Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Garry Parrish says Buzz will take either OU or Ark job  (Read 25508 times)

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
Garry Parrish says Buzz will take either OU or Ark job
« on: March 15, 2011, 06:23:42 PM »
Here's the interview Parrish did with an Arkansas radio station.

http://www.sportstalkwithbo.com/site/content/view/892/34/

It's about 13 minutes long. Worth a listen. Also, just looking around on that site I listened to their interview with Jimmy Dykes and he says Arkansas is way behind on having an adequate bball practice facillity. I was surprised about that.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:25:16 PM by Doris Burkes Thong »

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Garry Parrish says Buzz will take either OU or Ark job
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 06:37:06 PM »
Not buying it. I understand Arkansas has dumped each of their last two coaches after about 4 years.

I did not take Oklahoma long to dump Capel, two years after going to the elite 8.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 06:47:52 PM »
I did not take Oklahoma long to dump Capel, two years after going to the elite 8.

not to mention OU basketball's consistent issues with the NCAA

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 06:50:25 PM »
After listening to the interview, I thought Buzz openly stated he felt New Orleans did not offer enough support to the Basketball program and thats why he left?  Parrish made it seem like it was only the city that wasn't a good situation and the University had nothing to do with it. 

[Mu]EngiNerd

• Starter
  • BS08 MS10
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 06:52:18 PM »
Wow... I wonder how all of this news will effect the players...

I just wonder if the players would ask him about this during the week, any thoughts?
One Nerd to Rule them All - Bears - Blackhawks - Bulls - Cubs - Golden Eagles

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 06:56:26 PM »
He also said that the Cincy job would be a step up from MU, lost a ton of credibility with that comment

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 06:59:41 PM »
Even if Buzz doesn't take the Arkansas or OU job, the damage is done in terms of his longetivity at Marquette..imo.  Every year he will be rumored for the next "big" job that comes up, which I'm in the minority that believes this isn't a good thing for your program.  Negative recruiting, constant distractions, more painting Marquette as a stepping stone school not a destination job..etc.   This isn't about the success he had with Marquette that's making him attractive.  This is all about Buzz's reputation across the coaching circles.   Tough loss, would have liked to see him here for at least 8 years.  

ken8406

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 07:00:18 PM »
From ESPN

Jeff Goodman of FoxSports.com expects OU to take a hard look at Marquette's Buzz Williams (whose name has been mentioned in connection with the Arkansas and Texas Tech openings). However, we are hesitant about this name; Williams has the connections to Texas, Oklahoma and the rest of the southwest region but has made major headway at Marquette (and has a very strong recruiting class). Combined with the returning players, there seems to be a better chance that Williams stays in Milwaukee.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 07:07:05 PM »
It is these guy's job to stir the pot and guess so that when gets it right, they get to say that they knew first.

He'll be staying.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 07:08:05 PM »
GP and Goodman are Buzz's guys. This has some merit.

Unlike last time, I'm not too concerned if he leaves.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 07:09:38 PM »
Have you guys ever seen this guy?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 07:10:23 PM »
GP and Goodman are Buzz's guys. This has some merit.

Unlike last time, I'm not too concerned if he leaves.

Wait, are you saying he is floating his name out to reporters....

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 07:11:26 PM »
I'm new to the boards. I was just wondering if people get nervous every time a coaching job opens, or if i should be legitimately scared we will have yet another coach bail on us? There seems to be a lot of talk and i just want to know if this happens a lot.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 07:11:50 PM »
Is there any way MU restructures Buzz's contract after this season with a large buyout to help with the being called as the next coach a handful of times each year?

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 07:12:49 PM »
Wait, are you saying he is floating his name out to reporters....

Wait, are you making another ad naseum statement to prove a point from some argument that has its roots back in the Commodore 64 era?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 07:17:16 PM »
The way I look at it wither Buzz is a man of his words or he isn't. He said he would stay at MU as long as they want him. Which is either true or he is not a man of his word. The Newbill situation without knowing the real facts bothers me and is an indication he would back out of a commitment. I hope he stays, but if he does leaves than he is not the man I thought he was and my life will go on.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:24:17 PM by bilsu »

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 07:18:03 PM »
I'm new to the boards. I was just wondering if people get nervous every time a coaching job opens, or if i should be legitimately scared we will have yet another coach bail on us? There seems to be a lot of talk and i just want to know if this happens a lot.

Seems like only at Marquette and a few others.  Very similar to what Tulsa went through a few years back and what Xavier goes through now.  Like I said once it's out there, your coach is gone maybe not this year or next..but it's coming. So I would be worried if you are a Buzz Williams fan.   Wish we could be like Villanova for a change.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 07:22:05 PM »
Wait, are you making another ad naseum statement to prove a point from some argument that has its roots back in the Commodore 64 era?

Love the Commodore 64 reference.  We had one, actually had the VIC20 before that.

Just showing the double standards....and it was more like arguments made ad nauseum in the last few years and repeated as recently as this past week.

Again, I find it funny that the "douchebag" did this and was drilled for it, but apparently no big deal when someone else does.  Amazing double standards over the years on so many things.  Quite entertaining.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 07:23:58 PM »
Is there any way MU restructures Buzz's contract after this season with a large buyout to help with the being called as the next coach a handful of times each year?

If a school such as OU or AR really wants a coach..they will most likely pay whatever the buyout clause is.. It certainly can run off some schools but not usually the big boys.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 07:25:01 PM »
I think MU should be looking around for a potential replacement for Buzz, given all the buzz, pun intended re: his departure. This is not that important as MU will survive and most likely thrive if he departs. He is not even a proven commodity. Goodbye, adios, ciao baby, see ya

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 07:26:08 PM »
Once Travis Diener learns how to coach he can be our next Jim Boeheim. 

groove

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 07:28:39 PM »
Which current mu players and next years incoming new players will follow buzz when he leaves. What about the guys he is currently recruiting

JerryWizig

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 07:30:24 PM »
I'd be more worried about Buzz leaving for Arkansas than Oklahoma or Texas Tech. Arkansas is a good job. Some on this board may be too young to remember, but it was among the top programs in the country year in and year out in the early- to mid-90s. It's got a lot of fan support and plays in a big building.

I'm surprised they aren't pushing harder for Mike Anderson, though. Maybe he's come out and said he's staying put.

As long as MU is making the NCAA tournament every year, Buzz's name is going to be popping up for every coaching search, especially in the south. We should all get used to it.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 07:30:54 PM »
Love the Commodore 64 reference.  We had one, actually had the VIC20 before that.

Just showing the double standards....and it was more like arguments made ad nauseum in the last few years and repeated as recently as this past week.

Again, I find it funny that the "douchebag" did this and was drilled for it, but apparently no big deal when someone else does.  Amazing double standards over the years on so many things.  Quite entertaining.

Ah, well, then. Thanks for showing us the light.

Honestly, I don't believe Crean floated his name out there. He may have, but what would he gain, other than an offer. But, you don't gain offers from journalists. You do from schools and there are much more effective ways of letting your interest be known than floating your name out to Gary Parrish.

But, the difference between you and I, is that I upgraded to a Macintosh, and then to an IBM, then to a PC, where I was stuck for awhile, until I upgraded back to a Mac. Meanwhile, you keep harping about how cool the floopy disk drive is on the C64.

Give it up.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 07:35:04 PM »
I'd be more worried about Buzz leaving for Arkansas than Oklahoma or Texas Tech. Arkansas is a good job. Some on this board may be too young to remember, but it was among the top programs in the country year in and year out in the early- to mid-90s. It's got a lot of fan support and plays in a big building.

I'm surprised they aren't pushing harder for Mike Anderson, though. Maybe he's come out and said he's staying put.

As long as MU is making the NCAA tournament every year, Buzz's name is going to be popping up for every coaching search, especially in the south. We should all get used to it.

They are pushing hard for Mike Anderson, but there is a group of alums down there that are still very bitter about the Nolan Richardson saga.  Nolan suing the school, airing a lot of dirty laundry irked many Hog fans.  Anderson is considered to be loyal to Nolan in a number of circles, at least that's the feeling from some.  That could be a problem in him landing the job.

Nevertheless, no one is going to sign a coach while they are in the middle of the NCAA tournament, which Anderson and Buzz are.  This stuff will sort itself out as teams are eliminated.