Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Myths we can now put to rest  (Read 8491 times)

tower912

• All American
Myths we can now put to rest
« on: March 10, 2011, 06:19:10 AM »
1.   Buzz has lost the team
2.  Buzz can't make adjustments.   The press got us back into it and when he called the TO, he made adjustments to attack the 1-3-1.    Going small at the end really helped us defend the 3
3.   We have a weakness at 5.   Young.   Will still be inconsistent at times, but we will be fine.
4.   Junior is a disappointment/can't be the PG next year
5.   Buzz can't develop young guys.   Hello, Junior, CO, and DG
6.   This team is better when it slows down and values each possession.  (This one is for you, murf)
7.    Having a team meeting immediately after a game doesn't work

We still aren't going to win the national championship this year.   The BEast is really tough and sometimes you lose to really good teams.   But this is a good team and Buzz can coach.   Interesting that it was the young guys carrying the team during the second half and not the upperclassmen.  (until DJO's 3's)   Upperclassmen still looked tentative on offense during crunch time.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Myths we can now put to rest
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 06:33:47 AM »
And Buzz is doing it with all of his guys for the first time.  As Ners pointed out in a different thread, after the amigos left, all we had was Lazar, Hazel, Cubillan, and Acker from the Crean era.  Buzz brought in his people and we haven't missed a beat.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 06:34:49 AM »
I never heard ANY of those "myths" except maybe the part about point guard. Junior was phenomenal last night. He also was great at UConn and proceeded to lay eggs vs. both St John's and Seton Hall. If he can bring it like that every game, we've got something here. Louisville's pressure will be a huge test.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 08:19:39 AM »
And Buzz is doing it with all of his guys for the first time.  As Ners pointed out in a different thread, after the amigos left, all we had was Lazar, Hazel, Cubillan, and Acker from the Crean era.  Buzz brought in his people and we haven't missed a beat.

Otule and Fulce were signed under Crean.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 08:23:44 AM »
8.  The baby blue uniforms are jinxed.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 08:30:26 AM »

With all due respect....finishing in 9th is missing a beat compared to the past.  Unless you mean not missing the tournament...which I agree.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 08:35:34 AM »

But both were signed because of Buzz's Texas connection. They are Buzz's guys. I do not remember, but Butler may have also signed under Crean.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 08:37:27 AM »
But both were signed because of Buzz's Texas connection. They are Buzz's guys. I do not remember, but Butler may have also signed under Crean.

Butler was when Buzz became head coach.

Fulce and Otule signed to play for head coach Crean. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 08:39:19 AM »
With all due respect....finishing in 9th is missing a beat compared to the past.  Unless you mean not missing the tournament...which I agree.

I agree but what I have been thinking at times this year is that in the past 2 years I have had Marquette beating USU, Mizzou, and Memphis to make the Elite Eight and then Washington and NM to make the Sweet 16.  While I know those were somewhat biased, wishful predictions on my part, we were one possession away on both of those.  And this year I have at times felt hopeless about there teams and have always held that we are a 1st round exit this year.  This could be the year that we somehow make a run to the Sweet 16 or Elite Eight out of nowhere, depending on draw.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 08:42:24 AM »

With all due respect, I've already put this myth to bed.  Looking at 11-7 vs. last year's schedule and 9-9 vs. this year's schedule and calling it "missing a beat" is putting your head in the sand and willfully ignoring context.  This year's conference schedule was MUCH tougher than last year.  Keep towing the party line though!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 08:43:34 AM »

Fulce signed with MU because of Buzz. If Buzz had been an assistant a different school, Fulce likely would have gone to that school instead.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 08:45:22 AM »
Fulce signed with MU because of Buzz. If Buzz had been an assistant a different school, Fulce likely would have gone to that school instead.

How can you possibly say that?  Fulce only followed him from T A&M to UNO to JUCO to MU.  Technically Crean signed him, so he's a Crean recruit.  Ignore all context!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 08:46:18 AM »

My interpretation of "not missing a beat" was that MU has not seen a signficant decline in talent or on-court success under Buzz, which is often the case when a coach defects. To each his own.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 08:51:16 AM »
Another myth put to rest:

"This team does not deserve a bid!  If we make it to the tournament it's only because of the expanded field/soft bubble/lunar eclipse/Hale Bopp comet's orbital trajectory!"

This team's resume would have deserved a bid in any year prior, period.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 08:56:46 AM »
Until we lose our next game!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 08:59:46 AM »
1.   Buzz has lost the team
2.  Buzz can't make adjustments.   The press got us back into it and when he called the TO, he made adjustments to attack the 1-3-1.    Going small at the end really helped us defend the 3
3.   We have a weakness at 5.   Young.   Will still be inconsistent at times, but we will be fine.
4.   Junior is a disappointment/can't be the PG next year
5.   Buzz can't develop young guys.   Hello, Junior, CO, and DG
6.   This team is better when it slows down and values each possession.  (This one is for you, murf)
7.    Having a team meeting immediately after a game doesn't work

We still aren't going to win the national championship this year.   The BEast is really tough and sometimes you lose to really good teams.   But this is a good team and Buzz can coach.   Interesting that it was the young guys carrying the team during the second half and not the upperclassmen.  (until DJO's 3's)   Upperclassmen still looked tentative on offense during crunch time.

I'm glad 1 win can solve all of these issues. I can't wait for everything the next win solves.

Oil crisis maybe?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 09:03:12 AM »
I never heard ANY of those "myths" except maybe the part about point guard. Junior was phenomenal last night. He also was great at UConn and proceeded to lay eggs vs. both St John's and Seton Hall. If he can bring it like that every game, we've got something here. Louisville's pressure will be a huge test.

I believe it was 79 Warrior who reported that his sources said that Buzz had "lost the team". Complaints about Buzz's lack of adjustments and poor development of young players have been common. Murf believes we should be a slow tempo team. Cadougan's plusses and minusses have been discussed forever. I think Chicos' sources reported that the coaching staff had concluded that he was not all that and would never be.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 09:30:59 AM »

Thank you again for your wisdom.  Who was the lead recruiter on Fulce and Otule?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 09:35:24 AM »
We need to get a coach that can compete within the Big East.  Buzz is simply overmatched as there are so many Hall of Fame caliber coaches in the Big East.

Where is "Groove?"

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 09:38:31 AM »

Then recommitted to play for head coach Williams.
It's funny ... the same guys who say Fulce and Otule signed to play for Crean are the ones that blame Buzz when guys like Christopherson, Mbakwe, Taylor and Williams transferred or asked out of their LOIs.
Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Regardless, anyone who thinks Crean gets the credit for the recruitment of Otule or Fulce is completely divorced from reality.

leever

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 09:49:31 AM »
Funny thing - Buzz is a pretty damn good coach when the players play a pretty damn good game.  At least for some on this board, he is best suited to coach a D3 team anytime the players play a bad game.

On a related note, why do we have to reply to CBB "with all due respect"?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 10:14:50 AM »
I'm glad 1 win can solve all of these issues. I can't wait for everything the next win solves.

Oil crisis maybe?

True. Those positive about our players and coaches use victory to taunt the haters.

Those negative about our players and coaches use defeat to taunt the fanboys.

Neither side will accept the other's chararterization. Both will insist that fairness and rationality underpin their conclusions.

I'm schitzophrenic. During the games I'm waiting for things to unravel. Every mistake has me off my feet screaming and every good play is more relief than joy. Afterwards comes joy in victory or perspective (hopefully) in defeat.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 11:41:03 AM »

He is a priest.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 12:13:53 PM »
Funny thing - Buzz is a pretty damn good coach when the players play a pretty damn good game.  At least for some on this board, he is best suited to coach a D3 team anytime the players play a bad game.

Because if you have Direct TV and piss him off, he will cut off your feed in the middle of a Marquette run!   :)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 01:17:29 PM »
True. Those positive about our players and coaches use victory to taunt the haters.

Those negative about our players and coaches use defeat to taunt the fanboys.

Neither side will accept the other's chararterization. Both will insist that fairness and rationality underpin their conclusions.

I'm schitzophrenic. During the games I'm waiting for things to unravel. Every mistake has me off my feet screaming and every good play is more relief than joy. Afterwards comes joy in victory or perspective (hopefully) in defeat.

Bingo.

I'm guilty of it too, but I'm still amazed at the emotional "thinking" that goes on around here.

When MU wins, it proves Buzz and Co. shouldn't be questioned and have no problems. When they lose, Buzz is over his head and next year they will be worse.

C'mon people... have a little perspective.

With this said, great aggressiveness and great wins the past 2 nights. Outside of the ND game at home, I think this is the best they have played. I also like the rotations on the bench. I feel like it keeps them a little fresher and they run and gun pretty hard.