouldn't SNIFF the court in the BEAST unless it was Trillian time.

You'd rather have a random guy, instead of a 4.0 student that our entire team loves and picks up opposing offenses+defenses incredibly quickly?  Great choice, pal ;)

Additionally, this.  Walk ons do not play in games, they practice and make out team better that way.

MarqBB77-03

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2011, 08:28:31 AM »
The question is can he play defense in the Big East for 8 to 10 minutes a game with Otule behind him to help out?  If so, having another great 3-point shooter would be great.
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."  Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2011, 08:38:38 AM »
You do realize that shooting in the BE is going to be a little more difficult than the Great West Conference right? 

Just out of curiosity, I looked up his stats.  Last year he shot 34.7% from 3 point land, and had an overall FG% of 36.3.  South Dakota played three "high major" opponents throughout the year - Nebraska, Wisconsin and MU, and he shot 9.1%, 30.8% and 30.8% in those games.

Vander Blue had a better FG% than he did...against better competition...and we have posters on this board who have said "Vander needs to stop shooting."  As a percentage, he would have been the fourth best 3 point shooter on this team, behind DJO, DB and Jae...just percentage points ahead of JFB.

Guys, get a grip here.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2011, 09:07:36 AM »
Interesting analysis all the way around here.  Clearly his level of D-1 ball is NOT the Big East.  Clearly the talent he plays with (as teammates) is not what he'd be playing with at MU. 

Many here were clamoring for a Scott Christopherson type of shooter this past season - and to me Thomas looks every bit as capable as Christopherson - and he comes as a walk on.  What is the downside??

So MU doesn't have to burn a scholarship on a kid that has definite shooting range, that has averaged 13.6ppg at low level D-1 ball?  Who needs a walk on to be a star performer anyway?  Don't think anyone who is supportive of Thomas coming to MU as a walk on is expecting him to be a star - but rather a nice complementary piece at no scholarship cost.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2011, 09:14:51 AM »
You do realize that shooting in the BE is going to be a little more difficult than the Great West Conference right? 

Just out of curiosity, I looked up his stats.  Last year he shot 34.7% from 3 point land, and had an overall FG% of 36.3.  South Dakota played three "high major" opponents throughout the year - Nebraska, Wisconsin and MU, and he shot 9.1%, 30.8% and 30.8% in those games.

Vander Blue had a better FG% than he did...against better competition...and we have posters on this board who have said "Vander needs to stop shooting."  As a percentage, he would have been the fourth best 3 point shooter on this team, behind DJO, DB and Jae...just percentage points ahead of JFB.

Guys, get a grip here.

+1

He was the third-leading scorer on an average low-level D1 team and I get the impression that he's kind of a chucker - almost 75% of his career shot attempts are 3s. Could he have some value? Absolutely. Am I expecting him to be Marquette's zone buster? No.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2011, 09:27:16 AM »
Many here were clamoring for a Scott Christopherson type of shooter this past season - and to me Thomas looks every bit as capable as Christopherson - and he comes as a walk on.  What is the downside??

Oh I agree, there is no downside risk here.  I just think we have to temper our projections about what this might mean for our team.  He will likely have zero impact on the outcome of any game next year on the floor.  He may positively impact the team on the practice floor, and that's great.

And Christopherson is a much better shooter against much better competition.  Last year he shot 42%, including 44% from 3.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2011, 09:35:32 AM »
#1 I don't know if this specific kid can help MU or not. I haven't seen him play. (full disclosure)

HOWEVER...

#2 the 3pt line in the Big East is the same as the 3pt line in every bumblefrick conference. Hitting a wide open 3 in either place is going to be similar. Now, playing defense and getting open will be monumentally tougher, but I don't think anybody is expecting him to create his own shot.

#3 I would never expect a kid of his (projected) talent to create/make a ton of 3pters for MU. But, there is value in a walk-on shooter who could mature into a role player that can hit a some shots.

#4 Gym rats have value, especially if he's a walk-on (sits a year), and eventually carves out a small role.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2011, 09:49:43 AM »
He was the third-leading scorer on an average low-level D1 team and I get the impression that he's kind of a chucker - almost 75% of his career shot attempts are 3s. Could he have some value? Absolutely. Am I expecting him to be Marquette's zone buster? No.

Actually, that's overselling USD by quite a bit. Their RPI was 314 last season. And that was with a winning record. That's a bad low-level D1 team. And they played 13 games against teams that had lower RPIs than they did. Since we played them, that drags our RPI down even further.

Another walk-on would be great, but there's probably at least a decent chance we see USD on our schedule this year. They return 7 of their top 8 scorers, all of whom averaged 16+ mpg last year. There's every chance they could rise to the top of their conference, which would make them potentially a top-250 RPI team, not that bad for a buy game. But take away one of their top scorers and that could drop them down a few notches. Honestly, this kid might end up pretty valuable to us if he stays at USD.

That said, I wouldn't begrudge anyone wanting to come to Marquette, especially someone from the area. If he'd rather attend Marquette, I'd be happy to welcome him to the family, and if he was able to pay his way and wanted to try out for the team, more power to him :)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2011, 10:11:15 AM »

You probalbly could of posted the same thing about Jimmy Butler. I am not sure of his rating coming out of high school, but I doubt he got a sniff form UWGB or UWM. Some players improve and some do not. He walks on and has a year to practice as a redshirt. All he has to do to be effective is be a player you cannot leave alone on the court, which stretches the defense. Will he be this, I have no idea, but MU does not have a dead eye shooter.

LON

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2011, 10:50:17 AM »
You probalbly could of posted the same thing about Jimmy Butler. I am not sure of his rating coming out of high school, but I doubt he got a sniff form UWGB or UWM. Some players improve and some do not. He walks on and has a year to practice as a redshirt. All he has to do to be effective is be a player you cannot leave alone on the court, which stretches the defense. Will he be this, I have no idea, but MU does not have a dead eye shooter.

DJO isn't a dead-eye shooter?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2011, 11:07:34 AM »
Bilsu, MU has *three* guys who shot better last year from three point range than this guy did.  (Four if you include Fulce who had obviously less attempts.)  If Thomas is a "dead-eye shooter," then we have two already on the roster.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2011, 06:12:59 PM »
DJO isn't a dead-eye shooter?

Nope ... a streak shooter.   Novak was a dead-eyed shooter.

262Baller

• Walk-On
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2011, 10:32:30 PM »
As a former teammate and friend of Jake's I can assure you he is not going to MU to be a scout player. He is an exceptional basketball product, MU fans will enjoy watching him on the court. The main reason he went USD was he wanted to commit early, in the fall, because he had just come off a wrist fracture that cost him a whole summer of exposure. So signed with the first d1 school to offer him But after his 34 point performance in the semi finals at the kohl center (shooting 7 - 11 from 3) he had plenty of other serious interest but he had already signed his LOI... Anyways you guys will be getting a guy who will be able to spread the floor and make the guys around him better. Also he is a very good passer with good vision and also a good rebounder for a shooting guard.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2011, 11:55:06 PM »
Nope ... a streak shooter.   Novak was a dead-eyed shooter.

Novak was one of a kind.  Greatest shooter in college ball I've ever seen.

feedback