[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gottlieb tweeting that Buzz would be interested in Arkansas job  (Read 18800 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Gottlieb tweeting that Buzz would be interested in Arkansas job
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2011, 02:28:22 PM »
Buzz should be happy to have a passionate fanbase here.  He wouldn't get blind support at any high major school.

I'd say that from an administration perspective, under Father Wild, Crean and Buzz have had GREAT support.  With regard to fan support - good from an attendance perspective - yet like anywhere, I guess - we certainly have our fair share of idiots.  I was surprised to talk with 20 of my close MU friends at a reunion I put together centered around the Syracuse game - about 10-13 were luke warm on Buzz.  It surprised me to say the least.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

reinko

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2011, 02:41:28 PM »
Put to rest...for now

Make sure you link it next time.  TheIWB will NOT be happy.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2011, 02:55:05 PM »
So it started out of negative recruiting....like accusing a coach of cheating or something.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

marquettewade3

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2011, 03:18:22 PM »
If Buzz plans on leaving, it is largely due to the pressure by some MU fans for over achieving this season and last year. One must know that cold Milwaukee, is not a highly touted destination for coaches and prime time athletes. We are absolutely lucky to have a coach like Buzz. The only reason why top 100 recruits are coming to MU is because of BUZZ and his coaching staff!

I see your point and I like Buzz too.  I know nothing about it, but I can't imagine Fayetteville, Arkansas is a paradise compared to Milwaukee.  I would like to think a good program and quality coach would be why a player chooses a school, not just the climate.  Ohio State does pretty well (currently #1) and their weather sucks as bad as ours.  For the record, I hate OSU.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2011, 03:43:37 PM »
Ohio State does pretty well (currently #1) and their weather sucks as bad as ours.

Not even close.  I have no love at all for OSU, but it's not really even close.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2011, 03:47:33 PM »
A few years ago there were a thread where we counted 7 schools that were SIGNIFICANTLY better jobs than MU.  I stick to my conclusion that he stays until one of those schools have an opening and he has enough success to be picked as their guy.  

This is a mostly lateral move and even if the program is a little bit better off...  Do they have the kind of recruiting classes we have here? Religion, doesn't it seem pretty important to Buzz? Uprooting his family? Yeah it's closer to Texas, but does he have friends there?  

why would he leave a school that's going on making the NCAA 7 straight times? When buzz leaves, it will be to a top-top school.  

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »

why would he leave a school that's going on making the NCAA 7 straight times? When buzz leaves, it will be to a top-top school.  

That would be 6, not 7 straight  times.
Ludum habemus.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2011, 03:52:53 PM »
Maybe Kansas, but not ArKansas
Maybe Indiana but not Arkansas.
Players win awards but teams win championships

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2011, 03:56:02 PM »
If Buzz plans on leaving, it is largely due to the pressure by some MU fans for over achieving this season and last year. One must know that cold Milwaukee, is not a highly touted destination for coaches and prime time athletes. We are absolutely lucky to have a coach like Buzz. The only reason why top 100 recruits are coming to MU is because of BUZZ and his coaching staff!

Please stop with your insanity.  If you think pressure at MU is high, you're kidding yourself compared to other places.

We had a ton of top 100 recruits come to MU before Buzz

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2011, 03:59:26 PM »
+1

It would seem very uncharacteristic of Buzz to leave. As it stands today, I still 100% take him for his word.

Really?  New Orleans fans might not agree with you

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2011, 04:03:30 PM »
I like Buzz Williams, and therefore, I think Gottlieb is jumping the gun a little bit.

or

I dislike Buzz Williams, and therefore, I think he is leaking his name to various media members in an attempt to get a new job/raise.

That's how this is going to go down, right? If we "like" our coach, we will shrug this kind of stuff off. If we dislike him, tweets will be the smoking gun we are looking for to prove it.

Saw this earlier, and I think this is probably the most accurate depiction of this topic.

And for the record, I like Buzz and think Gottlieb is jumping the gun. ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

6746jonesr

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2011, 04:07:44 PM »
I think when coaches choose to leave, it is for another new challenge.  It doesn't necessarily imply a negative to the current job, although it could.  Buzz has demonstrated an ability to recruit nationally, so I don't imagine leve MU for Arkasas would be so he could be closer to his texas recruiting areas.  

Coaches come and go, with only a handful staying at the same place for their entire career.  Hopefully we will have Buzz for awhile longer, but I don't think he will leave because he isn't paid enough at MU, or the fans don't appreciate him.  I think the Marquette job does have a lot of benefits.  First, basketball is the only show, and you do not have to compete or play second fiddle to football.  Second, they pay their coaches very well.  I don't think anyone could say that Crean was underpaid at MU.  While it is true that state schools have a competitive advantages at recruiting in-state kids, I do believe that a coach can overcome that in time by building a successful program.  I do believe that Buzz has the program pointed in the right direction, and I can only hope that he sticks around long enough to take us to where we want to be.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2011, 04:32:57 PM »

New Orleans fans disagree with much of conventional wisdom... like that time-tested rule about not building something below sea level next to the sea.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2011, 04:49:46 PM »
My friend texted Buzz. Buzz said he isn't going anywhere.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2011, 04:52:01 PM »

I read on a message board that someone's friend texted Buzz and Buzz said he's not going anywhere. 

Glad we resolved that, now this thread can end.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2011, 04:53:06 PM »
Unless the guy is a bum texting students back saying im not going anywhere is a good sign for me.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2011, 05:38:58 PM »
That would be 6, not 7 straight  times.

I'm callign it now and saying we are on our way to 7.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2011, 05:46:37 PM »

New Orleans has fans?
Regardless, why would they still be upset about losing a coach who's not even among the 300 best in the country?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2011, 05:49:29 PM »

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2011, 06:00:48 PM »

Buzz has time today (on the eve of the biggest game of the season) to reply to such a trivial message?

Either your friend is full of BS, or Buzz has some very misplaced priorities.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2011, 09:08:53 PM »
I like Buzz Williams, and therefore, I think Gottlieb is jumping the gun a little bit.

or

I dislike Buzz Williams, and therefore, I think he is leaking his name to various media members in an attempt to get a new job/raise.

That's how this is going to go down, right? If we "like" our coach, we will shrug this kind of stuff off. If we dislike him, tweets will be the smoking gun we are looking for to prove it.

As an amendment to my previous post, now that MU has lost, I will dislike Buzz again, and now I will complain about the Arkansas thing.

Too bad they didn't win.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2011, 09:13:44 PM »
New Orleans fans disagree with much of conventional wisdom... like that time-tested rule about not building something below sea level next to the sea.

Lol.  Very true.

The idea that it's uncharacteristic for him to leave still remains.  It's very much in his character so far.  That will only change with time when he sticks at a place for a long period.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2011, 09:15:17 PM »
Don't forget, Buzz would have to be a whole different person if we were to become a state actor.  Tax payers cannot pay for a coach to spread God's Word at a public school.  MU fits Buzz like a glove in that respect.

Arkansas makes less and less sense the more I think about it.  These last three years have been tough without having two recruiting classes.  Why would Buzz want to make a parallel move and build up a program again?  He finally has his program developed, and why start back at the bottom.  Crean was in the same spot where he had just built up a program and it was ready to just roll along.  However, rightfully so, "it's Indiana."  You just have to take that job.  Arkansas is not even close in my opinion.  

Buzz may leave some day, but why not wait for the absolute perfect job?  There is no reason to bounce around all the time, especially if he is getting paid well.

Yeah, I was shocked that Crean was willing to leave that big man pipeline he had developed at MU, even for Indiana.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2011, 09:17:54 PM »
The idea that it's uncharacteristic for him to leave still remains.  It's very much in his character so far.  That will only change with time when he sticks at a place for a long period.

Or, he's 0-1 at the line.  Hard to tell if he's a good free throw shooter, but you certainly seem to like to insinuate that he might not be.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2011, 09:18:56 PM »
Lol.  Very true.

The idea that it's uncharacteristic for him to leave still remains.  It's very much in his character so far.  That will only change with time when he sticks at a place for a long period.

Come on, Chicos.  I know that you know the circumstances under which Buzz left New Orleans.  NO dropping out of Division I shows that he was right about the lack of institutional commitment there.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.