[Today at 07:53:17 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I think Cottingham should tell Buzz to take a hike...  (Read 23909 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: I think Cottingham should tell Buzz to take a hike...
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 08:55:29 PM »
Buzz was a very hot commodity in the coaching business when C-ham hired him.  He earned a lot of respect among knowledgeable basketball people, no the average stiff might not know what he was all about.  I'd say Cottinham's hire has been rather successful  to this point, so I'm not sure why you're taking shots at Cottingham.  If anything he's proven he knows a hell of a lot more than you or me.  

He was a very hot commodity?  Not as a head coach he wasn't.  Asst Coach, yes, but not at that time as a head coach.  If he didn't get the MU job he was off to Indiana to be an asst with Crean.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 08:59:51 PM »
Is it just me, or is it ridiculous how many people claim to know what Buzz is thinking.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 09:00:33 PM »
He was known by many a AD and the word about Buzz's work ethic and recruiting really impressed many people in the know.   I had heard glowing things about Buzz way back when he was an assistant to Gillispie.  His name was getting around a lot, just cause you fellas never heard of him doesn't mean respectable coaches like your boy Crean weren't eager to hire him, they were.  Be it Crean or Gillispie. ...and Cottingham was eager to hire him too after viewing his work ethic and recruiting skills in person.  It worked for Xavier with Sean Miller, Pitt with Jamie Dixon, if you've got a guy who you think is special as an assistant why not make that hire?

And what do you know he was right in who he wanted and you were wrong.  Not really a surprise because he's much more in a position of knowledge than any of us are.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:08:54 PM by Stone Cold »

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 09:06:01 PM »
Man, some of you here may as well hope for Marquette basketball to be extremely mediocre or even suck because regardless if Buzz ends up staying/going, odds are that whoever replaces him will also have other programs sniffing around him if that guy makes regular appearances to the NCAA Tournament along with not having off the court problems.

That guy likely would then give the same avoidance type of answers that both O'Neill and Crean gave when their names would pop up in the media over job openings linking them to, and now Buzz has.

If in turn our AD demanded an immediate promise to stay or else you're fired edict each time the media said other schools were interested in our coach, good luck trying to keep anyone here that actually wins games. May as well instead look to find the next Mike Dean who can be mediocre enough to sell tickets, but not be good enough to ever generate the interest from other schools looking for a new coach. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 09:08:15 PM »
This is a business.  You guys take coaches too seriously, 95% of these guys sold their soul when they had to start recruiting.   If he leaves for another job I won't think ill of him but then again I never put him up on a moral pedestal just because he claims morality and honesty.   You guys need to stop viewing coaches like they're priests or something.    Always just look at the actions.  Words are cheap.
I know many ethical people in business that don't lie.  I would never compare my position to Buzz's position, but when I get asked by my board if I'm staying, I certainly don't lie, and I've never said anything like "I'll stay as long as you'll have me" because I'd be full of $hit.  I don't want to hear about Buzz's Sunday night life lessons if he's teaching kids that in "business" anything goes to make a $.  

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 09:14:19 PM »
Man, some of you here may as well hope for Marquette basketball to be extremely mediocre or even suck because regardless if Buzz ends up staying/going, odds are that whoever replaces him will also have other programs sniffing around him if that guy makes regular appearances to the NCAA Tournament along with not having off the court problems.

That guy likely would then give the same avoidance type of answers that both O'Neill and Crean gave when their names would pop up in the media over job openings linking them to, and now Buzz has.

If in turn our AD demanded an immediate promise to stay or else you're fired edict each time the media said other schools were interested in our coach, good luck trying to keep anyone here that actually wins games. May as well instead look to find the next Mike Dean who can be mediocre enough to sell tickets, but not be good enough to ever generate the interest from other schools looking for a new coach. 

My thoughts exactly. If Buzz is getting looked at it is a good thing

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 09:19:10 PM »
I read it as classic Buzz.... "I've been totally open and honest with your for 3 years, I've said I'm staying here as long as you want me, this is annoying as all hell to have to respond to year after year and I'm not going to say something just to satisfy all the message board coaches on MuScoop. The people that need to know (recruits, players, family), and those who trust me know I'm staying put because I've given them everything I have for 3 years showing I love it here."

That could be just the optimist in me and I reserve the right to change my view of what he said.

I don't recall, did the Administration demonstrate any reciprocity by responding, "Buzz, since you've stated this level of commitment to us, we will publicly state that we will retain you as head coach for as long as you want to be our head coach."  No!?!  So why are so many of you holding him to this statement so literally?

MikeyT42

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 09:22:17 PM »
Can someone coherently tell me why everyone is hitting the panic button.

There is a basketball game to focus on. We are playing in the NCAA's. Where would you want this program to be?

To hell is Katz Gottlieb and Parrish, they want you to read an article.

And why would Cottingham fire Buzz because people are interested in talking to him?

Relax

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 09:23:25 PM »

There is a basketball game to focus on. We are playing in the NCAA's. Where would you want this program to be?

To hell with Katz, Gottlieb and Parrish, they want you to read an article.

And why would Cottingham fire Buzz because people are interested in talking to him?

Relax

+1, well said

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2011, 09:24:14 PM »

Honestly, I'm gone from here for a few hours, and I come back to this...  Panic is the right word.  People need to calm down here.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 09:29:05 PM »
He was known by many a AD and the word about Buzz's work ethic and recruiting really impressed many people in the know.

True dat. UCONN's AD, Jeffrey A. Hathaway, was Buzz's AD at CSU. Cot did his homework.

Money will not be an issue for MU. Opportunity will, including the family. Why would Buzz comment on jobs not even offered yet? If you listen to the gossip, it is these guys speculating. It is Tubby one hour, Anderson the next, Buzz the next. Throw in Pitino, Brey and a few others. Goldman is closest to Buzz and he qualifies his spec on Buzz.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 09:41:22 PM »

Not panicking, but I think it boils down to this.

Two of his friends in the national media are floating his name out there. He's sidestepping the issue, which is a distinct change in tone from "I'll be here as long as they'll have me." Throw in a dash of burned three years ago and that is what is causing it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2011, 09:42:32 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hfYJsQAhl0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5hfYJsQAhl0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011, 09:52:42 PM »
True dat. UCONN's AD, Jeffrey A. Hathaway, was Buzz's AD at CSU. Cot did his homework.

Money will not be an issue for MU. Opportunity will, including the family. Why would Buzz comment on jobs not even offered yet? If you listen to the gossip, it is these guys speculating. It is Tubby one hour, Anderson the next, Buzz the next. Throw in Pitino, Brey and a few others. Goldman is closest to Buzz and he qualifies his spec on Buzz.

There's a difference between AD's knowing who he was and ready to hire him as the head coach that year.  Some  AD's, one of which is a dear friend of mine in Texas, were surprised to see Buzz hired at MU so quickly.  Some even shocked.  That doesn't mean they didn't respect him or think he could do the job, but they didn't think the timing would happen the way it did at a high major.

A number of elite basketball writers said the same thing.  Let's not confuse knowing who a good recruiting asst coach was to handing over the keys to a major program.  There's a reason Buzz started at UNO.

Take a trip down memory lane with articles by Seth Davis, Luke Winn, Mike DeCourcey, Andy Katz, etc on the hire.  Almost universal agreement that it was a risky hire, even a "surprising" hire.

groove

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »
Not panicking, but I think it boils down to this.

Two of his friends in the national media are floating his name out there. He's sidestepping the issue, which is a distinct change in tone from "I'll be here as long as they'll have me." Throw in a dash of burned three years ago and that is what is causing it.

yeah got to hand it to him. He has put himself in a pretty position even though his record has declined each year as he moves further away from the crean players and has to depend more and more on his own players. Well played.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2011, 10:17:03 PM »
There's a difference between AD's knowing who he was and ready to hire him as the head coach that year.  Some  AD's, one of which is a dear friend of mine in Texas, were surprised to see Buzz hired at MU so quickly.  Some even shocked.  That doesn't mean they didn't respect him or think he could do the job, but they didn't think the timing would happen the way it did at a high major.

A number of elite basketball writers said the same thing.  Let's not confuse knowing who a good recruiting asst coach was to handing over the keys to a major program.  There's a reason Buzz started at UNO.

Take a trip down memory lane with articles by Seth Davis, Luke Winn, Mike DeCourcey, Andy Katz, etc on the hire.  Almost universal agreement that it was a risky hire, even a "surprising" hire.

Maybe the AD who was his boss at CSU knew a little more about him than your friend at Houston...especially since Cottingham works with him in the BE?  And many of those same hoops quipsters are hawking him three short seasons later. They are sure the ultimate insiders...what is their track record on all their internet gossip?

dtdream

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2011, 10:17:31 PM »
before Friday's game if he is not committed to sticking around.  Enough of this tip-toeing around the issue. It's a major distraction.  MU pours more money into their basketball program than any in the Big East...that's what you call committment, if Buzz can't shut everyone up by saying that he is here for the long term then Mr. C. should pull the plug now.  I am sick of this BS.  What else do you want Buzz?   One thing is for certain another coach wouldn't blow an 18 point lead with under 6 to play. 

I am sorry...every year I get excited for the NCAA's only to have it tempered by a coach putting feelers out for his next job rather than getting his team ready to play.     

Dumbest post! You should take a hike!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Jeff
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2011, 10:20:35 PM »
Maybe the AD who was his boss at CSU knew a little more about him than your friend at Houston...especially since Cottingham works with him in the BE?  And many of those same hoops quipsters are hawking him three short seasons later. They are sure the ultimate insiders...what is their track record on all their internet gossip?

One of those four is "hawking" him, but I wouldn't even say that if you read Katz's articles, he's hardly hawking anyone.  The "hawkers" are those that are saying coach X would be perfect at destination Y.

There's a difference between reporting rumors and hawking someone for a job.

Again, I hope Buzz is here for a long time. Means stability for the program.  If he leaves, well we'll know that "I'll be here for as long at MU will have me" is just crap and example number 10000 of coach speak by all these coaches.

I don't know if I would put a lot of stock in Jeff Hathaway, UCONN's AD....we're not talking about the cleanest program around.  Their football coach, Edsall, recently left was not exactly endearing to Mr. Hathaway either. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:30:16 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2011, 10:23:05 PM »
Maybe Buzz just wants to strengthen his contract extension negotiating position...

Can we get back to the game...I mean the basketball game!!!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2011, 10:27:49 PM »
One of those four is "hawking" him, but I wouldn't even say that if you read Katz's articles, he's hardly hawking anyone.  The "hawkers" are those that are saying coach X would be perfect at destination Y.

There's a difference between reporting rumors and hawking someone for a job.

Again, I hope Buzz is here for a long time. Means stability for the program.  If he leaves, well we'll know that "I'll be here for as long at MU will have me" is just crap and example number 10000 of coach speak by all these coaches.

If you count your "etc.", three are hawking him. What is any of their track records on coaching gossip?  I am guessing that Albert the Alley Cat had a better record predicting the weather.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2011, 10:32:15 PM »
If you count your "etc.", three are hawking him. What is any of their track records on coaching gossip?  I am guessing that Albert the Alley Cat had a better record predicting the weather.

I don't believe those other two that you are mentioning had anything to say about Buzz hiring 3 years ago.

I have no idea on what their track record is on the internet rumors.  I'd rather read their viewpoints post coaching changes than chasing down the rumors, which is all this stuff is at this point.

Hope he stays.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2011, 10:40:54 PM »
The only thing that puzzles me is WHY BUZZ?!?  Love the guy but he hasn't done ANYTHING.  There are plenty of mid major coaches that have more experience and have accomplished more.  Not sure he won't be there some day but why are teams clawing from him now.  What about Brey?  Guy from Butler?  Nova and Pitt?  Honestly, I am pretty sure Buzz makes decent coin from MU.  I can't imagine someone offering him more based on his resume.  The only way I see him bouncing is for a dream job.  And I think that's Texas. 

Even if he left for dream job or money, I would have no issue with it.  Just do it the right way.  Keep your players and MU in the loop.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2011, 11:18:28 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hfYJsQAhl0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5hfYJsQAhl0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

That is awesome

I wish i had known about that youtube clip last year when on this Packers forum i go to, a bunch of the posters half way through the season were trying to tell everyone else with a brain that the Packers needed to fire McCarthy if they ever wanted to get to the playoffs and win a Super Bowl.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2011, 11:24:38 PM »
The only thing that puzzles me is WHY BUZZ?!?  Love the guy but he hasn't done ANYTHING.  There are plenty of mid major coaches that have more experience and have accomplished more.  Not sure he won't be there some day but why are teams clawing from him now.  What about Brey?  Guy from Butler?  Nova and Pitt?  Honestly, I am pretty sure Buzz makes decent coin from MU.  I can't imagine someone offering him more based on his resume.  The only way I see him bouncing is for a dream job.  And I think that's Texas. 

Even if he left for dream job or money, I would have no issue with it.  Just do it the right way.  Keep your players and MU in the loop.
Buzz wont leave. He has built a family. However, he would be stupid to not leverage this for more money.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2011, 11:34:48 PM »
I am not even going to read this topic because it is so idiotic.

He's currently the coach of the Marquette Warriors, if he isn't the coach next year so be it.  I am pretty sure he is more focused on Xavier than phone calls from the south.

feedback