[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: i don't believe buzz is all about $$; he's the real deal  (Read 6128 times)

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
i don't believe buzz is all about $$; he's the real deal
« on: March 19, 2011, 12:14:49 PM »
sure everyone likes to have a few dollars in their pocket and feel secure, but buzz is about more than that.  when you hear him talk-let's take the televangelists out of the picture-buzzz is the real deal.  he walks the walk.  in buzz we believe. think about out all the people tom crean could have brought over to MU as his assistant coach(es).  buzz is truely greatfull-read the lives of eternal assistant coaches traveling from team to team with macdonalds money in their pockets.  buzz needs to have more than X's and O's, more than bouncing balls and sweaty men swishing shots.  he believes in a life style, a thought process and a true belief in the BIG GUY upstairs.  when all those things come together, ya win!! no matter what. i believe buzz thinks he was brought here for a reason.  when buzz feels he doesn't have that here, he will entertain options where he feels he can get that...until now, i believe he feels that MARQUETTE is the best place he can achieve his "goals".  just in case, if i were (pardon my ignorance on who is taking fr. wilds position), i would be re-writing a contract in my sleep loaded with more $$ and incentives, and maybe even entertain the possibiity of buzz giving a lecture a week in the AL on lifes ups and downs-he would fill it up and then some-be/cause of buzz we believe

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: i don't believe buzz is all about $$; he's the real deal
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 12:22:10 PM »
I believe Buzz believes in capitalizing the first letter in all sentences. 

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 12:26:31 PM »
Hahahahaha. Agreed with above post. Both actually.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 12:37:37 PM »
yeah, all that, but all coaches have that gringin thing.  buzz has some religion about him, spirituality from the heart AND winning and developing good people and developing good basketball people. it's a win win win, and that's what our jumpin jesuits want. that's what the MU nation wants

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 12:40:15 PM »
yeah, all that, but all coaches have that gringin thing.  buzz has some religion about him, spirituality from the heart AND winning and developing good people and developing good basketball people. it's a win win win, and that's what our jumpin jesuits want. that's what the MU nation wants

+1

I have the same feelings about Buzz.  His personality and beliefs fit with Marquette's mission surprisingly well. 

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 12:45:54 PM »
Chicos post went right over your head and into the bleachers my good man.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 12:58:06 PM »
Chicos post went right over your head and into the bleachers my good man.

sorry sparky, that was a broken bat can of corn snagged by the ss barely to the outfield grass for the 3rd out in the bottom of the 9th ;)

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 01:09:35 PM »
1. I was only implying that chicos comment in no way shape or form had anything to do with the premise of your post. Only the grammatical shortcomings of no capital letters.

2. I wasn't knocking you at all either. I actually agreed with your post but thought his was funny and also funny that your post after his had nothing to do with what he said.

3. I wasn't talking about baseball anyways. Not baseball season.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 01:11:42 PM »
3. I wasn't talking about baseball anyways. Not baseball season.

Anyways is not a word.  It is baseball season.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 01:12:55 PM »
raarrr!!  you ladies need to get your claws clamped.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 01:13:58 PM »
Ok. I ain't the smartest of em all. That better?

It's still basketball season in my book. Relax.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 01:19:16 PM »
Anyways is not a word.  It is baseball season.

I think baseball season started in Minnesota a few weeks into the NFL season. ;)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 02:15:46 PM »
I believe Buzz believes in capitalizing the first letter in all sentences. 

i only capitalie important sh!t=poor mans typing
hope there isn't an grinding goin on except behind closed doors

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 02:49:57 PM »
Santa Claus and the Easter bunny come to your digs too?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 03:27:37 PM »
Buzz now has more NCAA tourney wins without Wade than Crean had without Wade.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 03:33:18 PM »
Buzz now has more NCAA tourney wins without Wade than Crean had without Wade.

Aren't you glad Crean won the lottery that allowed us to get Wade handed to us?

This is also Buzz's first win in the NCAA's without Crean's players

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 03:37:48 PM »
So Buzz won as many games with Crean's players (sans Wade) as Crean did.     Thanks, chico, I lobbed that one out there for you and you didn't disappoint. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 03:53:45 PM »
So Buzz won as many games with Crean's players (sans Wade) as Crean did.     Thanks, chico, I lobbed that one out there for you and you didn't disappoint.  

Since Fulce and Otule signed while Crean was coach...he's still using Crean's players.   ;D
http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111507aac.html

For the life of me I can't understand you people with this Wade stuff.  How many wins did Dean Smith have in the NCAAs with teams that didn't have NBA players on them?  John Wooden?  John Thompson?  Digger Phelps?  This just in...really good players help coaches win games, and a lot of them.

Who is responsible for GETTING the players?  The coach is.  So why is it that Crean got Wade and that's held against him?  I get the hatred, really I do, but I don't see you or the other haters here applying this same logic of hatred to other teams with their stars and the coaches that secured their services.  Never quite understood this.  

I'm off to a Little League double header but I'm sure there will be a reply that can wrap that all up in a little bow (hint...I prefer PRN's honest answer...he was an pretty boy so logic doesn't apply, we just hate his guts so we use a different standard...that's the appropriate answer it seems to me)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:07:02 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 03:58:05 PM »
I agree that Crean deserves the credit with Wade.   Convincing admin to take on this partial qualifier was the best move of his career.    And I give Crean full credit for shepherding us into the BEast and 190 wins in 9 years.    But in the other 8 years, including one with Wade, he won 1 tourney game.   That isn't hating on him, that just is what it is.  If Buzz stays, and only wins one more tourney game in the next 8 years, will you be defending him?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 04:03:39 PM »
I agree that Crean deserves the credit with Wade.   Convincing admin to take on this partial qualifier was the best move of his career.    And I give Crean full credit for shepherding us into the BEast and 190 wins in 9 years.    But in the other 8 years, including one with Wade, he won 1 tourney game.   That isn't hating on him, that just is what it is.  If Buzz stays, and only wins one more tourney game in the next 8 years, will you be defending him?

Buzz started with a much different circumstance.

Al McGuire Center (Buzz) vs the Old Gym (Crean)
Big East his entire career (Buzz) vs CUSA then Big East (Crean)
NCAA inherited team 3 straight years and 4 top 10 scorers all time (Buzz) vs team didn't even make NIT (Crean)
Etc, etc

Considering what Buzz has been given and what Crean had to deal with, totally different starting points, totally different ability to get players early in the process...one started near scratch the other started with the train roaring down the tracks.

I've said time and again if Buzz can duplicate what Crean did...graduate kids, be competitive and finish in the upper half of the Big East (which he didn't this year, by the way...Crean always did), no NCAA issues with penalties, no police blotter issues...I would be happy.  I'm not going to change that now.  So far so good.  We'll see if Buzz stays 9 years, that's another way I'll measure him...just how LOYAL is he considering where he was in his career and what MU (and ironically, Tom Crean) did for him to get this gift

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 04:07:46 PM »
Who is responsible for GETTING the players?  The coach is.  So why is it that Crean got Wade and that's held against him? 

Crean deserves credit for landing Wade, but it's also naive not to recognize there was quite a bit of good fortune involved.

Lucky break #1: Crean's first choice for SG in the class of 2000, Desmon Farmer, chooses USC over Marquette. Had Farmer chosen otherwise, Wade ends up at Illinois State, Bradley or maybe even JUCO.

Lucky break #2: Wade's academic struggles, along with his low profile on the national scene, keep more major players from recruiting him.

Lucky break #3: Wade's first choice, DePaul, decides to take Imari Sawyer and Andre Brown with its two scholarships that year. At the time, it looks like the obvious choice for Kennedy. Things don't always work out that way, fortunately for MU.

This isn't intended as a knock on Crean. I'm sure just about every coach at every school probably has had similar situations work out to their favor. Heck, Jeremy Lamb supposedly wanted to come to MU. That's a big win for UConn. Maybe the Blue/Gasser situation works out for Bo.
At the same time, we shouldn't pretend that Crean uniquely identified Wade's talent before anyone else or he beat out a bunch of big-time schools to land him.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 04:56:03 PM »
Aren't you glad Crean won the lottery that allowed us to get Wade handed to us?

This is also Buzz's first win in the NCAA's without Crean's players

See the sad thing is you make a snarky little comment like this to backswipe Buzz.  I am sure you will show all kinds of whining about how unfairly that comment was of you.  Yes, you and your ways are SOOOO misunderstood.  Well, captain obvious, yes it was IMPOSSIBLE to win without creans guy's the first two years.  Kind of an indictment of crean's recruiting, too, though as in year 3 the cupboard was bare.

Interesting that Buzz had as many wins in 2 years, post DWade in the NCAA with creans players as crean did in 5.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 07:04:10 PM »
See the sad thing is you make a snarky little comment like this to backswipe Buzz.  I am sure you will show all kinds of whining about how unfairly that comment was of you.  Yes, you and your ways are SOOOO misunderstood.  Well, captain obvious, yes it was IMPOSSIBLE to win without creans guy's the first two years.  Kind of an indictment of crean's recruiting, too, though as in year 3 the cupboard was bare.

Interesting that Buzz had as many wins in 2 years, post DWade in the NCAA with creans players as crean did in 5.

In my mind, as soon as Buzz replaced the two open scholarships on the roster (with Butler and McMorrow) which filled all 13 available scholarships, the cupboard was no longer bare. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 07:08:21 PM »
Considering what Buzz has been given and what Crean had to deal with, totally different starting points, totally different ability to get players early in the process...one started near scratch the other started with the train roaring down the tracks.

I've said time and again if Buzz can duplicate what Crean did...graduate kids, be competitive and finish in the upper half of the Big East (which he didn't this year, by the way...Crean always did), no NCAA issues with penalties, no police blotter issues...I would be happy.  I'm not going to change that now.  So far so good.  We'll see if Buzz stays 9 years, that's another way I'll measure him...just how LOYAL is he considering where he was in his career and what MU (and ironically, Tom Crean) did for him to get this gift
Another misleading and half-truthful post to take a swipe at Buzz.  While Crean always finished in the upper half of the Big East, he failed to finish in the upper half of CUSA at least twice, which happened to be the two years after the Final 4...the last two years before MU moved to the Big East.  It seems if ever there were a train roaring down the tracks it would be after a Final 4 run...no?  Yet Crean failed to finish in the upper half of a much weaker league.  Twice.

Since Mr. Crean had all his own players at that time, fresh off a Final 4 run, with two future NBA players on his squad how is it possible that he screwed it up so badly?  And how is it possible that you were happy with that?  

Are we now re-writing history to put Buzz in a bad light compared to your pal Tommy?

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
In my mind, as soon as Buzz replaced the two open scholarships on the roster (with Butler and McMorrow) which filled all 13 available scholarships, the cupboard was no longer bare. 

I agree with your comment.  That, though, was not what my post responded to.  The "Crean" cupboard was bare.

feedback