[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Would MU Be Better Off If Buzz Left?

Yes
15 (4.8%)
No
299 (95.2%)

Total Members Voted: 310

Author Topic: Vote: Should Buzz Leave MU?  (Read 6820 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Vote: Should Buzz Leave MU?
« on: February 14, 2011, 11:40:18 AM »
Ners and others are worried  that "many" among MU Nation want Buzz to leave believing he is not a good coach.

Discussion here http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=24442.0

Other have defended Buzz saying this is just a vocal minority of a few posters and not representative of the larger community.

Let's settle the issue on what "we" think about Buzz, please vote.

----

I voted no

What I've seen after 2 1/2 years, to vote yes, you would have to be out of your mind or not understand big time basketball.

So, yes voters explain to me why you voted to get rid of Buzz.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:44:16 AM by AnotherMU84 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Vote: Should Buzz Leave MU?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 11:52:17 AM »
To be fair, I don't think Ners really wants Buzz to leave, he was more saying that if Buzz left, everyone could stop complaining about him when the anti-Buzz crowd saw that we were even worse off without him. But I think this is a no-brainer. Obviously MU wouldn't be better off without Buzz. But nothing like another ridiculous topic on the front page.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 11:53:30 AM »
What I've seen after 2 1/2 years, to vote yes, you would have to be out of your mind or not understand big time basketball.

Yes, and yes.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:58:08 AM »
I was not trying to suggest that Ners wants Buzz to leave.  If my wording was bad, I apologize.

I'm hoping 200 to 300 will vote here and 95%+ will say no,  They we can put this issue to rest and show that all we only have less than a dozen cranks that say inflammatory things to get noticed.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
Way too early.
I think Buzz's tenure could be similiar to Bret Bielema.  Remember Bret first came in and had a great year with Barry's recruits (like the 3 amigos).  By the 3rd year the team seemed to have less talent and people were starting to wonder if Bret was the right guy. (That is where Buzz is right now).  In 2009 he seemed to turn it around and by now I think its pretty universal that Bret was a good choice.
To me NEXT year is Buzz's year to prove it.  If his guys are making progress and his recruiting is as good as it seemed when the guys signed MU should be clearly in the upper part of the league and easily in the tournement.  If we have another year with "just close" then I think you can ask this question.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 12:26:40 PM »
It is not way too early. I voted no, and believe that he should get one more year. But we better see a significant improvement. Buzz in conference:
2008-09: 11-7 mostly with Crean's guys
2009-10: 10-8 a mixture of recruits
This year: Likely 9-9 with all Buzz recruits
And I do not mean pad the non conference with cupcakes.

In addition, we continue to fall behind the top BEAst teams in recruiting.

If we do not improve to compete for a conference title next year, then the jury should be in.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 12:33:23 PM »

If we do not improve to compete for a conference title next year, then the jury should be in.
  Respectfully, in view of the lack of interest in the job when we last conducted a search, with whom would you replace Buzz?

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 12:35:56 PM »
To be fair, I don't think Ners really wants Buzz to leave, he was more saying that if Buzz left, everyone could stop complaining about him when the anti-Buzz crowd saw that we were even worse off without him. But I think this is a no-brainer. Obviously MU wouldn't be better off without Buzz. But nothing like another ridiculous topic on the front page.

Yes, but he still said that there were 'many' posters here calling for his head.  Because he thinks that when someone complains about a play out of a time out that means they want him fired.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 12:36:50 PM »
  Respectfully, in view of the lack of interest in the job when we last conducted a search, with whom would you replace Buzz?

See in Willie Warrior World, he just throws out demands, and it is so.

Hey Marquette. 

FIX IT!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 12:42:41 PM »
See, I have no problem with this poll, but can we please choose better titles?  No wonder people come here and think everyone is negative.  How about just "Buzz Poll", or "Is buzz the shiznit?".

Now we have two threads, by well intentioned folks, that give the immediate impression that MU hates Buzz.  *sigh*

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 12:45:48 PM »
I didn't vote...vague poll.  Are you asking if he should leave on his own?  Are you saying who would come in to replace him?  Too many variables.  Beside, it's silly.  It's an overreaction poll and nothing more.  If he does leave, let's say for Oklahoma or somewhere..then there will be fans here (like Ners) who will say, "SEE, with fans like ours who can blame him."  This is big boy DI athletics in the best league in the country, if the coach is leaving because a few people are on him on a message board then I think that would scream a lot of other issues.

At a high level, no, he shouldn't leave.  Does no good for Marquette University.  This is the choice we made several years ago....go after a recruiter and hope he can coach.  Everyone knew that was the deal and nothing has changed that 2.5 years later.  Now, should he leave on his own accord for what he thinks is a better gig for him...Oklahoma or wherever?  That's up to him...but remember he will stay "as long as Marquette will have him".

Let's face it, there will be losses to teams we should beat that will have some posters claim "SEE".  Then there will be wins against solid teams that will have other posters claim "SEE".  This debate probably doesn't go anywhere for quite some time...and that's the key...time.

Time will be the ultimate judge.

Buzz is a good guy, solid recruiter and a good coach.  He's in the toughest league around and that's tough for anyone.  I'd love for him to have a bit more experience on the staff to help him along as he's still cutting his teeth in a very difficult gig. 

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 01:11:30 PM »
68-0 as of 1:10pm CST...looks like a landslide, boys. Looks like MU would not be better off.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 01:13:03 PM »
See, I have no problem with this poll, but can we please choose better titles?  No wonder people come here and think everyone is negative.  How about just "Buzz Poll", or "Is buzz the shiznit?".

Now we have two threads, by well intentioned folks, that give the immediate impression that MU hates Buzz.  *sigh*

This.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 01:30:06 PM »
I voted no.  I don't want Buzz to leave.  I want him to improve.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 01:33:03 PM »
See in Willie Warrior World, he just throws out demands, and it is so.

Hey Marquette. 

FIX IT!

I didn't throw out demands. When you are paying a guy nearly 1 million zoidies per year, and the trend of his performance is regressing south, then it may be time to change. Perhaps you think a million a year is chump change-- I think it deserves performance. By the way, I said give him one more year to see if there is improvement. Maybe you did not read that.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 01:47:49 PM »
It is not way too early. I voted no, and believe that he should get one more year. But we better see a significant improvement. Buzz in conference:
And I do not mean pad the non conference with cupcakes.

I have seen you say "likely 9-9 this year" in a couple different threads.  Out of curiousity, which teams are the three losses against?  @UConn, @ Seton Hall?  Who do you think we lose to at home?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:49:51 PM by copious1218 »

GOO

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 01:49:31 PM »
I vote that I want him to stay 1000 times.  Stuffing the ballot box and cancelling out the naysayers.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 01:54:35 PM »
I vote that I want him to stay 1000 times.  Stuffing the ballot box and cancelling out the naysayers.
You can have my proxy vote.  Does that make it 2000?  He represents our school well.  We are a 10 seed-ish, so we are in the top 40, OK, room to improve but doing OK.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 01:57:05 PM »
Stuffing the ballot box and cancelling out the naysayers.

Stuffing the ballot box does not cancel out the naysayers.  Everyone knows that the best way to stop the naysayers is to post threads with ironic sarcastic titles that tell the naysayers to stop naysaying so damn much.

I meant "sarcastic," but for some reason the wrong word came to me.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 02:25:31 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 02:03:58 PM »

Good news! We've already seen improvement! Checked the records and we now are 12-6 in 2008-09 and 11-7 in 2009-10. If we can get 2010-11 to 10-8 you'll be calling for a raise and an extention.

leever

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 02:11:06 PM »
No room for naysayers!  Heavens to Betsy!  What if Buzz reads the board and sees something negative?  He might be discouraged and resign to take a 'dream job' somewhere else.
(should be in teal in case anyone can't guess that)

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 02:42:57 PM »
This vote settles it.  But i am pretty sure Buzz doesn't give 2 hoots about what this board thinks at this point in the season. He is too concerned about winning the next game (and possibly snagging the next recruit).

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 02:46:56 PM »
now, what really is the point of this poll?!?  ?-(
SS Marquette

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 03:12:45 PM »
We just got a bunch of guys that can't shoot straight. I don't want Buzz to leave. Someone
wrote lately, why can't we get some decent big guys? Is it academics, because other schools lesser than MU get some effective bigs. Oh yes, we also need some guys that can hit shots.
We talk about Buycks, Odom IS NOT NBA material. He looks sick. Especially like the USF game.
Still want JJ to play more. Crowder and Butler are the team.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 03:22:33 PM »
Buzz is learning on the job but has done a fine job and is great for our school. All positives. Remember what he started with. Its all trending up in what is a cutthroat business. With the size of our school and our location and all the other variables, I disagree with all the negativity. Our time will come...