Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Garry Parrish says Buzz will take either OU or Ark job  (Read 25507 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Garry Parrish says Buzz will take either OU or Ark job
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 07:37:23 PM »
Ah, well, then. Thanks for showing us the light.

Honestly, I don't believe Crean floated his name out there. He may have, but what would he gain, other than an offer. But, you don't gain offers from journalists. You do from schools and there are much more effective ways of letting your interest be known than floating your name out to Gary Parrish.

But, the difference between you and I, is that I upgraded to a Macintosh, and then to an IBM, then to a PC, where I was stuck for awhile, until I upgraded back to a Mac. Meanwhile, you keep harping about how cool the floopy disk drive is on the C64.

Give it up.

The floopy disk?  I missed that one. The C64 had a tape drive via the cassette.  I went from Vic 20 to C-64, to TRS80, to a 286, a 486, and kept on going.  Never a MAC.

Let me give you a piece of advice which you can throw away or adhere to, your choice.  USE THE IGNORE BUTTON. 

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 07:37:43 PM »
Which current mu players and next years incoming new players will follow buzz when he leaves. What about the guys he is currently recruiting

All the incoming freshman would leave, maybe Jamail Jones and Gardner as well.  The rest on the team would stay I believe.  It wouldn't be so damaging to us because we have a couple years to survive with highly rated 4 year players rather than JUCOs, while the new guy gets his own guys in.  We'll be fine as long as we keep Cadougan, Blue, OTule, Wilson, DJO, and Crowder; and the new guy can fill it with a couple of top 25 recruiting classes and actually sticks around until they graduate.  

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 07:43:56 PM »
I think MU should be looking around for a potential replacement for Buzz, given all the buzz, pun intended re: his departure. This is not that important as MU will survive and most likely thrive if he departs. He is not even a proven commodity. Goodbye, adios, ciao baby, see ya

Most universities keep lists of some degree to start from in case their coach leaves or if the university is feeling like their coach may need to be replaced in the not to distant future.

The absolute last thing though that Marquette should be doing right now is contacting other coaches based just on media talking heads saying/guessing that Buzz will take one of these jobs in the south. That's all Parrish did in this interview, take a guess.

We as fans have no idea if Buzz has any legit interest in leaving, he very well could be very happy here and he fully intends to stay. Him hearing about the university calling about other coaches though could rightfully so irritate him if he has no intention of leaving.

If worst case Buzz did choose to take one of these jobs after the season ended, there will be plenty of time to hire a replacement.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 08:24:02 PM »
MU better not let him slip away. Time for Cottingham to act like an AD and get the fire put out ASAP.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 08:26:15 PM »
GP and Goodman are Buzz's guys. This has some merit.

Unlike last time, I'm not too concerned if he leaves.

He leaves and say goodbye to Anderson and Mayo. Other than that you should not be concerned.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 08:47:21 PM »
The time to build your 'go-to' back-up list in case your coach bolts is during the off-season and regular season. It's NOT in a time of crisis. Cottingham proved that he had no effing clue the first time around and was ill-prepared to go right after someone. Hopefully he has a clue this time around...if Buzz is gone.

One other question....although we'll never be one of the top 5-6 names thought of in the Big East, why the eff can't we be like Villanova? Hang onto our coach for at least a decade? You get a decade out of someone, that's pretty solid today.

Buzz' name out there has me concerned, but it's also a sign that he's respected and liked across the board. And since he doesn't have an agent, I'd like to think he ain't floating his name out there. You can't help it if other people (reporters) toss your name out there for every southern job just cuz you got a southern drawl. We (MU) can't ever have a truly successful coach whose name ISN'T tossed around. Why? Because perception is reality and Marquette is viewed as a stepping stone job for a premier job.

There's nothing we can ever do about that.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 09:05:31 PM »
Wait, are you saying he is floating his name out to reporters....

Its pretty clear to anyone who hears this that Buzz Williams is talking to Gary Parrish about his interst in TT, Arkansas and Oklahoma. Interesting that he spent more time talking about Buzz and not Mike Anderson, even though Mike Anderson is an apparent frontrunner.

How does this guy know stuff is going on behind the scenes with a third party.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 09:11:31 PM »
I don't know if it's clear that Buzz is talking to Parrish about the jobs. But I think it's obvious he HAS talked to Parrish in the past about whatever. Even said so in the i-view. Buzz is always talking to him promoting the program. That has built up an affinity for him from Parrish.

I remember 8 weeks ago that Harbaugh was a done deal, slam dunk to Michigan and that didn't happen.

...then again, he DID end up leaving Stanford anyway so, maybe not the best example.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 09:12:01 PM »
Is Parrish that tight with Buzz? I always thought Goodman was the one he was real close with and have been interested to see what he says. It seems like Goodman said Buzz's name would be mentioned, but he didn't think Buzz would leave.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
He leaves and say goodbye to Anderson and Mayo. Other than that you should not be concerned.

Im not so sure about anderson leaving if buzz was gone, especially if benford was still here

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »
Im not so sure about anderson leaving if buzz was gone, especially if benford was still here

That, and Juan is real tight with the current players already.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2011, 08:22:43 AM »
I'd be more worried about Buzz leaving for Arkansas than Oklahoma or Texas Tech. Arkansas is a good job. Some on this board may be too young to remember, but it was among the top programs in the country year in and year out in the early- to mid-90s. It's got a lot of fan support and plays in a big building.

I'm surprised they aren't pushing harder for Mike Anderson, though. Maybe he's come out and said he's staying put.

As long as MU is making the NCAA tournament every year, Buzz's name is going to be popping up for every coaching search, especially in the south. We should all get used to it.

Depaul plays in a big building and had great success in the 1980's....

Should we be worried about them too

Just sayin
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 08:40:08 AM »
Have you guys ever seen this guy?

Thank you for pointing that out. I have never been able to get over that image.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 08:44:18 AM »
Wait, are you saying he is floating his name out to reporters....

Goodman, who is actually Buzz's guy if he has one in the media, said he thought OU would look at Buzz, not the other way around.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2011, 08:46:28 AM »

He looks like The Miz.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 09:00:28 AM »
why leave for 2 schools that are football dominant?
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2011, 09:04:04 AM »
It's harsh, but not surprising....article from New Orleans sports writer on Buzz potentially leaving.  Obviously they have a different point of view on things

http://www.neworleans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=566765&Itemid=578

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2011, 09:16:12 AM »
Buzz hasn't post game cried for awhile and that's a good thing.    Remember when he first started the water works were coming every game,  annoying more than anything. 

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2011, 09:23:50 AM »
I'm new to the boards. I was just wondering if people get nervous every time a coaching job opens, or if i should be legitimately scared we will have yet another coach bail on us? There seems to be a lot of talk and i just want to know if this happens a lot.

People get nervous whenever there is a coaching change.
We Are Marquette

nyg

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2011, 09:27:45 AM »
It's harsh, but not surprising....article from New Orleans sports writer on Buzz potentially leaving.  Obviously they have a different point of view on things

http://www.neworleans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=566765&Itemid=578

Jeez, that was brutal.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2011, 09:32:57 AM »
Buzz may have no intention of leaving but saying that over and over is not good for your negotiating stance.  He may have learned from crispy that if you do not stomp out the fire the renegotiation is a little easier and the paycheck is a little fatter. 

If there is a new contract in the next couple of days/weeks I would not be surprised.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2011, 09:49:18 AM »

Not a New Orleans sportswriter, nor a particularly objective source. His comments may be spot-on for all I know (though someone would have to point out to me the last time Buzz needed tissues for a postgame interview), but we should at least be aware of Mr. Wagenheim's obvious bias. Buzz's departure was part of a chain of events that brought about the end of UNO D-I basketball, and, as a result, Wagenheim's job. Think he might be a tad bitter?

"Wagenheim is the “Voice of UNO Athletics,” serving as the radio play-by-play broadcaster for the Privateer men’s and women’s basketball teams, as well as the baseball team. He also hosts the "UNO Basketball Hour" and the "Bruce Peddie Show" on the radio, as well as the department's television shows. "
http://www.unoprivateers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16700&ATCLID=1275344

mviale

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2011, 09:58:36 AM »

Obviously an insider.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2011, 10:00:28 AM »
I don't think money will be a motivation.  MU will match all offers.  I think it will be lifestyle-related/job pressure-related.  

If read between the lines, Buzz seems a little thin-skinned with regard to criticism of his coaching ability recently.  Could the grind of the Big East really be getting to him or some of the big donors/supporters of the program actually been critical?  Does Buzz read the message boards which have had a vocal minority who have been critical?

I think if these are reasons for leaving, he will not find it any different at any major program, Arkansas included.  The pressure is huge anywhere you go.  If he does leave he will be making a huge mistake for himself and his family from a career point of view.  He would be what is called a "job hopper."  He will not have even been here for one full recruiting cycle (i.e., 4 years).  Most of his stints in other positions have been 2-3 years before he gets the itch to move on.  I think it behooves him career-wise for the world to see what he can do with his own recruits before looking around.  

Goose

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2011, 10:03:56 AM »
Buzz might look dumb but he ain't stupid. Heading south with bigger long term contract makes the most sense for he and his family. I will say he if leaves he made the most out of nothing I have ever seen. From unemployed to possible bidding war for his services shows exactly why the USA is the greatest country ever!