Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Psychology of Message Boarders  (Read 1230 times)

reinko

• All American
Psychology of Message Boarders
« on: February 16, 2011, 10:37:52 AM »
Been around the way here at the 'Scoop for a few years now, and through the tough losses just noticed this trend of vitriol after the toughest of losses, especially to inferior opponents.  Now this is nothing new, we all know that after close wins, or tough losses, people come out of the woodwork to express frustration.  Again nothing new.

It may be just the internets being the internets, giving everyone a voice, and when people get incensed they feel the need to get noticed, and scream to high heaven.  Perhaps it is a coping mechanism for some, that if they release these negative emotions, it will make them feel better about the loss. 

Rooted in all of us is pride.  Pride in our school and our experience at Marquette, even though we all went to school at different times and different era's, MU basketball is the uniter.   We all care a great deal (probably more than we care to admit, but that's ok, I dig cheering for something larger than myself, reminding me of the awesome times I had at Marquette).  We want so badly to MU succeed, because when they do well, it makes us feel better, and equally, when they lose it makes us feel crappier.  I am not calling anyone out because that will get us nowhere, and I am not screaming these folks to get banned.  And if people choose to boo, well, I don't agree with you, and I think it's destructive for a variety of reasons, but thats another issue.  You are still free to do it.

It's a rough patch, we have had extended rough patches (5+ years), and this one has lasted about 6 weeks.  Not a lot of red meat in this post I know, call me a pollyanna, In Buzz we trust type of guy, crazy, stupid, or a kitten  :P , I just hope folks (and I think the vast majority of us on here do), remember that these games should be a reminder of pride in our alma mater, and if you are truly embarrassed, may you should find other outlets of entertainment and enjoyment.

radome

• Team Captain
Re: Psychology of Message Boarders
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:29:54 AM »
This is spot on for the way that I feel. Thanks for saying it so well.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »
This is not directed at anyone in particullar or any post in this thread.  I just think it fits in here, and something I've wanted to say in the past: 

Some fans (many on message boards in general, not just this board) seriously need to take a mental health step back.  "Supporting" or following their team is just too big a part of some/many posters lives.  Now, on the extreme there is someone like "Fran" who is a UW fan who used to post on MU boards (probably still does under a different name), who's life is run by college kids playing basketball.

The manic reactions on a big win or big loss, are kind of sad.  If you are not working for the team and are not on the team, and a loss is a big part of your life, you need to seriously look at the priorities in your life.  It is actually kind of sad how much of  themselves and their lives many on these boards (including all teams) invest in a team as a fan.  Be a fan, but if consumes your life or who you are, then please take a big step back.  The anger and how upset people get is disturbing, in my opinion. And yes, I know some of these posters are trolls!!

Go ahead and blast me.  I just really think there are some mental health issues that come out on these boards, and some people should really focus on their real lives more and not have such mood swings based upon how a team performs.  Be a fan, but keep perspective. 

Hey, I love Marquette and MU basketball.  But, I am an observer who understands that it is college kids that are trying damn hard.  If they were not trying, that would be another thing.  This is a team short on college experience with issues at the point guard spot, so maybe expectations were too high.  Just sit back and don't over react. 

GOO

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 11:49:41 AM »
One last thing.  If your over the age of about 18 and you boo college kids, maybe record how you do your job, studying or whatever you do, put it on the internet and let us all critic you and boo you when you screw up.  I'll guarantee that these kids work harder on a daily basis then anyone who has time to post on these boards - including me.  Ya, they get a scholarship, but the deal is work hard and do your best.  It isn't be perfect or be better than the guy across from you.  I didn't see anyone not trying to be their best last night.  Marquette teams have a history of working hard, and so do our coaches.  Well, one coach in the 90's maybe didn't work so hard. 

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 12:37:43 PM »
One last thing.  If your over the age of about 18 and you boo college kids, maybe record how you do your job, studying or whatever you do, put it on the internet and let us all critic you and boo you when you screw up.  I'll guarantee that these kids work harder on a daily basis then anyone who has time to post on these boards - including me.  Ya, they get a scholarship, but the deal is work hard and do your best.  It isn't be perfect or be better than the guy across from you.  I didn't see anyone not trying to be their best last night.  Marquette teams have a history of working hard, and so do our coaches.  Well, one coach in the 90's maybe didn't work so hard. 

Many of us do get critiqued every day.  When we screw up or don't do the things necessary we get yelled at by our bosses (Buzz) or clients (fans).  That doesn't mean we get fired or lose the client, it means they tell us in their own way that we need to do better. 

The comparison between the professional world and college athletics is a reach at best, but to continue the analogy, there is no doubt they are trying hard, but so too is the employee who thought he/she put together the best darn PowerPoint presentation ever, only to have it completely lambasted by others.  After getting yelled at and corrected, junior employee doesn't run to Twitter and post how he is all alone and gets no support, instead he goes back to his cube and corrects the mistakes...then goes out and gets hammered that night while pissing and moaning about his boss and clients to his friends.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 12:48:18 PM »
There are several "doctors" of poster interpretation and poster intent that have been here for a long time.  I think we should tap into their expertise.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 12:53:13 PM »
MU basketball isn't a matter of life or death - it's FAR more important than that!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 01:02:04 PM »
There are several "doctors" of poster interpretation and poster intent that have been here for a long time.  I think we should tap into their expertise.

What do you call a doctor that failed out of med school?

Wait for it..

A dentist!

Looking at your 4ever

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 01:09:38 PM »
I think it's harder to do a fan of a college team than a pro-team.  MU is our identity.  It is a statement about us.  Our education, our religion, the city (Milwaukee) we chose to live in.

The players are not over-paid pros.  They are us.  They are students.  We have them in class.  They know us by our first name (several did when I was at MU).  We have a 100% graduation rate.  They don't get in trouble.  They are like us.

So, we desperately want all these values to coexists with succeeding at the highest level in basketball that it affect us more than we want to admit.  

I think more so than at a state school that succeeds with players are constantly getting busted and a program that is constantly under investigation (I'm thinking Tennessee Football and Basketball).  I'm guessing those fans don't have their identity tied up witht he program like we do (or similar schools to MU such as Villanova)

Why do you think I'm blowing off work to write this?  Because MU matters that much to me!!