collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Played Their Hearts Out  (Read 4404 times)

TillysDad

• Walk-On
Played Their Hearts Out
« on: March 30, 2011, 12:57:13 PM »
Played Their Hearts Out, great new book by George Dohrmann.  Quick Read, he follows a young "coach", and his collection of basketball players over a 9 year period.  An interesting and sometimes disheartening look at how seedy and corrupt the AAU and grassroots basketball scene is now a days.

The whole Tokoto situation lends me to believe that so many factors are pulling that young guy around, and his best interests are probably the last to come into play.

groove

Re: Played Their Hearts Out
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 12:58:49 PM »
I wonder how many of these kids actually like playing basketball by the time they get through the whole process. I would guess there is a decent percentage who don't even like playing basketball.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 01:22:42 PM »
I wonder how many of these kids actually like playing basketball by the time they get through the whole process. I would guess there is a decent percentage who don't even like playing basketball.

That's a great point. I coach at the sixth grade level, and some of the teams we play against play 60-80 games over the winter. Tournaments every weekend. The skill level is amazing, but that is all they (and their families) do. For a select few it will lead somewhere someday, most of the rest probably just get sick of it and bail at some point or take a step back into a less competitive environment.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 01:50:31 PM »
I have no idea how you could compare what went on in that book with Tokoto.  Other than the fact they both played AAU ball, there isn't much comparison between between their two situations.  Tokoto played for the Playground Warriors, which is a pretty highly respected organization and Ritchie Davis is considered a good guy.

That's a great point. I coach at the sixth grade level, and some of the teams we play against play 60-80 games over the winter. Tournaments every weekend. The skill level is amazing, but that is all they (and their families) do. For a select few it will lead somewhere someday, most of the rest probably just get sick of it and bail at some point or take a step back into a less competitive environment.

I agree with you.  My oldest son played basketball through high school and low level AAU in the summers.  He would have played every day if he could have.  We knew early on that he was at best low-level D3 material so it wasn't about getting a scholarship or anything of the sort.  We supported him because he *loved* to play.

However, there is no room for late bloomers in youth basketball today.  Honestly, if you aren't plugged into the program by the time you are in 7th grade, you aren't playing for the local high school.  That's a shame.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 02:13:46 PM »
However, there is no room for late bloomers in youth basketball today.  Honestly, if you aren't plugged into the program by the time you are in 7th grade, you aren't playing for the local high school.  That's a shame.

So true, and for many other sports (baseball, vollyball, swimming, etc.).  If you're not in a select, travel, elite league by 5th grade you can forget about making your junior high or high school team.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 02:32:14 PM »
There is another interesting side result/phenomona.
When a young skilled player gets on a quality AAU team, with good skills coaching, the player/parents see the benefit and improvement.
Some are then, less patient/supportive of their local high school coach, whom thay are stuck with because of where they live. These are those we hear of that transfer schools--- we treat that as bad sign, or that the player is a possible "coachable" problem-- it may be the opposite.
It is also what gives the St anthonys and Oak hill's an advantage---HS play, but with program/coaching reputations that enhance the prospects chances.
Is AAU good/bad?
Its here to stay, for so long as high schools require a coach have a degree in education, the AAU remains the sole outlet for non degreed ballers, to "coach up" kids on their skills. As a non profit, the AAU programs have learned how to raise good $ from athletic wear companies, and to support the travel, and the baller coaches. ....and where money raising is integral to operations, the likelihood for $ graft, or NCAA violations increases.
Sadly, the NCAA and AAU have hardly ever gotten together on anything, in any sport, for ages.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 02:38:58 PM »
Part of the problem is that AAU filled a hole because high school associations over-legislated their own sports.  My son was only supposed to have five "contact days" in the off-season from his varsity coach. 

How quaint.  So he goes to the week long basketball camp and then???  Well, something has to fill the hole right if he wants to play over the summer.  And of course, the high school coach wants him to play over the summer too right?  So the high school coach gets a former player to start up an AAU team.

groove

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 02:43:09 PM »
Does anyone ever get together and just play pickup games?  Or would that be too much fun. I know it's the same with other sports too. My daughter is on a tennis. Rarely do they play on their own for the fun of it

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 02:46:12 PM »
Groove, I think kids have gotten too used to having adults set up their play time for them.

groove

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 02:53:52 PM »
Yeah I think u are right. I think kids are being forced to pick one sport early also. He'll during the summer I remember playing three different sports in one day

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 03:34:01 PM »
My 6th grader still plays pickup basketball on the playground or in the driveway whenever the neighborhood kids get together.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

groove

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 03:38:37 PM »
My 6th grader still plays pickup basketball on the playground or in the driveway whenever the neighborhood kids get together.

cool. i guess with neighborhoods more spread out, it becomes more difficult also.

TillysDad

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 04:04:38 PM »
I have no idea how you could compare what went on in that book with Tokoto.  Other than the fact they both played AAU ball, there isn't much comparison between between their two situations.  Tokoto played for the Playground Warriors, which is a pretty highly respected organization and Ritchie Davis is considered a good guy.

Not assuming it is like the book for Tokoto, from various reports it seems that he parents are involved, etc, etc...but I rather am alluding to the fact that many young talented recruits today are pampered too much...the 10 pm press conference....thus I believe some people around him are truly not in it for the right reasons.  Maybe I am too pessimistic but so be it
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 04:06:09 PM by TillysDad »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »
BTW, the title of the book is PLAY Their Hearts Out.. came out about 6 months ago.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 07:04:53 PM »
My 6th grader does as well. 

feedback