Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Time For Crean to Move Upstairs  (Read 3418 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Time For Crean to Move Upstairs
« on: March 15, 2007, 10:09:32 PM »
I like Tom Crean and everything he has done for MU. His passion and love for the school and the basketball program are unparalleled. His accomplishments stand only second to Al in what he has meant for this program.

It's a tad radical, but I think Crean should become the MU AD. He's by no stretch a terrible basketball coach, and MU could do FAR WORSE than him obviously. That said, his team's lack of preparation (sans Wade) in the post season is alarming.

-Tulsa
-Holy Cross (anyone that watched this game knows MU should have lost, and only won in the final minutes based on being overly talented against HC)
-Alabama
-Michigan State
-TCU
-TCU
-Georgetown
-UAB
-Western Michigan

Where there's smoke, there's fire. The common element of most of these games is MU lacking any type of offensive mindset at all. It's VERY alarming that a team with SO MANY offensive sets can be so utterly lacking on the offensive end in these games. To be honest, I wasn't shocked at all tonight when we were down 14-0. It was similar to watching any of those games above.

These are 7 postseason games over the last 5 years, and while no coach can or should be expected to be perfect, the way in which Marquette lost these games is an obvious trend, and the man at the helm must be held responsible.

Who should come in and coach? I don't have a good answer. The quality of play combined with the assistants leaving and the players transferring doesn't seem like a great sign to me.

Again though, what Crean has brought to Marquette will not and should never be dismissed. I'm only 28 years old, and I'm a bigger fan of MU today than I've ever been thanks to Crean. For him to leave MU would be a huge blow. I know the odds are slim to none, and his competitive nature would probably never allow him to be coaching, but I for one think a move up to AD would be best both for the program and the athletic department.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: Time For Crean to Move Upstairs
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 10:14:13 PM »

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 01:04:01 AM »
I'm not happy, but can we hire Mike Deane to hire and get this program back on the map?????????

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 09:13:04 AM »
I like Comic Book Guy as much as the next guy, but I'm not too sure I understand how he fits in here.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 09:21:59 AM »
I like Comic Book Guy as much as the next guy, but I'm not too sure I understand how he fits in here.

Dumbest idea ever!

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 09:28:47 AM »
Thanks for your input, good work.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 09:32:49 AM »
How would him beoming the AD accomplish anything? His contributions to things like the AL, Big East, etc. are as a result of what he has done coaching the Men's basketball team. What makes him qualified or appropriate for the AD job? Also, would hge willingly take the pay cut or are we going to have to give both our coach and our AD multi-year $1million+/year contracts?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 09:40:14 AM by NavinRJohnson »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 09:38:37 AM »
Ummmmmm, how about all the good games and success.  This thread is ludicrous.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 09:41:12 AM »
Hmm...things like getting the AL built and done and getting Marquette into a new conference...these seem like things an AD would do.

What makes him qualified to do the AD job is exactly the things he has done for the program! Like the AL, getting MU to the Big East, working on fundraising, building the brand that is Marquette basketball.

Being realistic, next season is Crean's make or break year as a coach, there's zero doubt about that. If you read my original post, I said it was a radical idea anyway. The fact is that the AD job is open, and outside of his father-in-law who is the associate AD, who else is as qualified as Crean to be the AD? For everything he has done for Marquette, I would feel confident with him in that spot.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 09:45:13 AM »
Ummmmmm, how about all the good games and success.  This thread is ludicrous.

Yep, that makes him a great coach, but how does that translate to teh AD's job? He runs one program and does a damn good job of it - so somehow that makes him an AD. I do a pretty good job as a Sales rep and make a solid contribution to the company, but of course I have my weaknesses. Should my company elevate me to Sales Director as a means of addressing those weaknesses?

You're right that this thread is ludicrous though.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 10:01:22 AM »
I'll argue with you that he's a great coach. He's a good coach. If he was a great coach, his butt wouldn't be on the line next season.

Just out of curiosity, who do you think would make the best AD for Marquette? It's cool to say "dumbest post ever" and "this thread is ludicrous", so throw some names out there that fit.

ilovefreeway

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 10:12:57 AM »
I'll argue with you that he's a great coach. He's a good coach. If he was a great coach, his butt wouldn't be on the line next season.

Just out of curiosity, who do you think would make the best AD for Marquette? It's cool to say "dumbest post ever" and "this thread is ludicrous", so throw some names out there that fit.

His butt isn't on the line next year and neither should it be.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 10:34:24 AM »

First of all, his butt is nowhere near on the line.

Second, you brought up the AD, I don't have the first clue who the AD should be, nor do really care all that much. My argument is not as to who the AD should be, but rather who the coach should be. All of the stuff you cite that MU has been able to do (I think Cords and Wilde might deserve just a wee bit of credit here as well), are as a direct result of their success on the floor. You are proposing taking Crean out of that coach/face of the program roll, and moving him to an administrative position. If you think he will have the same impact in that roll as he does as coach you are fooling yourself.

I never said I thought I thought he would necessarily be a bad AD (although he probably would be - coaches are psychos and a psycho probably wouldn't make a great AD), or that I knew of someone better. You however suggested he become the AD because you believe he should no longer be the coach. So fine Crean's the AD, give me the names of the new coach that's going to erase the issues you see.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 10:43:40 AM »
MU got rid of Deane after he won 100 games in 5 years because they realized Deane couldn't take MU to the next level.

They made a great choice, and Crean has taken us to that next level. 

Hell, he's taken us up 27 levels.

We're currently at the level where we can make the NCAAs each year, 4 of our last 6.  The next level is WINNING an NCAA game in March.   Had Travis not gone nuts to win the game vs. Holy Cross in 2003, we would be sitting on zero NCAA wins in the Crean era. 

We need to make it to the next level of winning "a" game.  Soon.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 10:48:13 AM »
If we go one and done next year, in year 3 of McNeal, Matthews and James, you don't think he's in trouble? It'd then be 5 years since the Final 4 with ZERO NCAA victories. If at this time a year from now, we're on this board discussing our loss again in the first round of the tournament, you're absolutely kidding yourself if you don't think there's going to be trouble.

You don't care who the AD is? You yourself just cited Cords as a factor in Crean's success! It's fine if you don't care, but then don't credit the current AD and say that you don't care.

Again, if you read my original post, I like Crean. His team's offensive tendencies aren't very good. Once again, you yourself discussed this in a thread below! Why do you contradict yourself??? You say that he is young and has to get better. Obviously he has to get better, but it's not like he's only been a coach for three years. He's been here since '99.

It's okay to agree that this is a radical idea, because that is what it is. I agree there is no way MU would pay another coach anywhere near what Crean is making if he was the AD.

My guy...Chris Lowery.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 12:12:04 PM »
Lowery is coaching for his alma mater...i doubt he'd leave. and i'm happy with Crean for the next few years barring a serious break down.