Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blue  (Read 6929 times)

Afroman

• All American
Blue
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:11:41 AM »
After scoring 12 points on 5-of-6 shooting in a victory over DePaul on Jan. 18, Vander Blue closed out his season by shooting a robust 16 percent from the floor (8-of-49) in his final 18 games.
He was a combined 0-for-9 in his final five games.

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Blue
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 10:14:24 AM »
Kid has got a lot to work on.   He probably will/should be a four year player.    Needs to refind a jumper.   Didn't play up to his top 40 ranking but they aren't all studs right out the chute.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 10:16:24 AM »
After scoring 12 points on 5-of-6 shooting in a victory over DePaul on Jan. 18, Vander Blue closed out his season by shooting a robust 16 percent from the floor (8-of-49) in his final 18 games.
He was a combined 0-for-9 in his final five games.

Would you rather have recruited someone else?  I don't get it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 10:24:38 AM »
Oops.    The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.    I'm trying to remember who said that........
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu2031

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 10:26:17 AM »
There is no question in my mind that Vander Blue is an exceptional basketball player (you can't just lose talent like that in one year) but I admit we haven't seen much production offensively by him this year. As many people have said, it's all mental. To me, he looks very similar to how Jimmy Butler looked in his first season--wide eyed and a little scared on the court, hoping to help his teammates that he reveres more than making waves himself. (See that SI article if you don't remember.) How many times did we watch Vander get the perfect pass but instead of shooting it he passed it? He's lost some confidence.

The question is, how do you change someone's mental approach to the game? I think the summer will be important. But in the leadership structure within the team that Buzz has created (Lazar was Jimmy's mentor, Jimmy was Van's, etc.) I think that Van having a year under his belt and showing the new guys the system will do wonders for his self confidence. Next year his role is not scared freshman. It is knowledgable sophomore. And I think he'll throw his shoulders back and embrace this role. He will now be in a place to show other people how things at Marquette are done, and younger guys will now defer to him. Trust him, pass to him, expect him to lead them. That alone, in my opinion, is going to make a huge difference.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 10:28:31 AM »
The entire VB situation (committing to UW, decommitting, getting razzed and hyped, committing to MU) really pumped up the talk and expectations for him.   Enough rating services (ESPN, Rivals, etc) saw enough talent and potential in him (high school ball, aau, camps) to rank him very highly.    That does not just happen by accident.   We expected immediate impact for those reasons and did not get it.    That does not mean it will not come in the program, by any means.   He has (by all reports) a great attitude and works his tail off.   He plays great defense and can run the court well and also rebound.   He also got tremendous experience playing a lot this year.   He will work and work and work on his game and has 3 years to turn in to the player we all hope for and expect.

Let's stop dismissing his potential and call it what it is.....a top 40 recruit had a disappointing year on offense as a freshman....wow....earth shattering.   Can't wait to see him develop at MU.  The athletic skills are more than evident.    If his entire career pans out to be what we witnessed this year....then we can chat.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 10:35:29 AM »
He probably will/should be a four year player.  
Probably?  I'd be surprised if he's even logging big time minutes by the time he's a senior. From what I saw in the very low minutes of Jamail, I think he's a better player than Blue. I don't know what goes on in practice, but continuing to give Vander minutes is the kind of thing that can backfire on a coach.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 11:19:59 AM »
Probably?  I'd be surprised if he's even logging big time minutes by the time he's a senior. From what I saw in the very low minutes of Jamail, I think he's a better player than Blue. I don't know what goes on in practice, but continuing to give Vander minutes is the kind of thing that can backfire on a coach.

I think Vander will be a stud, he has moves that are amazing. We saw one last night he just didn't convert the lay up..Going from playing a bunch of Wisconsin kids in high school that saw the kid and were in awe of him to playing UNC, and big east opponents is a huge huge jump. I love what I see in terms of athletic ability. One Knock, the biggest and most glaring is that hideous jumper, but it will get better. I am ready to say it right now "Big East Most improved player" next year will be Vander Blue, and if it's not him the winner will be in a Marquette jersey. I have no doubt about it. If it isn't Blue it will be Cadougan

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 11:54:48 AM »
By Vander's senior season he will be averaging almost 20 points and 4 boards a game, you can put that in the bank.  He has a ton of talent and we saw flashes of it.  His shot needs a lot of work, but he has a great handle, and good instincts.  During the pro-am he also showed great vision, I think as he feels confident to drive to the hoop his assists will come up as well.  I'm better but their junior years he and Ox will be a one two bunch for Marquette.  Remember Wade couldn't shoot very well at MU and we didn't see him as a freshman so we don't know if he would have struggled the same way as Van.

I think a lot of people seem to not grasp how big of a jump it is from high school to college.  I made that jump in a different sport and it is like a punch in the face your freshman year and everyone reacts differently.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 12:19:44 PM »

Anybody see what Jordan Taylor did as a freshman? You should look it up. Freshman improve.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 12:21:01 PM »
Anybody see what Jordan Taylor did as a freshman? You should look it up. Freshman improve.
This.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 12:31:17 PM »
Oops.    The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.    I'm trying to remember who said that........

But didn't he say it when freshmen were ineligible?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 12:34:27 PM »
Vander Blue is going to be a special kind of player. The kind of player that a casual fan will notice his skills. Be patient with the kid.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 12:39:27 PM »
If
By Vander's senior season he will be averaging almost 20 points and 4 boards a game, you can put that in the bank. 

+1  When the jumper comes around, just like it did for Wade, Wes, and Jerel, Vander will be lights out.  He can already get to the hoop, set up teammates, and play D very well for a freshman in the BE.

The combo of Vander-Jamail-Ox will be VERY, VERY good in a few years. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 12:44:23 PM »
But didn't he say it when freshmen were ineligible?

I don't know the date he first said it, but freshman were eligible during his coaching career at MU. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 12:45:15 PM »

Might want to check Kemba's freshman numbers, too, while you are at it. 

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 12:48:30 PM »
oh yeahh Kemba was no stud at the beginning. You just gotta look at the raw talent blue has, the athleticism is there, the speeds there. Just gotta work on the J!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 12:51:21 PM »
If
+1  When the jumper comes around, just like it did for Wade, Wes, and Jerel, Vander will be lights out.  He can already get to the hoop, set up teammates, and play D very well for a freshman in the BE.

The combo of Vander-Jamail-Ox will be VERY, VERY good in a few years. 

Don't forget Jamil as well.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 01:13:58 PM »
I don't know the date he first said it, but freshman were eligible during his coaching career at MU. 

Not until 1972, which was Al' 8th year at MU. 

Consider the quote in this context:
Jim Chones as an frosh was is ineligible 1969-70. 
Bo Ellis as a frosh is eligible upon arrival n 73-74; ditto Butch Lee in 74-75.

It seems likely that the "best thing about freshmen . . ." comment reflected eligibility status--not their poor skills.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 01:30:40 PM »

It seems likely that the "best thing about freshmen . . ." comment reflected eligibility status--not their poor skills.

Given that Al used the line frequently during his broadcasting career, I doubt very much that's the case.

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 01:34:30 PM »
Don't forget Jamil as well.

In two years this team will be really good with Cadugan, Ox, Blue, Jamil, Otule, and Williams all being Sr. and Jr.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 01:52:47 PM »
When the other team knows you can't hit a jumper if your life depended on it, and you're still able to get by defenders every now and then and get into the lane, you are going to be something special once that jumper starts falling.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 03:45:38 PM »

I don't know the date, but having grown up watching MU and Al, I do not believe it had anything to do with eligibility status and everything to do with their maturity and development.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 03:48:31 PM »

No way

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 06:09:28 PM »
Vander Blue has great potential.  But, let's be honest.  He is a project.  He needs to work on his offensive game.  Blue has little confidence in his ability to score; whether by lay up, mid-range or outside shooting.  Somewhere after his junior year in high school his offensive ability was lost.  At this point, he is not a potential NBA player.  He needs to learn how to shoot and how to play with confidence.  His shooting mechanics are awful.  I think he can be a great player.  This off season will be critical for him to improve his offensive game so he can become a complete player instead of just a role player on defense.