[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Triple shooting near campus  (Read 15767 times)

MUEng92

• All American
Re: Triple shooting near campus
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 12:11:58 PM »
It's like the time my friends and went to a party on 15th and Highland.  Yumma humma, the only, and last time we traveled past State.

Ummm, what year was this party?  From 1990-1992, I lived in a house at what would be 16th and Highland if 16th didn't end at the alley behind our house.  Inside the house was modern compared to some of the other houses on campus at the time.  It was just the walk from campus to the door of the house that was a problem.  That and the occasional knock on the front door in the middle of the night with a guy asking if he could mow our lawn.  A few other stories I will leave out in case prospective students are reading this.

Living that far from campus we felt like we were on an island.  The "just have to survive until then" comment brings back vivid memories of having that EXACT thought several times 2nd semester of my senior year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 12:18:04 PM »
I lived at 21 st and Michigan 87-88.   The summer we moved in (87), on the first floor, there was a B & E with a sexual assault.    I broke up muggings two different times at Mashuda (no heroics, just walked up at the right time and yelled really loud), and, oh, yeah, I did my laundry 2 blocks from Dahmer-ville.     And don't forget the girl who was killed across the street from Mashuda in front of what was, at the time, a florist.    Summer 84 or 85, I think.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 12:46:31 PM »
I had a guy bother me for a couple minutes on about 21st and Wells one night on my way to a party.

Him:  "Hey man, can I buy some drugs from you?"  Huge dude with perfect english and clean clothes
Me:  "You've got to be the worst undercover cop ever."
Him: "What? Umm, no man I just want to buy some drugs drugs.  Do you have any Dope or Acid or ummm Cocaine?"
Me"  "Who calls it dope anymore?"

This went on for an awkwardly long time.  Around 2k1 probably.

groove

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 12:58:21 PM »
in '83, when I lived off campus (68th and bluemound area)  there were several Friday and Saturday nights after parties when I didn't want to spend the night at the party house and didn't have a car.  I would walk home at 3 am, up wisconsin ave, some 50 blocks. Looking back, that was pure stupidity.

Only two bad incidents. 1- walked past a house around hawley rd where a few people saw me walk by their driveway and thought I swiped something from their car. I had to run through backyards to get away. 2 - After getting a morning sentinel out of the newspaper box turned around to see a huge st. bernard three feet from me. Scared the hell out of me.

Between 22nd and wisconsin and up to the bridge past 35th was some scary real estate. I was too young and too drunk to know better.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 01:04:41 PM »
Lived at 18th and State my junior and senior years, across a narrow alley from a bar frequented by the locals. Many fun adventures ensued, the most memorable being a shooting that left a guy bleeding from two gunshot wounds (to the leg, fortunately for him) at our back door.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 01:14:58 PM »
groove...i once got left behind at a party up near UWM (spring '87) and walked back to MU at about 2 AM.  Of course, I didn't take the smart way back...through downtown.  Since I really didn't know Milwaukee well at the time, I thought "I'll just walk west down Locust until I hit streets with numbers on them."

Jesus was that dumb.

groove

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »
groove...i once got left behind at a party up near UWM (spring '87) and walked back to MU at about 2 AM.  Of course, I didn't take the smart way back...through downtown.  Since I really didn't know Milwaukee well at the time, I thought "I'll just walk west down Locust until I hit streets with numbers on them."

Jesus was that dumb.

ooops, and you survived to tell about it.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 01:33:26 PM »
Walking past Renee Row, ML can in tow, see a cop driving up the street, I pull the strategic, hid the can to my side.  They roll past, give the old "whew, that was close to my buddy".  30 seconds later....WOOP WOOP.  Sir, please put down the can."

Two MPD, hop out, and play the good cop/bad cop to a routine.  The bad one, alright you two get down on the ground right now, hands to your side.  How old are you?  What are you doing out this late?  Do you go to Marquette?  I am like, uuhhh..20, hanging out, and yes.  "Don't get smart with me jackass."  About 14 beers deep, I am like, uuhhh, just answering your questions sir.  "gimmie your license.

He goes back to the squad car, the other cop...don't mind him, it's ok guys, my buddy was just sitting back, they allow him to leave, but he asks if he can stay to make sure I am ok, the good cop, oh man, that's cool, good friend you have there.  Bad cop reenters the scene...I smells drugs, you've been toking (he actually used the term toking) tonight too?  I smell it on you.  I answer no sir (which was actually the truth), well I am going to search you anyway.  My friend pipes in and says, we were just out at friends house having beers...SHUTUP you, didn't I tell you to leave.  One more word, and you will end up in lock up, just like your friend (me) will end up in tonight.  Now run home.  He looks at the good cop, he shrugs...starts walking down the sidewalk, cops screams I SAID RUN!  Dude starts sprinting.

After about another 20 minutes of grilling, they give me an underage drinking ticket for $180, I contest it...the DA is an MU grad, asks what I think is fair, I said a promise not to do it again with a smile...he responds how about half?  I said great.  $90 it is.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2011, 01:37:22 PM »
Good to know that i am moving to apartments on 22nd (in btwn wisc and wells) next year... :o

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2011, 03:00:37 PM »
I can't even imagine having a dorm at 27th and Wisconsin nowadays. That would present so many problems. And its 13 blocks to the nearest academic building.

I do hope, though, that MU continues buying land west and converting it to campus space, like in the case of Humphrey Hall and Mashuda. If they could buy up the blocks solid on Wisconsin Ave. up to 20th, it would definitely feel a lot safer.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2011, 03:04:10 PM »
Has the campus changed that much since I have been there that the nearest academic building would be at 14th and Wisconsin?  A real city block in the area around MU runs north and south....Most of the "numbered streets" running east and west are not real city blocks.

I can't even imagine having a dorm at 27th and Wisconsin nowadays. That would present so many problems. And its 13 blocks to the nearest academic building.

I do hope, though, that MU continues buying land west and converting it to campus space, like in the case of Humphrey Hall and Mashuda. If they could buy up the blocks solid on Wisconsin Ave. up to 20th, it would definitely feel a lot safer.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:19:19 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
Victor may not be a mathematics major.

I will not share some stories because I want kids to go to Marquette.  Besides, it's not that bad and it helps build character for those who haven't lived in similar areas before.

For all the mildly scary events, there were many more pleasurable and fun events.. like puking into little cups as an 18 year old while standing at a table at Pizza Joe's, with the place at full capacity and then some.  The crowd loved it.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »

Jeez, the neighborhood around campus now is better than it was when I was there (86-90).  There was a shuttle that ran from West Hall to the library and back at regular intervals.  They were like their own seperate community up there.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2011, 03:21:17 PM »

Jeez, the neighborhood around campus now is better than it was when I was there (86-90).  There was a shuttle that ran from West Hall to the library and back at regular intervals.  They were like their own seperate community up there.

It was awesome.  My favorite dorm experience at Marquette.  The neighborhood was crap, but we had a lot of fun.  We took the bus, but we walked a lot too.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2011, 03:22:46 PM »
Has the campus changed that much since I have been there that the nearest academic building would be at 14th and Wisconsin?  A real city block in the area around MU runs north and south....Most of the "numbered streets" running east and west are not real city blocks.

Not counting the dental school, academic buildings go up to 16th. The new engineering building is going up between 16th and 17th.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2011, 03:26:34 PM »
It was awesome.  My favorite dorm experience at Marquette.  The neighborhood was crap, but we had a lot of fun.  We took the bus, but we walked a lot too.

Had many friends at West....best parties were in the Quads....one huge party room.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2011, 03:27:33 PM »

Spent a year at West and didn't mind it at all. The distance wasn't great, but I never had a problem walking up and down Wisconsin Ave and it had, by far, the best dorm rooms on campus back then.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2011, 03:51:33 PM »
There's been a few threads about West (or that talked about it).  For the kiddos this thread has some good history lessons in it...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=1603.msg11786#msg11786

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2011, 03:55:18 PM »

When I was there (04-09) I remember students getting kidnapped, beat up, and brought to gang houses.   I would hate to have been there with you if it is better now!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 05:18:13 PM »
West Hall was originally a Holiday Inn hotel, I believe.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2011, 05:56:51 PM »

Yup, that's my math for you. 27-13 is definitely not 16, as in 16th in Wisconsin, which is what I was shooting for   ?-(

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2011, 08:30:05 PM »
When I was there (04-09) I remember students getting kidnapped, beat up, and brought to gang houses.   I would hate to have been there with you if it is better now!

I was there 04-08 and I remember that as well.  Definitely screwed up.  Worst thing that ever happened to me was my buddies and I chased by a couple Latin Kings with baseball bats starting at Renee Row and ending with a very timely appearance by DPS.  Good Times...

A story about the area in question though.  I was at my buddy's place having a couple of drinks in the apartments next to the Rave.  There was a concert letting out and we stepped out to have a smoke.  Then we heard gunshots and saw a guy running down the street toward campus.  That was our cue to go inside.  After we saw the police lights we went downstairs for another smoke and this guy walked up to us and asked for one.  He was shaking so we asked him what happened and he said a guy tried to rob him.  In his inebriated state he took the gun from the guy and started shooting at him as he ran away.  Very stupid but very awesome story...

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2011, 09:02:56 PM »
MU from 1989-94

Freshman year, Chad Goetsch (5th floor McCormick and i lived in 332 McCormick) takes off in the middle of the night to kill his step-father (a state senator) with a crossbow... he failed.

Sigma Phi Delta student killed by shotgun blast in robbery while moving in... for his stereo speakers BY A FOURTEEN YEAR OLD!!

Dahmer...  Nuff said.

Domino's Pizza guy driving after us (on grass that is now the Alumni Memorial Union) for pelting his car during the biggest snowball fight i've ever witnessed. (more fun than dangerous)

Being accosted more times than John Nash could calculate for money, cigarettes, and/or beer.

Living in Maryland Court Jr. year was an adventure.

Living across from the Jesus Saves mission the following year, having mission "residents" sitting on my front porch every morning in the summer (40s in hand).  Bringing a case of Golden Lion Malt liquor 40s to the same basketball courts almost daily and sharing with the local talent.  Having drug dealers come to blows on said court.

All in all, i'd not change it for all the tea in China.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2011, 09:16:24 PM »

All in all, i'd not change it for all the tea in China.

That's a lot of tea.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2011, 09:49:34 PM »
We lived at 23rd and Michigan and survived fine.  One of my roomies did get jumped twice, but that was the extent of it.  Late night Michaels and Taco Bell runs were the norm.

feedback