'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: "Getting Better"  (Read 1407 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
"Getting Better"
« on: March 16, 2007, 10:18:13 AM »
I am a big fan of Coach Crean, but I have to admit I am a bit more disappointed after last night than I thought I would be (I thought they were going to lose, but not like that).

I've never been a big believer in the "March fade" theory as it relates to MU's teams. If you have to qualify that charge by saying "with the exception of '03" I think it loses  its teeth. Nor have I ever really bought into the "practices are too long/too physical" stuff. However, after the last 3 games coupled with last season and our lack of post season success, even as a Tom Crean fan, I am wavering a bit on each of them. I think it is acceptable to question star players going out with what I assume is actually a broken wrist (I am no orthopedist, but that was an awfully big piece of hardware for a 2 week old sprained thumb) suffered in practice late in the season 2 out of 3 years. Likewise, I think it is fair to question a coach on consistently poor BET performances and why MU was late for their opening round NCAA game in 2 consecutive seasons.

There are obviously many areas for blame with problems, as well as many areas for credit for the successes, and Coach Crean certainly has his share of each. He always talks about players needing to get better at this, that and the other. I would like to hear his thoughts on what he thinks he needs to get better at as a coach. I have some ideas, but not being there every day, I have no idea if they're right. Fact is, this is still his first and only job, and he is still I suppose somewhat inexperienced. I would just like to hear Rosiak or somebody ask him for comments on what improvement opportunities he sees for himself and his staff. I think it would be interesting to bounce his response off of our individual perceptions of his positives and negatives.

chapman

• All American
Re: "Getting Better"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 12:10:40 PM »
Maybe he could have an offense that doesn't involve the point guard directing players while dribbling 30 feet from the basket for 20 seconds?  Look at the other tournament teams; even the teams that like to milk the shot clock have movement that isn't inspired by the point guard's hand waving them around.  I would really like to see Crean learn new half court offensive schemes, because when we're not scoring it just doesn't look like there's any clue on offense.  Many times this year the half court offense would become Jerel McNeal relentlessly driving and having some success, but at times not even he could carry it.

I don't see why we don't run a motion offense next year.  We will have depth if it fatigues players more.  Barro already runs the floor well and the new bigs are supposedly athletic so it would suit them better than running up top to screen once in a while and having no offensive dimension.  It would also help the guards get freed up to get them open looks and not force them to desperately drive or chuck up 3s.  Some things we do are already set within a motion offense, but the standing around aspect that happens most isn't.  I think it would result in a few more turnovers in the beginning of the season because of the more aggressive style of play but it would end up being more successful.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: "Getting Better"
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 12:17:12 PM »
Maybe he could have an offense that doesn't involve the point guard directing players while dribbling 30 feet from the basket for 20 seconds?

losing mcneal was huge in this regard.  James and McNeal are the only 2 guys on the roster who can penetrate, and they fed off of each other's aggressiveness in many games this year......absent one of them, MU becomes and east/west offense.  the injury was huge.  Adding Acker will be a big boost to this team