Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crean: "Pretty much guarantee no McNeal this weekend"  (Read 3054 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Crean: "Pretty much guarantee no McNeal this weekend"
« on: March 13, 2007, 08:58:26 AM »
per Mike & Mike interview on ESPN Radio this morning.

Still have to hold out hope.  It's going to be tough to get past MSU without McNeal, and damn near impossible to get past UNC (should we get the oppportunity).

AlumKCof93

• All American
Re: Crean: "Pretty much guarantee no McNeal this weekend"
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 10:18:58 AM »
I think its pretty obvious that there's no chance McNeal will be playing this weekend.  Having McNeal say that he's day-to-day while he's not even suited up to play any of the games was all part of a strategic decision to hope his injury didn't affect our seeding.  It obviously didn't work.

For Crean to then go on a national radio show shortly after the seedings are out and acknowledge he's not playing is still part of the strategy.  I'm more concerned with how the injury occurred than how they've controlled the news regarding it.  But I'll save my frustration for that following our tournament run ends in a few weeks.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 10:33:50 AM »
I think its pretty obvious that there's no chance McNeal will be playing this weekend.  Having McNeal say that he's day-to-day while he's not even suited up to play any of the games was all part of a strategic decision to hope his injury didn't affect our seeding.  It obviously didn't work.

For Crean to then go on a national radio show shortly after the seedings are out and acknowledge he's not playing is still part of the strategy.  I'm more concerned with how the injury occurred than how they've controlled the news regarding it.  But I'll save my frustration for that following our tournament run ends in a few weeks.

I agree, it'll be interesting to find out how the injury happened...if we ever do.  This makes two of the last 3 years that our best player (arguably) goes down in practice right before the end of the season.  I'm all for going 110% to prepare for games but can't they turn it down on notch with a week to go in the regular season!!  You can still maintain the intensity without killing each other. 

If he hurt it going after a loose ball or trying to make a play that's one thing....so, clearly, I (along with everyone else) should reserve criticism/judgement but it's definitely a concern.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 10:49:56 AM »
I half still expect that, about 30 minutes before MSU or UNC game time, we hear Crean come out and say:

"Jerel McNeal WILL be playing - he's had an incredible recovery in the past few days - one that we are still having trouble believing ourselves.  This is such a great kid and for him to be able to participate in these games considering how responsible he is for getting us here is awesome.  Couldn't be happier for him and he absolutely deserves it."

I mean, if Crean was playing strategy on trying to prevent the committee from dropping MU's seed because of it, who's to say he's not also playing strategy to launch a "surprise attack" going into the games.

Course, I would then love to see the "oh crud!" look on Izzo's or William's face.  :D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 10:58:55 AM »
I have to agree with you here.  Let the chess game begin.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 11:07:22 AM »
I hope your right Spiral.  While I'm unhappy that we won't have McNeal if we don't play, I'd feel even worse for him.  He's such a tough player and as responsible as anyone for getting us into the tourney and for the fine season. Beyond that, he represents MU well as I really like his demeanor on the court.  If he is out, I'm glad he's a sophomore and we can watch him play for 2 more years. 
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 11:14:28 AM »

I agree, it'll be interesting to find out how the injury happened...if we ever do.  This makes two of the last 3 years that our best player (arguably) goes down in practice right before the end of the season.  I'm all for going 110% to prepare for games but can't they turn it down on notch with a week to go in the regular season!!  You can still maintain the intensity without killing each other. 

If he hurt it going after a loose ball or trying to make a play that's one thing....so, clearly, I (along with everyone else) should reserve criticism/judgement but it's definitely a concern.

Keep thinking conspiracy if you want, but here's what McNeal had to say to Rosiak...

How exactly did you injure it? "It was a situation where we were doing some 5-on-5 in practice and a guy was coming back in and beat off the dribble. I was reaching in to help get back and my thumb hit somebody's body - I'm not sure who because it happened so fast - and it feels like it jammed. But my thumb is so weak, I'm not really able to get any strength or make any aggressive catches with the ball. That's the main thing that's stopping my recovery right now."

Bottom line, it happens. 

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 11:57:21 AM »

I read somewhere that McNeal said it happened while he was trying to fight through a screen, and his thumb got caught up in the screener's jersey. I don't remember the exact details or where I read this, but rest assured, '84, this is no Travis Diener tackling dummy incident.

EDIT: For the life of me, I cannot remember/find where I had seen the description of how it happened. Therefore, don't quote me on that. Sorry fellas. I still don't believe it's a TD-type situation, but rather a legit in-practice injury.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 12:07:27 PM by IAmMarquette »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 12:11:43 PM »
EDIT: For the life of me, I cannot remember/find where I had seen the description of how it happened. Therefore, don't quote me on that. Sorry fellas. I still don't believe it's a TD-type situation, but rather a legit in-practice injury.

You mean, the quote from McNeal in Rosiaks' blog - that SoCal put in the post above yours?  ;)

MU737

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 01:08:22 PM »
I half still expect that, about 30 minutes before MSU or UNC game time, we hear Crean come out and say:

"Jerel McNeal WILL be playing - he's had an incredible recovery in the past few days - one that we are still having trouble believing ourselves.  This is such a great kid and for him to be able to participate in these games considering how responsible he is for getting us here is awesome.  Couldn't be happier for him and he absolutely deserves it."

I mean, if Crean was playing strategy on trying to prevent the committee from dropping MU's seed because of it, who's to say he's not also playing strategy to launch a "surprise attack" going into the games.

Course, I would then love to see the "oh crud!" look on Izzo's or William's face.  :D

I was talking about this situation with some friends at work, and we did not think that he would do that to Izzo, (keep a players status unknown till the end).  I am hopeful that he does play, and could see crean saying something different tomorrow, but I do not see it happening day of game because of the relationship, although I would like to see it.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 01:50:52 PM »

You mean, the quote from McNeal in Rosiaks' blog - that SoCal put in the post above yours?  ;)

::) LOL. That's the one. Thanks, rocky & socal.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 02:40:50 PM »

I was talking about this situation with some friends at work, and we did not think that he would do that to Izzo, (keep a players status unknown till the end).  I am hopeful that he does play, and could see crean saying something different tomorrow, but I do not see it happening day of game because of the relationship, although I would like to see it.

probably true.. and I had the thought that this first game will likely be a relatively respectful game between the players too.. in fact, if there was ever a time that a horrendously bad call was made by the refs and the benefiting coach contested it, this would probably be the game (although I very very highly doubt THAT would happen here either).

but before the UNC game might be a different story.  Then again, I seem to remember crean and williams having had quite a few calls and stuff (and maybe a scrimmage?) during the preseason of our final four season (which ironically was terminated by william's team).  Do I remember incorrectly?

Speaking of scrimmages, I wouldn't be surprised to see us schedule a pre-season scrimmage or two with MSU in the coming years (like the Kansas St. scrimmage this pre-season) in lieu of an exhibition game.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

feedback