[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Would MU Be Better Off If Buzz Left?

Yes
15 (4.8%)
No
299 (95.2%)

Total Members Voted: 310

Author Topic: Vote: Should Buzz Leave MU?  (Read 6822 times)

Marquette84

• All American
Re: Vote: Should Buzz Leave MU?
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2011, 04:31:34 PM »
What a terrible question to pose as a blog headline.  Can't be more negative.  Another MU84, you need to retire quietly.

Corrected.

I didn't start the thread.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2011, 04:37:10 PM »
I thought T.J. Bray was Mr. Basketball for Wisconsin?  Or is there a POY and a Mr. Basketball in Wisconsin?

http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=505

"Wisconsin bound senior Josh Gasser of Port Washington was recently named the Gatorade Player of the Year for the state of Wisconsin.  Gasser averaged close to 24 PPG while leading Port Washington to a 19-5 record and a trip to the WIAA Division 1 Regional Finals where they bowed out to Whitefish Bay."

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2011, 04:45:38 PM »
This is ridiculous to answer a question if not Buzz, who? Buzz has not left. It would depend on the time and who might be available and who would be interested. And there would be candidates out there. I do have problems that MU picks guys that have to learn on the job--Crean and Buzz.

No Willie, you are ridiculous.  Every day I look at my employees and decide who needs to improve and who needs to leave.  The only way they leave is if I know I can find someone that is better, or with training/experience, will be better.  The ceiling on a guy like Buzz, that recruits well, seems pretty high.  So if I put myself in the MU's AD shoes I look at Buzz and figure it's easier for a coach to improve as a coach than as a recruiter.  So I make sure I hire someone that can do both, but definitely recruit.  Then I work with that coach to ensure he surrounds himself with other good coaches, and I set realistic goals for the coach and the program.  Meanwhile I monitor the national scene to decide what options I have if my coach leaves, if I fire him, or if something else happens and he can no longer be the coach of MU.  It would be foolish not to have a list of people in mind at all times because in such a high profile area, you can't be caught off guard.  So as I look at the national coaching scene I'm not sure there's anyone out there that would come to MU and do as good of a job as Buzz, and have the ceiling that Buzz has.  At that point I realize I need to continue pushing Buzz to get better, but I also need to make sure I treat him well because I can't do a heck of a lot better, and if he does prove to be something special the loyalty factor could mean more to Buzz than it did to TC or KO.  MU's had just as much of a problem holding on to successful coaches as it has finding them...  You offer no thought process, no ideas, just pointless demands.  If you were MU's AD I don't believe any coach with a brain would be interested in working for you if they have other options.  You mentioned MU needs to hire someone with coaching experience...we tried...he picked UVA, and I think UVA might just trade him for Buzz if they had the chance.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2011, 05:54:50 PM »
http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=505

"Wisconsin bound senior Josh Gasser of Port Washington was recently named the Gatorade Player of the Year for the state of Wisconsin.  Gasser averaged close to 24 PPG while leading Port Washington to a 19-5 record and a trip to the WIAA Division 1 Regional Finals where they bowed out to Whitefish Bay."

Thanks.  I guess they have one of each as Bray was "Mr. Basketball"

Untucked

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2011, 06:05:45 PM »
I believe Buzz is only in his fourth year of being a head coach at any level. His in game coaching moves have a lot to be desired, but he is truly a character guy, which goes a long way in my book. I think he will get better. He's a lot better coach than unfrozen caveman lawyer.
Q: What's the difference between Bo Ryan and God?
A: God doesn't think he's Bo Ryan!!

feedback