collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Rants and Raves  (Read 8983 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Rants and Raves
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:56:30 AM »
So you like cutting a kid after one year if it does not work out?  I am not a fan of that,  supposedly
a player thinks he is signing for 4 years, not one.  If you are recruiting a marginal player they normally
do not work out anyway.  Ask the last coach, he signed a few late and they could not cut it, or they
were cut.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:10:42 PM by SoCalwarrior »

GGGG

• All American
Re: Chris Bryant
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 11:01:22 AM »
I don't like cutting players either.  But who knows what could happen?  We have had unexpected transfers in each of the previous two years.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 11:19:34 AM »
So you like cutting a kid after one year if it does not work out?  I am not a fan of that,  supposedly
a player thinks he is signing for 4 years, not one.  If you are recruiting a marginal player they normally
do not work out anyway.  Ask the last coach, he signed a few late and they could not cut it, or they
were cut.

I don't like cutting either if it's a surprise to the kid.

On the other hand, tell a kid that if he works hard and steps his game up he'll have a permanent spot on the team but if not we'll find someone that can cut it.  If expectations are aligned beforehand I could see a young man wanting to test his mettle in a situation he might otherwise not be able to experience.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 12:13:56 PM »
So you like cutting a kid after one year if it does not work out?  I am not a fan of that,  supposedly
a player thinks he is signing for 4 years, not one.  If you are recruiting a marginal player they normally
do not work out anyway.  Ask the last coach, he signed a few late and they could not cut it, or they
were cut.
Unlike the current coach who does not cut kids or take kids that cannot cut it: Read: Newbill, Roseboro, Smith, Maymon. Face it, a lot coaches do this/have this problem. Not defending Crean here.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 12:20:47 PM »
Unlike the current coach who does not cut kids or take kids that cannot cut it: Read: Newbill, Roseboro, Smith, Maymon. Face it, a lot coaches do this/have this problem. Not defending Crean here.

To say that Smith or Maymon was "cut" is totally, 100% false, but don't let that get in the way of a conclusion you would prefer.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 12:54:31 PM »
We know that Maymon's dad got in the way here. I think he would have been a decent player by mid soph year. Smith just wanted playing time. Think Wilson will be fine and look what Cadougan did. Things really lit up when he got in the near the end of the season. Hope he shoots better. Let's sign Chris Bryant. He is 6-8, needs weight but according to espn evaluation he needs to hone his skills. He has them. Hope his academics are good. An MU type player. Still wanted God's Gift.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 12:55:48 PM »
What does banking the scholarship get Marquette?

There's no reason not to take a flyer on a young man.  If he doesn't work out then we can easily free up the scholarship for the 2012 season.

It get's you an extra scholarship for 2012 and a possibility of securing a better player than you can at this stage in the game.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 12:56:34 PM »
Anyone hear if Jeremy Jones (6-2 Juco Player) is considering MU?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 01:01:04 PM »
Anyone hear if Jeremy Jones (6-2 Juco Player) is considering MU?

Signed with Kansas State.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 01:55:07 PM »
It get's you an extra scholarship for 2012 and a possibility of securing a better player than you can at this stage in the game.

No, it doesnt.

You have the same amount of one year renewablee scholarships this year as you will next year.

Never, ever bank a scholarship.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 05:39:55 PM »
To say that Smith or Maymon was "cut" is totally, 100% false, but don't let that get in the way of a conclusion you would prefer.

My understanding is that Maymon was asked to leave based on the actions of his father and that he begged to stay with the team.  Not sure I agree with your conclusion that its "totally, 100% false" to say he was cut.

So you like cutting a kid after one year if it does not work out?  I am not a fan of that,  supposedly
a player thinks he is signing for 4 years, not one.  If you are recruiting a marginal player they normally
do not work out anyway.  Ask the last coach, he signed a few late and they could not cut it, or they
were cut.

My question is why you singled out "the last coach" when you know that Buzz also had several signed late that couldn't cut it or were cut?

You have the same amount of one year renewablee scholarships this year as you will next year.

This is correct.

If there is a year that should demonstrate exactly why we have to fill every scholarship, we need to go back no further than 2009-2010.  Out of 13 scholarship players at the start of the year:
--one left before the start of play (Roseboro)
--three were injured and out of the lineup for much of the year (Mbao, Otule and Cadougan)
--one more left mid-season (Maymon).  
--one more wasn't ready and needed development (Williams)

That left us with a rotation of seven scholarship players.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 05:47:41 PM »
Hey lenny--once again you shot your mouth off without engaging the brain. The original premise, which somebody else made, was players" who were cut or could not cut it". Well, that applies to all whom I mentioned; Newbill, Roseboro, Maymon and Smith. If you read the posts, I never said they were cut--that is your lame interpretation, Read and comprehend, Lenny. Must be your MU education.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 08:48:41 PM »
Hey lenny--once again you shot your mouth off without engaging the brain. The original premise, which somebody else made, was players" who were cut or could not cut it". Well, that applies to all whom I mentioned; Newbill, Roseboro, Maymon and Smith. If you read the posts, I never said they were cut--that is your lame interpretation, Read and comprehend, Lenny. Must be your MU education.

Just reading that one line in bold coming from you of all people made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the laughs, willie.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 09:06:03 PM »
Just reading that one line in bold coming from you of all people made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the laughs, willie.
You are welcome. I'll be here all week!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 09:16:09 PM »
You are welcome. I'll be here all week!

<sigh>....we know willie...

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 02:48:29 PM »
Hey, Kevin Ware is available again and Trevor Lacey hasn't signed yet.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 02:58:10 PM »
I would think the last thing we would need is another shooting guard...which is what both Ware and Lacey are.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »
No, it doesnt.

Ah, sorry, but yes it does.  If you use it this year you have to either boot someone or someone leaves next year or you do not have one more to give next year.  As I said, it gains you an extra one next year - currently there is one not spoken for that is available from the graduating class.  Push this to next year and it adds one.  Not that difficult a concept to understand.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:56:25 PM by MUMac »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 05:00:07 PM »
MUMac...you are not understanding what Hards is saying.  He is saying that since they are all one year renewables, you have the option to have as many open as you want.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 06:15:13 PM »
MUMac...you are not understanding what Hards is saying.  He is saying that since they are all one year renewables, you have the option to have as many open as you want.

O k, so he felt compelled to point out the obvious?  Really, what was the purpose of his post?  It should be clear to anyone with a brain that I was talking about scholarships to give in 2012.  Unless he just wants to pick fights with everyone, that is what I see more from him than anything of substance.  Geez.   ::)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:19:35 PM by MUMac »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 06:22:17 PM »
No, I think his point was that we don't need to worry about what happens in 2012.  If we sign Bryant now, he may turn out great, and it still wouldn't prevent us from signing multiple studs should they want to come here.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 07:03:29 PM »
No, I think his point was that we don't need to worry about what happens in 2012.  If we sign Bryant now, he may turn out great, and it still wouldn't prevent us from signing multiple studs should they want to come here.

I don't think there's any real debate over that, more so if there's an ethical dilemma if you take Bryant, for example, and then sign three additional players for 2012. Sure, we could add Alex Poythress, Kris Dunn, and Shaquille Cleare, but that would mean we need to not renew two players. Are people fine with telling Bryant and Derrick Wilson (or Mayo, or Williams, or Jones, or whomever) that they need to move on? It will certainly bring criticism of Buzz on this board, and we'll hear more about "Buzz-cutting".

I'm not sure where I stand. I'm not a fan of bringing someone in and sending them out, but I recognize it happens. I know that it would feel a lot cleaner if we simply added Poythress and Dunn in 2012 without having to ship off the last 2011 guy to make the numbers work.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 07:09:42 PM »
Like I keep saying, if everyone is returning and the newcomers appear to be qualified and Buzz should have a pretty good handle on this by now, we'll have Otule and Gardner in the post and Jae Crowder, Jamil Wilson, Erik Williams, Jamail Jones and Juan Anderson at the 3 and 4.  At least to me, unless you are recruiting someone with a higher ceiling than these players, why sign a player to just sign a player.

I'd much rather go into next year with 12 scholarship players and armed with 3 scholarships for the 2012 class than give one out to a player just to have 13 on scholarship.  Now, if a player surfaces this spring or summer that has outstanding potential, I have no problem with Buzz going hard after him, but until I hear of a player like this,  I say hold.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 10:51:21 PM »
At this time, there is probably no one worth taking in the senior class.  If a transfer still
happens during the summer there will be room to take that person.  Otherwise, move on.
12 kids are enough.  The 13th player can never be happy, secondly, MU will need to take
another shooter in 2012 to take the place of DJO.  Ferguson looks like a slasher, much like
Vander.  Enough of those types.  2 openings to start in 2012.  High school seniors like the
idea they maybe able to start as a frosh.  I do not think it will happen, but PF has a great
opportunity.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 07:26:21 AM »
if MU is going to sign someone it better be quick.  Its May 1st and most of the recruits signed for this year are getting ready to report to their school for summer classes.